• 395,488 Topics
• 22,304 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 ... 382   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 834166 times)

ChromDome35

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
Re: Some of the best burger joints you have ever eaten at in your life?
« Reply #13200 on: June 20, 2014, 08:53:19 am »

The Ozone Burger Barn has one of the best I've had in a long time.

The Marmot

• Gold Hogvillian
  • He's still pissed off.
« Reply #13201 on: June 20, 2014, 09:26:18 am »

Mar, where is Burgers Plus in NWA? I'm not familiar with it.

Its Wes' BBQ, in the little shopping center at the corner of University Ave and Center St, south of Powerhouse.

Geraldis is there too, great little Italian place.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

holman24

« Reply #13202 on: June 20, 2014, 10:08:36 am »

smoking joes BBQ burger is the best burger in nwa

Rev. Jerry Falwell

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Keeper O' the Kollection Plate
« Reply #13203 on: June 20, 2014, 10:12:14 am »

Rev, I know you and I have talked about growing up around Monticello back in the horse and buggy days, when all the roads were still dirt roads, lol.  But yeah, Rays used to be top notch with any place I've ate at in my travels, and I do a lot of traveling now.  I didn't mention in my first post, but yes, Rays is still open and still a good place to eat, but just not like it was years ago, I blame that on the Restaurant changing hands.  I still usually stop in there for a Jumbo barbecue chopped pork Sammich, but somehow, everything these days has gotten smaller.

The damn candy bars have gotten smaller but cost more, the malts and Shakes you get now that supposed to be large come out in what used to at the very least a medium cup, but cost more.  Go to Sonic, you'll pay more for one of their Sonic Blast than what a gallon of ice cream will cost you.

I gotta try that chopped 'que sammich.....don't remember ever havin' that there...

Rev

trippigs

« Reply #13204 on: June 20, 2014, 10:18:38 am »

Arthurs BBQ in Pine Bluff. Meat was pattied out and fried in a big cast iron skillet right in front of you. Always served hot and slightly greasy. Used to order a triple.....cheeseburger, BBQ and a chili dog. They had very cold beer until the owner was reborn. And they even had real car hop service which I used to enjoy in my hippie van. Clarice was the best. Unfortunately they are now closed after a two generation run. Man, I miss that place.

Rev. Jerry Falwell

« Reply #13205 on: June 20, 2014, 10:44:10 am »

Arthurs BBQ in Pine Bluff. Meat was pattied out and fried in a big cast iron skillet right in front of you. Always served hot and slightly greasy. Used to order a triple.....cheeseburger, BBQ and a chili dog. They had very cold beer until the owner was reborn. And they even had real car hop service which I used to enjoy in my hippie van. Clarice was the best. Unfortunately they are now closed after a two generation run. Man, I miss that place.

Damn tripper'.....that made me hungry as hell and want to fire up a doobie all at the same time......well done...

Rev

HawgWild

• Left lane, hammer down.
« Reply #13206 on: June 20, 2014, 10:49:22 am »

Pastime Pool Hall (RIP) in Blytheville. Chili Cheeseburger with plenty of napkins and then some more.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #13207 on: June 20, 2014, 11:07:01 am »

I gotta try that chopped 'que sammich.....don't remember ever havin' that there...

Rev

Rev, all the time you spent down there and you never tried their chopped que?  Damn, I'd get that in a jumbo, but for some reason their buns have shrunk, used to rival those hubcaps up at Scott.  Then I'd get me a large order of fries, and a large coke.  To top it off for dessert, and I know they's ain't the taste for everybody, but I'd have me a large butterscotch malt.  I'd walk out of their 10 pounds heavier than when I walked in, at least for awhile.

trippigs

« Reply #13208 on: June 20, 2014, 11:11:14 am »

Damn tripper'.....that made me hungry as hell and want to fire up a doobie all at the same time......well done...

Rev

Well, the ultimate combo was glorious but it wasnt on the menu

Rev. Jerry Falwell

« Reply #13209 on: June 20, 2014, 11:23:26 am »

Rev, all the time you spent down there and you never tried their chopped que?  Damn, I'd get that in a jumbo, but for some reason their buns have shrunk, used to rival those hubcaps up at Scott.  Then I'd get me a large order of fries, and a large coke.  To top it off for dessert, and I know they's ain't the taste for everybody, but I'd have me a large butterscotch malt.  I'd walk out of their 10 pounds heavier than when I walked in, at least for awhile.

Mainly ate breakfast there, an a few cheeseburgers.....peeyasses me off that I didn't try the 'que.....and actually had some quail there once that was pretty good...

Rev

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #13210 on: June 20, 2014, 11:23:57 am »

There's a place in Arlington, TN (about 5 miles from my house) called Vinegar Jim's that I would describe as a family owned Southern cooking mecca.  I've never had a burger there so this is a bit off topic, but I'm sure it's as good as everything else is.  And, not only is the food great, but you won't leave hungry because they load up the portions.  They have fried pies too, which should be a plus in everybody's book.

Jackrabbit you live pretty close to me.  My favorite places to eat in Arlington are Jackson's On The Square and Brendalay Grill. We also like to eat the catfish buffet at Braden Station in Mason.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:35:28 am by Inhogswetrust »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #13211 on: June 20, 2014, 11:27:18 am »

I liked the old Brenda's Bigger Burger in Fayetteville.  I miss it.

McKdaddy

« Reply #13212 on: June 20, 2014, 01:32:47 pm »

Rev, I know you and I have talked about growing up around Monticello back in the horse and buggy days, when all the roads were still dirt roads, lol.  But yeah, Rays used to be top notch with any place I've ate at in my travels, and I do a lot of traveling now.  I didn't mention in my first post, but yes, Rays is still open and still a good place to eat, but just not like it was years ago, I blame that on the Restaurant changing hands.  I still usually stop in there for a Jumbo barbecue chopped pork Sammich, but somehow, everything these days has gotten smaller.

The damn candy bars have gotten smaller but cost more, the malts and Shakes you get now that supposed to be large come out in what used to at the very least a medium cup, but cost more.  Go to Sonic, you'll pay more for one of their Sonic Blast than what a gallon of ice cream will cost you.

The son, whom I graduated high school with (and consider a good friend, so I'm biased), runs it now.  His grandpa ran it from the beginning, my friend's dad took over the daily operations in the mid-to-late 70's, and daily ops were turned over to the son in the mid-2000's (or thereabout).  Glad that it has maintained as a family operation over 3 generations and 50 years.

I've only been eating at Ray's since 1980, so I can't speak to its earlier years (open since '64, I believe), but its been a relatively consistent performer in a town where local restaurants don't make it long-term.

Rev. Jerry Falwell

« Reply #13213 on: June 20, 2014, 01:57:03 pm »

The son, whom I graduated high school with (and consider a good friend, so I'm biased), runs it now.  His grandpa ran it from the beginning, my friend's dad took over the daily operations in the mid-to-late 70's, and daily ops were turned over to the son in the mid-2000's (or thereabout).  Glad that it has maintained as a family operation over 3 generations and 50 years.

I've only been eating at Ray's since 1980, so I can't speak to its earlier years (open since '64, I believe), but its been a relatively consistent performer in a town where local restaurants don't make it long-term.

Thanks, McD'....good info....gonna damn sure have to make it a destination....still own a little property down that way that I have to check on from time to time.....my stomach's tellin' me it's about time to check again....

Rev

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #13214 on: June 20, 2014, 02:05:32 pm »

There used to be a burger joint in Althiemer or Wabbaseka, or somewhere out there, back in the 60's - before my time.  My mother went fishing with my dad and my brothers one time and they all stopped to eat.  She said it was like an oven in there and this big ol' gal was working the grill, sweat was pouring off of her.  She'd wipe her face and under her arms with her hands and then reach into the hamburger meat and make patties...no washing up.  Mom said it made her sick just to watch - but dad told me that they were some fantastic burgers lol.

Rev. Jerry Falwell

« Reply #13215 on: June 20, 2014, 02:56:51 pm »

There used to be a burger joint in Althiemer or Wabbaseka, or somewhere out there, back in the 60's - before my time.  My mother went fishing with my dad and my brothers one time and they all stopped to eat.  She said it was like an oven in there and this big ol' gal was working the grill, sweat was pouring off of her.  She'd wipe her face and under her arms with her hands and then reach into the hamburger meat and make patties...no washing up.  Mom said it made her sick just to watch - but dad told me that they were some fantastic burgers lol.

That's usually the best kinda place, 'Z'.....

Rev

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #13216 on: June 20, 2014, 04:41:38 pm »

That's usually the best kinda place, 'Z'.....

Rev

Ain't they?  When I was growing up, there was an old place right off the main highway in McGehee called Lawson's.  It was pretty nasty...well, it was really nasty.  But dammit man, it was some good eatin'.

However......I've done dozens of restaurant jobs in my day, and I'll say this - Do NOT go into the kitchen.  You may not wanna eat there again.  Fwiw, one Chinese place I did was so nasty it still freaks me out 15 years later.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #13217 on: June 20, 2014, 05:38:19 pm »

In the 70's, Mr. Burger in Fayettenam was hard to beat.    Pappas (pronounced "pap-ass") Burger on Westheimer in Houston is unbeatable......

1highhog

« Reply #13218 on: June 20, 2014, 05:41:14 pm »

Ain't they?  When I was growing up, there was an old place right off the main highway in McGehee called Lawson's.  It was pretty nasty...well, it was really nasty.  But dammit man, it was some good eatin'.

However......I've done dozens of restaurant jobs in my day, and I'll say this - Do NOT go into the kitchen.  You may not wanna eat there again.  Fwiw, one Chinese place I did was so nasty it still freaks me out 15 years later.

I've done that it my line of work to LZR.  I actually love a GOOD Chinese place, that means one that I know well enough to know what the kitchen is like.  I happen to know an Inspector, some of the best joints as far as fashionable places in Little Rock and some other big towns in Arkansas would make your stomach, ehhh, bowels run fer the hills.  But I know that's in every State, not just Arkansas.

1highhog

« Reply #13219 on: June 20, 2014, 06:00:39 pm »

McKDaddy, how long have you been in the Monticello area?  All of my family still lives there, I'm the only Northerner, living here in Prattsville. 

It was the mid 70's to early 80's that I frequented Rays, which was to me, their heyday.  Even when I was a young whipper snapper and my big brothers were forced to carry me to town at times before the first Sonic was put in, Rays was the happnin place for teenagers to be seen, and College kids as well.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #13220 on: June 20, 2014, 06:38:19 pm »

I've done that it my line of work to LZR.  I actually love a GOOD Chinese place, that means one that I know well enough to know what the kitchen is like.  I happen to know an Inspector, some of the best joints as far as fashionable places in Little Rock and some other big towns in Arkansas would make your stomach, ehhh, bowels run fer the hills.  But I know that's in every State, not just Arkansas.

Yeah, you know what I mean.  They were remodeling and increasing their kitchen capacity, so I replaced the fans and the ductwork on the makeup air and the hood.  The guy I had running the job said the crap that was sticking to the inside of that exhaust duct made him gag.....so I KNOW it would have made me gag.  Ugh.

Blood and guts and all that doesn't really bother me, but I have a weak stomach when it comes to a nasty commercial kitchen - or any kitchen for that matter.

Hogfly

« Reply #13221 on: June 20, 2014, 06:51:04 pm »

Couple of Monticello boys? My family hails from Possum Valley. I haven't been down that way in a loooong time, though.

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #13222 on: June 20, 2014, 07:17:28 pm »

Topps BBQ in Memphis.....their BBQ is below average, but the cheeseburger is outstanding.
Five Guys
Whataburger in Russellville
Herbs in Ashdown

1highhog

« Reply #13223 on: June 20, 2014, 07:24:17 pm »

Couple of Monticello boys? My family hails from Possum Valley. I haven't been down that way in a loooong time, though.

Know that area well Hogfly.  Do you not have any close family in the Possum area anymore?  ;D

McKdaddy

« Reply #13224 on: June 20, 2014, 07:36:53 pm »

McKDaddy, how long have you been in the Monticello area?  All of my family still lives there, I'm the only Northerner, living here in Prattsville. 

It was the mid 70's to early 80's that I frequented Rays, which was to me, their heyday.  Even when I was a young whipper snapper and my big brothers were forced to carry me to town at times before the first Sonic was put in, Rays was the happnin place for teenagers to be seen, and College kids as well.

My dad was born and raised in Monticello, spending all but 7 years of his life in Monticello...he and Mom are still there.  That 7-year period was when he and Mom lived in Ft Smith, where I was born (in 1973).  We moved to Monticello ("back to Monticello" for Dad) when he had an opportunity to buy a drug store in town (in 1980).  I lived in Monticello from 1980 till 1994, graduating MHS in '92, and went to UAM for a couple of years before completing my degree at UALR.  I remained in LR till 2002, then moved to Tulsa, where I still reside, to open an office for Ameriprise

1highhog

« Reply #13225 on: June 20, 2014, 08:32:43 pm »

My dad was born and raised in Monticello, spending all but 7 years of his life in Monticello...he and Mom are still there.  That 7-year period was when he and Mom lived in Ft Smith, where I was born (in 1973).  We moved to Monticello ("back to Monticello" for Dad) when he had an opportunity to buy a drug store in town (in 1980).  I lived in Monticello from 1980 till 1994, graduating MHS in '92, and went to UAM for a couple of years before completing my degree at UALR.  I remained in LR till 2002, then moved to Tulsa, where I still reside, to open an office for Ameriprise

Well, you were there while I was still there, but you're a young fella.  I graduated in 82, you might have run into one of my brothers around town, they were older than I was, but the one just a couple of years older than I worked at Goodyear all those years and partied hard, making the rounds with just about every female in town, married or not, so he could be described as a rascal.

Hogfly

« Reply #13226 on: June 21, 2014, 09:41:48 am »

Know that area well Hogfly.  Do you not have any close family in the Possum area anymore?  ;D

I don't. We sold off the majority of our property down there once most of the family started hunting up in this neck of the woods instead of "the Valley" (as we called it).

Rev. Jerry Falwell

« Reply #13227 on: June 21, 2014, 09:47:31 am »

I don't. We sold off the majority of our property down there once most of the family started hunting up in this neck of the woods instead of "the Valley" (as we called it).

I had an uncle that grew up in that area, but left it waaaaaaay back....

Rev

Rev. Jerry Falwell

« Reply #13228 on: June 21, 2014, 10:41:09 am »

ate there yesterday. damn fine burger. crowded as hell though.

That's my only complaint about the place....the two times I've been there, the damn line stretched out the door...

REv

Hogfly

« Reply #13229 on: June 21, 2014, 10:55:09 am »

I still love Feltner's, but I think that CJs there might just edge it out.

Hogfly

« Reply #13230 on: June 21, 2014, 11:01:24 am »

not a chance in hades. i've eaten at both and my experiences at cjs have always been awful. no offense.

Weird. I've always had great experiences at both.

Rev. Jerry Falwell

« Reply #13231 on: June 21, 2014, 11:13:54 am »

i always call 'em about 15 minutes ahead of time. that helps. but then again, the phone stays awful busy so you have to call for about 15 minutes to get through before you can order and wait 15 minutes. got it?

I knew I had been doin' somethin' wrong.....I'm gonna start callin' 'em 30 minutes ahead of time so I can wait 30 minutes to order and then 30 more minutes to pick up my order, provided the line at the door is only 30 minutes long.....I should have thought of this 30 years ago.....

Rev

BPsTheMan

« Reply #13232 on: June 21, 2014, 11:28:58 am »

I knew I had been doin' somethin' wrong.....I'm gonna start callin' 'em 30 minutes ahead of time so I can wait 30 minutes to order and then 30 more minutes to pick up my order, provided the line at the door is only 30 minutes long.....I should have thought of this 30 years ago.....

Rev

hogginbama

« Reply #13233 on: June 21, 2014, 02:53:18 pm »

Fred's Bar and Grill - Burlington, WI. Walk in, sit down, fill out your own order slip, turn it in at the window and wait for the goodness.

Capt. Hamm

« Reply #13234 on: June 21, 2014, 07:39:27 pm »

Capt. Hamm's in Dardanelle! We have a burger named the "Capt. Burger" that is 1/4 pound angus with cheese and topped with our pulled pork and homemade BBQ sauce...Awesome! (Shameless plug, but true).

Ball Hawk

« Reply #13235 on: June 22, 2014, 10:43:34 pm »

Yo Mama's in New Orleans, LA.

Hands down the best burger I've ever had anywhere in the world. If you go, get the Western burger

davidharwood

« Reply #13236 on: June 25, 2014, 02:30:52 pm »

White Way Cafe in Huntsville (RIP)

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #13237 on: June 25, 2014, 02:57:02 pm »

Hugo's burgers are pretty darn good........

GlassofSwine

« Reply #13238 on: June 25, 2014, 09:09:45 pm »

Around North Dallas Ye ole Butcher Shop and Olive Burger are the best I have had, for something a little more fancy Kenny's is great.

waphill

« Reply #13239 on: June 25, 2014, 09:25:15 pm »

Burgers Plus - NWA

White Grill - Nevada, MO

Whoa! Nevada???

I drive through there all the time. Will definitely check that out.

Sweet Feet

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #13240 on: June 25, 2014, 10:06:41 pm »

Only one in arkansas minus the ones on the texarkana border. Texas burger chain like DQ

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

• Bonjourrrrr, yah cheese-eatin' surrender monkeys
« Reply #13241 on: June 26, 2014, 07:00:24 am »

I didn't get to 3 bills by not enjoying a burger or two.  In no particular order:

E&B's in Batesville
CJ's and Whataburger in Russellville
Meers Store and Restaurant in Lawton, Oklahoma
Flying Burger in Magnolia

Can't remember the name of the restaurant, but had a burger at the hotel I stayed at in San Antonio that had a roasted poblano pepper, a fancy cheese, and some sort of flavored mayo.  Was good enough that I remember everything about it, except the name of the restaurant, the type of cheese, and the flavor of the mayo. 

El Puerco Grande

• Senior
  • Mess with the hog, and you get the tusks!
« Reply #13242 on: June 26, 2014, 11:30:19 am »

Without a doubt, Watson's Grocery in Mount Holly, AR.

Wildhog

« Reply #13243 on: June 26, 2014, 11:35:14 am »

Wow.  Droppin' a Mount Holly in this biotch

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
« Reply #13244 on: June 26, 2014, 11:56:06 am »

I went to college with a couple of the Watson boys from Mount Holly.  Wonder if it's in their family?

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #13245 on: June 26, 2014, 12:18:55 pm »

Rev

Carroll Jean used to cook a pretty good burger down in Johnsville.  I always loved his BBQ, too.  You ever make it over that way in you Monticello days, Rev?

Rev. Jerry Falwell

« Reply #13246 on: June 26, 2014, 01:34:54 pm »

Carroll Jean used to cook a pretty good burger down in Johnsville.  I always loved his BBQ, too.  You ever make it over that way in you Monticello days, Rev?

Johnsville?  Damn Pharm', I don't know what you're talkin' 'bout....but give me directions, and I'll be there...or thar...as it should be colloquial stated....

Rev

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #13247 on: June 26, 2014, 01:47:07 pm »

Between Fountain hill and warren is best way I can tell ya.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #13248 on: June 26, 2014, 02:03:47 pm »

Three or four Mountainburgers from the Dairy Dream...

Rev. Jerry Falwell

« Reply #13249 on: June 26, 2014, 02:51:28 pm »

Between Fountain hill and warren is best way I can tell ya.

Gottcha....

Rev
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 ... 382   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas