• 9,891,404 Posts
• 398,420 Topics
• 22,824 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Does McClure Fit In  (Read 2622 times)

KlubhouseKonnected

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
How Does McClure Fit In
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:05:37 am »

Or does he? I have read multiple places about what a good or great spring he had but I am still not sure how he fits in to the defense. It seems clear that Kam and Santos are the top two safeties. I have also read that they often use a safety as a Hybrid in the Nickle. Is that how he fits in or is it that it just good depth?

Or is it just a case of “spring ball, talk about the new guy”?

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
Re: How Does McClure Fit In
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 01:30:35 pm »

Or does he? I have read multiple places about what a good or great spring he had but I am still not sure how he fits in to the defense. It seems clear that Kam and Santos are the top two safeties. I have also read that they often use a safety as a Hybrid in the Nickle. Is that how he fits in or is it that it just good depth?

I think they like him situationally because he is a hybrid.  There may be some games he hardly sees the field and other games he plays a ton just depending on the style of offense we are going against. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 01:36:45 pm »

The guy is 6'2 222 pounds. Under Morris, that's defensive line size, not safety size.

McClure hasn't played safety at all this spring, nor is he listed as a safety. He has played linebacker and is listed at linebacker. He does still have wide receiver level speed though which showed in the spring game. Guy is fast as lightening and was all over the field making plays in the spring game. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up taking that third LB spot away from Munson.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 01:56:39 pm »

The guy is 6'2 222 pounds. Under Morris, that's defensive line size, not safety size.

McClure hasn't played safety at all this spring, nor is he listed as a safety. He has played linebacker and is listed at linebacker. He does still have wide receiver level speed though which showed in the spring game. Guy is fast as lightening and was all over the field making plays in the spring game. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up taking that third LB spot away from Munson.

I may have mixed that up and you are right about him being classified as a LB but I was pretty sure that I have read, and heard Trey on the radio, talk about him playing a hybrid spot in Nickle. Am I imagining that? Because I could be.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 01:57:24 pm »

Plus the guy was a professional athlete (baseball), so he knows what it takes.  I think it's interesting that he played one year under CBB, quit last year, and is now back. 

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 02:03:48 pm »

Plus the guy was a professional athlete (baseball), so he knows what it takes.  I think it's interesting that he played one year under CBB, quit last year, and is now back. 

Eh it may be interesting but I would argue it’s just as likely as uninteresting of a scenario as McClure thinking “I have spent the last four years playing professional baseball, I’m a 22 year old college freshmen and I have nothing to prove and don’t need to play to have 100% of my tuition paid. I don’t need this hassle I’d rather relax and just enjoy this.”

And then after a few months he is bored, missing competition and seeing an opportunity to try again with a new staff, he comes back.

I tend to think my scenario is more likely

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 02:31:24 pm »

Eh it may be interesting but I would argue it’s just as likely as uninteresting of a scenario as McClure thinking “I have spent the last four years playing professional baseball, I’m a 22 year old college freshmen and I have nothing to prove and don’t need to play to have 100% of my tuition paid. I don’t need this hassle I’d rather relax and just enjoy this.”

And then after a few months he is bored, missing competition and seeing an opportunity to try again with a new staff, he comes back.

What exactly was my scenario?  He played a year.  Took a year off.  Now is back on the team. 

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 02:43:12 pm »

I may have mixed that up and you are right about him being classified as a LB but I was pretty sure that I have read, and heard Trey on the radio, talk about him playing a hybrid spot in Nickle. Am I imagining that? Because I could be.

Yes and no. He is playing the LB spot that they often put hybrid players in. Take Munson for example, he is a fast LB but a slow safety and he doesn't have the body to add significantly more weight without sacrificing speed. So, he is in that hybrid role. McClure, otoh, is not only a fast LB, but is able to maintain that speed (and IMO looks to be even faster than he was) at actual LB size, almost 20 pounds heavier than Munson. So, he has the skill of that kind of tweener position without actually being a tweener himself.

A good comparison position wise would be Jerico Nelson. He lined up like a LB and was listed as a LB, but was playing that LB/S type of role in the scheme. Size wise, he was a bit inbetween Munson and McClure and did go on to play safety in the NFL after dropping some weight.

http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83844&draftyear=2012&genpos=SS

That link shows Nelson had Safety level athleticism and he dropped about 10 pounds from his playing weight in order to test at more of a safety weight which was 203, almost what Munson weighs currently.

While the spring game is just a single practice, it certainly looked like McClure was showing similar level of athleticism, but at 222 pounds. Based on well McClure looked playing in the spring game, but knowing he was behind Munson on the depth chart, I'm really sad we didn't get to see Munson play.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:08:08 pm »

Unless Chavis, Morris or Mark Smith are posting on Hogville, all answers should be ignored.  Nobody knows.  Even if Chavis is posting, take what he says with a grain of salt.   After the freshman show up, summer progress and fall camp, everything will change anyway.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 03:12:37 pm »

What exactly was my scenario?  He played a year.  Took a year off.  Now is back on the team. 

I took your meaning to be that his reason to quit before the season was connected to his original time with the program being “under BB”.  Rather than simply meaning it is interesting that he was with on the team last year, left the program voluntarily before the season and then elected to return.

King Kong

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 07:44:39 am »

McClure hasn't played safety at all this spring, nor is he listed as a safety. He has played linebacker and is listed at linebacker.

Yeah he played that Nickel Back role that takes the place of the transitional 3rd LB.

But just as an FYI Chavis mentioned in his post spring interview he McClure may play safety or Sam Lb in certain situations.

In the last few mins of the interview
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UtYCZ-bwXw4

theFlyingHog

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 09:23:49 am »

Oh cool so he’s lazy. Glad you think so highly of our players

LZH

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 10:06:56 am »

As long as he can take a paper clip and some Bubble Yum to avoid a national disaster, we're good.

King Kong

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 10:27:50 am »

He didn’t call him lazy. He was just saying the kid was just burnt out on Athletics. After a year off realized he still wanted it.

Good for him and good for us

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 11:21:36 am »

Don't get Munson'ed.!!

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 01:09:12 pm »

Lol, you are one of those dumb guys aren’t you.

VirginiaHog

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 01:49:39 pm »

He will fit like a glove. He is the perfect olb in this system. He will be great. 

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 06:45:05 pm »

Its just really nice to have someone wit those measurements lurking around to break into the rotation or to even start. Speed kills.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas