• 9,882,634 Posts
• 398,200 Topics
• 22,806 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Positives from the Scrimmage  (Read 1643 times)

Terryproy

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Positives from the Scrimmage
« on: April 10, 2018, 12:42:25 pm »

Even though it’s hard to take anything from a scrimmage, I seen some things that may be different this year. I see speed on defense especially at the LB position. Once the offense works out the kinks I think they’ll be explosive. What say you ?

Reservoir Hogs

Re: Positives from the Scrimmage
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 01:18:51 pm »

Even though it’s hard to take anything from a scrimmage, I seen some things that may be different this year. I see speed on defense especially at the LB position. Once the offense works out the kinks I think they’ll be explosive. What say you ?

I thought your nephew ran hard... glad to see him doing well, expecting big things this year!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 01:36:16 pm »

Lots of positives, I thought they look pretty organized for 12 practices. The run game looked pretty good but hard to tell with Sosa out. DB's looked pretty good. O'Grady looked good. Kelly looked pretty good. As CM says long way to go.

RagingHawgOn

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 01:38:46 pm »

I thought your nephew ran hard... glad to see him doing well, expecting big things this year!

Ditto; after what seemed to be a quiet spring camp, he sure looked good. He runs hard, physical.

WPS!

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 02:20:38 pm »

I was there and was encouraged by the QBs. We have four who can play. Kelley and Storey played well with the first team. Arkansas will win SEC games with either. Dalton Hyatt looked comfortable and confident. I don’t share the concern over his weight. The weightroom won’t change the way he’s built. He’s like Devwah, who seems to be closer to his optimum playing weight than he’s ever been at Arkansas. Weight and bulk can be good, but speed and strength are most important. Too much weight compromises the quickness and straight-line speed that make Hyatt and Devwah dangerous. Austin Aune was impressive in warmups. He can spin the ball. His mechanics are not what you ordinarily see from a walk-on. Of course, he isn’t your typical walk-on. We may have fallen into someone who will surprise people. At the very least he is a valuable addition to the practice squad and depth chart.

The front-line secondary and linebackers looked REALLY good. Like John Chavis/LSU good. Randy Ramsey will wreak havoc. The first team defense could be as good as just about any in the SEC with Agim, Capps and Gerald to go with what we saw Saturday.

We have four good backs. Rakeem Boyd could make 5. Devwah/Williams and Hayden/Hammonds present some interesting options for two-back sets, a la McFadden/Jones. Some version of the Wildcat would be difficult to defend with a running threat at QB and our TE/HBs.

Pettway and Woods looked like playmakers. TEs were good as advertised. As with the D-line, the receiving corps will be different with Cornelius and Martin in the mix. We still may not have that burner to stretch the field, but there are some impressive athletes with experience at WR.

The first team o-line will be strong. Depth will come. Rogers and Heinrich hurt. Cooper Sone may have been ready to contribute at center. Dustin Fry has time to build this line into a good SEC bunch by September 1. The talent and experience is there.

I was more impressed when I got home and watched the game on television than I was in the stands. Camera angles allow you to see the whole field with replays and slo-mo. There is a lot of talent on this football team. They are going to get better. Depth is an issue in places, most notably in the trenches.  Hopefully we’ll stay healthy while underclassmen watch, grow and learn.

Overall, the Spring game left me with the impression this team is going to surprise people in the Fall.

cityhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • THE City
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 02:58:29 pm »

we won. That's a positive.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:39:07 pm »

I was there and was encouraged by the QBs. We have four who can play. Kelley and Storey played well with the first team. Arkansas will win SEC games with either. Dalton Hyatt looked comfortable and confident. I don’t share the concern over his weight. The weightroom won’t change the way he’s built. He’s like Devwah, who seems to be closer to his optimum playing weight than he’s ever been at Arkansas. Weight and bulk can be good, but speed and strength are most important. Too much weight compromises the quickness and straight-line speed that make Hyatt and Devwah dangerous. Austin Aune was impressive in warmups. He can spin the ball. His mechanics are not what you ordinarily see from a walk-on. Of course, he isn’t your typical walk-on. We may have fallen into someone who will surprise people. At the very least he is a valuable addition to the practice squad and depth chart.

The front-line secondary and linebackers looked REALLY good. Like John Chavis/LSU good. Randy Ramsey will wreak havoc. The first team defense could be as good as just about any in the SEC with Agim, Capps and Gerald to go with what we saw Saturday.

We have four good backs. Rakeem Boyd could make 5. Devwah/Williams and Hayden/Hammonds present some interesting options for two-back sets, a la McFadden/Jones. Some version of the Wildcat would be difficult to defend with a running threat at QB and our TE/HBs.

Pettway and Woods looked like playmakers. TEs were good as advertised. As with the D-line, the receiving corps will be different with Cornelius and Martin in the mix. We still may not have that burner to stretch the field, but there are some impressive athletes with experience at WR.

The first team o-line will be strong. Depth will come. Rogers and Heinrich hurt. Cooper Sone may have been ready to contribute at center. Dustin Fry has time to build this line into a good SEC bunch by September 1. The talent and experience is there.

I was more impressed when I got home and watched the game on television than I was in the stands. Camera angles allow you to see the whole field with replays and slo-mo. There is a lot of talent on this football team. They are going to get better. Depth is an issue in places, most notably in the trenches.  Hopefully we’ll stay healthy while underclassmen watch, grow and learn.

Overall, the Spring game left me with the impression this team is going to surprise people in the Fall.
i am in the camp that believes in the defense. they'll be fun to watch.

Tarheelhawg

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 06:52:02 pm »

Rogers and Heinrich hurt. They are no longer on the team to my knowledge. 

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 06:56:12 pm »

Rogers and Heinrich hurt. They are no longer on the team to my knowledge. 

That’s what hurts.

jbigs77

• Varsity
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 07:15:18 pm »

Malick Williams looked good to me. Anyone else see that? Also nice to see DBs looking for the ball instead of just trying to catch up to receivers after the catch.

HogFoo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 07:35:15 pm »

Malick Williams looked good to me. Anyone else see that? Also nice to see DBs looking for the ball instead of just trying to catch up to receivers after the catch.
coaches have said how they really liked Malik williams speed.  Heck, even last spring, from hearing how much the coaches praised M.Williams, would have thought for sure he was gonna be in the rotation, but then D.Williams transfers in and we didnt hear anything from Malik.  He is a big kid with speed.

I thought the defense looked good. Definitely way ahead of the offense at this point.  I really believe the defense will be good. With gerald and Agim , and then with return of Pulley, development of Callaway and curl, along with brown, Ramirez,  i think our secondary will be quite good.  Itll help our DEs having good secondary and secondary having good DEs.  I think our LBs will be good as well. Definitely could see Parker and pool getting into starting lineup, harris and dre could be all SEC.  Harris may be best LB in conf.  Depth on DL still an issue.

I believe that Chavis will be able to recruit the players he needs to have a great defense.  I believe he is kind of the defensive equivalent that pittman was on oline.   Im not too worried with how the team looked right now.  I want them to get better and they will.  We have talent on this team, they just need to practice basically.  Repetitive.  Learn, know the plays. Theyll look a lot faster when everyone is sure of what they are doing on offense.  Not worried.

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 07:49:16 pm »

The defense will be WAY better than it has been.  If I had to guess, I think we’ll finish somewhere between 4th and 8th in the conference in defense which will be marked improvement.  They will carry us early while the offense gets going and won’t be our Achilles heel this year.  I expect some growing pains on offense but I also believe we’ll explode on someone that isn’t expecting it one game this year.

Terryproy

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 07:56:20 pm »

I was pleased with the speed at the 2nd level as far as the LB. Arkansas was beat up the middle a lot the past 2 years , I don’t see that happening this year.  The secondary looks improved also . The running game will be better than last year because I seen improvements in the OL with their feet movement and their ability to pull quicker to open the gaps. But we’ll see what happens.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 08:05:37 pm »

I was pleased with the speed at the 2nd level as far as the LB. Arkansas was beat up the middle a lot the past 2 years , I don’t see that happening this year.  The secondary looks improved also . The running game will be better than last year because I seen improvements in the OL with their feet movement and their ability to pull quicker to open the gaps. But we’ll see what happens.

Once the timing gets down with regard to the motion and the execution of the RPO's , I think you will see even better blocking angles formed to help the OL and H-Backs/RB's to execute blocks. Of course we will need the receivers to catch more balls and be able to find open spots more quickly so the QB can deliver the ball more quickly without waiting for a "3 count", but I think that will come.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 08:54:14 pm »

The thing I liked most about Williams was his vision. Sometimes with this offense the lane is on the backside. He showed an ability to sidestep the pile and take what the defense gave him. Auburn’s best backs under Malzahn have done that , e.g., Tre Mason and Kamryn Pettway.

East TN HAWG

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 09:34:09 pm »

I thought Devwah looked the best since he has been on campus.

JIHawg

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 09:57:16 pm »

The OL gave the QB time to get off passes.  There were several passes thrown right in the bread basket.  We seem to have good depth everywhere on offense except for the OL.  We really need to develop some 2nd stringers there.  We have plenty of backs, lots of receivers and tight ends.

On defense, Ramsey may become a difference maker along with Agim.  We have two linebackers who are difference makers.  On the backside, Pulley is one, there may be 2 or 3 others.

I'm thinking 8-9 wins if the injury bug doesn't bite us and if a quarterback will emerge.  I'm betting on Kelley right now.

presidenthog

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 12:48:30 am »

The OL gave the QB time to get off passes.  There were several passes thrown right in the bread basket.  We seem to have good depth everywhere on offense except for the OL.  We really need to develop some 2nd stringers there.  We have plenty of backs, lots of receivers and tight ends.

On defense, Ramsey may become a difference maker along with Agim.  We have two linebackers who are difference makers.  On the backside, Pulley is one, there may be 2 or 3 others.

I'm thinking 8-9 wins if the injury bug doesn't bite us and if a quarterback will emerge.  I'm betting on Kelley right now.

I am still leaning 6 wins right now. I could see us getting to 8 if we beat vandy, ole miss, Mizzou (road game). I just cant see us winning in starkville against a loaded miss st team by their standards. Maybe the downgrade in coaching may help us over come that, but starkville is a tough place to play. The only other chance is if we beat A&M with them switching offenses to a more pro style with players for a different system. I actually think our switch is easier than their switch.

Positives I saw though. RB is deep, and talented. TE as well. Pettway seems to have finally taken a step in the right direction. He was a 4star wanted by ole miss when they were buying players. So when you are getting who ever you want with money it says a lot to me when they have had great WRs. Woods seems to be a steal for being a 3 star going to smu. First team D will be talented and hold people in the first half of games. We need depth to make it a 4 qtr game.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:04:48 am by presidenthog »

Flrazrback

• Varsity
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 02:31:31 am »

Loved the pressure defense, Chief has us headed in the right direction and it will continue to get better. Maleek Williams was impressive, hard running with nice cuts. Quarterbacks had success and were effective in adverse conditions. Remember the play call in this game was very generic and scaled back, but the preview was exciting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas