General Sports Discussion > Motor Sports

Tejas !

Pages: (1/1)

ImHogginIt:

Looks like the weather will be perfect. Can't wait to people watch, drink and listen/feel the engines in my bones. The race will be a snoozer as usual though.

Racinray:

I'll be there Friday, thinking about the dirt track Friday night.

Buff:

Finally back away from that boring short track and back to a cookie cutter!

Racinray:

--- Quote from: ImHogginIt on April 02, 2018, 11:34:12 pm ---Looks like the weather will be perfect.

--- End quote ---
Is the weather looking good for Friday, Saturday and Sunday? Can't get a decent weather forecast here for there.

ImHogginIt:

--- Quote from: Racinray on April 03, 2018, 08:55:41 pm ---Is the weather looking good for Friday, Saturday and Sunday? Can't get a decent weather forecast here for there.

--- End quote ---

Looks to be on several services : Friday a high around 80 with 10-20% chance of rain. Saturday a high 50 to 54 with 10-20% rain and Sunday a high around 70 with 10% chance of rain in the day. Rain chance 40% Sun night so lets hope that pushes off until Monday

Buff:

As expected, it's Kyle Busch vs. Stewart-Haas

ImHogginIt:

--- Quote from: ImHogginIt on April 03, 2018, 11:55:21 pm ---Looks to be on several services : Friday a high around 80 with 10-20% chance of rain. Saturday a high 50 to 54 with 10-20% rain and Sunday a high around 70 with 10% chance of rain in the day. Rain chance 40% Sun night so lets hope that pushes off until Monday

--- End quote ---

Forecast was way off. This am forecast was also off. They said it would be 51 at green flag but it was 42 with a strong wind. Cold beer made me even colder. My wife was miserable as the first stage ended and frankly my back has a tough time at sporting events in the cold so we left after only 100 laps. Made it home with 130 laps left. That place was as empty as I've ever seen it today.

Buff:

Harvick made Kyle Busch win this one. 

The difference at the end was Kyle's team being able to tell him exactly when Harvick was letting out of the gas and how he was timing his entries. 

Last year, that info wouldn't have been available.  The 'Harvicking' term thrown around earlier this year was just a big joke, although I'm not sure the geniuses in the booth realized it.  'Harvicking' was just the other teams being able now to spy on the 4 car's live telemetry data. 

Still an exciting finish to watch.  Kyle even got a few cheers from the crowd.

Warbirdhog:

--- Quote from: Buff on April 08, 2018, 04:59:36 pm ---Harvick made Kyle Busch win this one. 

The difference at the end was Kyle's team being able to tell him exactly when Harvick was letting out of the gas and how he was timing his entries. 

Last year, that info wouldn't have been available.  The 'Harvicking' term thrown around earlier this year was just a big joke, although I'm not sure the geniuses in the booth realized it.  'Harvicking' was just the other teams being able now to spy on the 4 car's live telemetry data. 

Still an exciting finish to watch.  Kyle even got a few cheers from the crowd.

--- End quote ---

So SHR doesn't have the same ability to 'spy' on the other teams? And if they do would that not make it basically a level playing field in that regard? Maybe that is part of what has been making SHR 'better' than the other teams so far.

Buff:

You never heard the word Busching being thrown around this year. But you did hear radio chatter yesterday about Kyle copying Harvicks entry points when he was trying to hold the lead. Facts versus your conjecture. 

holeinthewall:

--- Quote from: ImHogginIt on April 08, 2018, 04:34:26 pm ---Forecast was way off. This am forecast was also off. They said it would be 51 at green flag but it was 42 with a strong wind. Cold beer made me even colder. My wife was miserable as the first stage ended and frankly my back has a tough time at sporting events in the cold so we left after only 100 laps. Made it home with 130 laps left. That place was as empty as I've ever seen it today.

--- End quote ---

The 2005 Busch race the entire grandstand was full.  Amazing how far attendance has declined.  Place looked empty.  I am guessing parking and traffic aren't an issue any more.  BTW 2005 was the last year I was at the Texas race.

razorbackfan86:

--- Quote from: ImHogginIt on April 08, 2018, 04:34:26 pm ---Forecast was way off. This am forecast was also off. They said it would be 51 at green flag but it was 42 with a strong wind. Cold beer made me even colder. My wife was miserable as the first stage ended and frankly my back has a tough time at sporting events in the cold so we left after only 100 laps. Made it home with 130 laps left. That place was as empty as I've ever seen it today.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like my 1st and only NASCAR experience @ TMS. I can't remember the year I went, but the Saturday before the race it was a blue bird day with temps in the high 80's. By race day, a cold front had come in that was not expected, and green flag temp was in the low 40's with a stiff wind. My friends and I brought 30 beer to split between the 3 of us, walked out with 27. It was miserable.

Warbirdhog:

--- Quote from: Buff on April 09, 2018, 07:04:55 am ---You never heard the word Busching being thrown around this year. But you did hear radio chatter yesterday about Kyle copying Harvicks entry points when he was trying to hold the lead. Facts versus your conjecture.

--- End quote ---

Conjecture or not what is to keep SHR or any other team from doing the same? And as far as a driver copying what is working for another driver on the track if it also work for them, that's an age old racing tactic. Kyle was close enough to Harvick when Harvick was out front to see the point Harvick was hitting. I get it because it was Kyle Bush much more will be made of it (as usual) than had it been someone else. 

ImHogginIt:

--- Quote from: holeinthewall on April 09, 2018, 08:20:51 am ---The 2005 Busch race the entire grandstand was full.  Amazing how far attendance has declined.  Place looked empty.  I am guessing parking and traffic aren't an issue any more.  BTW 2005 was the last year I was at the Texas race.

--- End quote ---

Parking and traffic is not as issue at all. And if you don't like your seats get up and move anywhere  :-[

I predict Texas loses a race in a few years even though drivers love the place

ricepig:

--- Quote from: ImHogginIt on April 09, 2018, 05:24:21 pm ---Parking and traffic is not as issue at all. And if you don't like your seats get up and move anywhere  :-[

I predict Texas loses a race in a few years even though drivers love the place

--- End quote ---
Can't that he said about a lot of places? I'd be surprised if they don't cut the total number of races in a few seasons.

Racinray:

My update, I was there Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Friday was hot and why they delayed and finally cancalled qualifying is beyond me.
Saturday, I don't think I have ever been that cold. I contribute alot to the weather for the crowd.
Sunday, It was still cold but not as bad as Saturday.
When I first started going to Texas you had to get there early to miss the massive traffic jam, now you can get there anytime and just drive in, really sad.
Both races I thought were the typical 1 1/2 mile snoozefest.
On a different note, got to sit in Harvicks pit box both races, that was fun and different.

Buff:

--- Quote from: Racinray on April 09, 2018, 07:26:43 pm ---On a different note, got to sit in Harvicks pit box both races, that was fun and different.

--- End quote ---

It's funny how, all of a sudden, I hate you.

ImHogginIt:

--- Quote from: Racinray on April 09, 2018, 07:26:43 pm ---My update, I was there Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Friday was hot and why they delayed and finally cancalled qualifying is beyond me.
Saturday, I don't think I have ever been that cold. I contribute alot to the weather for the crowd.
Sunday, It was still cold but not as bad as Saturday.
When I first started going to Texas you had to get there early to miss the massive traffic jam, now you can get there anytime and just drive in, really sad.
Both races I thought were the typical 1 1/2 mile snoozefest.
On a different note, got to sit in Harvicks pit box both races, that was fun and different.

--- End quote ---

Bet there was no more than 60,000 Sunday. It is sad but the track is boring. Should have increased the banking to 36 degrees in all 4 turns and made the place a plate track.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version