• 9,879,879 Posts
• 398,136 Topics
• 22,800 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hudson Henry breaks down top 5  (Read 13864 times)

Richard Davenport

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • TRD - The Recruiting Dog
Hudson Henry breaks down top 5
« on: May 31, 2018, 10:46:34 pm »

flagstaffhog

Re: Hudson Henry breaks down top 5
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 04:01:08 pm »

Go HOGS Go!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 11:04:13 pm »

I like our chances.  Beyond that, I like even more that if it isnít us, we wonít have to play against him unless itís in a bowl game.

Richard Davenport

• Global Moderator
  • TRD - The Recruiting Dog
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 10:13:56 am »

I like our chances.  Beyond that, I like even more that if it isnít us, we wonít have to play against him unless itís in a bowl game.

He broke things down very well. No surprises with Hudson as far as what he's looking for.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 10:39:13 am »

the headline read "Hudson Henry Breaks..." i thought for sure "leg" was coming. jeez, gave me a start.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 11:38:10 am »

He broke things down very well. No surprises with Hudson as far as what he's looking for.

I agree.  He did.  I really think if CCM uses the TE position well this fall, it could solidify him picking us.  Hopefully our tight ends show out a bit.

PlanoHog

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 04:15:10 pm »

Based on what I heard today, Stanford feels very very good about HH. Letís not forget Hunter is on the West Coast as well and I imagine for the foreseeable future.

ricepig

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 04:19:07 pm »

Based on what I heard today, Stanford feels very very good about HH. Letís not forget Hunter is on the West Coast as well and I imagine for the foreseeable future.

And Hayden is in Fayetteville for the next 3 years, I doubt either will have much effect on his final destination.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 09:28:06 am »

I think he definitely likes Stanford and is waiting for Arkansas to show him something. If Arkansas does not, whatever that thing is, then Stanford is a fine option to have and he will take it.

Arthur pigby sellers.

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 01:19:47 pm »

I think he definitely likes Stanford and is waiting for Arkansas to show him something. If Arkansas does not, whatever that thing is, then Stanford is a fine option to have and he will take it.
I know itís been said on here way too many times, but the older my kids get the harder it would be for me to let them turn down a Stanford education.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 04:33:15 pm »

As much as I love the Razorbacks and my home state, it would be really hard for me to pass up Stanford if I were him.  A school with a good football program, and the academic prowess that will set him up for life.

sickboy

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 05:00:20 pm »

As much as I love the Razorbacks and my home state, it would be really hard for me to pass up Stanford if I were him.  A school with a good football program, and the academic prowess that will set him up for life.

Not to mention you're in Silicon Valley.

ricepig

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 05:01:16 pm »

And have to pay Silicon Valley prices, lol.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 05:48:20 pm »

Stanford is Stanford and has been remarkably consistent with Shaw.  By all accounts he is as stand up as it gets as a HC and runs a sound, clean, strong program.

He's so familiar with Arkansas, I doubt there is anything they could show him except for putting a dynamic product on the field.  The best thing the staff can do at this point is have positive momentum and a fun supportive atmosphere. 

AirWarren

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 05:55:06 pm »

I know itís been said on here way too many times, but the older my kids get the harder it would be for me to let them turn down a Stanford education.

Bingo.

31to6

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 06:21:04 pm »

I got to Silcon Valley several times a year. It is one of the the most soulless places on the planet. There is almost nothing to do there. No sense of community. The place is a ghost-town by 5pm--and with all the big tech companies having on-site *everything* (gyms, yoga, massage, gourmet chefs, stores, etc, etc) there is a major lack of the basic things that make a place nice to live for everyone else.  Traffic is terrible. Mass transit is bad. I travel on a generous expense account so I can afford to stay anywhere and do anything I want, but for everyone not pulling down $200k at Apple or Facebook, life is ridiculously expensive.

The area around Stanford is nice and has a neat area more attuned to college life, and the weather is really good (if completely boring), but there are dozens of better places to live in California.

sickboy

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 06:53:10 pm »

I got to Silcon Valley several times a year. It is one of the the most soulless places on the planet. There is almost nothing to do there. No sense of community. The place is a ghost-town by 5pm--and with all the big tech companies having on-site *everything* (gyms, yoga, massage, gourmet chefs, stores, etc, etc) there is a major lack of the basic things that make a place nice to live for everyone else.  Traffic is terrible. Mass transit is bad. I travel on a generous expense account so I can afford to stay anywhere and do anything I want, but for everyone not pulling down $200k at Apple or Facebook, life is ridiculously expensive.

The area around Stanford is nice and has a neat area more attuned to college life, and the weather is really good (if completely boring), but there are dozens of better places to live in California.

Oh, I'm fully aware. I live out here in California and know the area well. My wife and I debate moving somewhere less expensive a few times a year and cost of living is the leader of that conversation.

But for a college kid going to Stanford who is also interested in entrepreneurialship or tech or both, you gotta imagine your'e going to be around some really smart people who you can swim with. I have no idea if this means anything to Henry. I'd imagine cost of living isn't an issue for them.

sickboy

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 06:54:34 pm »

And have to pay Silicon Valley prices, lol.

Pshhh. Football'll pick up that bill. ;)

ricepig

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 07:10:31 pm »

Pshhh. Football'll pick up that bill. ;)

Yeah, the same football that's picking up his brother's in San Diego.

sickboy

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 07:11:38 pm »

Yeah, the same football that's picking up his brother's in San Diego.

*Los Angeles

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 07:34:35 pm »

L.A. is far away from Stanford.

ricepig

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 08:04:56 pm »

*Los Angeles

Same thing, it's being paid for by the pro's.

31to6

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 10:06:26 pm »

Oh, I'm fully aware. I live out here in California and know the area well. My wife and I debate moving somewhere less expensive a few times a year and cost of living is the leader of that conversation.

But for a college kid going to Stanford who is also interested in entrepreneurialship or tech or both, you gotta imagine your'e going to be around some really smart people who you can swim with. I have no idea if this means anything to Henry. I'd imagine cost of living isn't an issue for them.
If you can afford to live in Silicon Valley, you can afford to live in a lot of places that are much, much nicer.

247Hog

• Senior
  • Regular Sized Rudy Calling the Hogs
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 01:58:15 pm »

If you can afford to live in Silicon Valley, you can afford to live in a lot of places that are much, much nicer.

Rocket23

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2018, 08:55:27 pm »

Clemson is deep in his thoughts!

hogfan992

• Walk-On
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2018, 08:56:40 pm »

Clemson is deep in his thoughts!
Haha its between us and Stanford honestly

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2018, 09:21:00 pm »

Unless he plans on living on the west coast a Stanford network sounds good but ends up being useless if he wants to ultimately live in the South.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2018, 09:54:03 pm »

Unless he plans on living on the west coast a Stanford network sounds good but ends up being useless if he wants to ultimately live in the South.
Not many employers would pass on hiring a Stanford grad.

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2018, 10:40:20 pm »

If they are hiring them just because of a Stanford education, Iíll show you a business thatís not going to make it.

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2018, 12:29:00 pm »

Stanford grads wouldn't be looking for a job if they lived on the west coast. Here they get in line with everyone else. Maybe a little further up the line but not the same as Cali.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2018, 01:40:09 pm »

Stanford is Stanford and has been remarkably consistent with Shaw.  By all accounts he is as stand up as it gets as a HC and runs a sound, clean, strong program.

He's so familiar with Arkansas, I doubt there is anything they could show him except for putting a dynamic product on the field.  The best thing the staff can do at this point is have positive momentum and a fun supportive atmosphere. 

By show him something, thatís pretty much what I mean. On field, TE usage scheme advertised actually employed, Coaching style (I recall hearing that Hunter would probably not have attended Arkansas if Petrino had still been HC b/c of his crass style of behavior), etc.

Those are pretty much literally the only kind of things he could be waiting on if he is waiting on anything from Arkansas.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2018, 01:44:51 pm »

If he is not waiting on anything from Arkansas then my gut tells me that he may just want to get out of the shadow of his brothers and/or ďgo awayĒ for school and wisely does not wish to advertise that so far in advance and subject himself to angst of homestate strangers are year.

If a kid just decides he wants to get away from home then there is just not too much you can do about that but say ok and good luck.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 01:58:01 pm »

Stanford grads wouldn't be looking for a job if they lived on the west coast. Here they get in line with everyone else. Maybe a little further up the line but not the same as Cali.
It's surprising to me the lack of understanding from many on here about the true value of a Stanford degree. A Stanford defer is not "standing in line" at Stephens, Inc. with all the UA grads.

oldhawg

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 04:57:30 pm »

This 2016 survey puts Stanford at #4 on the The "25 best colleges for a landing a high-paying job right out of school" list.

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-colleges-for-high-paying-jobs-2016-2

Median starting salary: $65,800

#1 on the list?

Harvey Mudd College.

Median starting salary: $76, 300.

(same source).

LRrazorback

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 06:14:12 pm »

This 2016 survey puts Stanford at #4 on the The "25 best colleges for a landing a high-paying job right out of school" list.

#1 on the list?

Harvey Mudd College.

(same source).

Doesn't matter, what does an NFL player from Stanford make vs an NFL player from AR?

ricepig

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 06:30:25 pm »

It's surprising to me the lack of understanding from many on here about the true value of a Stanford degree. A Stanford defer is not "standing in line" at Stephens, Inc. with all the UA grads.
Don't blame them, Stephens starts you out at about 1/2-2/3 of what other private investment firms do.

cram224

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 08:42:25 pm »

I would hate to think he is going to Stanford so he can get a job at Stephens.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 09:43:12 pm »

Right now post NFL plans are more in the family business mode.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 10:38:35 pm »

I would hate to think he is going to Stanford so he can get a job at Stephens.
The point is people saying a Stanford degree doesn't help you in Arkansas. It does.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2018, 08:07:02 am »

#1 on the list?

Harvey Mudd College.

(same source).

I think his brother made slightly more than that right out of The University of Arkansas AND can come back to Arkansas after his NFL career and make a lot more than that as a celebrity doing commercials and such, never getting into the meatgrinder that is investment banking.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2018, 08:25:47 am »

By show him something, thatís pretty much what I mean. On field, TE usage scheme advertised actually employed, Coaching style (I recall hearing that Hunter would probably not have attended Arkansas if Petrino had still been HC b/c of his crass style of behavior), etc.

Those are pretty much literally the only kind of things he could be waiting on if he is waiting on anything from Arkansas.
If crass attitude is a worry, I don't think it will be a problem with Morris. Petrino was not very religious. Morris is a devout Christian and it shows in his mannerisms.
A bad sign, however, is that Morris did not utilize the TE much as a pass catcher in 2017 at SMU. Now that could be that none of his TEs were good enough, or that three WRs got the lions share of receptions. But statistically, it doesn't look good when trying to recruit a receiving-TE...especially the #1 TE in the 2019 class!
I still think Henry will follow his brothers and his dad to Arkansas, but Jeremy Patton, Austin Cantrell, and Cheyenne O'Grady must have more than 1 reception per game, or Hudson will head to the west coast.

oldhawg

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2018, 09:02:09 am »

I think his brother made slightly more than that right out of The University of Arkansas AND can come back to Arkansas after his NFL career and make a lot more than that as a celebrity doing commercials and such, never getting into the meatgrinder that is investment banking.

All that you say is true, and I am not suggesting that he turn away from a lucrative pro football contract.  But those are for people with extraordinarily skills that have a special place in the job market.  Professional athlete's contracts are not even considered when compiling statistics about average salary for students right out of college, or so I am led to believe.

I wonder how many young men who had the talent and the aspirations to be a professional athlete, but ruined a knee, suffered severe concussions, experienced some other debilitating injury or disease, or simply just lost the desire to play at the professional level?  I don't know the answer, but IMO the statistics are probably pretty compelling.

Does a degree from the University of Arkansas by student athletes open doors in the job market in Arkansas?  Yes, of course it does.  But also IMO a degree from Stanford would not be a disadvantage in seeking employment, even in Arkansas.  Hell, even Houston Nutt, who got his degree at Oklahoma State, made his millions in Arkansas ( I know, his is another special case that adds little to the discussion).

I truly hope that Hudson Henry becomes a Razorback, but can't fault the young man for considering all potentially productive options.   

Been10Hog

• Senior
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2018, 09:08:22 am »

Is a Stanford grad going to go ahead of a Razorback All American at Walmart, Tyson, J.B. Hunt......?

Been10Hog

• Senior
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2018, 09:15:36 am »

So, since this thread is about his brother....the people on this board who are enamored with a Stanford degree think that if Hunter Henry came back to Arkansas after his NFL career and wanted to work at Tyson, J.B. Hunt, Stephens, Walmart he would have to get in line behind anyone who applied from Stanford. Those who think so have not been around Arkansas long or do not have an understanding of how things work here!

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2018, 09:16:15 am »

People put too much emphasis on where a degree comes from. A degree does not make the man.

I hunt with a couple buddies with MBAís from Harvard and Duke. And I wouldnít trade my situation for theirs for all the tea in china.

ricepig

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2018, 09:49:19 am »

People put too much emphasis on where a degree comes from. A degree does not make the man.

I hunt with a couple buddies with MBAís from Harvard and Duke. And I wouldnít trade my situation for theirs for all the tea in china.

Correct, my oldest has a MBA from Walton College and works right beside those with MBA's from Stanford, Northwestern, Chicago, Tufts, etc....they all started out with the same pay.

oldhawg

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2018, 11:52:33 am »

Correct, my oldest has a MBA from Walton College and works right beside those with MBA's from Stanford, Northwestern, Chicago, Tufts, etc....they all started out with the same pay.

As it should be. 

But the issue was (by some) that an Arkansan athlete, who got his degree at Stanford, would be at a disadvantage if competing for a job in Arkansas with an athlete that graduated from the U of A.  IMO, that is just not the case.

In this particular case, the Henry name is well established in Arkansas athletic circles, and again IMO attending Stanford would not hinder Hudson's opportunity to get a job in Arkansas (following a productive pro career).

I will repeat, however, that I hope he becomes a Razorback and adds his name to the Henry Legacy at Arkansas. 

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2018, 12:24:10 pm »

Congrats to your oldest. But that's an aberration. A higher % of MBA's from those other schools end up in that position than they do from Walton.

It can't seriously be argued that in the aggregate graduates of UA do as well financially as do grads of Stanford.

imtad16

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2018, 12:45:18 pm »

Congrats to your oldest. But that's an aberration. A higher % of MBA's from those other schools end up in that position than they do from Walton.

It can't seriously be argued that in the aggregate graduates of UA do as well financially as do grads of Stanford.

He's not going to grad school. He's getting his undergrad and playing football. Play football where you want and then go to grad school. I think the Dominique Foxworth route is the wise approch. University of Maryland --> NFL --> Harvard Business School. Grad school matters more in the end and if you can get into Stanford for undergrad you are really smart and probably won't have a problem getting into the grad program of your choice.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2018, 01:14:41 pm »

He's not going to grad school. He's getting his undergrad and playing football. Play football where you want and then go to grad school. I think the Dominique Foxworth route is the wise approch. University of Maryland --> NFL --> Harvard Business School. Grad school matters more in the end and if you can get into Stanford for undergrad you are really smart and probably won't have a problem getting into the grad program of your choice.
He can get into Stanford undergrad because of football. His grades and scores wouldn't get him in if he was a "typical" student. If so inclined, why not go ahead and get the best degree possible? Even for a 5*, making the NFL can't be the sole plan.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas