• 10,015,822 Posts
• 401,468 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: FBI has just released an expanded indictment against Adidas's Gatto and others  (Read 7678 times)

k.c.hawg

wire fraud and money transfer charges, now naming 4 schools and athletes being paid to attend those schools.....Kansas, NC State, Miami and Louisville. Said the investigation is now expanding, don't think this is going away. They essentially put out a caveat at the end...if you have info, come see us before we come see you.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 09:51:44 am by k.c.hawg »

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY

Funny Miami coach just signed an extension

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

k.c.hawg

Yep, some assistant will probably do 3 years while Larinaga..sp?   makes $10m.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.

I guess Miss State hid their money to Reggie Perry better than others.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian

Federal prosecutors have filed additional counts against ex-Adidas rep Jim Gatto in college basketball fraud scandal. Involves payments to the families of former players at Louisville, Miami, Kansas and N.C. State.

BannerMountainMan

Kansas is done for.

sickboy

Yeah, anyone with half a brain can see where this is going. College basketball isn't the political realm or the organized crime realm. One kernel is going to lead to another and pretty soon everyone will be turning on everyone else, pointing fingers and saying it was him or her too.

This is just the wave starting to gain momentum.

tusked

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!

it needs to happen.  you can't have some schools having shoe companies pay players over $100G and other schools be left out in the cold.

they have got to try and level the playing field.

Lud42

Shocked. SHOCKED!!

Wow, never would have suspected Kentucky to show up all over these lists...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22553502/fbi-probe-corruption-reveals-basketball-powers-broken-ncaa-rules

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

Shocked. SHOCKED!!

Wow, never would have suspected Kentucky to show up all over these lists...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22553502/fbi-probe-corruption-reveals-basketball-powers-broken-ncaa-rules

I knew it was only a matter of time before Calipari had that program in a mess. He's done that everywhere he has been the Head coach. UMASS has never fully recovered from the damage he did to their program.

jbcarol

Bobby Bobo

Louisville should get the basketball death penatly

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"

Kansas is done for.

We lost Legerald Vick to Kansas around 3 years ago for any inquiring minds.

HawgHeadCheese

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

We lost Legerald Vick to Kansas around 3 years ago for any inquiring minds.
We recruited him? I didn't know that.

steveaustin69

Kansas is done for.

Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. That screenshot doesn't prove anything that's gonna "End Kansas" unless you know a whole lot more than you're letting on.

rzrbackramsfan

Louisville should get the basketball death penatly

And dick vitale should be fired for so adamantly defending Rick Pitino.

rzrbackramsfan

We recruited him? I didn't know that.

Oh yea, we were in good shape with him too before Kansas swooped in.

steveaustin69

And dick vitale should be fired for so adamantly defending Rick Pitino.

Let's be honest. He should be fired for a laundry list of reasons before that.

rzrbackramsfan

Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. That screenshot doesn't prove anything that's gonna "End Kansas" unless you know a whole lot more than you're letting on.

Uh yea, maybe he read the article and knows who the code names are for. 

logic

wire fraud and money transfer charges, now naming 4 schools and athletes being paid to attend those schools.....Kansas, NC State, Miami and Louisville. Said the investigation is now expanding, don't think this is going away. They essentially put out a caveat at the end...if you have info, come see us before we come see you.
So what? There is very little the FBI does that I trust.

steveaustin69

Uh yea, maybe he read the article and knows who the code names are for.

I did.

Did you not?

The indictment does not say anyone at Kansas was aware of the payments to the players.

“Earlier today, we learned that the University of Kansas is named as a victim in a federal indictment,” Joe Monaco, Kansas’ director of strategic communications said in a statement. “The indictment does not suggest any wrongdoing by the university, its coaches or its staff. We will cooperate fully with investigators in this matter. Because this is an active investigation, it is not appropriate for us to comment further at this time.”

rzrbackramsfan

Only trust Info Wars and the Drudge Report Right? They took the iodine out of the water!

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian

I did.

Did you not?

I'm not sure I understand what Kansas would be in the report if not caught of some wrong doing?

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....

I did.

Did you not?

Kansas is a victim!!!!! So we are to believe kids were being funneled to Kansas without their knowledge? On what planet would this make sense? The shoe company would send a kid to school who wasn't in on the game for what reason?

sickboy

What does the FBI do that you do trust? Since you understand and know the FBI so well and are able to parse out what you do trust about the FBI and what you don't trust about the FBI... I'm interested to know.

Sow Lancelot

• Hogvillian
  • #NumquamDescedete!

Mainly a table cloth at Porcini’s.

NorthDallas40

• Varsity

Was anyone else as shocked as me to see how unhealthy Bill Self looked when he was interviewed during the tourney. Wouldn’t be surprised if he is well aware of this and it’s taking its toll.

k.c.hawg

I sent you an encoded PM to explain. It won't show up but it's there. Use your decoder.

k.c.hawg

Yes the schools are going to skate on this. The investigation is purposely being slanted towards the athletes families and the money runners. Families are probably going to get hit by IRS......family of one KS player got $90k most likely Billy Preston that never played a game. Money runners for wire fraud.....schools no problem.

What is not believable is Bill Self suddenly starting to land Top 5 players in the country after not even being able to land the one and done early on and he doesn't have a clue how it happened. He has landed Top 5 Top 10 players that they were long shots at best, to get. Does he just think wow, we are getting lucky. This makes 3 players from Ks that are in the money Jackson, Preston and they say the third is DeSousa  or Garrett. Self and Gatto have had a long running relationship (at least since Illinois, maybe Tulsa) and Self admitted in a radio interview several months back that "oh Im sure I will come up, I'm sure I'm on speed dial in his phone, we talk several times a season" I am certain nothing is going to happen to the schools but I am pretty damn certain Self has a pretty good idea some of these guys families were getting what they could.

parallaxpig

• Senior
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.

Yes the schools are going to skate on this. The investigation is purposely being slanted towards the athletes families and the money runners. Families are probably going to get hit by IRS......family of one KS player got $90k most likely Billy Preston that never played a game. Money runners for wire fraud.....schools no problem.

What is not believable is Bill Self suddenly starting to land Top 5 players in the country after not even being able to land the one and done early on and he doesn't have a clue how it happened. He has landed Top 5 Top 10 players that they were long shots at best, to get. Does he just think wow, we are getting lucky. This makes 3 players from Ks that are in the money Jackson, Preston and they say the third is DeSousa  or Garrett. Self and Gatto have had a long running relationship (at least since Illinois, maybe Tulsa) and Self admitted in a radio interview several months back that "oh Im sure I will come up, I'm sure I'm on speed dial in his phone, we talk several times a season" I am certain nothing is going to happen to the schools but I am pretty damn certain Self has a pretty good idea some of these guys families were getting what they could.

Your assuming none of these “family members” turn states evidence on their school.

k.c.hawg

Your assuming none of these “family members” turn states evidence on their school.

Well the FBI is certainly giving them the opportunity. As I stated in the opening post they closed it out with "if you have information about any of these crimes it will be better for you to come see us, before we come see you. A NC State assistant coach is already alleged to be in on payments.......time will tell. The indictment goes out of it's way to state Gatto and the families conspired to keep the institutions from learning of the payments. That's not to say that it wasn't at a coach's urging.

Randohoggie

• Varsity

lol

Randohoggie

• Varsity

What does the FBI do that you do trust? Since you understand and know the FBI so well and are able to parse out what you do trust about the FBI and what you don't trust about the FBI... I'm interested to know.

He knows they are fake news.

nwahogfan1

I will believe schools and very high profile coaches will get in serious trouble when it happens.  Lots of money in BB and sports.  Some coaches have tons of money to hire the best attorneys. 

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids

He knows they are fake news.

Who is fake news the headline, I'm completely lost here?

Pork Twain

Sure hope they don't find anything on MA...

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian

Well the FBI is certainly giving them the opportunity. As I stated in the opening post they closed it out with "if you have information about any of these crimes it will be better for you to come see us, before we come see you. A NC State assistant coach is already alleged to be in on payments.......time will tell. The indictment goes out of it's way to state Gatto and the families conspired to keep the institutions from learning of the payments. That's not to say that it wasn't at a coach's urging.

bs. the coaches know who they are in bed with.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

Yeah, anyone with half a brain can see where this is going. College basketball isn't the political realm or the organized crime realm. One kernel is going to lead to another and pretty soon everyone will be turning on everyone else, pointing fingers and saying it was him or her too.

This is just the wave starting to gain momentum.

This wave has been needed ever since the NCAA became inept when Emmert was hired.

FineAsSwine

Well the FBI is certainly giving them the opportunity. As I stated in the opening post they closed it out with "if you have information about any of these crimes it will be better for you to come see us, before we come see you.

Should we forward this info to Kimberli and Al? If they are proactive about this they might just get off with lightly with just a "slap on the ankle" bracelet.  Al, being so sick and all, would just keel over and kick the bucket if he had to move into a room at the big house. ;)

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

No kidding. Dick is like your neighbors dog that won’t shut up barking. Yet his bite would be like a warm marshmallow.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

I will believe schools and very high profile coaches will get in serious trouble when it happens.  Lots of money in BB and sports.  Some coaches have tons of money to hire the best attorneys. 

Richer people than coaches with the highest paid lawyers have been put in the pen by the Feds.

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian

In the release it says the coaches knew nothing about the money.  Adidas was going behind their back in their dealings with the players.   

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator

I guess Miss State hid their money to Reggie Perry better than others.

This thing isn't over.  The feds are going to get some of these guys to roll over and turn state's evidence.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

In the release it says the coaches knew nothing about the money.  Adidas was going behind their back in their dealings with the players.   

Doesn’t matter. Coaches hold ultimate responsibility now pretty much with anything with the NCAA rules. It only might lessen any NCAA penalties if proven the coach didn’t know. The NCAA though believes someone should be responsible and know what goes on and have made the coaches the one.

steveaustin69

Doesn’t matter. Coaches hold ultimate responsibility now pretty much with anything with the NCAA rules. It only might lessen any NCAA penalties if proven the coach didn’t know. The NCAA though believes someone should be responsible and know what goes on and have made the coaches the one.

What is your basis for this belief? Louisville? That was a pretty egregious situation of obvious lack of institutional control.

I'll believe heads will roll when high profile names/schools are directly linked to payments.

liljo

What is your basis for this belief? Louisville? That was a pretty egregious situation of obvious lack of institutional control.

I'll believe heads will roll when high profile names/schools are directly linked to payments.

I'm inclined to agree. Some of these coaches have been cheating so long, and gotten so proficient at it, they'll never pin 'em down. And, even if a guy like Calipari were linked directly to a payment; even if the evidence was overwhelming--his worst case would be that he'd surface within a week as the head coach someplace else, and the beat goes on.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

The NCAA holds coaches responsible for the most part. One way is the proverbial “institutional control” rules. That being said yes I agree heads will roll. Even perhaps some coaches that claim no knowledge of payments and such. That’s why I posted what I did. We in effect agree this time.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

I'm inclined to agree. Some of these coaches have been cheating so long, and gotten so proficient at it, they'll never pin 'em down. And, even if a guy like Calipari were linked directly to a payment; even if the evidence was overwhelming--his worst case would be that he'd surface within a week as the head coach someplace else, and the beat goes on.

I don’t think Cal would get off so easy this time and get hired in college again.

k.c.hawg

If the NCAA is not 100% embarrassed that the FBI had to come in and clean up what the NCAA has overlooked for years, there is no hope. That being said, most of the interviews I have heard with national guys that cover the sport 24/7 have indicated the NCAA is embarrassed and will take the information from the FBI probe and act on it.

You can't tell me that Kansas is having multiple players families receive large sums of money from their apparel partner and they don't have a clue. If they don't have a clue then that should be punishable in itself. I find it hard to believe when you are recruiting kids/kids families that are waiting for the $100k payoff that there aren't some overtones even if you aren't the one making the payment.

We will see what happens. I personally don't expect much to happen to schools or head coaches from this or than vacated wins from playing ineligible players. What I think the NCAA should do to the major offenders is put them on a level of probation that for years if they have another incident they get the death penalty. You could try to do a reset that way without harming the game as it is or media deals that are in place.

Deli Owl

• Band Nerd

There's nothing yet to tie UK, KU, or Duke to any issues.  Duke and UK had a player with a meal.  Under $200 means pay back and play.  They were both cleared to continue playing.  Bam taking money in high school means UK could lose games but he denies receiving money at this point.  The documented "Bad Loan" may mean someone was paid to get Bam to NC St. and he didn't go.  No evidence has come out yet.  KU was stated to be a victim and they didn't know.  They may have to forfeit games but doubt they tie it to Self.

I know, I know everyone in the country is guilty but let it play out and see.  My guess would be this:  Any coach that was involved will get the school in trouble.  If no coaches are tied to anything, they get off easy.  Maybe loss of games, maybe not.

If new info comes out, then something new may be an option.  UL should be fried for 2 reasons.  1.  A coach was involved.  2. They were already on probation.  They had an appeal in place but 1. The punishment had already been set, and 2. They didn't appeal the probation.  (That's the biggie for them)

Smoking gun for Duke is that the Begley family went from 40k household income to riches. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas