• 393,950 Topics
• 22,234 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it time for arkansas to get a mobile qb?  (Read 2255 times)

Sweet Feet

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Is it time for arkansas to get a mobile qb?
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:57:30 am »

Arkansas hasn't had a mobile qb since Jones and the hatfield era. With the trend of mobile qbs today, is it time for the Hogs to get a true dual threat qb?

immahog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • being GREAT
Re: Is it time for arkansas to get a mobile qb?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:24:16 pm »

beyond time

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Rudy Baylor

• Hogvillian
  • Oh! We're afraid of STP girls Bluto!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 12:51:54 pm »

No

War Boar

• Varsity
  • "We have met the enemy and they are ours..."
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 01:00:22 pm »

A scrambling quarterback can open up a lot of options.  I would love to have a QB that is effective at both passing and scrambling, but it often seems you wind up sacrificing one or the other.  I want a QB that can pass first.  If he also happens to be mobile, great.  It can take away a lot of options if you struggle in the passing game.  I know the two aren't mutually exclusive, but my priority would be on the passing aspect.  I would rather have a balanced offense that can win a game with the run or the pass and makes the defense prepare for both. So as long as it isn't a running back shoe horned into the quarterback position I'm all for it.  Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Hawgphat

• Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 01:41:24 pm »

I don't think that anyone would be fundamentally opposed to the prospect of a superbly-gifted "mobile" QB, - - rather like no one is likely to be opposed to the attainment of an incredibly sure-handed 6"8", 250 lb. WR who runs a 4.3 40.  The applicable, pertinent questions, - obviously - are (1) "WHERE IS HE" - - - and (2) "DO WE HAVE A SHOT AT GETTING HIM"?  Therein lies the rub.

sickboy

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 01:45:28 pm »

You guys are familiar with Chad Morris right? The QB is going to have to use his feet in this offense.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 07:22:49 pm »

For us to take it to the next level in this offense it will need to be a Dual Threat QB.

Hawgphat

• Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 08:29:14 pm »

By "dual threat QB", - - I take it that you are not referring to a QB who issues the ultimatum "Make me the starting QB - - or else I'll go somewhere else".

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 09:53:09 pm »

We could’ve had one, but he preferred Sexual Assault U.

ADavisTheGOAT

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 09:54:45 pm »

We are about to have 3 on campus.

TeufelHog

• Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 10:07:27 pm »

Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma seem to think so.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 10:56:26 pm »

You guys are familiar with Chad Morris right? The QB is going to have to use his feet in this offense.

Kirk Cousins is barely a sub 5.0 forty player and has effectively run the read option against NFL defenses.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 10:59:10 pm »

A scrambling quarterback can open up a lot of options.  I would love to have a QB that is effective at both passing and scrambling, but it often seems you wind up sacrificing one or the other.  I want a QB that can pass first.  If he also happens to be mobile, great.  It can take away a lot of options if you struggle in the passing game.  I know the two aren't mutually exclusive, but my priority would be on the passing aspect.  I would rather have a balanced offense that can win a game with the run or the pass and makes the defense prepare for both. So as long as it isn't a running back shoe horned into the quarterback position I'm all for it.  Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Nailed it.

DeShaun Watson is a great case study in this. Clemson became a much better team when he stopped running the ball as much and focused more on improving his passing game. As dangerous as a running threat from the qb position is, a surgical passer will always be more dangerous.

31to6

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 11:09:22 pm »

Arkansas hasn't had a mobile qb since Jones and the hatfield era. With the trend of mobile qbs today, is it time for the Hogs to get a true dual threat qb?
Mobile QB's that are terrible at the passing game are dime-a-dozen, but high quality dual-threat QBs who can pass and throw are actually pretty hard to find.

I think any team would take a mobile QB as long as they don't give up anything (or too much) in the passing game.

You can create a running game without a mobile QB, but if your mobile QB can't pass then you are completely screwed if the opponent is winning the LOS or loads the box and dares you to throw.

QBs who can pass but are "semi-mobile" are easier to find and so you tend to see most coaches taking "pro style" QBs even if they are less mobile because they know they can build an effective offense around them.

So, sure, if we can attract a guy who can run and throw, of course we would want him.

Pork Twain

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Mike Anderson aka Houston Nutt 2.0
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 12:51:05 am »

How are people not seeing this?  Also, there are different kinds of mobile qbs and varying levels of success with each kind.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 05:16:41 am »

Mobile QB's that are terrible at the passing game are dime-a-dozen, but high quality dual-threat QBs who can pass and throw are actually pretty hard to find.

I think any team would take a mobile QB as long as they don't give up anything (or too much) in the passing game.

You can create a running game without a mobile QB, but if your mobile QB can't pass then you are completely screwed if the opponent is winning the LOS or loads the box and dares you to throw.

QBs who can pass but are "semi-mobile" are easier to find and so you tend to see most coaches taking "pro style" QBs even if they are less mobile because they know they can build an effective offense around them.

So, sure, if we can attract a guy who can run and throw, of course we would want him.

I agree. Priority #1 will be someone who can accurately execute the passing game and #2 will be the run ability. Now if they can find a QB who is equally good at both, then great. But if not, they are going to go with the better passing QB first. But I will admit that it would be great if we could find a QB that can execute the dive, the pitch, the pass and the occasional designed or opportunistic run. And that guy doesn't have to have outstanding speed but he does need to have excellent footwork and quickness.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Varsity
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 05:35:15 am »

Hopefully we are about to have one. Razorbacks #1 QB target in this class is KJ Jefferson, and he fits CCM offense perfectly. Kid had 3000 yds,36tds, and 3 ints passing. And 1325yds rushing with 8tds his junior year.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kenneth-Jefferson-90380

zeke_in_kc

• Senior
  • Called it right from "jump."
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 11:39:16 am »

I'm perfectly happy to have a mobile QB but passing accuracy is priority.  If our QB is an accurate passer he can get away with being a "one step" guy if he has pocket awareness (i.e., "one step" to avoid pressure).

Brady?  Romo?  Rodgers?

None of those guys are/were particularly fast...

lakecityhog

• Senior
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 12:33:47 pm »

If Morris' offense requires a "dual-threat" QB, why does he recruit so many "pro-style" QB's? You would think that the HC would recruit players that fit his scheme,right?????

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 01:01:25 pm »

I want a qb that can move the chains and avoid the rush. I could not care less if he can or can't break off a 80 yard run on a busted play or one that runs the read option 25 times a game and is really just another Rb that also throws sometimes.

ballz2thewall

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 01:24:10 pm »

yes

RyanMallettsEgo

• See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 01:30:38 pm »

It's time for Arkansas to get a QB that executes and understands the offense and schemes of Chad Morris and Joe Craddock.

Maybe that's someone already on campus. Maybe it isn't. Time will tell.

I don't care if they have the speed of Michael Vick or Tom Brady. If they can run the offense well, so be it.

b501

• Senior
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 01:36:35 pm »

Not if we want to beat bama

#hammerdown

• Varsity
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 01:43:18 pm »

I don't disagree but neither am I sure Matt Jones would have passed this test in his first year.  Now by the time he was a junior or senior his passing ability had greatly improved.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 04:10:36 pm »

Past time! Many shy away from mobile Qb's because they have a tendency not to be as accurate as a pocket passer (Not necessarily my views). However, as big as WR's and TE have gotten nowdays that can make up for some inaccurate throws. The catch radius of some of these guys is incredible. Besides, after watching the Spring game this offense is made to take advantage of a dual QB's skill set. It will work with a pocket passer but to really put pressure on the defense you need a mobile QB.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

• 5x National Champions 1909, '64, '65, '77, 2010*
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 04:20:20 pm »

We got one. Hyatt.

Hogindasticks

• Senior
  • Can't wait to get Cookin!
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 04:28:48 pm »

We got one. Hyatt.

If Hyatt gets hit while he's running they're going to break that kid in half

Hogindasticks

• Senior
  • Can't wait to get Cookin!
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 04:31:16 pm »

Mobile has to be durable.

HogPharmer

• KCCO
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 04:32:05 pm »

If Hyatt gets hit while he's running they're going to break that kid in half

Pretty sure that's what was said about Shane Falco too.... He turned out alright

Lao Tsuie

• Varsity
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 04:34:26 pm »

The true duel threat qb. gives you essentially 12 players on the field instead of 11.
They are the most sought after football player after d. tackle, imo, because of what they can do for your offense. But, a good one is even more rare because they have to have - speed, elusivness,
a gun arm that can run and shoot, great vision, and a football mind.
A Johnny if you will that is straight with a burning desire to win, a leader.
If you can find that rare bird you can beat an Alabama, the week after they play LSU.

steveaustin69

• Senior
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 04:36:01 pm »

The true duel threat qb. gives you essentially 12 players on the field instead of 11.
They are the most sought after football player after d. tackle, imo, because of what they can do
for your offense. But, a good one is even more rare because they have to have - speed, elusivness,
a gun arm that can run and shoot, great vision, and a football mind.
A Johnny if you will that is straight with a burning desire to win, a leader.
If you can find that rare bird you can beat an Alabama, the week after they play LSU.

Is this supposed to be a poem?

Lao Tsuie

• Varsity
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 04:37:20 pm »

If not it should be!

HogPharmer

• KCCO
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 04:38:15 pm »

Is this supposed to be a poem?

I was thinking a haiku

Lao Tsuie

• Varsity
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 04:56:29 pm »

I was thinking a haiku

Yes, If you hike it we will haiku you haha

War Boar

• Varsity
  • "We have met the enemy and they are ours..."
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2018, 05:56:58 pm »

I don't disagree but neither am I sure Matt Jones would have passed this test in his first year.  Now by the time he was a junior or senior his passing ability had greatly improved.

Matt Jones was a freak. Any chance you have to get someone with that kind of athletic ability, you want them on your team. But that doesn't change my opinion. If I'm given  a choice between two quarterbacks, one that can pass but not run or one that can run but not pass, I'm choosing the passer. Life is never that easy though. Would I take a Lamar Jackson 2.0? Someone that is elite at scrambling and still pretty good throwing the ball?  Absolutely. But hindsight isn't 20/20. It isn't that easy to find someone like that. We play some pretty good defenses that can shut you down if the passing game doesn't scare them. So I guess I would say I'm looking for a certain threshold to be met in the passing game. After that, everything else is gravy. Again, that is just my opinion, which isn't worth much. I just want the Hogs to win. If we ran the triple option and never threw a pass but won games, I'll be happy.

Tarheelhawg

• Varsity
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2018, 07:50:26 pm »

The RPO of our current offense will be so much more effective with a dual threat quarterback.  I am just trying to imagine Matt Jones in this offense.  Yes, definitely time for a dual threat.

Pork Twain

• Gold Hogvillian
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2018, 10:42:51 pm »

I do not understand the infatuation with dual-threat qbs.  It's like people chose to ignore the much more successful pocket passers that can move around, just for the sake of wanting someone labeled as dual-threat

arlhog

• Varsity
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2018, 10:44:58 pm »

Look at who's been really successful and you have to say yes.    This isn't the pro's.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2018, 11:27:46 pm »

You can take a guy that's a great runner but so so passer and through coaching and experience develop him into a good to great passer. 

You can't however take a guy that's a good to great passer but with limited mobility and develop him into a decent runner.

Morris seems flexible enough or smart enough to take whatever QB gives you the best chance to win and then modify the offense to play to that QBs strengths.

CFB_Fanatic

• Senior
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2018, 12:14:43 am »

I do not understand the infatuation with dual-threat qbs.  It's like people chose to ignore the much more successful pocket passers that can move around, just for the sake of wanting someone labeled as dual-threat

The infatuation comes from watching your team get ripped apart by a dual threat/running QBs over....and over....and over....and over......and.....you get the point.

It would be nice to do that to somebody else for a change

Pork Twain

• Gold Hogvillian
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 04:24:42 am »

The infatuation comes from watching your team get ripped apart by a dual threat/running QBs over....and over....and over....and over......and.....you get the point.

It would be nice to do that to somebody else for a change
Maybe that had something to do with our defense...

CFB_Fanatic

• Senior
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 05:15:44 am »

Maybe that had something to do with our defense...

It does. And every defense. Defenses in general, ours included, have a very difficult time stopping dual threat QBs.

Hence why many fans want one, for a change

ballinhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 05:34:37 am »

Hopefully we are about to have one. Razorbacks #1 QB target in this class is KJ Jefferson, and he fits CCM offense perfectly. Kid had 3000 yds,36tds, and 3 ints passing. And 1325yds rushing with 8tds his junior year.

I really wish we could get his commitment here pretty soon. We need something to get this class jump started

RyanMallettsEgo

• See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 08:22:32 am »

B-b-b-b-b-but he's only a 3*!!!!!!

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2018, 08:57:45 am »

Hogs have a Qb on the roster that had 4100 yards passing, 700+ rushing. threw for 53 tds and only 7 ints as a sr in HS.

CFB_Fanatic

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2018, 12:19:54 am »

B-b-b-b-b-but he's only a 3*!!!!!!

If hes a 3 star then he'll fit right in

Peter Porker

• Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2018, 06:20:30 am »

Brandon Allen was mobile. Ever see him scramble?

31to6

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2018, 10:03:45 am »

Brandon Allen was mobile. Ever see him scramble?
If the Allen boys weren’t mobile they’d be brain-dead.

gawntrail

• Senior
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2018, 11:51:35 am »

Executing any option offense requires above average athleticism and top notch anticipation.  Both can be found and taught.  I’d bet money that we will have great success with a QB that can make the right read, and deliver the short and intermediate ball.  The death of a strong Cover 2 shell defense is 8 to 18 yard completions with YAC.  Sure-handed wideouts/slots running in and through LB zones. Do not have to be speedsters, just above average wheels to rip off big gains at the expense of LBs and SS types. 

Mike Irwin

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2018, 11:52:50 am »

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/apr/12/qb-target-jefferson-recaps-two-day-arkansas-visit/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas