• 9,887,562 Posts
• 398,314 Topics
• 22,810 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Do Arkansas alumni want to win really bad?  (Read 2808 times)

rinds

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Do Arkansas alumni want to win really bad?
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:47:27 pm »

I am not talking about the rank and file, I am talking the big money folks. We don't need to cheat but it seems we try to low ball when it comes to assistant coaches. Personally I believe that is why Gus didn't come here which I am glad for but did they really try to get him? There are some that are in it for the fight but some seem happy to just make money and be O.K.

Bobby Bobo

Re: Do Arkansas alumni want to win really bad?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:51:14 pm »

I'm not touching this one

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:51:46 pm »

Do you expect Morris to recruit TX well?

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:56:17 pm »

Do you expect Morris to recruit TX well?

Don't get me wrong I like the Morris and Chavis hire. Let's take Brent Venerable for a second why not offer 2.8 mil or 3 mil for him? I think it gets him and makes a statement that your in for the fight. I know some say he would not come but I don't believe that. Everyone has their price.

Al Boarland

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:58:04 pm »

Don't get me wrong I like the Morris and Chavis hire. Let's take Brent Venerable for a second why not offer 2.8 mil or 3 mil for him? I think it gets him and makes a statement that your in for the fight. I know some say he would not come but I don't believe that. Everyone has their price.

How much would it take for you to risk your career going to a school that struggles to recruit top talent? It’s a risky move.

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 09:00:35 pm »

How much would it take for you to risk your career going to a school that struggles to recruit top talent? It’s a risky move.

fair question but you make the contract 15 mil at 3 mil a year lets say and give a good buyout. His history someone would pick him up and he would have a boat load of money. I would just like for Arkansas not to settle for second choice. I would like for us to say we want that guy go get him, just once!

Al Boarland

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 09:03:01 pm »

fair question but you make the contract 15 mil at 3 mil a year lets say and give a good buyout. His history someone would pick him up and he would have a boat load of money. I would just like for Arkansas not to settle for second choice. I would like for us to say we want that guy go get him, just once!

They tried. You can’t force someone to take a job.

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 09:04:49 pm »

They tried. You can’t force someone to take a job.

I disagree, they tried to give him a 500k raise to take a chance as you said why risk that for 500k and Clemson was going to match that anyway and he knew it.

Al Boarland

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 09:13:05 pm »

I disagree, they tried to give him a 500k raise to take a chance as you said why risk that for 500k and Clemson was going to match that anyway and he knew it.

They swung for the fence with Malzahn.

OLEJACKETFAN

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 09:16:51 pm »

Your Money Folks will have the chance to step up in a couple years to pay CM or loose him to someone higher up! Be Happy with the situation now.  Over his time Coaching he usually moves in about 3 years. And so far it has ALWAYS been up!!

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 09:16:58 pm »

They swung for the fence with Malzahn.

yes but they pretty much said no money left to bring the staff you want. I am pretty sure that is why Gus didn't come. Have no evidence of that just a gut feeling. If you are ready to spend 7 mil for Gus why not give Venerable 3 mil? Morris 3.5 + Venerable 3 = 6.5 you still have 500k? Me thinks it was a smoke screen.

Al Boarland

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 09:18:48 pm »

yes but they pretty much said no money left to bring the staff you want. I am pretty sure that is why Gus didn't come. Have no evidence of that just a gut feeling. If you are ready to spend 7 mil for Gus why not give Venerable 3 mil? Morris 3.5 + Venerable 3 = 6.5 you still have 500k? Me thinks it was a smoke screen.

Gut and common sense say he stayed where he thought he could compete for championships.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 09:19:29 pm »

You think Venables would make us a top tier defense next year?

PorkSoda

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 09:23:38 pm »

lol, how many programs  have tried to hire BV? and you think you are going to get him for 3M? and as a two headedcoachmonster?

next time you have one of those gut feelings you may want to visit a doctor instead of posting on hogville.

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 09:24:16 pm »

You think Venables would make us a top tier defense next year?

I think it would impress the hell out of recruits yes I do! That's the point CM+DCV ride again! you think that's a hard sell for a kid? Chavis is turning heads and he is an old timer, good but old. Imagine the excitement with recruits the Clemson magic back together at Arkansas! That would sale no question!!

TeufelHog

• Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 09:25:01 pm »

Gus was never coming here.  Used Arkansas to improve his position at Auburn.  Just business . . . plain and simple.  That should answer your question.

Facilities are built and excuses are running thin. We are “little ol’ Arky” until we hire the coach and staff that builds a dynasty.  IMHO, that will take former NFL coaches, NFL staff, NFL players . . . as our staff, to ATTRACT the talent/caliber of recruit we need to win championships.  That type of player wants a coaching staff that affords them the best opportunity to get drafted and play in the league.  I believe that’s how “little ol’ Arky” flips the script.

Could we “catch lightning in a bottle” with someone like Coach Morris.  Sure, it could happen.  Honestly hope  it does.  Odds sure are against it though.  Just look at our track record since 1964.

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 09:28:31 pm »

lol, how many programs  have tried to hire BV? and you think you are going to get him for 3M? and as a two headedcoachmonster?

next time you have one of those gut feelings you may want to visit a doctor instead of posting on hogville.

Clemson got him for 2m? just basic math. If you want him go get him. Maybe we don't get him but at least go for it! BTW, he is from Kansas and rumor has it he wants to go back there someday.

rtr

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 09:29:00 pm »

Gut and common sense say he stayed where he thought he could compete for championships.
It is amazing how much damage to our fanbase's psyche was caused by Long and Bielema. 

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 09:30:36 pm »

Dang. That RME feller works faster than two Louisiana lovestruck teenagers. He must be one uh them there hermaphrosprites.

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 09:30:56 pm »

It is amazing how much damage to our fanbase's psyche was caused by Long and Bielema.

it's back before that!

luke hawg

• Senior
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 09:31:14 pm »

I think they are doing their best. Bobby Petrino was a slam dunk. Bret Bielema was a monster hire on paper and so was his starting staff. The problem was keeping his staff. Recruiting to Arkansas is difficult which makes it difficult to retain top level assistants. These guys want to look good while exerting as little energy as possible on the recruiting trail.

I think boosters know that for Arkansas to make a huge jump. We need a good coach running a system that compliments the high school talent around us. Chad Morris checks those boxes and has more recruiting upside than Malzahn or Norvell.

HeyHogs

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 09:35:58 pm »

I do not believe that the alumni will make the tough decisions it takes to make Arkansas Football a winner. 

PorkSoda

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 09:39:06 pm »

I do not believe that the alumni will make the tough decisions it takes to make Arkansas Football a winner. 
129 teams want to win the national championship.  every year "128 don't make the tough decisions necessary to be a winner"

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 09:40:56 pm »

I think it would impress the hell out of recruits yes I do! That's the point CM+DCV ride again! you think that's a hard sell for a kid? Chavis is turning heads and he is an old timer, good but old. Imagine the excitement with recruits the Clemson magic back together at Arkansas! That would sale no question!!
Sure, it would have turned some heads. And we may have picked up a few quality recruits because of it. But the best way to get the top recruits is to start winning. We have some quality pieces on defense, but nothing like BV has at Clemson. He won't produce much better of a defense in the next couple of seasons then Chavis will, but we got Chavis for half the price. Now if we were loaded with Sunday type players on defense then going after BV would be worth it. Top tier defenses are dependent on top tier talent. Schemes can only get you so far on defense. I'm condifident CM and Chavis can get the program on the right track, and in return the talent coming in will get better. Chavis still has the name to pull some top talent.

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 09:43:39 pm »

120 teams want to win the national championship.  every year "119 don't make the tough decisions necessary to be a winner"

You think Georgia didn't make a decision to compete? look at there recruiting ranking this year. What about Florida with Mullen? or Pruitt at Tennessee.  The upper management has to have vision! Offense and Defense. Don't get me wrong Morris and Chavis are a pretty good team I am just saying if you get CM and BV you have lightning in a bottle

TeufelHog

• Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 09:47:10 pm »

129 teams want to win the national championship.  every year "128 don't make the tough decisions necessary to be a winner"
  . . . and incredibly, for the past 7 years we haven’t even been successful enough to be in the top 25 of those 129.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 09:47:26 pm »

Whack-a-mole anyone?

PorkSoda

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 09:53:27 pm »

You think Georgia didn't make a decision to compete? look at there recruiting ranking this year. What about Florida with Mullen? or Pruitt at Tennessee.  The upper management has to have vision! Offense and Defense. Don't get me wrong Morris and Chavis are a pretty good team I am just saying if you get CM and BV you have lightning in a bottle
and you don't think they tried?

you think that they can just pick who they want and wave a magic wand? 

Did you even consider that maybe Venables did not want to come here, even if we offered him 3+ million.  that he perfered to continue playing for championships at clemson with out the stress of having to recreate the wheel?

PorkSoda

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 09:54:32 pm »

. . . and incredibly, for the past 7 years we haven’t even been successful enough to be in the top 25 of those 129.
yup, but suddenly all the best coaches in the country were begging for the job and we turned them down because we didn't want to make "tough decisions"

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 09:56:05 pm »

Sure, it would have turned some heads. And we may have picked up a few quality recruits because of it. But the best way to get the top recruits is to start winning. We have some quality pieces on defense, but nothing like BV has at Clemson. He won't produce much better of a defense in the next couple of seasons then Chavis will, but we got Chavis for half the price. Now if we were loaded with Sunday type players on defense then going after BV would be worth it. Top tier defenses are dependent on top tier talent. Schemes can only get you so far on defense. I'm condifident CM and Chavis can get the program on the right track, and in return the talent coming in will get better. Chavis still has the name to pull some top talent.

Your making my point get Chavis off the sale rack. Top tier doesn't just show up you have to recruit them and BV would have done it way faster and better than Chavis IMO don't think there is any question. That's why you pay the 3mil not 1.5mil. That's why the programs that win win. Georgia didn't just hire Kirby they hire the staff he wanted! and got quality coaches he needed. I know we don't make as much money as Georgia but we can come closer than what we do!

PorkSoda

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 09:58:23 pm »

Georgia didn't just hire Kirby they hire the staff he wanted! and got quality coaches he needed.
you mean like chaney? 

seems like he was a coach here once, and it didn't work out quite as well.

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 10:00:57 pm »

Did you even consider that maybe Venables did not want to come here, even if we offered him 3+ million.  that he perfered to continue playing for championships at clemson with out the stress of having to recreate the wheel?

Magic wand? it's called hiring a good coach and staff! Like I said if we offer 3mil and he doesn't he doesn't. Yeah stay at Clemson, lose one more Championship game and you tell me about stress! Hell don't go to the BCS this year and see if the Clemson fans are happy! Hell there were Bama fans mad a Saban year before last! IMO, stress would be way lower at Arkansas and if he does what he is hired to do we do compete!

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 10:04:21 pm »

you mean like chaney? 

seems like he was a coach here once, and it didn't work out quite as well.

How did it work out in Georgia?

PorkSoda

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 10:05:47 pm »

Magic wand? it's called hiring a good coach and staff! Like I said if we offer 3mil and he doesn't he doesn't. Yeah stay at Clemson, lose one more Championship game and you tell me about stress! Hell don't go to the BCS this year and see if the Clemson fans are happy! Hell there were Bama fans mad a Saban year before last! IMO, stress would be way lower at Arkansas and if he does what he is hired to do we do compete!

do you know what they offered him?

and here is another reality check.

even if they had hired BV, we will still struggle to make a bowl this year.

this is the SEC, every program is big time.  every program is spending big money to win.  the SEC has lead the league in coaching salaries for a long long time.  we could have an elite coach, but land us right square middle of the pack in the SEC.

That is our reality.  so relax, enjoy the off season, and cheer for the hogs this fall.

Lao Tsuie

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 10:06:08 pm »

Well sure they want to win badly. The so-called "they" ponied up didn't they.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 10:10:01 pm »

Pork - rinds and Bobby Bobo are steveaustin and busta rump’s love children, who in turn are the spawn of RyanMalletsEgo and MyBoyCanaan. Maybe RME gave birth to the whole clan. Multiplying faster than a wet gremlin.

ricepig

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2018, 10:10:25 pm »

How did it work out in Georgia?

It works well, because they have had great recruiting classes for years. Funny how that seems to help. Must be due to their location, nah, it's because the pay their staff a lot.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 10:15:07 pm »

When will some of you grow up and realize it is not always about money. Not everyone has a price.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 10:17:30 pm »

Your making my point get Chavis off the sale rack. Top tier doesn't just show up you have to recruit them and BV would have done it way faster and better than Chavis IMO don't think there is any question. That's why you pay the 3mil not 1.5mil. That's why the programs that win win. Georgia didn't just hire Kirby they hire the staff he wanted! and got quality coaches he needed. I know we don't make as much money as Georgia but we can come closer than what we do!
BV may have very well achieve it faster. But enough to justify 3m a year for an assistant? And I wouldn't say we got Chavis off the sale rake. If he returns after next season, he will be the highest paid assistant in Arkansas history at 1.5m. LSUs DC is the only assistant making over 2 mil a year. If BV was worth 3m then he would be getting paid that. Arkansas doesn't need to be overpaying for coaches, that's what A&M is for

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 10:19:23 pm »

do you know what they offered him?

and here is another reality check.

even if they had hired BV, we will still struggle to make a bowl this year.

this is the SEC, every program is big time.  every program is spending big money to win.  the SEC has lead the league in coaching salaries for a long long time.  we could have an elite coach, but land us right square middle of the pack in the SEC.

That is our reality.  so relax, enjoy the off season, and cheer for the hogs this fall.

You have a loser mentality that's fine, sad but OK, your happy with middle of the pack good for you some of us want better. I will enjoy the Hogs as I have done for 50 years. This is just a discussion board and this is a discussion.

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 10:21:48 pm »

It works well, because they have had great recruiting classes for years. Funny how that seems to help. Must be due to their location, nah, it's because the pay their staff a lot.

Yet they haven't been in a NC game in 20+ years?

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 10:22:17 pm »

Pork - rinds and Bobby Bobo are steveaustin and busta rump’s love children, who in turn are the spawn of RyanMalletsEgo and MyBoyCanaan. Maybe RME gave birth to the whole clan. Multiplying faster than a wet gremlin.

Dude, I just happened to scroll through this thread. I dunno why you're so obsessed with pinning all of us as one person or in on some shtick together. Seriously, you mention it multiple times a day, every day. It's weird. It's an obsession bordering on the brink of some weird fetish. You just mentioned me on a thread I haven't even posted in until now. That's just strange.

I'm not Canaan or SteveAustin or BustaNutt or anyone else. I have no desire nor need to make multiple accounts.

Mods or Admins, please check my IP addresses and where I post from or where all these accounts were created or continually post from. Please do it. See if they match up to anyone. Please get BPhil's weird and creepy old man obsession with us off this board and clear it up once and for all. I beg you.

I don't have multiple accounts. You post about me and these guys multiple times a day. It's freaking weird, dude. I don't know why you're so obsessed with me or with those guys, but I'm not into old dudes, alright? You can start charging me or them rent up in your headspace if you want it, because we've clearly taken up residence.

You can't get it through your head that maybe some people just agree and their views closely align. Instead, you paint us as one person in one broad, incorrect stroke. What gives? It's weird.

Knock off this darn. It's weird and it's obsessive and it has no backing whatsoever. If you get off on it as some weird fetish, so be it. Or PM me if you've got the nuts. Quit cluttering up boards and mentioning me whenever you get a hard-on just so you think you can be clever.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 10:24:20 pm »

Dumb A$$ or great troll move

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2018, 10:27:39 pm »

When will some of you grow up and realize it is not always about money. Not everyone has a price.

While that sounds good that is not reality. Yes dollar for dollar they don't that's why sometimes you have to offer more to get them to leave a good gig. That is why we had to pay more with the carrot of joining him with CM. With football coaches it's about opportunity alot of times as some have said Clemson is in a good spot now. You have to change the equation, the power money knows this.

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 10:28:30 pm »

Dumb A$$ or great troll move

I vote your a Dumb A$$

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2018, 10:29:08 pm »

Dude, I just happened to scroll through this thread. I dunno why you're so obsessed with pinning all of us as one person or in on some shtick together. Seriously, you mention it multiple times a day, every day. It's weird. It's an obsession bordering on the brink of some weird fetish. You just mentioned me on a thread I haven't even posted in until now. That's just strange.

I'm not Canaan or SteveAustin or BustaNutt or anyone else. I have no desire nor need to make multiple accounts.

Mods or Admins, please check my IP addresses and where I post from or where all these accounts were created or continually post from. Please do it. See if they match up to anyone. Please get BPhil's weird and creepy old man obsession with us off this board and clear it up once and for all. I beg you.

I don't have multiple accounts. You post about me and these guys multiple times a day. It's freaking weird, dude. I don't know why you're so obsessed with me or with those guys, but I'm not into old dudes, alright? You can start charging me or them rent up in your headspace if you want it, because we've clearly taken up residence.

You can't get it through your head that maybe some people just agree and their views closely align. Instead, you paint us as one person in one broad, incorrect stroke. What gives? It's weird.

Knock off this darn. It's weird and it's obsessive and it has no backing whatsoever. If you get off on it as some weird fetish, so be it. Or PM me if you've got the nuts. Quit cluttering up boards and mentioning me whenever you get a hard-on just so you think you can be clever.

Nuts.... He said nuts. Lol.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2018, 10:31:31 pm »

Nuts.... He said nuts. Lol.

Ya know, I'm not surprised that "nuts" are the only thing you took out of that post.

Look at your three prior posts in this thread. All mentioning me or those other posters.

No one quoted you back, so you felt the need to keep going. Not once. But twice.
Your stuff fell flat so you kept pushing your weird fetishist agenda, hoping someone would finally take the bait. If at first you don't succeed...

Holy hell, man. That's just weird.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2018, 10:41:00 pm »

Ya know, I'm not surprised that "nuts" are the only thing you took out of that post.

The funny thing is I just mentioned you today. Stevie and Canaan and busta happily admit they are one and the same. Bobby and rinds show up and HeyHogs fits the profile.

If “nuts” was my problem I’d have pm’d you first.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2018, 10:41:58 pm »

Look at your three prior posts in this thread. All mentioning me or those other posters.

No one quoted you back, so you felt the need to keep going. Not once. But twice.
Your stuff fell flat so you kept pushing your weird fetishist agenda, hoping someone would finally take the bait. If at first you don't succeed...

Holy hell, man. That's just weird.

Now you’re stuttering.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2018, 10:45:26 pm »

The funny thing is I just mentioned you today. Stevie and Canaan and busta happily admit they are one and the same. Bobby and rinds show up and HeyHogs fits the profile.

If “nuts” was my problem I’d have pm’d you first.

So you think Stevie, Canaan, Busta, Bobby, Rinds, and HeyHogs are the same person? Or at least three of those accounts are one poster?

Do you not know the rules of this site? Do you not know how IP addresses work? Do you think that person has 3 or 6 different devices they're using to post on this site? Or do you think the mods and admins are bad at tracking duplicate accounts?

I think they're pretty good at shutting them down quickly. I guess you don't. Or you don't have a basic understanding of how any of this works.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas