Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jbcarol on 25 May 2018
  • Layne Hatcher, a three-star quarterback from Arkansas who had been committed to Arkansas State, announced his commitment to the Crimson Tide

"It's crazy," Hatcher told Arkansas Online. "I was thinking I was going to Arkansas State a month from now to packing my bags tonight and going down tomorrow to Alabama."
  • #2 by holeinthewall on 26 May 2018
  • Stupid move.  He will never see the field at Bama.  He could have had a shot at the starting job at ASU in a year.
  • #3 by Seminole Indian on 26 May 2018
  • Actually the only real chatter among A-State fans when he committed was whether or not  he a walk-on, or a preferred  walk-on. When it began to appear he was a blue shirt, the consensus was that it was a PR deal to get inroads into LR and he would never see the field. Great competitor but to short and a weak arm.

My impression is that Anderson and Saban see something else.

I will remind everyone that the A-State fans were pretty much of the same mind about undersized blue-shirt freshman Center/NG Hunter Morton from Ft Smith last year.  Most thought it was a legacy deal because his brother played at A-State and/or they wanted to maintain a presence in that part of the state. No one expected him to contribute much at A-State, ever.

Morton ended up starting as a true last year at NG, a position they were loaded with talent, and has already appeared on some pre-season All-SBC teams this year. He could start for a lot of P5's, and if he were on the market would almost certainly have SEC opportunities. The guy is now 300 lb and a monster on the field.
  • #4 by yraciv on 26 May 2018
  • Wow! Best of luck to Layne. I really thought he could put up big numbers at a midmajor. At Bama the plan will obviously be to redshirt. Then in 2019, he will likely be competing with Tua, Tua's younger brother (Bama Commit), Paul Tyson (another commit) and Mac Jones.  He may be able to beat out 1 or 2, but can't see how he ever sees the field there barring an injury to the starter.  Both commits are highly rated, like Bama will always get.

I think his best opportunity would be a doomsday scenario for Bama where Jalen or Tua transfers prior to the season, and the other undergoes a season ending injury. At that point, you have him and Mac Jones on scholarship. I don't know much about Mac, but I assume he would have a better feel of the offense at that point and don't envision Layne passing him on the depth chart as a true FR.

Can't really fault him for wanting to compete with the best though. He has been the man in sports most of his life, so he'll likely learn real quick whether he has the goods to compete with the best.
  • #5 by jbcarol on 29 May 2018
  • Destin: Nick Saban explains why Alabama added QB

"We were excited to be able to ... he has been in a very winning program," Saban said. "He's a very bright guy. He's a good athlete. I thought he was a really good decision maker. Actually, very accurate with the ball. We were kind of excited to get somebody of his caliber to be able to come in and contribute at that position because of our numbers situation there."

Hatcher comes to Alabama from Little Rock's Pulaski Academy. Known for its unorthodox style that includes kicking onside every time and never punting, the Bruins have won four straight state championships.
  • #6 by holeinthewall on 30 May 2018
  • Destin: Nick Saban explains why Alabama added QB

LMAO  Guess he couldn't tell the truth.  He knows whoever of Jalen or Tau losses the QB job is transferring.
  • #7 by GolfNut57 on 30 May 2018
  • LMAO  Guess he couldn't tell the truth.  He knows whoever of Jalen or Tau losses the QB job is transferring.

Yep. If the kid was as good as Saban claims now then why did they try to get him to greyshirt at first instead of offering a scholly at the start?
  • #8 by asuato on 08 Jun 2018
  • They signed him to try and get the P. A. tight end. ONLY reason they offered. He will hold a clipboard for four years there, although it might have been the same at ASU.
  • #9 by sowmonella on 09 Jun 2018
  • They signed him to try and get the P. A. tight end. ONLY reason they offered. He will hold a clipboard for four years there, although it might have been the same at ASU.

ZERO chance that will work.
  • #10 by Seminole Indian on 11 Jun 2018
    With QB's Aldon Clark and transfer Blake Dever announcing they are transferring, they are down to two scholarship players at A-State so he might have had a chance to earn pt there.

Former JB walk-on Carson Coats, is their #3, and they are not sure they are going to add another for this year.

Former Wynne/Cincinnati QB Ross Trail might end up there but would have to sit out 2018.

Did pick up a commit from Texarkana, TX (TEXAS HIGH) 3-Star QB Coltin Clark for 2019, but still could be short on numbers.

https://247sports.com/Player/Coltin-Clack-46042031
Pages:
Actions