• 395,483 Topics
• 22,304 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 ... 382   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 834095 times)

zane

Re: Road Trips
« Reply #10250 on: October 21, 2012, 08:26:25 pm »

I know this isn't the place for this topic, but I could not find another forum for this to fit in.  Anyhow ... I am going to be in Fayetteville for the first time in 25 years and going to take my family to see the LSU game.  I haven't been to see a game since 1987 and my wife and son have never been to a game on the Hill.  I would like to take them to a good place to eat while we are there.  My wife loves BBQ but that doesn't have to be the choice.  She can't wait to get some Demo's BBQ while we are in Jonesboro for the holidays.  Here in South Carolina, they can NOT make any good BBQ.  Anyhow, I thought I would get the opinion of some fellow footballers who frequent the area.

Thanks

Sounds like your wife has good taste. Demos BBQ is always one of my first stops when I come home from Cali. Try the BBQ nachos or BBQ fries!

Can't help you with NWA

ADHog

« Reply #10251 on: October 21, 2012, 08:30:23 pm »

Hibachi ShoGuns (Sams Rolls)

Shogun. It's one Shogun, not two. (It's not plural)

My vote is Bordino's in Fayetteville and Table Mesa in Bentonville.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Boarcephus

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #10252 on: October 21, 2012, 08:30:27 pm »

or Doe's (on Dickson..

Kind of surprised to hear this out of you.  If you want a huge hunk of bland meat, then Doe's is your place.  IMO, not a whole lot of difference between Doe's and Golden Corral as far as flavor goes.

If I want Mexican or Italian I go out but if I want a great steak I throw it on the egg and cook it myself.  BTW, Fresh Market had their porterhouses on sales this week for $7.99 a pound and that's what we had for lunch. 

George S. Pigton

• Senior
  • www.talkbusiness.net
    • Talk Business & Politics
« Reply #10253 on: October 21, 2012, 08:33:04 pm »

If you are in Fayetteville on Dickson St. try Bordino's or Theos, both have good to great food and a great night before the big game atmosphere.
James at the Mill is great food and Vetro 1925 off the Square in Fayetteville is great Italian (pricey) food.  The Chancellor Hotel off the square in Fayetteville has a new rest. (Union is the name I think) in it which I'm hearing good things about.

Of course Doe's and Herman's are good but for great BBQ in this area you have to hit up the Whole Hog Cafe.  Best Ribs and Pulled Pork in this area by far. 

Someone earlier mentioned Table Mesa and Tavola, both are great choices. 

rickm1976

« Reply #10254 on: October 21, 2012, 08:35:40 pm »

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2012/oct/12/best-all-around-restaurant/?nwa-best

MarketPlace Grill - Springdale
Bonefish - Rogers
Bordinos - Fayetteville

+1 on Bonefish Grill.  Best seafood I've had anywhere.

NWASooner

« Reply #10255 on: October 21, 2012, 08:36:18 pm »

Best steak is Mr B's on eighth st in Rogers. A little pricey but worth it

Mr. B's is the right answer.  Herman's is overrated.

NWASooner

« Reply #10256 on: October 21, 2012, 08:39:15 pm »

Not true. Ever eaten at Fred's Hickory Inn? It's the place frequented by all the Bentonville old-timers. Wonderful food and atmosphere. If you're on the Bentonville square, the Station Cafe is a great place for  a down home hamburger and fries. Tusk and Trotter has fresh, local ingredients and a great menu.

Fred's sucks.

Penguin Ed's isn't bad.  Whole Hog doesn't suck.

The restaurant scene in NWA really isn't very good.  Bordino's is OK.  Theo's is alright.  The three places on the Bentonville square are solid.  That's about it.

Boarcephus

• Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #10257 on: October 21, 2012, 08:40:52 pm »

Bonefish is good.  Fish City Grill is good as well.  Their Oyster Nacho's are great.

Dark Helmet Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #10258 on: October 21, 2012, 08:41:28 pm »

Shogun. It's one Shogun, not two. (It's not plural)

I have been forced to iron my hand in penance.

BrooklynRoss

« Reply #10259 on: October 21, 2012, 08:45:28 pm »

I'm a big fan of James At the Mill.

Pig In The City

« Reply #10260 on: October 21, 2012, 08:48:47 pm »

Is the Venetian Inn still open in Tontitown?

b501

« Reply #10261 on: October 21, 2012, 08:49:09 pm »

slim chickens

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #10262 on: October 21, 2012, 08:50:32 pm »

The BBQ sucks in NWA - wouldn't waste time with it.

Uh... debate this... Penquin Ed's is pretty good..........

Jimmy

« Reply #10263 on: October 21, 2012, 08:52:04 pm »

Herman's & Doe's. 

kibster

« Reply #10264 on: October 21, 2012, 08:55:28 pm »

If you are in Fayetteville on Dickson St. try Bordino's or Theos, both have good to great food and a great night before the big game atmosphere.
James at the Mill is great food and Vetro 1925 off the Square in Fayetteville is great Italian (pricey) food.  The Chancellor Hotel off the square in Fayetteville has a new rest. (Union is the name I think) in it which I'm hearing good things about.

Of course Doe's and Herman's are good but for great BBQ in this area you have to hit up the Whole Hog Cafe.  Best Ribs and Pulled Pork in this area by far. 

Someone earlier mentioned Table Mesa and Tavola, both are great choices. 

James at the Mill takes the prize for the best appetizer I have ever had in my life.  Great place to go for a nice dinner.

BleedsRazorbackRed

« Reply #10265 on: October 21, 2012, 08:55:55 pm »

I presume you will be travelling on I-40 West.  If you are looking for good BBQ, the following BBQ restaurant in Conway and the following BBQ restaurant in Ozark are good places for BBQ.

http://hogpenbbq.com/

http://rivertownebbq.com/   

Nope gonna take the northern route from Jonesboro.  It's much prettier!

BleedsRazorbackRed

« Reply #10266 on: October 21, 2012, 08:58:49 pm »

Yea we do Bonefish quite a bit out here.  Can't beat the Bang Bang Shrimp and Salmon Samwich!

Shag66

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hey! Careful man! There's beverage here!
« Reply #10267 on: October 21, 2012, 09:00:00 pm »

Good...  but old school...

They need to update...  the restaurant and the menu...

BleedsRazorbackRed

« Reply #10268 on: October 21, 2012, 09:01:57 pm »

I disagree on South Carolina barbecue. Sticky Fingers is good stuff.
Never had mustard based BBQ before I moved out here.  Not my thing.  Sticky fingers is not bad for a chain resturant.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #10269 on: October 21, 2012, 09:05:23 pm »

Yea we do Bonefish quite a bit out here.  Can't beat the Bang Bang Shrimp and Salmon Samwich!

Bonefish is really good food, but it's a national chain. I went with Powerhouse to keep it local, and I really like Kilowatts.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In honor of the Hog bats.BIG KNOCK, baby BIG KNOCK
« Reply #10270 on: October 21, 2012, 09:07:29 pm »

has the Venetian Inn gone down hill....its been a while since I've been to Fayetteville but the combination of a steak that was so large it hung over the edges of the plate and pasta used to be terrific

je100

« Reply #10271 on: October 21, 2012, 09:18:29 pm »

First post ever....not near the NW Arkansas area, but it might be a town that you want to drive thru.  Jones BBQ Diner might be something worth visiting if you can create a route thru Marianna.  Here is a little more info......

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57429886/tiny-bar-b-q-restaurant-wins-big-food-award/

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/75/786507/restaurant/Arkansas/Jones-Bar-B-Q-Diner-Marianna

NWASooner

« Reply #10272 on: October 21, 2012, 09:21:24 pm »

I love Northwest Arkansas and will likely retire there someday but when the restaurant scene sucks.

When someone asks about good restaurants and you respond with national chains, that's a bad sign.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #10273 on: October 21, 2012, 09:48:09 pm »

I must have driven by the Bonefish Grill off Atlantic Avenue a hundred times and never knew what I was missing, going to check it out this upcoming weekend!

Fatty McGee

« Reply #10274 on: October 21, 2012, 09:55:03 pm »

Best steak is Mr B's on eighth st in Rogers. A little pricey but worth it

yes.

jdevers

« Reply #10275 on: October 21, 2012, 10:02:44 pm »

I love Northwest Arkansas and will likely retire there someday but when the restaurant scene sucks.

When someone asks about good restaurants and you respond with national chains, that's a bad sign.

While this is somewhat reflective of NWA,  it is just a microcosm of the whole country.  When there is a bustling Red Lobster on the Maine coast something is wrong with this country.  Also,  he asked the question on a football forum, consider your audience before asking your audience as it may have some bearing on your audience.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #10276 on: October 21, 2012, 10:04:52 pm »

Uh... debate this... Penquin Ed's is pretty good..........

I have eaten at the Penguin Ed's that is out by the intersection of Crossover Road and the Highway that goes out to Goshen, and I felt that the BBQ was okay, but not that great. 

I know the Penguin Ed's on the hill side that goes up to College Avenue has been there a long time, but if the BBQ is the same at that location as it is at the other location where I ate, then I just don't see why Penguin Ed's is considered that great.   

rlreev01

« Reply #10277 on: October 21, 2012, 10:08:36 pm »

If this is this is your first time in years to come to NWA, then you do not want to go all over the country to Rogers or Bentonville. Stay in Fayetteville,  Hermans is good for atmosphere, fun and steaks.  It's on College. Doe's is also real good for steaks and atmosphere.  Its in Dickson Both are pricey if you have a large family with you.

Damm Good Pies for Pizza is Downtown or US Pizza on Dickson are both good.

Hugo's is still open near downtown (Near Maxines) and is is a real neat place to go.

There are several other places on Dickson and Downtown such as Powerhouse for Seafood.  Get there early and drive around and you will find your place.  Don't drive all the way to Rogers or Bentonville.  No need to.

Boarme

« Reply #10278 on: October 21, 2012, 10:22:18 pm »

It has been a while but I use to frequent this restaurant quite a bit.  I really liked it.  Herman's is always good. Do they still only take cash at Herman's?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:34:16 pm by Boarme »

counsellorhog

« Reply #10279 on: October 21, 2012, 10:28:09 pm »

whole hog barbecue  A+

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #10280 on: October 21, 2012, 11:00:12 pm »

If this is this is your first time in years to come to NWA, then you do not want to go all over the country to Rogers or Bentonville. Stay in Fayetteville,  Hermans is good for atmosphere, fun and steaks.  It's on College. Doe's is also real good for steaks and atmosphere.  Its in Dickson Both are pricey if you have a large family with you.

Damm Good Pies for Pizza is Downtown or US Pizza on Dickson are both good.

Hugo's is still open near downtown (Near Maxines) and is is a real neat place to go.

There are several other places on Dickson and Downtown such as Powerhouse for Seafood.  Get there early and drive around and you will find your place.  Don't drive all the way to Rogers or Bentonville.  No need to.

I agree with this.  The only place north of FV where I know you wouldn't be disappointed would be Mr. B's in Rogers for steak.  We go regularly, and have sent several people there and never heard a bad word about it.  That being said, I'm sure someone is about to say one or two here on HV.  I'm still like one of the other posters in that I'd rather grill my own steak, and spend money eating out on other things. 

There are more local places with atmosphere and good food in FV.  Sadly, for BBQ there's really nothing that's going to be likely to impress you.  That being said, if you've had really bad BBQ recently, then odds are you'll enjoy Whole Hog.  I'd stick to the pulled pork there for your best bet.     

Hog918

• Bench Warmer
  • Bielema, yeah!
« Reply #10281 on: October 21, 2012, 11:28:30 pm »

Nope gonna take the northern route from Jonesboro.  It's much prettier!

Well, if you take the southern route home, Rivertowne BBQ in Ozark is excellent.  The best pulled pork I've had, and the rest is pretty #% good.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #10282 on: October 21, 2012, 11:31:47 pm »

Very few people did so.  What is that you're looking for and not finding? 

sir-pigs-a-lot

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #10283 on: October 21, 2012, 11:47:15 pm »

Ok, the guy is traveling. He won't be grilling his own steaks. He doesn't live here. Try Herman's , Feltner brothers, damgoode pies, and mama dean's soul food . None will disappoint.

SoonerInSpringdale

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #10284 on: October 21, 2012, 11:48:04 pm »

Catfish Hole would be the place I'd recommend.

FortyMinutes

• Band Nerd
« Reply #10285 on: October 21, 2012, 11:52:14 pm »

Thai Kitchen in Bentonville
Taqueria Vega in Rogers
Burrito Loco in Fayetteville
Gold Town Sushi & Korean BBQ in Bentonville

Razorrected

« Reply #10286 on: October 22, 2012, 02:19:49 am »

Here's the REAL skinny.

Herman's blows.  Decent steak but ridiculously overpriced.  There's about eight tables in the entire place & unless you want a $45 steak served on a soggy slice of toast with a cup of Waffle House salad, I'd steer clear. 

There aren't any bbq places within hundreds of miles of Fayetteville.  Penguin Ed's was pretty good back in the day (when they used to be a bbq place) but now everything is "smoked" in upright ovens.  The other places in town are not even worth mentioning.

Italian - Bordino's for lamb or steak.  Ghazi's Pesto Cafe (Fayetteville landmark) for everything else and honorable mention to Geraldi's for great Italian food on the cheap.

Mexican - Celi's (on the Square) for Mexican.  Abuelo's (chain) in Rogers is good too.

Pizza - Tim's (any location) or Gusano's.

Ambiance - Hugo's (Fayetteville landmark).  Good American food but be prepared to wait for a table and expect sketchy service.  Don't miss the fries.

Chicken - AQ (any location, original in Springdale)

Grilled cheese - Hammontree's off Dickson Street.  Worth trying.

Burgers - Grub's.  However, if you want one of the best burgers (on the cheap) in the city head over to Wes' bbq on University Avenue.  Hard to find.  Looks like you need a tetanus shot to go inside but you WILL NOT beat the price or taste.

Seafood - Mermaid's or Powerhouse (both places have abbreviated seafood menus so don't expect lobster Thermidor)

If you find yourself driving to Eureka Springs, (and you should) there are several good places but I recommend Devito's or Rogues Manor.

A.Ziffle

• Senior
  • Green Acres Is The Place For Me...
« Reply #10287 on: October 22, 2012, 05:36:29 am »

First post ever....not near the NW Arkansas area, but it might be a town that you want to drive thru.  Jones BBQ Diner might be something worth visiting if you can create a route thru Marianna.  Here is a little more info......

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57429886/tiny-bar-b-q-restaurant-wins-big-food-award/

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/75/786507/restaurant/Arkansas/Jones-Bar-B-Q-Diner-Marianna

Best BBQ I've ever had

ark525

« Reply #10288 on: October 22, 2012, 06:23:19 am »

This is my exhaustive list.  In my 7 years in Fayetteville I liked most everything I tried.

Italian: Pesto Cafe for the "real" stuff, Geraldi's for amazing sandwiches, Venetian Inn for "redneck italian" (which isn't as bad as it sounds)

Pizza: Dam Good Pies (best by far), Tiny Tim's (pretty good), US Pizza (least expensive, no frills, not bad)

Burgers: Feltner Brothers still has the best standard cheeseburger I've ever had.  Hugo's has amazing gourmet burgers- the chiliburger alone makes me want to move back to Fayetteville.  Grubs has decent burgers/barfood

Seafood: powerhouse is the only option I know of, but IMO there's no good seafood in Arkansas.  It's too far inland, and almost everything is fried.  Catfish hole has good catfish

Cajun: Cafe Rue Orleans has ok cajun, but it's expensive.  Lyn D's cajun cafe is much cheaper and better, IMO, but they keep weird hours

Mexican: there's a lot of good mexican in Fayetteville.  My favorite is El Camino Real- it's by far the most authentic (from someone who's spent a lot of time in bordertowns in TX and the southwest).  The staff are also great people and the prices are good.  The rest of the places in town, Las Palmas, La Huerta, Elanitas, are all good, but none match El Camino.

Steaks: I like Doe's.  Hermann's is good, but pricey.

BBQ: Whole Hog, Penguin Ed's, and Lucky Luke's are all ok.  None are as good as Rivertowne in Conway.  I agree with another poster that there is no good brisket- there used to be, back when Toothpick's was still around.

Sandwiches: Hammontrees is excellent

Asian: I never had bad Thai or Chinese in Fayetteville- any of the places are good.  Most of the sushi/japanese places are good too, but they never seemed to last so I don't even know what is there any more.  There's an Indian place up in Rogers that is really good.

Wings: Foghorns most of the time, but if it's Monday, go to Mickey Finn's.  A professor at the school makes the hot wing sauce (and just the hot) and it is delicious.

Soul Food: Mama Dean's

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #10289 on: October 22, 2012, 07:11:43 am »

My wife and I really like that place when we come up for games as well

Who in their right mind would go out to eat a grilled cheese sandwich. That's silly.

leftymgp

« Reply #10290 on: October 22, 2012, 07:20:18 am »

I always have to go to the Venetian Inn every time I make it back to NWA.

spe450

« Reply #10291 on: October 22, 2012, 07:26:23 am »

New places you might have not tried yet...  Fresco Cafe (off the square)   

The Old Main ftw

WorfHog

• mupwI' tInwI'
« Reply #10292 on: October 22, 2012, 07:28:31 am »

Who in their right mind would go out to eat a grilled cheese sandwich. That's silly.

It sounds silly, but it's actually awesome.

spe450

« Reply #10293 on: October 22, 2012, 07:30:26 am »

You have no idea.  That place is packed all the time.

Arazorbackguy1

• Alive!
« Reply #10294 on: October 22, 2012, 07:32:20 am »

Not a big fan of the over priced Foghorns.  Wing stop wins on wings for me!

Michael Porkleone

« Reply #10295 on: October 22, 2012, 08:01:17 am »

I thought the same thing - until my wife convinced me to try it. 

The sandwiches are incredible. 

bolo

« Reply #10296 on: October 22, 2012, 08:31:41 am »

arts pattymelt
guidos pizza
catfish hole sucks
thats all you need to know

jwmhog

• Walk-On
« Reply #10297 on: October 22, 2012, 08:49:27 am »

Mezza Luna is very good and often overlooked. It is run by a prior chef at Bordinos

rzbkfan11

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10298 on: October 22, 2012, 09:04:20 am »

For a long time I kept hearing about Hugo's but never went just b/c going out to dinner just for burgers didn't really sound that great. However, we did end up going there for lunch before a game this season and I would def go back.  The burgers and fries were great. 
Also, recently tried Dam Good Pies but wasn't really impressed.  I thought Gusano's was better.  Guess it's just personal preference. 

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Today, we are teaching poodles how to fly...
« Reply #10299 on: October 22, 2012, 09:13:43 am »

I thought the same thing - until my wife convinced me to try it. 

The sandwiches are incredible. 

Is it where Bourbon Boys used to be?
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 ... 382   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas