• 393,950 Topics
• 22,234 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is starting a Freshman QB a good idea..  (Read 3279 times)

HogPhilosophy

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Is starting a Freshman QB a good idea..
« on: April 12, 2018, 09:48:35 am »

..With the state of our current OL?

Even if Noland (or Jones) is the best QB on campus, do you throw them to the wolves behind our OL? I would legitimately be worried about mentally messing them up with all the hits they would take.

Or is the smart move to redshirt them, let them learn the system and allow our OL to have time to build depth

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
Re: Is starting a Freshman QB a good idea..
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:58:12 am »

It depends on the Freshman.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Virgil

• Hogvillian
  • Go Hawgs!!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 10:41:17 am »

Alabama says yes

HogPharmer

• All-American Hogvillian
  • KCCO
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 10:50:53 am »

Alabama says yes

Georgia also says yes

31to6

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 10:56:05 am »

it is a bad idea except when works brilliantly...

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 10:56:42 am »

The answer is YES, if he is that good, OR

Yes, if you think he is your future, your team is not very good, and you are in your 1st year and building for year 3 and 4.

31to6

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:08:38 am »

The answer is YES, if he is that good, OR

Yes, if you think he is your future, your team is not very good, and you are in your 1st year and building for year 3 and 4.
I think most coaches will not throw away a chance at a bowl (for example) on getting a freshmen ready for next year. It really depends on how much *better* the freshman is than the rest of the QB room. If you have a bunch of bad QBs, sure, why not start the young guy. If you have a room with a couple journeymen, most coaches will at least start the season with the upperclassman and, if the FR really comes along quickly, start working him in.

Early enrollment makes a big difference in the equation too.

Southpointhog

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 11:08:56 am »

You play to win....so you play the best players!

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • #gigantedormido
    • Full Tilt Boogie
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 11:12:54 am »

If he's the best we have....YES

Soooie21

• Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:13:36 am »

Most every play is going to be the read, run, pass option...The qb is going to have to go thru all of the reads fast....

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 11:14:22 am »

Even if Noland (or Jones) is the best QB on campus, do you throw them to the wolves behind our OL? I would legitimately be worried about mentally messing them up with all the hits they would take.

Or is the smart move to redshirt them, let them learn the system and allow our OL to have time to build depth
what do you mean "the state of our O-line"? How do you know it's state? It's more talented on paper than average and returns several starters. We just had a HUGE upgrade at position coach, too. I think you are still in Bert-mode.

MORAZOR

• Band Nerd
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 11:20:16 am »

what do you mean "the state of our O-line"? How do you know it's state? It's more talented on paper than average and returns several starters. We just had a HUGE upgrade at position coach, too. I think you are still in Bert-mode.

Welcome to thinking on Hogville........our D line is awesome, but our O line will be forever bad......  :o

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 11:23:05 am »

If he's the best we have....YES

Kinda how I lean, but "best" can be subjective.  I've been no fan of this self anointed "He's a senior so he starts" mentality.

BigE_23

• Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 11:27:38 am »

Alabama says yes

Georgia also says yes

Both with experienced OL's, one team with the best OL coach in the business. The whole premise of the OP's question was as it pertains to our OL depth.

My feeling on this is simple - you play whoever gives you the best chance to win the game. Period. If that's an 18 year old freshman or a 27 year old former minor league pitching 5th year senior...just win baby.

If you have to worry about the guy's mental psyche...chances are he's not that good to begin with.

redhogchilipepper

• Varsity
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 11:29:34 am »

it is a bad idea except when works brilliantly...

This! Also a good idea if you don’t want possible freshmen playing other sports or passing up an opportunity for another large donation from Player 2 grand pappy

parallaxpig

• Senior
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 11:31:51 am »

You play the QB who gives you best chance to win.

VirginiaHog

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 11:37:04 am »

The o line is fine. And the best qb will play.

HogPhilosophy

• Varsity
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 11:54:38 am »

Alabama’s and Georgia’s OL situation is much different than ours, which is why posed the question. Destroying a freshman QB’s confidence is a real concern we should have if he starts. He will be hit a lot unless our coaches can turn water into wine.

younghog

• Keep em coming
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 12:03:34 pm »

Jones is not the answer.. Yet

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 12:03:57 pm »

Alabama’s and Georgia’s OL situation is much different than ours, which is why posed the question. Destroying a freshman QB’s confidence is a real concern we should have if he starts. He will be hit a lot unless our coaches can turn water into wine.

Not just their OL situation, but for both teams almost every position is better than ours. They are batter than us at all the positions that take the pressure off of the quarterback, and their defense is going to keep their QB from having to out-score too many opponents.  Starting a freshman QB at Arkansas right now is not the same thing as starting one at Georgia or Alabama.     

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 12:09:06 pm »

And you are still in “pulling stuff out of my arse” mode. 

Dude, you know nothing.  Stop pretending you do. The OL will be fine.  Or it won’t.  We’ll know about midseason.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 12:24:50 pm »

And you are still in “pulling stuff out of my arse” mode. 

Dude, you know nothing.  Stop pretending you do. The OL will be fine.  Or it won’t.  We’ll know about midseason.
piss off, mate.

PolishPigPower

• As useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller...
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 12:30:26 pm »

I get the premise behind this line of thinking, but I don't think starting a true freshman in THIS type of offense matters.  The reason being is because any freshman who starts in THIS offense will be more fleet of foot than whomever is also at the position.  Therefore, if he has better "get-away" ability, the inconsistency of an O-line hurts less.  Also, he'll be lining up in the gun, so more pocket time is available.

In the previous offense, this would certainly have been impactful.  It killed David Carr's career in Houston, for example.  But we'll be ok'den with CCM.

CiriusPorker

• It's not an "S".
    • flickR - My photography
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 12:31:40 pm »

start him now..get tons of experience.  Year 3 he leads the SEC in passing.  Suffer Now, Play Later kinda thing..

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 12:32:32 pm »

Other teams have done it and the freshman was very productive. Just wait and see, we will know by our first game.

#hammerdown

• Varsity
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 12:43:58 pm »

This! Also a good idea if you don’t want possible freshmen playing other sports or passing up an opportunity for another large donation from Player 2 grand pappy

I was really hoping JSJ wouldn't have to hear this kind of stupidity for 5 years.  I guess I was wrong.  He hasn't even gotten to campus and idiots already have him starting because of Jerry's money.

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 12:51:02 pm »

Craddock said no on the radio this morning. Said he’d like to redshirt both QB’s.

31to6

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 12:51:21 pm »

I was really hoping JSJ wouldn't have to hear this kind of stupidity for 5 years.  I guess I was wrong.  He hasn't even gotten to campus and idiots already have him starting because of Jerry's money.
yup

checkraiser88

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 01:06:28 pm »

Lol what senior would you like to start?

Mike Irwin

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 01:09:39 pm »

It is common knowledge that Bret Bielema was highly upset when Sam Pittman left for Georgia. Pittman has friends in the area who say he was totally ticked off at Bielema for mischaracterizing what happened when he left. Specifically Pittman denies that he ignored a request by his O-linemen at Arkansas to meet with them after he decided to leave.

There's a story making the rounds that as Bielema starting calling coaches to come up with Pittman's replacement he continued to grouce about Pittman. At some point he contacted Rex Ryan at Buffalo who happened to be friends with Pittman. So when Bielema starts in on the Pittman thing a light bulb goes off in Ryan's head. He's got this assistant to the offensive line coach who is not ready to be a position coach. So he recommends the hell out of the guy.

Bielema hires an unqualified O-Line coach and it ends up costing him his job.

It's an interesting story. It may or may not be true but there are those who have told me that the talent in the O-Line is not nearly as bad as it's looked the last two seasons. It was coaching (or a lack of it).

I guess we will soon see.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 01:20:11 pm »

I hesitate to say it's not a "good idea" to start a freshman. It depends on what your options are. But it does point to weakness in your program if you have to do it.  And yes I know that doesn't apply to Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, et.al.  We don't have one of those guys coming in.

#hammerdown

• Varsity
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 01:28:31 pm »

It is common knowledge that Bret Bielema was highly upset when Sam Pittman left for Georgia. Pittman has friends in the area who say he was totally ticked off at Bielema for mischaracterizing what happened when he left. Specifically Pittman denies that he ignored a request by his O-linemen at Arkansas to meet with them after he decided to leave.

There's a story making the rounds that as Bielema starting calling coaches to come up with Pittman's replacement he continued to grouce about Pittman. At some point he contacted Rex Ryan at Buffalo who happened to be friends with Pittman. So when Bielema starts in on the Pittman thing a light bulb goes off in Ryan's head. He's got this assistant to the offensive line coach who is not ready to be a position coach. So he recommends the hell out of the guy.

It's an interesting story. It may or may not be true but there are those who have told me that the talent in the O-Line is not nearly as bad as it's looked the last two seasons. It was coaching (or a lack of it).

So you're saying we may have been catfished?
Ouch.  You would think a D1 coach wouldn't base his next hire on one recommendation.  But then again, if the story is true, other coaches may not have given him the time of day as he trash talked a very well respected OLine coach in the process.  That is the reason it is ALWAYS best to take the high road and move on. 

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2018, 02:45:01 pm »

Rest of the team has to be capable of winning the game if the QB doesn't make mistakes. Very few freshman that are good enough to start in the SEC on a bad team and come out okay.

I think Stafford started for GA his freshman year along with Mustain and Tebow. That was a freak year.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 03:30:12 pm »

I would think if the Freshman in question has the physique to play, has the best understanding of the system, and the skill set to make the offense run more efficiently than the other choices available, then yes, I say start him - you will probably not lose any more games than with the lesser talented QBs on the roster, and you'll be getting him experienced early, so in his upperclass seasons he has on field experience running your system against live competition. You don't have the luxury to worry about injuries - you play the most talented, highest Football IQ quarterback you have.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 04:21:32 pm »

Only if the Freshman is an Elite 5 Star QB.

Obviously most on here have forgotten how Smiley almost destroyed Brandon Allen by starting him aa a Freshman QB against Bama in 2012.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2018, 04:32:54 pm »

Totally believable. 

HogPharmer

• KCCO
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2018, 04:42:24 pm »

Only if the Freshman is an Elite 5 Star QB.

Obviously most on here have forgotten how Smiley almost destroyed Brandon Allen by starting him aa a Freshman QB against Bama in 2012.

When exactly wasn't Brandon Allen almost destroyed during every other year of his career?

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2018, 04:45:18 pm »

To me, its less if it is a good idea, than if it is a bad idea.

Let's be honest and forthcoming here-- this isn't a team that's going to win a ton of football games this fall.   If you think that a freshman quarterback can get a constructive grasp of the offense and progress through their growing pains, without getting killed (or your team killed) through the season,  you give it a long look.  That said,  we have a redshirt sophomore who is already a starting candidate, so maybe you play it conservatively and pick the middle road-- young enough to grow into your team's future, but not so young as to be thrown to the wolves.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2018, 04:48:14 pm »

When exactly wasn't Brandon Allen almost destroyed during every other year of his career?

Starting Brandon as a freshman against Bama was a seriously stupid idea that almost destroyed his confidence. He really wasn't ready to start until his Junior year.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:47:33 am by GuvHog »

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2018, 10:21:36 pm »

If the freshman is close to being as good as the older players then I say play the freshman.

Neither qb on campus looks like they own the offense.  So the door is open.

jkstock04

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2018, 10:27:54 pm »

The o line is fine. And the best qb will play.
OP brings up decent topic. There is a reason Austin Allen didn’t make it through the year in 2017.

redhogchilipepper

• Varsity
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2018, 10:43:21 pm »

I was really hoping JSJ wouldn't have to hear this kind of stupidity for 5 years.  I guess I was wrong.  He hasn't even gotten to campus and idiots already have him starting because of Jerry's money

Chief you need to lighten up. You took that way to serious. I was joking but if you think he’s worried about some random poster or fan talking about his rich as Shite grandpa you’re the idiot. I think the kid is very talented and has a legitimate chance to do some good things at QB

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2018, 10:53:12 pm »

If he was worried about grandpappy's shadow he wouldn't be coming to Arkansas.

HogPhilosophy

• Varsity
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2018, 02:59:54 pm »

I posed this question to SEC Country. I actually agree with their line of thinking..

https://sec.news/2IQAqbw

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 04:05:08 pm »

Totally believable.
Things just didn't smell right when he left. We went from a good offensive line to having our QB getting the hell beat out of him year after year. Just ask the Allen brothers. And AJ Derby should have never stepped on the field as a QB. Favoritism was the  name of the game for Bret. Yes a bulb came on when we lost Pittman and Chaney. I hoped for the best and got sh*t on like all of HV. Mike knew what was going on and bit his lip being the professional he is.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2018, 04:06:18 pm »

is he fast? is he 'matt jones' elusive?

then yes.

otherwise you go with they guy who knows the playbook and most consistently makes good decisions with the ball.

that is rarely a freshman getting his first snaps in the fall.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2018, 04:16:02 pm »

Y’all do comprehend that JSJ was All State QB in Texas, right? (and Landry award winner, and DMN Sports Day all-area offensive player of the year.....   simply put we’re fortunate he picked us over all the other offers he received from several top schools)

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2018, 04:36:37 pm »

Y’all do comprehend that JSJ was All State QB in Texas, right? (and Landry award winner, and DMN Sports Day all-area offensive player of the year.....   simply put we’re fortunate he picked us over all the other offers he received from several top schools)

SEC football is a much higher level of play than High School football and Freshmen QBs need time to get used to the difference in the speed and quickness of the SEC football games (unless the freshman QB is a 5 Star Elite QB) so I think it's highly likely that both Nolan and Jones redshirt this season.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2018, 04:38:13 pm »

SEC football is a much higher level of play than High School football and Freshmen QBs need time to get used to the difference in the speed of the SEC football games.

And....  Texas HS football is a much higher level of play than many on here can possibly, or remotely comprehend......

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2018, 04:52:48 pm »

Very bad extremely bad. Need for one of the guys on campus to step up. Our oline is not good enough to play a freshman at QB.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas