• 10,015,214 Posts
• 401,417 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018 Belmont Thread-Will Justify become the 13th Triple Crown Champion?  (Read 2329 times)

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

I am probably in the minority I don't care who beats him I just hope Justify gets beat.

oldman1015

I am probably in the minority I don't care who beats him I just hope Justify gets beat.
Them choosing not to run Audible kinda makes me feel the same way.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

heavylifting

• Senior

Re Woody Stephens, he was running something of a trainer's university before Lukas spawned Pletcher, McLaughlin, Stewart, Hennig and others.

Phil Gleaves, David Donk and Bill Badgett all came up under Woody, as did Sandy Bruno, who had a brief stint out on her own before deciding that she preferred working under someone else.  She joined the Nick Zito stable after Woody died; not sure if she is still with him. As for Badgett, whose best-known runner will always be Go For Wand, I think he is either working for NYRA or is a jock's agent.

ghostzapper

• All-American Hogvillian

Was on the backside hanging around Terranovaís (Baffertís) barn this am and saw Justify.  Impressive specimen.  He took a fairly spirited spin around the track. 

Noble Indy is Justifyís competition for lead?

HogFanInBryant

I hope Justify does his finest impression of Big Brown tomorrow honestly!

kingoftherapids

I think he runs them off their feet and wins by lengths. he is superior. the key to get him beat is go out and hook him into some suicidal pace with 2 or 3 horses. mike is smart enough to know who is a legit threat on the front end. a scrub that can't get past a mile and an eight won't scare him as he has shown he can rate

hogoffate

I'm kind of torn on Justify.  Looking at the All Stakes Pick 4, you either have to single him and spread in the other races where there are no "superior" stand outs OR throw him out and use 3-4 upset candidates and "shorten up" in the other contentious races.  Hopefully I'll decide before the 8th tomorrow.
Good luck to all.

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian

I'm kind of torn on Justify.  Looking at the All Stakes Pick 4, you either have to single him and spread in the other races where there are no "superior" stand outs OR throw him out and use 3-4 upset candidates and "shorten up" in the other contentious races.  Hopefully I'll decide before the 8th tomorrow.
Good luck to all.

If you think it will pay play a big ticket.  Or spread out and single him on one ticket and on another play a large ticket still play him but go deeper and if he wins hopefully you still make money.

sooiepig_12

• Varsity

Played a dollar pick 3 starting with race 5.  3,8,9/5,7,8/3,4,6,8.  What are yíalls thoughts?  The 7th race worries me the most.  Left out a couple of horses on the outside posts with higher speed figures than the rest of the field.  But feel like the pace will be pretty hot.

HogFanInBryant

Congrats to Bob, Mike, and especially Justify!  He earned the entire mile and a half wire to wire!  He is a deserved champion! 

Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter

• President and life time member of the Hobby Shop.
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • SPORTS HAS NEVER BEEN SO UGLY!
    • facebook.com/uglyuncle.

I watched that race and jumped out of my recliner and whoooped like Rick Flare.  Love to see a triple crown.  Not so long ago people wondered if we would ever see one again, now two in the last few years.

heavylifting

• Senior

I watched that race and jumped out of my recliner and whoooped like Rick Flare.  Love to see a triple crown.  Not so long ago people wondered if we would ever see one again, now two in the last few years.
Same thing back in the 1970s. 25 years between Citation (1948) and Secretariat (1973), people wondered if there would be another one until Big Red. Then Seattle Slew and Affirmed within the next five years. I wouldn't be surprised if there are another one or two before 2025. And then there may be a dry spell for a long time. It's cyclical with feasts and famines.

But the best part is that both American Pharoah and Justify earned their titles. I don't think anybody will go around saying that they backed their way into their wins via easy setups.

And let's not forget that before the Kentucky Derby, people were calling this one of the deeper 3-year-old crops to come around in recent years. Justify wasn't beating a bunch of dogs.

HawgWild

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Left lane, Hey!? Whereís my hammer?

Congrats to the Triple Crown winner and crew.

What was all that talk about Noble Indy being on the early lead?
Looked like Restoring Hope was running a little interference for the first half mile.
Hofburg ran into a wall in the long turn for the homestretch.

oldman1015

Impressive race. He deserves it after that performance.

HogFanInBryant

Congrats to the Triple Crown winner and crew.

What was all that talk about Noble Indy being on the early lead?
Looked like Restoring Hope was running a little interference for the first half mile.
Hofburg ran into a wall in the long turn for the homestretch.

If there was ever a horse that had no excuse in the Belmont, it was Hofburg.  He just wan't good enough, and Justify would have won if they would have ran around a 2nd time lol.

cbhawg03

If there was ever a horse that had no excuse in the Belmont, it was Hofburg.  He just wan't good enough, and Justify would have won if they would have ran around a 2nd time lol.

Hofburg didnít deserve to be in the race?  You mad you lost man or what? 

HogFanInBryant

Mad?  Quite the opposite...I lost and was saying he had no excuse.  He did however belong in the race.  He ran 3rd and he's bred to go long.  Plus Bill Mott doesn't run horses if they don't have a chance in big races.  Never has, never will.  I love that Justify won the TC...just hate that Satan has partial ownership is all.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Home is where ya hang your hat, nice colors though

They could have went around another lap and nobody was passing that horse. Justify sticks it in cruising gear after the first 1/4 of a mile and he can maintain that speed until all the other horses fall down from exhaustion. Not the greatest Triple Crown winner, but solid as hell. I put him in with Affirmed as far as ability and running style. Oh and looks too. Justify had that big white face but the color of chestnut both he and Affirmed have/had were beautiful to see. These two guys would win the "most photogenic" contest, while Big Red would win the best physique competition.

HogFanInBryant

I think you misread...I said he had no excuse, he had the perfect trip behind a pretty quick pace all things considered.

Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter

• President and life time member of the Hobby Shop.
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • SPORTS HAS NEVER BEEN SO UGLY!
    • facebook.com/uglyuncle.

Same thing back in the 1970s. 25 years between Citation (1948) and Secretariat (1973), people wondered if there would be another one until Big Red. Then Seattle Slew and Affirmed within the next five years. I wouldn't be surprised if there are another one or two before 2025. And then there may be a dry spell for a long time. It's cyclical with feasts and famines.

But the best part is that both American Pharoah and Justify earned their titles. I don't think anybody will go around saying that they backed their way into their wins via easy setups.

And let's not forget that before the Kentucky Derby, people were calling this one of the deeper 3-year-old crops to come around in recent years. Justify wasn't beating a bunch of dogs.

No one may be able to answer this...but maybe you can...

Where would you rate Justify in the triple crown winners?  Is he a super horse?  Is he another Afirmed?  What are your thoughts?

HogFanInBryant

Where would you rate Justify in the triple crown winners?  Is he a super horse?  Is he another Afirmed?  What are your thoughts?

He is a super horse since he was not raced at 2 plus never been beaten.  He is a super horse since nobody had ever seen him on the racetrack 6 months ago, or knew a thing about him.  But...his times in the Kentucky Derby and Belmont are very average so hard for me to put him as an equal to American Pharoah...but he is still worthy of his Triple Crown Championship for sure!  This was a very talented group of 3 year olds he beat.  Just my opinion of course on all of this.

cbhawg03

Mad?  Quite the opposite...I lost and was saying he had no excuse.  He did however belong in the race.  He ran 3rd and he's bred to go long.  Plus Bill Mott doesn't run horses if they don't have a chance in big races.  Never has, never will.  I love that Justify won the TC...just hate that Satan has partial ownership is all.
My ability to read failed.  I was thinking you meant he had no reason to be in the race.

cbhawg03

Unraced at 2.
Undefeated.
Triple Crown winner
Faced more horses than any other triple crown winner. 

Time of races be the only negative?

Arctic Hog

Take him to the Breeders' Cup and see if he can match American Pharaoh's accomplishment.  Win there and there's no denying his status.

ghostzapper

Amazing weekend.

Had backside and paddock pass and would upload pics if this site would let me.  Went to test barn after race and walked with him back to Baffertís barn.  You would have never known he ran a mile and a half.

Highlights of weekend:  Me, Randy and my date went to Umbertoís after races for dinner.  Justify crew celebrating there.  Baffert sits down and talks with us for about 30 minutes.  Randy points out the Baffert has won 7 consecutive graded stakes races on Belmont day.  Baffert incredibly humble and grateful.  Seemed particularly pleased that Abel Tasmen bounced back. 

Highlight number two (and I realize many will disagree):  Bret B in paddock before the Belmont.  Iím not sure who he is there with, but he just looked alone.  Went up and introduced myself and told him thanks for his work with program.  Incredibly nice. 

Beyer figure on the low side but so were APís.  Where he fits with the all time greats has yet to be determined.  But, he gave me and 90,000 roaring New Yorkers a thrill.

cram224

Still undefeated, lightly raced, will get some time off to get ready for Breeders Cup. Will be curious to see if owners race him as a 4 year old. Very few horses retire undefeated but a Triple Crown winner with back to back Breeders Cup Classic wins that would be legendary.

OaklawnCapper

Amazing weekend.

Had backside and paddock pass and would upload pics if this site would let me.  Went to test barn after race and walked with him back to Baffertís barn.  You would have never known he ran a mile and a half.

Highlights of weekend:  Me, Randy and my date went to Umbertoís after races for dinner.  Justify crew celebrating there.  Baffert sits down and talks with us for about 30 minutes.  Randy points out the Baffert has won 7 consecutive graded stakes races on Belmont day.  Baffert incredibly humble and grateful.  Seemed particularly pleased that Abel Tasmen bounced back. 

Highlight number two (and I realize many will disagree):  Bret B in paddock before the Belmont.  Iím not sure who he is there with, but he just looked alone.  Went up and introduced myself and told him thanks for his work with program.  Incredibly nice. 

Beyer figure on the low side but so were APís.  Where he fits with the all time greats has yet to be determined.  But, he gave me and 90,000 roaring New Yorkers a thrill.

Sounds like an amazing weekend!

HogFanInBryant

I still can't believe Justify pulled this off in less than 6 months...unraced at 2.  God really has blessed Bob, and I hope he appreciates it as much as Mike does.

HogFanInBryant

If Louisiana Downs could find a way to get Justify to run in the Super Derby on Sept 2nd and pull it from the turf to dirt.  Don't even talk to me that Harrah's couldn't come up with the money to pump the purse to $2.5million if need be!
I know it is a pipe dream, but it used to be a very big time race!

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/louisiana-downs-2018-thoroughbred-stakes-schedule-led-by-grade-3-super-derby/

Porked Tongue

Starting to hear some gossip on some blocking being done by the other Baffert entry.

I do think some "strategy" was in play for the bigger picture.

HogFanInBryant

Starting to hear some gossip on some blocking being done by the other Baffert entry.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sidelines-with-john-clay/article212919059.html

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian

its called horse racing for a reason...same as scraping paint during a NASCAR event and drivers who work for the same sponsor helping one another out...in other words, sometimes life sux and you deal with it....and that's if this allegation is true

kingoftherapids

its called horse racing for a reason...same as scraping paint during a NASCAR event and drivers who work for the same sponsor helping one another out...in other words, sometimes life sux and you deal with it....and that's if this allegation is true

exactly. how often do you see a nag 1A or 1 that shouldnt even be in the race but he or she is in to help out the stable mate.

cram224

Just seen were breeding rights sold for $75 million.

cbhawg03

If you search for it, there is a direct quote out there from saying that Reatoring Hope would go to the lead so Justify could sit off and have a target.  Now that doesnít explain lain him being so wide but come on.  People enter a rabbit in a turf race and nobody cares now all of a sudden itís a big deal? 

Mike Repole wanted one horse on the lead to push justify and help Vino and Javier didnít go to the lead.  Repole was mad and Javier is saying horse didnít have the speed to go.  Other than being wide then going down on the rail, Repole wanted to do exactly what Restoring Hope did. 

Sour grapes

husker71

used to see lots of "rabbits" in big races

userpick

Baffert told the owners the week before the Kentucky derby this horse is more talented than Pharoah. Heís certainly a lot easier to cheer for without that criminal Zayat owning him.

Also, Bolt DíOro ran DFL in met mile  in what has to be the biggest underlay of all time(5-1 odds)

HawgWild

exactly. how often do you see a nag 1A or 1 that shouldnt even be in the race but he or she is in to help out the stable mate.

Anyone here remember the Glenn Hild trained coupling of Dragset & Cisk that used to run at Oaklawn?

ghostzapper

Baffert told the owners the week before the Kentucky derby this horse is more talented than Pharoah. Heís certainly a lot easier to cheer for without that criminal Zayat owning him.

Also, Bolt DíOro ran DFL in met mile  in what has to be the biggest underlay of all time(5-1 odds)

Couldn't agree more on both points.  He could have run the Woody Stephens and won at 1/5. 

Porked Tongue

Make no mistake, I'm not agreeing with what probably went on but there is more $$$ incentive than ever to toe the line of respectability.

ghostzapper

Anyone here remember the Glenn Hild trained coupling of Dragset & Cisk that used to run at Oaklawn?

Do Ďt remember the horses specifically, but willing to bet they were Arkansas breds.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

Iím glad Justify won but there was only one super horse. Think about this........Justify would have been TWENTY FIVE lengths behind Secretariat.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian

Dust On The Bottle was their best horse if memory serves. Glenn and Sharon Hild, husband wife were both trainers and owners. And yes most of their stable was Arky bred nags. Hild was the king of running one for 35cl (and get crushed) 25cl (and get crushed), drop to 5,000cl and win by a half length and pay 14 bucks....I've seen that many a time in the early 80's at Oaklawn...oh and by the way, no one claimed off the Hilds because they ran broken down stock

HogFanInBryant

Dust On The Bottle was their best horse if memory serves. Glenn and Sharon Hild, husband wife were both trainers and owners. And yes most of their stable was Arky bred nags. Hild was the king of running one for 35cl (and get crushed) 25cl (and get crushed), drop to 5,000cl and win by a half length and pay 14 bucks....I've seen that many a time in the early 80's at Oaklawn...oh and by the way, no one claimed off the Hilds because they ran broken down stock

I bet a GH horse one time in a mile race at Oaklawn.  It had run in a 6 furlong race exactly a week before and had been pulled up after showing speed.  ML was like 15-1 and when I bet my $20 to WP I remember it being right around the ML 15-1.  The good news is it went wire to wire and won.  But...the bad news is it clicked way down right before post and I was shocked at my $9 and change win payout and I believe $5 and change place payout.  I always wondered why his horses always clicked all over the place in the odds like this?  And yes, it was a lower level claiming race but not sure of the tag...probably $10k or lower.

heavylifting

• Senior

Dust On The Bottle was their best horse if memory serves.

Dust On The Bottle possibly, although I probably would have said Silver Survivor. He got his name because he was a gray that Glenn had purchased at a yearling sale in Florida, I think it was. He arranged to have the colt shipped to him in Arkansas, but somebody messed up and the colt stayed in his stall at the sales company venue for several weeks before anybody inquired of his whereabouts. He basically lived off the bedding in his stall and the water that some passerby gave him. I don't have his race record handy, but I believe he was a multiple graded stakes winner who was active for several years. Probably didn't win a Grade 1, but most likely pulled down several Grade 2s and Grade 3s.

Sadly, Glenn exited the business when he was cited for cruelty to animals. Many on his farm were malnourished. I would guess this was sometime in the early 2000s. Dust On The Bottle won the Hawthorne Gold Cup in 2000. The end came soon after for the Hild operation.

Does anyone know if Glenn is still alive?

Their colors were blue with an orange question mark.

HawgWild

Didn't mean to hijack the discussion. I was responding to the 1, 1A coupling comment. Hild often ran this pair in high allowance and low stakes races. Cisk won the 1979 Southwest Stakes. One ran all out on the lead and the other came from out of the clouds.

I thought Husker might chime in since he's was around back then.

ghostzapper

I remember Buna Lite.  Won me a pick 6. 

ghostzapper

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas