• 396,168 Topics
• 22,374 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are transfers quitters? Tubby Smith finally weighs in  (Read 3244 times)

jbcarol

Are transfers quitters? Tubby Smith finally weighs in
« on: April 15, 2018, 10:47:47 am »

Each year hundreds of players transfer.

NCAA is not fighting this trend. Instead, the NCAA is considering liberalizing the rules to make it easier for a player to transfer.

Tubby Smith, who coached Kentuckyís 1998 national championship team, made headlines this year when he equated transferring to a mortal athletic sin: quitting.

ďWeíre teaching them how to quit,Ē he said of rules changes that make it easier for players to transfer. ďThatís what weíre doing. Things not going well. Letís quit.Ē

Smith was responding to a question about how many players he thought would transfer from his then Memphis team. ...

ďSomebody needs to tell them, ĎYou made a commitment. Stick to it,íĒ he said. ďBut it doesnít happen like that. They have a lot of people in their ear. Thatís the way life is.Ē

Transfers are nothing new. While bemoaning the frequency of transferring, Smith acknowledged that he considered transferring after his freshman year at High Point. His father objected and said the military might be the only alternative. Smith remained at High Point.

Saul Smith, Tubby Smithís middle son and a guard on UKís 1998 championship team, said he too considered transferring after the 1998 national championship..

ďI got double-digit minutes per game, and I wanted to leave,Ē he said. ďThereís a lot of scrutiny thatís coming. Thereís a lot of pressure. Do I really want to deal with that?Ē

Saul Smith said his presence caused at least two high-profile point guard recruits to turn down UK. This would only intensify the scrutiny and pressure.

ďI felt like this is not going to be very fun,Ē Saul Smith said.

ďIf it goes the way theyíre talking about it going, everybody might have a one-and-done type mentality,Ē Scott Padgett said. ďTheyíre not necessarily going one-and-done to the NBA, but maybe theyíre going one-and-done (to another school). So youíre going to have to stay on top of your recruiting game. And youíve got to develop kids more. And youíve got to create that bond and relationship (with players) where it keeps you on your toes even more.Ē

sickboy

Re: Are transfers quitters? Tubby Smith finally weighs in
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 12:26:59 pm »

It's like the government. Everyone hates the government until they benefit from the government. Admittedly, I read this story a long time ago and didn't refresh by reading the post here, but I'm guessing Tubby's not slinging the vitriol when he's bringing transfers in to his own team. Does he consider the transfers he brings in quitters?

I'm sure some kids are looking for the path of least resistance, but the transfer system isn't breading that... the one and done NBA rule is. A lot of highly touted kids feel like they have to be a one and done to be a success. If they're not after their freshman year, they freak and transfer. That's not the transfer system's fault.

And obviously, we can talk ad nauseam about coaches not being held to the same standard. Did Tubby have to sit out a year after breaking out of his contract at Tulsa to go coach at Georgia, a program he thought was bigger and better for him? No. Did he have to sit out a year after breaking out of his contract at Georgia to go to Kentucky? Again. No. Is Tubby Smith a quitter on Tulsa or Georgia?

How about, people should just be allowed to do what they think is in their own best interest with regard to where they coach or play basketball? C'mon Tubby. Good luck at High Point.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:42:50 pm by sickboy »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 12:52:14 pm »

New coaches also run players off. Isnít that quitting as well?

How many people have the same job as their first? Is that being a quitter?

Swinesong1

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 01:33:00 pm »

I think itís hilarious and reeks of hypocrisy that a coach whoís jumped ship multiple times has the nerve to say this.

raz1965

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 01:51:13 pm »

It's aggravating when a person with potential quits, however all quitters are not losers, so gripes are understandable but freedom is most important for a sound mind.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 02:24:32 pm »

New coaches also run players off. Isnít that quitting as well?

How many people have the same job as their first? Is that being a quitter?

Tubby has quit as well. He quit Tulsa, Georgia and Texas Tech. He has no room to talk.

raz1965

• Varsity
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 02:37:14 pm »

Agree on tubby, sour grapes  out of touch with this generation of kids, but if he could deal with talent would be a great coach, as he once was.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:42 am »

I think itís hilarious and reeks of hypocrisy that a coach whoís jumped ship multiple times has the nerve to say this.

Is it different when you have a family to provide for? I mean he went to better schools every time possibly which probably means making more money... These high schools kids dont get what they want, they leave... its a soft world we live in... none of these kids want to fight for anything... they want it handed to them.

Swinesong1

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 11:10:52 am »

Is it different when you have a family to provide for? I mean he went to better schools every time possibly which probably means making more money... These high schools kids dont get what they want, they leave... its a soft world we live in... none of these kids want to fight for anything... they want it handed to them.
So maybe the kids see it as bettering themselves too.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 11:17:04 am »

So maybe the kids see it as bettering themselves too.
sure it could be.

sickboy

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 11:48:46 am »

It shouldn't matter if you're a coach or a player. Tubby Smith got married and had kids. Big deal. Those were his choices in life. Not anyone else's problem. Just because you get married and have kids doesn't mean you should be entitled to your own hypocrisy. He's essentially crapping on kids for doing the same thing he does. Lead by example.

Coach K could have left Duke a million times in the 80's for money and a more prestigious program, but he didn't. He stuck around and built probably the strongest basketball program in the game. While Coach K has been winning, Tubby's over here jumping around from job to job complaining about the job.

EDIT: I will give Tubby my sympathy for how he was let go at Memphis. He got the shaft there, just because Hardaway had some prospects in his pocket.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:17:49 pm by sickboy »

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 12:29:10 pm »

Tubby has quit as well. He quit Tulsa, Georgia and Texas Tech. He has no room to talk.
You forgot Mn. he coached there too.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 01:01:29 pm »

You forgot Mn. he coached there too.

I couldnít remember if he quit there or got fired. Thatís why I didnít list Kentucky either.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 01:10:34 pm »

It shouldn't matter if you're a coach or a player. Tubby Smith got married and had kids. Big deal. Those were his choices in life. Not anyone else's problem. Just because you get married and have kids doesn't mean you should be entitled to your own hypocrisy. He's essentially crapping on kids for doing the same thing he does. Lead by example.

Coach K could have left Duke a million times in the 80's for money and a more prestigious program, but he didn't. He stuck around and built probably the strongest basketball program in the game. While Coach K has been winning, Tubby's over here jumping around from job to job complaining about the job.

EDIT: I will give Tubby my sympathy for how he was let go at Memphis. He got the shaft there, just because Hardaway had some prospects in his pocket.

He got the shaft because he didnít do what it takes at Memphis. He didnít get out into the community. He didnít enamor himself to any locals especially high school coaches. He wasnít getting those same local  recruits that Penny is suppose to get. He didnít hobnob with the alumni, the University, the fans, etc. that cost him a lot of support and thus attendance dropped to the point where it was very detrimental to them financially. The decision to fire him was because of the financial picture brought on by his inability or unwillingness to keep the money people, local recruits and average fans happy enough to keep investing in the program and not simply only by Pennys supposed ability to recruit. In other words Penny is considered ďfamilyĒ there that can get back to what it had been both success wise and financially much like Mike was considered in Arkansas when he was hired. It was a $ decision not a coaching one.

sickboy

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 01:51:07 pm »

He got the shaft because he didnít do what it takes at Memphis. He didnít get out into the community. He didnít enamor himself to any locals especially high school coaches. He wasnít getting those same local  recruits that Penny is suppose to get. He didnít hobnob with the alumni, the University, the fans, etc. that cost him a lot of support and thus attendance dropped to the point where it was very detrimental to them financially. The decision to fire him was because of the financial picture brought on by his inability or unwillingness to keep the money people, local recruits and average fans happy enough to keep investing in the program and not simply only by Pennys supposed ability to recruit. In other words Penny is considered ďfamilyĒ there that can get back to what it had been both success wise and financially much like Mike was considered in Arkansas when he was hired. It was a $ decision not a coaching one.

I get that. But they gave Tubby two seasons. And he managed 19 and then 21 wins, which was the most they'd won in like five years. I get the not liking him part and that Tubby made it hard on himself and I certainly understand the financials, but two years is nothing. And now they're hoping that a guy who's never coached college basketball is going to take them back to the Calipari days and right their financial woes? I don't know. Sounds crazy. But crazier things have worked before.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 02:14:26 pm »

One of the reasons they fired Josh Pastner because of the loss of money coming in on their Fed Ex arena contract due to declining attendance. So they hire a coach and don't do their due diligence when setting forth his responsibilities with boosters and alumni. Hmmmm. Oh and they sent said coach away with a $10.5m parting gift.....essentially paying him $15 million plus for 2 years. Tubby was probably fired for not being able to retain the Lawson brothers after his first season. That didn't sit well with anyone in Memphis. Hard to tell what their beef would have been, they both had good seasons under him.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:06:07 pm by k.c.hawg »

Bobby Bobo

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 02:29:09 pm »

some people never play at all

k.c.hawg

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 03:09:40 pm »

Speaking of the Lawson brothers apparently their dad made a crazy statement this morning on one of his many whacked out radio appearances. He said he would not rule out the possibility of them Transferring Back To Memphis!!! Said if the kitchen starts getting hot at Kansas over the FBI thing that they might entertain transferring back. I would assume since they have been on scholarship at Kansas they would have to sit out again but who knows. I wouldn't know how to even look up that possibility on the NCAA website!!

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 04:28:18 pm »

if they just flat out transfer, yes, sit another year, and lose a year.

now, if someone in the family comes down with some illness, then they could come back and play right away

Swinesong1

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 04:33:31 pm »

now, if someone in the family comes down with some illness, then they could come back and play right away
The "health issue immediate eligibility" transfer has been shot down by the NCAA

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 06:16:48 pm »

Only if Kansas gets SMU'd ???

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 06:19:34 pm »

Speaking of the Lawson brothers apparently their dad made a crazy statement this morning on one of his many whacked out radio appearances. He said he would not rule out the possibility of them Transferring Back To Memphis!!! Said if the kitchen starts getting hot at Kansas over the FBI thing that they might entertain transferring back. I would assume since they have been on scholarship at Kansas they would have to sit out again but who knows. I wouldn't know how to even look up that possibility on the NCAA website!!

He is a whacko. Not as much as a Lakers players dad but whacko never the less.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 06:22:04 pm »

One of the reasons they fired Josh Pastner because of the loss of money coming in on their Fed Ex arena contract due to declining attendance. So they hire a coach and don't do their due diligence when setting forth his responsibilities with boosters and alumni. Hmmmm. Oh and they sent said coach away with a $10.5m parting gift.....essentially paying him $15 million plus for 2 years. Tubby was probably fired for not being able to retain the Lawson brothers after his first season. That didn't sit well with anyone in Memphis. Hard to tell what their beef would have been, they both had good seasons under him.

Yes the attendance drop started under Pastner but Tubby did absolutely nothing to fix it and did some things that made it worse. Penny now has gotten a top 30 recruiting class and still has one spot to fill. Thatís one way to start to fix the attendance issue.

HawgsPolo

• Varsity
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 07:05:12 pm »

I think the kids should be able to transfer if they choose to do so. Coaches and situations change all too often.

rude1

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 09:16:06 pm »

I couldnít remember if he quit there or got fired. Thatís why I didnít list Kentucky either.

I think in both cases Tubby got out ahead of the mob, he actually didn't get fired from Ky. he left for Mn.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 09:18:09 pm »

Taking better employment situations is called climbing the ladder. Not even close to quitting.

rude1

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 09:21:23 pm »

Taking better employment situations is called climbing the ladder. Not even close to quitting.
  Players leave because they believe another situation is better for their basketball career, what is the difference? Each believes they are doing what's best for their career, only the coach isn't penalized for doing it, he is rewarded.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 08:49:06 am »

Players leave because they believe another situation is better for their basketball career, what is the difference? Each believes they are doing what's best for their career, only the coach isn't penalized for doing it, he is rewarded.

No they donít. Transferring from a P5 school to a lesser program is not a promotion of any kind. Itís a selfish decision made in attempts to get more playing time.

Players that transfer up in competition or to be closer to family are legit. The rest are selfish.

Most of the time they are talking with other schools in the midst of their own teamís seasons. That makes them cancerous to the team as a whole and selfish. If they had any honor they would leave the second they were no longer fully committed to helping their teammates who are committed to working towards the teamís goals.

steveaustin69

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 09:27:40 am »

No they donít. Transferring from a P5 school to a lesser program is not a promotion of any kind. Itís a selfish decision made in attempts to get more playing time.

Players that transfer up in competition or to be closer to family are legit. The rest are selfish.

Most of the time they are talking with other schools in the midst of their own teamís seasons. That makes them cancerous to the team as a whole and selfish. If they had any honor they would leave the second they were no longer fully committed to helping their teammates who are committed to working towards the teamís goals.

Well what is better for one's career? Being the 10th guy or being the 2nd guy?

This is an incredibly tone deaf and arrogant take.

jackflash

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 09:39:11 am »

My answer is no their not quitters. they just want to play. Maybe they can't get along with the Head coach

rude1

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 10:24:12 am »

Huh so a player is sitting and not getting to play and if he transfers down to actually play he is being selfish? Only if he transfers up is he not being selfish, even though he will play even less or at all?

zeke_in_kc

• Senior
  • Called it right from "jump."
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 11:03:26 am »

He made the tourney, won a game, and got fired at MN.  Frankly, he got shafted there, too (personal opinion).

rude1

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 11:45:05 am »

He made the tourney, won a game, and got fired at MN.  Frankly, he got shafted there, too (personal opinion).
If more than one program gets rid of you for something other than W-L record,  when does it stop being that you are getting screwed and start being it's something that the coach is doing or not doing that makes administrators unhappy with his job performance?

Now I kind of understand MA support,  some fans just tend to favor coaches, and always believe coach is right.

sickboy

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 06:27:43 pm »

Who are the players you know talking to other teams while being under scholarship at another school?

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2018, 08:50:32 pm »

Free country. If you aren't happy you should be able to leave. Sitting out a year is the penalty if you aren't happy you absolutely should be able to leave.

When I worked for other people I changed jobs everytime I had a chance to make more money or just a better opportunity. Free country.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2018, 08:58:47 pm »

Who are the players you know talking to other teams while being under scholarship at another school?

Darious Hall.

These kids are hooked up with all kinds of players and coaches through summer ball now. They talk constantly.

No Coach is dumb enough to leave a trail of crumbs by directly contacting kids at other schools but you would have to be naive if to believe they arenít communicating through players on their own rosters or summer ball coaches.

Do you really believe these players are waiting until the end of the season and then start thinking about transferring elsewhere?

ShadowHawg

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2018, 09:00:37 pm »

Huh so a player is sitting and not getting to play and if he transfers down to actually play he is being selfish? Only if he transfers up is he not being selfish, even though he will play even less or at all?

You are talking about divisions. I am not. Apples and oranges.

rude1

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2018, 09:26:39 pm »

You are talking about divisions. I am not. Apples and oranges.
Just curious, was Dusty Hannahs a quitter, is the Harris kid we are depending on to be the point guard a quitter? Should we stop being a landing place for kids wanting to leave their current school?

Pork Twain

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2018, 10:36:04 pm »

Is anyone a quitter just because they are trying to put themselves in a better position for success?  Technically yes, realistically no

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2018, 08:11:40 am »

You and I actually agree on this

steveaustin69

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 08:49:00 am »

Darious Hall.

These kids are hooked up with all kinds of players and coaches through summer ball now. They talk constantly.

No Coach is dumb enough to leave a trail of crumbs by directly contacting kids at other schools but you would have to be naive if to believe they arenít communicating through players on their own rosters or summer ball coaches.

Do you really believe these players are waiting until the end of the season and then start thinking about transferring elsewhere?

Have you never switched jobs?

sickboy

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 10:54:47 am »

Darious Hall.

Oh, so you're just assuming that one player, Darious Hall, was speaking to other schools while at Arkansas. To be clear, you don't actually know that Darious Hall was speaking to other schools during the season.

And what school or schools do you believe Hall was speaking to?

reddawg213

• Band Nerd
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 08:36:43 pm »

Just curious, was Dusty Hannahs a quitter, is the Harris kid we are depending on to be the point guard a quitter? Should we stop being a landing place for kids wanting to leave their current school?

Or the reverse of that, look at the situation fo RJ Glasper. He walked on to the school he loved and got hurt. By the time, he was well, it was obvious that he would spend most of his career riding the pine without a cent paid towards his education. So he leaves to get a free education, as well as getting the time on the floor that lead him to become the definitive main guy at Arkansas Tech.

He averaged 20pts a game, made 94% of his free throws and was the conference player of the year last year but likely would have gotten maybe 15 mins COMBINED for the whole season if he had stayed on the Hogs.

That's not being selfish or being a quitter. That's recognizing the situation for what it is and finding a better home.

Mick Hogger

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 10:34:23 pm »

If you let the kids start transferring on a whim, then they will have more leverage to use against the coach. The rules are fine the way they are. You want to move? Sit out.

logic

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2018, 11:38:36 am »

I think the kids should be able to transfer if they choose to do so. Coaches and situations change all too often.
They should have the same rights as anyone else, but they don't.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2018, 11:54:48 am »

If you let the kids start transferring on a whim, then they will have more leverage to use against the coach. The rules are fine the way they are. You want to move? Sit out.

Shouldn't that apply to coaches then too? Want to move to coach somewhere else, you have to sit out a year too.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2018, 12:21:25 pm »

Shouldn't that apply to coaches then too? Want to move to coach somewhere else, you have to sit out a year too.

Coaches are under contract and considered professionals in their field. Their punitive circumstance is their buyout. They canít just take any job they want on a whim.

Apples and oranges comparisons.

sickboy

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2018, 12:36:29 pm »

Coaches are under contract and considered professionals in their field. Their punitive circumstance is their buyout. They canít just take any job they want on a whim.

Apples and oranges comparisons.

Wait. Because someone's not a professional, they shouldn't seek better opportunities for themselves? This makes zero sense. You're giving coaches the benefit of the doubt simply because there is money involved. But you're ignoring the fact that money is involved with the players. They're not getting paid now, but they are trying to become professionals. Not all, but I'm sure the vast majority.

If anything, players should have more flexibility to move to whatever program they see fit for them, as they aren't employees. They're students, right? I left Arkansas to go to TCU after my sophomore year because TCU had an academic program that I wanted to be a part of. Nobody questions that decision. But we question the decision of a basketball players because they play a game?

ShadowHawg

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2018, 04:42:13 pm »

Wait. Because someone's not a professional, they shouldn't seek better opportunities for themselves? This makes zero sense. You're giving coaches the benefit of the doubt simply because there is money involved. But you're ignoring the fact that money is involved with the players. They're not getting paid now, but they are trying to become professionals. Not all, but I'm sure the vast majority.

If anything, players should have more flexibility to move to whatever program they see fit for them, as they aren't employees. They're students, right? I left Arkansas to go to TCU after my sophomore year because TCU had an academic program that I wanted to be a part of. Nobody questions that decision. But we question the decision of a basketball players because they play a game?

The majority will never play for money.

Why are you people equating being a quitter with limiting transfers? The vast majority are quitters.

sickboy

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2018, 11:13:22 am »

The majority will never play for money.

Why are you people equating being a quitter with limiting transfers? The vast majority are quitters.

I sincerely hope you're not truly this narrow minded in real life.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas