• 396,050 Topics
• 22,370 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arkansas quarterback question to linger until August  (Read 1178 times)

Scott Marshall

• Administrator
  • Senior
  • Living the DREAM
    • NWAhomepage.com
Arkansas quarterback question to linger until August
« on: April 13, 2018, 12:16:02 pm »

New Arkansas coach Chad Morris doesn't know yet who the starting quarterback will be when September's season opener comes around.

Whether Morris is holding off naming a starter until August as a motivational tactic, or because returners Cole Kelley and Ty Storey could possibly be pushed by an incoming freshman, is anyone's best guess.

However, it is clear that the current quarterbacks have a long way to go with running Morris' up-tempo offense - a stark contrast to the pro-style approach used by former coach Bret Bielema the last five seasons.

"They are all pushing each other at that position ... There is nobody set at a position," Morris said. "We're wide open. If it's a true freshman, it's a true freshman, whichever one gives us the best chance to win. They all understand that."

READ MORE: http://www.nwahomepage.com/pig-trail-nation/arkansas-quarterback-question-to-linger-until-august/1119355305

nwahogfan1

Re: Arkansas quarterback question to linger until August
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 09:03:00 pm »

New Arkansas coach Chad Morris doesn't know yet who the starting quarterback will be when September's season opener comes around.

Whether Morris is holding off naming a starter until August as a motivational tactic, or because returners Cole Kelley and Ty Storey could possibly be pushed by an incoming freshman, is anyone's best guess.

However, it is clear that the current quarterbacks have a long way to go with running Morris' up-tempo offense - a stark contrast to the pro-style approach used by former coach Bret Bielema the last five seasons.

"They are all pushing each other at that position ... There is nobody set at a position," Morris said. "We're wide open. If it's a true freshman, it's a true freshman, whichever one gives us the best chance to win. They all understand that."

READ MORE: http://www.nwahomepage.com/pig-trail-nation/arkansas-quarterback-question-to-linger-until-august/1119355305

I wonder with 2 scholarship QBs coming if we will lose a scholarship QB and maybe a walk on or 2  QBs before fall camp.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

bigpigpimpin

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 10:15:19 am »

The QB competition will likely last up until game day and through the season. I sure wasn't impressed with any of the..

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 01:16:43 pm »

They all got Work to do!

247Hog

• Senior
  • Regular Sized Rudy Calling the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 01:33:23 pm »

I normally don't like it when the the QB isn't named after Spring but im looking forward to seeing how these guys do this Summer including how Noland does.

jcharkansas

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 01:50:36 pm »

Out of the two, I thought Cole had the edge slightly over Ty.  Daulton seems like the best scrambler, I'm hoping the incoming freshman can make an impact and really push the upper classman.

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 03:04:42 pm »

The QB competition will likely last up until game day and through the season. I sure wasn't impressed with any of the..

Any of the what? I know we're all on the edge of our seats waiting for you to finish that thought.

Tejano Jawg

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • GO HOGS! BRING THE HEAT!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 03:43:37 pm »

This is a tough one, because that position is so important. I (optimistically) think we have several good quarterbacks on campus, and a couple good ones coming in. However, what I don't know—are any of them going to be exceptional?

With all the things Morris' offense has, little details might decide it. They have to do the 'routine' things—throw the bullet strike to the dude in traffic to pick up a first down. And hit the streaking wide-out in stride. We didn't exactly do routine well last year. Then, make some plays, some that shouldn't have been made—run for the extra yard, escape the rush to get a pass off, get lucky occasionally, find a way to get six when we get in the red zone.

Michael D Huff AIA

• Senior
  • Calling the Hogs since 1974.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 08:56:38 am »

This is a tough one, because that position is so important. I (optimistically) think we have several good quarterbacks on campus, and a couple good ones coming in. However, what I don't know—are any of them going to be exceptional?

With all the things Morris' offense has, little details might decide it. They have to do the 'routine' things—throw the bullet strike to the dude in traffic to pick up a first down. And hit the streaking wide-out in stride. We didn't exactly do routine well last year. Then, make some plays, some that shouldn't have been made—run for the extra yard, escape the rush to get a pass off, get lucky occasionally, find a way to get six when we get in the red zone.

I'd like us to be able to get two yards when we need it without having to rely on running it between the center and guard. 

nwahogfan1

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 08:59:39 am »

For this offense to work well we need a QB who makes good decisions under fire.  To run or to pass?   To pass long, intermediate or dump it?    We need s leader who will move the chains and keep the ball away from the other team.. He doesn't have to be superman but he needs to make super decisions.

Who will it be?

BearsBisonsBoars

• Senior
  • Arguing with computers for a living
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 10:18:24 am »

For this offense to work well we need a QB who makes good decisions under fire.  To run or to pass?   To pass long, intermediate or dump it?    We need s leader who will move the chains and keep the ball away from the other team.. He doesn't have to be superman but he needs to make super decisions.

Who will it be?

When you put it like that, my vote is for Cole. He just plays with some moxie that I have not seen from Ty yet.

But we haven't seen Ty under fire either, so who knows?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas