General Sports Discussion > Motor Sports

Empty Seats

Pages: (1/1)

Racinray:

I know we all have talked a little bit about the empty seats in all the NASCAR races and was just curious of what's everyone's thoughts on why you think it's gotten this far down.
I've read on other message boards the reasons why those folks thought was the reasons, I'm curious what everyone on here thinks.
I think TV has a lot to do with it. Why go spend all that money to go to the races when I can stay home and watch it on TV and actually watch it better.
I want to hear what others think.

ricepig:

It's boring for the most part. Outside of the super speedways, Bristol, and the road courses, I won't watch 25% of the TV coverage. I went to those tracks and Ft Worth years ago and really don't have much desire to go back. As you said, you can see it much better on TV.

ImHogginIt:

--- Quote from: Racinray on April 22, 2018, 01:49:01 pm ---I know we all have talked a little bit about the empty seats in all the NASCAR races and was just curious of what's everyone's thoughts on why you think it's gotten this far down.
I've read on other message boards the reasons why those folks thought was the reasons, I'm curious what everyone on here thinks.
I think TV has a lot to do with it. Why go spend all that money to go to the races when I can stay home and watch it on TV and actually watch it better.
I want to hear what others think.

--- End quote ---

It is boring. Why ? Numerous reasons. Cars have had way too much downforce the past 10 yrs so too easy to drive. Hell even Richmond last night was boring the first 300 laps.  Way too many mile and a half tracks were built in the last 20 years. Take races away from some and add short tracks. They should have increased the banking at Texas on the repave and made it a plate race. Place would be a sellout watching a pack of cars go around for 334 laps

Buff:

It's somehow Brian France's fault.  I just don't like him.

Racinray:

--- Quote from: Buff on April 22, 2018, 02:49:39 pm ---It's somehow Brian France's fault.

--- End quote ---
I keep reading this and it all started when he took over.
Watching the NHRA race and theres not many empty seats there, granted there is fewer seats.

Buff:

--- Quote from: Racinray on April 22, 2018, 03:43:34 pm ---I keep reading this and it all started when he took over.
Watching the NHRA race and theres not many empty seats there, granted there is fewer seats.

--- End quote ---

Look how many changes started seemingly as soon as he took over.  That abortion known as the Car-of-Tomorrow.  Bigger emphasis on cookie cutter tracks.  The Chase and now the Playoff thingy they got going on.  Rule changes every year, and even during the season.  Changing rules to help Toyota get settled in.  Refusing to punish certain people or teams that constantly get caught cheating - they all but shut MWR down but keep giving the 48 team slaps on the wrist.

The best thing that's happened under his watch was finally bringing the GWC up to the big stage so that running the final 10 laps under caution won't happen anymore.

In my view, NA$CAR appears to have become a constant source of manufactured excitement, by executives who at times seem out of touch with the fans.  Much like Washington DC.

ImHogginIt:

Seriously I think the biggest problem is the cars. Still way too much downforce . Remove splitters and return the valence. Raise the hell out of side skirts because they are still basically on the ground. Make those things hard to drive at 170 mph.

Warbirdhog:

--- Quote from: Buff on April 22, 2018, 06:09:31 pm ---Look how many changes started seemingly as soon as he took over.  That abortion known as the Car-of-Tomorrow.  Bigger emphasis on cookie cutter tracks.  The Chase and now the Playoff thingy they got going on.  Rule changes every year, and even during the season.  Changing rules to help Toyota get settled in.  Refusing to punish certain people or teams that constantly get caught cheating - they all but shut MWR down but keep giving the 48 team slaps on the wrist.

The best thing that's happened under his watch was finally bringing the GWC up to the big stage so that running the final 10 laps under caution won't happen anymore.

In my view, NA$CAR appears to have become a constant source of manufactured excitement, by executives who at times seem out of touch with the fans.  Much like Washington DC.

--- End quote ---

You hit more than one nail on the head in my view. The constant rule changing and manufactured 'excitement' for sure. I agree that the GXC is a good thing and the best thing I like about the 'chase' format is that a driver can no longer go into Homestead and only need to finish the race or '20th or better' to win the championship. They actually have to try to win the race or finish in front of 3 other drivers to win it, no more gimmes.

riccoar:

People want speed, so taking that away is not an issue.  Also, the playoff is a good thing.  That resulted from the old Cup format.  Now the COT was abysmal and the hit the economy took.  All you have to do is look at all the sponsors of the late 90's and early 2000's that are no longer there.

grayhawg:

They have made it too even, all bodys have to be the same with vinyl stick on grills. And that's just to help also rans to be more competitive. Racing was better with manufacture's body and a simple weight per CID rules.

riccoar:

Once the Mustangs get there, it will be more like the real bodies.  I think it would be good to have Dodge back too.

ImHogginIt:

--- Quote from: riccoar on April 23, 2018, 11:03:53 am ---People want speed, so taking that away is not an issue.  Also, the playoff is a good thing.  That resulted from the old Cup format.  Now the COT was abysmal and the hit the economy took.  All you have to do is look at all the sponsors of the late 90's and early 2000's that are no longer there.

--- End quote ---

I don't care about speed. I want bumping and banging. Not so much wrecks but bumping and banging like we saw the last 50 laps Saturday and the prev week at Bristol

10thPlanet:

Cookie cutter tracks, not enough short tracks. Sick of the aero component, fuel mileage and tires that last 425 laps. Build a 1/4 mile, run inverted heat races, and 250 lap feature. Let them choose what tire brand and compound. They can build stadium like seating around the track, and still have 100K+ seats. Too many rules, too many babies. The ones that threaten to quit let them go, someone competitive will replace them. Run the ASA/All Pro/ARTGO tracks of the 70's and 80's. Stands will be full. TV ratings will be off the charts.

ImHogginIt:

--- Quote from: ImHogginIt on April 23, 2018, 06:08:46 am ---Seriously I think the biggest problem is the cars. Still way too much downforce . Remove splitters and return the valence. Raise the hell out of side skirts because they are still basically on the ground. Make those things hard to drive at 170 mph.

--- End quote ---

2001 cars. Click to enlarge

East Clintwood:

It's not TV

The races have been televised for 50 years or more.

The drivers are boring, sanitized versions of what they used to be.

The cars are all the same/  They actually used to have different cars, not just decals.  It used to mean something to be a Chevy fan.  Or a Ford or Dodge fan.  What's the point now?  My decals are better than your decals?

The rules are stupid now.  Go back to the format of the '80's/'90's.

GroŖer Kriegschwein:

--- Quote from: East Clintwood on May 20, 2018, 12:51:55 pm ---It's not TV

The races have been televised for 50 years or more.

The drivers are boring, sanitized versions of what they used to be.

The cars are all the same/  They actually used to have different cars, not just decals.  It used to mean something to be a Chevy fan.  Or a Ford or Dodge fan.  What's the point now?  My decals are better than your decals?

The rules are stupid now.  Go back to the format of the '80's/'90's.

--- End quote ---

This.

They lost me after the Ferko Lawsuit. My dadís entire extended family lives within 15 miles of Darlington.

One more reason to hate Texas

ImHogginIt:

Man there is damn near nobody at the Texas truck race tonight. How do they justify having this race ?

Racinray:

--- Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 08, 2018, 09:16:21 pm ---Man there is damn near nobody at the Texas truck race tonight. How do they justify having this race ?

--- End quote ---
Indy cars won't have much more.

DLUXHOG:

Ticket price too great for the real fans?    I reckon thatís what NASCAR gets for catering to the finicky blue blood crowd....

Racinray:

Lets change the subject. What's everyones thoughts on cup drivers in the Xfinity races. That seems to be the hot topic on all the NASCAR talk shows.
I think they should not be in the Xfinity races, let these guys have their own race without the high dollar guys.
I know everyone says it puts people in the stands, have you seen the stands lately?
Just my thoughts, what's yours?

ImHogginIt:

--- Quote from: Racinray on June 09, 2018, 07:42:28 am ---Lets change the subject. What's everyones thoughts on cup drivers in the Xfinity races. That seems to be the hot topic on all the NASCAR talk shows.
I think they should not be in the Xfinity races, let these guys have their own race without the high dollar guys.
I know everyone says it puts people in the stands, have you seen the stands lately?
Just my thoughts, what's yours?

--- End quote ---

Agree 100% with ya. Keep em' out.

On another note Keselowski said the other day they don't need to run tha all star rules package anywhere but the all star race. Says running it elsewhere will cause the best drivers to go to other forms of racing :-)  Frick Brad ! He best learn he is there to entertain and put butts in the seats and they are failing miserably at that. I've bought my last ticket to Texas Motor Speedway unless they run the all star package there. I'm sick of wasting my money on boring races there.

ImHogginIt:

--- Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 09, 2018, 11:06:52 am ---Agree 100% with ya. Keep em' out.

On another note Keselowski said the other day they don't need to run tha all star rules package anywhere but the all star race. Says running it elsewhere will cause the best drivers to go to other forms of racing :-)  Frick Brad ! He best learn he is there to entertain and put butts in the seats and they are failing miserably at that. I've bought my last ticket to Texas Motor Speedway unless they run the all star package there. I'm sick of wasting my money on boring races there.

--- End quote ---

Score 1 for Ty Dillon with his response to Keselowski

"I guess we will find out who cares about our sport and who cares about themselves! "

Racinray:

--- Quote from: Racinray on June 08, 2018, 09:39:45 pm ---Indy cars won't have much more.

--- End quote ---
Actually a decent crowd, I was wrong.

Buff:

I'm actually surprised too at how many people are at the Indy race

Racinray:

Never been to a Indy car race, I'll make it to one eventually.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version