• 393,924 Topics
• 22,230 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 [270] 271 272 273 ... 372   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 776934 times)

010HogFan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I Got Dat Wood Coach
Re: Road Trips
« Reply #13450 on: October 08, 2014, 10:11:28 am »

Doe's makes the best steak I've ever eaten. Their tamales aren't bad either.

I love the patio at Herman's. Good place to enjoy good food in a good environment.

AQ isn't what it used to be, but it still has a unique flavor I sometimes crave.

Marketplace has a good Cajun ribeye  and a cornucopia of other items. It will be quite a bit cheaper than Doe's Eat Place.

Foghorn 's uses fresh chicken, which makes for some good wings.

If you're looking for nightlife entertainment, I think you'll find Tangerine right up your ally. It's hard of me to think of that club without thinking of Bama fans.

There used to be a little burger chain...one location was at the light in Lowell on 71. They served sausageburgers. Ron's maybe? Are they still around?

Ron's Hamburgers and Chili. Just went there the other day. The sausageburger is awesome.

WizardofhOgZ

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #13451 on: October 08, 2014, 10:34:11 am »

Moved to Bentonville.  They are good though. 

Ron's has a second location (in Arkansas; they are all over the Tulsa area, where they orginated), but still has the spot on business 71 in Lowell. 

http://www.ronschili.com/locations.php

I was introduced to this place while doing a lot of business in Tulsa around Y2K, and it is still my favorite of ALL burger joints I have ever eaten at.  Nothing fancy - but good, old fashioned type hamburgers off the grill with fresh french fries.  And the chili is under-rated, an excellent choice on a cold Arkansas afternoon/evening.  The 1/2 burger, 1/2 sausage is a treat as ell.  If you are in an "all-in" mood, have some chili and cheese on top of it.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #13452 on: October 08, 2014, 10:39:23 am »

I saw Jerry Jeff Walker, David Allan Coe and George Thorgood and many other great acts at the Swinging Door.

For the old timers, Swinging Door, The Library, Maxines, D-Lux and On The Corner were all great places.  Also, had good times at a bar called Omar's.

Zorro and the Blue Footballs were part of the classic 70's Fayetteville expericience.

Don't forget the "Rink"... I think it was the River City Street Band's favorite Fayetteville haunt......

arkbadger

• Senior
« Reply #13453 on: October 08, 2014, 10:54:14 am »

bunch of gutter palates in here

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #13454 on: October 08, 2014, 11:40:19 am »

Don't forget the "Rink"... I think it was the River City Street Band's favorite Fayetteville haunt......

Yep, witnessed many a dances, functions, and almost always, throw downs out there. I'm surprised anyone had a driver's license in that era, I'm glad it's changed.

woodhog14

« Reply #13455 on: October 08, 2014, 12:43:34 pm »

Lots of great mentions in this thread.

One I haven't seen mentioned yet that is a great place to go is Farrell's Lounge Bar and Grill on Dickson. Farrell's is a Gastropub, so it's a chef driven menu, not your typical 'bar food'. They have a great selection of beer and the food is really good.

http://www.farrellslounge.com/

Overtheroadtruckdriver

« Reply #13456 on: October 08, 2014, 02:58:40 pm »

I would suggest Buddy's but nobody ever goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13457 on: October 08, 2014, 03:03:31 pm »

I would suggest Buddy's but nobody ever goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

So how can it be too crowded if no one goes?

BorderPatrol

« Reply #13458 on: October 08, 2014, 03:31:49 pm »

Haha, very carefully.

bp

Overtheroadtruckdriver

« Reply #13459 on: October 08, 2014, 03:38:23 pm »

Kind of a dumb question, don't you think?

I went to kindergarten (my favorite grade - only went half a day and most of that was spent napping, snacking, or watching andy griffith reruns).

Anyhow this one boy was crying ever day.  He didn't want to be there.

One day the teacher, like the rest of us, had had enough. She said:

Stop crying.

He said:  I'm not crying, my eyes are watering.

She said:  If you'd stop crying, your eyes would stop watering.

He said:  I can't stop crying, my eyes are watering!

So don't try to confuse me with questions like this.  I've been dealing with circular logic since kindergarten.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
« Reply #13460 on: October 08, 2014, 03:43:56 pm »

Old Yogi Berra quote. 

HogimusMaximus

« Reply #13461 on: October 08, 2014, 04:02:05 pm »

Burgers:  Hugo's over Feltner Bros and it isnt even close
Monte Ne is worth the drive for incredible chicken and family style eating
Taste of Thai
Pesto Cafe for Italian

Jimmy

• Senior
« Reply #13462 on: October 08, 2014, 04:27:07 pm »

Catfish Hole.....no alcohol, but good food.
Whole Hog BBQ
Herman's for a one-of-a-kind college town experience (don't let the exterior scare  you)
Hugo's for burgers
Doe's for steak......come hungry.  You will be right in the heart of the Dickson St. party district, too.
Mermaid's

/sarcasm on

• Varsity
  • Carpig Diem
« Reply #13463 on: October 08, 2014, 07:44:17 pm »

Ron's...is still my favorite of ALL burger joints I have ever eaten at.  Nothing fancy - but good, old fashioned type hamburgers off the grill with fresh french fries.  And the chili is under-rated, an excellent choice on a cold Arkansas afternoon/evening.  The 1/2 burger, 1/2 sausage is a treat as ell.  If you are in an "all-in" mood, have some chili and cheese on top of it.

The chili cheese half ham half sausage burger is amazing. You have to use a fork to eat it. They dump the chili & cheese over the top of the whole burger until it's almost running over the lip of the plate.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #13464 on: October 08, 2014, 08:31:04 pm »

If you are looking for good BBQ, then you will have to get it before you get to Northwest Arkansas.

Hog Pen BBQ   Conway

http://hogpenbbq.com/

Rivertowne BBQ   Ozark

http://rivertownebbq.com/

If you want a good hamburger in Fayetteville, the Backyard Burgers on College Avenue is a good choice.  Backyard Burgers utilizes high quality angus beef for their hamburgers.

If you want good home style cooking, the Cracker Barrel in Alma or the Cracker Barrel in Springdale is a good option.

hehawg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #13465 on: October 08, 2014, 08:34:01 pm »

Wish I could attend.  A falling out with the wife and im sleeping in the shop. Wait, thats a good thing..beer, fridge, bed, 70"tv...I might be ok after all! !

DLUXHOG

« Reply #13466 on: October 08, 2014, 08:49:57 pm »

If you are looking for good BBQ, then you will have to get it before you get to Northwest Arkansas......

Hog Pen BBQ   Conway

Rivertowne BBQ   Ozark

Actually Bubbas BBQ in Eureka is as good as it gets....

Overtheroadtruckdriver

« Reply #13467 on: October 08, 2014, 08:51:07 pm »

If you are looking for good BBQ, then you will have to get it before you get to Northwest Arkansas.

Hog Pen BBQ   Conway

Rivertowne BBQ   Ozark

If you want a good hamburger in Fayetteville, the Backyard Burgers on College Avenue is a good choice.  Backyard Burgers utilizes high quality angus beef for their hamburgers.

If you want good home style cooking, the Cracker Barrel in Alma or the Cracker Barrel in Springdale is a good option.

Agree with those last two paragraphs whokeheartedly.   If i may I would like to add that for a good cup of chili to try Wendy's and for a good waffle I'd  say waffle house is a good option.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #13468 on: October 08, 2014, 08:52:53 pm »

The dude's BBQ opinion is invalidated by his suggestion that the guy eat at Cracker Barrel and Backyard Burgers.  Good grief.

Clint Conque is cooking there now.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #13469 on: October 08, 2014, 08:58:34 pm »

The dude's BBQ opinion is invalidated by his suggestion that the guy eat at Cracker Barrel and Backyard Burgers.  Good grief.

It is widely known by many Arkansans that the BBQ in Northwest Arkansas is substandard BBQ.  The BBQ in NWA is imitation BBQ.

Jimmy

• Senior
« Reply #13470 on: October 08, 2014, 09:07:10 pm »

I'd park in the Dickson St. area, eat & water there.  Then walk up Dickson St and through the guts of campus (look for the old, tall,  red brick building with 2 matching towers and continue walking just to the left of that building) and you'll end up on the east side of the stadium, where the visitors' seats are.  It IS a walk, but a pretty walk.   Enjoy the miles of sidewalks on campus with the names of everyone who has ever gotten a degree at Arkansas. 

DLUXHOG

« Reply #13471 on: October 08, 2014, 09:10:24 pm »

It is widely known by many Arkansans that the BBQ in Northwest Arkansas is substandard BBQ.  The BBQ in NWA is imitation BBQ.

Well I  live in DFW, and it arguably has some of the best BBQ in the country, but I would definitely put Bubbas in Eureka right up there with the DFW establishments....

Imminent Rueage

« Reply #13472 on: October 08, 2014, 09:17:36 pm »

I'm a big fan of Bordino's but I also love going to Herman's. Old school with a lot of memoribilia on the walls I know, but hard to beat. Haven't been there in years but I hear it is still great!

Didi you see Frank Broyles there the last time? Was he eating catfish?

And did you take any catfish from his plate and eat it?

FANONTHEHILL

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #13473 on: October 08, 2014, 09:50:54 pm »

On the East end of Dickson Street is Central United Methodist Church.  You can park there for free.  There is the lot and a four level parking garage. (Levels 1-3 are covered) Go early, make your way up Dickson St.  Lots of food and drink choices. Repeat the process on the way back to your car.  You'll also get a nice look at the campus heading up to the stadium.  Have a safe trip.

fullfan

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #13474 on: October 08, 2014, 10:31:39 pm »

How busy would you expect Catfish hole around 2:30 Saturday (game day)?   Is there normally a line to get in?   Trying to time it to get in and out to the stadium.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #13475 on: October 08, 2014, 11:17:27 pm »

Moved to Bentonville.  They are good though.  Give Mr. Bs a try on the steak BTW.  I didn't mention it because there is no way a non local is going to find it without causing a wreck if they are going in the evening and it's dark.  You can't see it at night and they will be following their phone and slam on their brakes right in the middle of Walnut Ave in Rogers.  It's in an old house off of the road a bit.  It has a roadside sign that's easy to see in the day time, but it isn't well lit or brightly colored and the entrance is odd and small.  The steaks are completely worth the effort though.  It's very pricy and one of the few places in NWA I would put on par with any restaurant experience I've had in all of my travels and I've went to a lot of places.  Just got back from New Orleans which I would consider a foodies dream city.

I agree.  I'm glad you mentioned it.  I have spent the better part of my 45 years perfecting cooking a steak myself, so I rarely eat them when I go out to eat unless I'm traveling.  I got drug to Mr. B's once by some guys in town for business, and I couldn't believe how good it was.  It's where I take company when they come into town, and they're always impressed and want to go back next visit. 

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #13476 on: October 09, 2014, 04:26:36 pm »

Moved to Bentonville.  They are good though.  Give Mr. Bs a try on the steak BTW.  I didn't mention it because there is no way a non local is going to find it without causing a wreck if they are going in the evening and it's dark.  You can't see it at night and they will be following their phone and slam on their brakes right in the middle of Walnut Ave in Rogers.  It's in an old house off of the road a bit.  It has a roadside sign that's easy to see in the day time, but it isn't well lit or brightly colored and the entrance is odd and small.  The steaks are completely worth the effort though.  It's very pricy and one of the few places in NWA I would put on par with any restaurant experience I've had in all of my travels and I've went to a lot of places.  Just got back from New Orleans which I would consider a foodies dream city.

I actually agree in MR B's. I almost never eat steak when I go out because it rarely comes close to what I do at home.  Been a few years, but MR B's was really good last time I was there. 

I honestly still prefer my own, but will buy steak there anytime.  Reminds me of some of the Chi Town steak houses I like. Makes me wonder if they also incorporate a pan type boil in their prep.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

« Reply #13477 on: October 09, 2014, 09:32:51 pm »

I actually agree in MR B's. I almost never eat steak when I go out because it rarely comes close to what I do at home.  Been a few years, but MR B's was really good last time I was there. 

I honestly still prefer my own, but will buy steak there anytime.  Reminds me of some of the Chi Town steak houses I like. Makes me wonder if they also incorporate a pan type boil in their prep.

Sounds like you are grilling up a storm while the rest of us are eatin' bolognie sandwiches.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #13478 on: October 09, 2014, 09:39:10 pm »

Since you didn't mention the Swinging Door, I'm thinking you aren't that old.

Holy Cow! How did I forget that one! Thanks for the reminder!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:34:46 pm by Inhogswetrust »

RazorbackRon

• Win, Lose or Tie ........ I'm a Hog fan till I die
« Reply #13479 on: October 09, 2014, 09:40:37 pm »

Sounds like you are grilling up a storm while the rest of us are eatin' bolognie sandwiches.

I always spelled it 'baloney'.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

« Reply #13480 on: October 09, 2014, 09:49:08 pm »

I always spelled it 'baloney'.

How many times have you written the word in your life.  You make it sound like you have spent a life time printin' signs for convenience stores that sell bolognie sandwiches.

The fact that you "always spelled it baloney" don't mean much with some context, Ron.  Can you give us more insight, professor?

RazorbackRon

• Win, Lose or Tie ........ I'm a Hog fan till I die
« Reply #13481 on: October 09, 2014, 09:55:15 pm »

The fact that you "always spelled it baloney" don't mean much with some context, Ron.  Can you give us more insight, professor?

I like fried baloney sandwiches.

If you don't cut slits in your baloney when you fry it, your baloney will curl up.

Joshua Michael Irwin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #13482 on: October 09, 2014, 09:58:01 pm »

McDonald's on college  :)

Hogg_Phan

• Senior
  • Thank a Veteran every chance you get. WPS/GHG!!!
« Reply #13483 on: October 10, 2014, 10:39:37 am »

Places to visit

Crystal Bridges a world class art museum
Eureka Springs- a very unique town with great architecture that screams eclectic
Dickson Street
Mount Sequoyah- the view is great.
The Lodge on Whitney Mountain- the view is the best in the area
Fayetteville Square
Pinnacle
War Eagle Mill

I doubt Bama fans will visit anything with the name War Eagle in it.   ;)

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #13484 on: October 10, 2014, 11:07:24 am »

Nice.   ;D   Wish I'd thought of that....

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #13485 on: October 10, 2014, 11:19:55 am »

Ever been to Sassy's?

DLUXHOG

« Reply #13486 on: October 10, 2014, 11:44:50 am »

Ever been to Sassy's?

I have and think it is great!   (some will disagree... but I think they do a great job!)

Hayden1865

• Senior
  • @haydenulmer
« Reply #13487 on: October 10, 2014, 11:48:22 am »

Ever been to Sassy's?
Great food, great atmosphere, and i enjoy the scenery if you catch my drift. Love the BBQ nachos.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #13488 on: October 10, 2014, 11:50:29 am »

I have and think it is great!   (some will disagree... but I think they do a great job!)
Great food, great atmosphere, and i enjoy the scenery if you catch my drift. Love the BBQ nachos.

Sitting outside at Sassy's at night is really fun with the lights and the trees overhead. I've never been disappointed with a meal there. BBQ Nachos, Pulled Pork, BBQ Chicken, Ribs, etc. Great flavor to all of it.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13489 on: October 10, 2014, 11:56:01 am »

The thing with BBQ is there are WIDESPREAD disagreements over what is or isn't good BBQ. It is the most subjective food by taste.

Hogfly

• Senior
« Reply #13490 on: October 10, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »

The thing with BBQ is there are WIDESPREAD disagreements over what is or isn't good BBQ. It is the most subjective food by taste.

This is what I don't get. I've never really found any BBQ that I thought was BAD (outside of like fast food joints, Corkys, and a certain place who doesn't remove the membranes on their ribs). I certainly prefer some BBQs to others, but BBQ is kind of like sex. Any BBQ is better than no BBQ.

I frequent a Kansas City Chiefs board. And those guys are ridiculous when discussing BBQ. They try to act like there's no such thing as good BBQ from Texas or Carolina or any other region outside of KC tradition. It's silly. They talk as if Texas BBQ makes them throw up.

To me, there's plenty of room in my heart to like most of the different BBQ traditions and to appreciate most BBQ provided it's edible.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

« Reply #13491 on: October 10, 2014, 01:07:31 pm »

This is what I don't get. I've never really found any BBQ that I thought was BAD (outside of like fast food joints, Corkys, and a certain place who doesn't remove the membranes on their ribs). I certainly prefer some BBQs to others, but BBQ is kind of like sex. Any BBQ is better than no BBQ.

I frequent a Kansas City Chiefs board. And those guys are ridiculous when discussing BBQ. They try to act like there's no such thing as good BBQ from Texas or Carolina or any other region outside of KC tradition. It's silly. They talk as if Texas BBQ makes them throw up.

To me, there's plenty of room in my heart to like most of the different BBQ traditions and to appreciate most BBQ provided it's edible.

Never heard such hogwarsh in my life.  You must not have a very sensitive pallet is all I got to say about that.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13492 on: October 10, 2014, 01:28:48 pm »

I couldn't agree more.  One of my favorite BBQ places is in Austin TX (I can't believe I wrote that but it's true) and specializes in beef BBQ. I read an article in a Food magazine once about BBQ and it's differences. Having been in the restaurant business in the past I believe it was spot on in it's evaluation. It said there were 5 different BASIC styles or types of BBQ based around certain regions and then numerous variations or subcategories of those. There is ONE overall criteria for all and that is slow cooking on indirect heat. One difference was what type of meat. Another was what type of heat source (though it must be indirect). Another was wet or dry and what spices. The biggest difference by far was style and/or flavor of sauce.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:32:05 pm by Inhogswetrust »

Overtheroadtruckdriver

« Reply #13493 on: October 10, 2014, 04:19:08 pm »

I couldn't agree more.  One of my favorite BBQ places is in Austin TX (I can't believe I wrote that but it's true) and specializes in beef BBQ. I read an article in a Food magazine once about BBQ and it's differences. Having been in the restaurant business in the past I believe it was spot on in it's evaluation. It said there were 5 different BASIC styles or types of BBQ based around certain regions and then numerous variations or subcategories of those. There is ONE overall criteria for all and that is slow cooking on indirect heat. One difference was what type of meat. Another was what type of heat source (though it must be indirect). Another was wet or dry and what spices. The biggest difference by far was style and/or flavor of sauce.

For your sake I hope you know more about football than barbecue.

Hogsmoke

• Varsity
« Reply #13494 on: October 10, 2014, 04:35:23 pm »

What is the name of the place on sixth street that has the good tacos?

Polecat

• Hogvillian
  • WPS!
« Reply #13495 on: October 10, 2014, 04:36:25 pm »

Hugos is a Fayetteville tradition for sure

Hogfly

• Senior
« Reply #13496 on: October 10, 2014, 04:37:15 pm »

What is the name of the place on sixth street that has the good tacos?

You talking about Columbiamex which is now known as Burrito Loco?

I'm really into Mangos lately, which is purely a drive through. Their tortas are off the hook.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13497 on: October 10, 2014, 04:38:44 pm »

What about a crap fair?

Hogsmoke

• Varsity
« Reply #13498 on: October 10, 2014, 04:39:25 pm »

Hog fly, does not sound quite right (as old as I am it could be my memory), was in a store.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #13499 on: October 10, 2014, 04:40:20 pm »

Never heard such hogwarsh in my life.  You must not have a very sensitive pallet is all I got to say about that.
My pallet is refined and has hardly any busted spars poking off it.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 [270] 271 272 273 ... 372   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas