• 10,015,822 Posts
• 401,468 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where are our depth issues at this time?  (Read 1491 times)

JIHawg

Where are our depth issues at this time?
« on: April 09, 2018, 03:16:06 pm »

The offensive line could get thin real fast with a couple of injuries.  That's all I see on offense.

On defense, we just pray no injuries at corner, LB, and safety.  There's definitely a talent dip in the second string here.

Hawgphat

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Where are our depth issues at this time?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 03:25:27 pm »

I concur with the above post.  I endorse it as an astute observation.

In deference to the thread title, - - I am experiencing a growing measure of confidence that our new head coach will not be adjudged to be "out of his depth"in his new position.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:10:03 pm »

Defensive line. OL has thin numbers, but bodies aren't rotated there like DL. OL doesn't have numbers across the board, but don't rotate like DL does. If you have your best 5 and they stay healthy, you're good to go. DL needs to stay fresh and adjust according to offensive personnel/situationally.

Al Boarland

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:57:23 pm »

Defensive line. OL has thin numbers, but bodies aren't rotated there like DL. OL doesn't have numbers across the board, but don't rotate like DL does. If you have your best 5 and they stay healthy, you're good to go. DL needs to stay fresh and adjust according to offensive personnel/situationally.

This. Canít have any injuries on OL and we have no quality depth on D. They are going to get gassed.

hawginbigd1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:30:17 pm »

This. Canít have any injuries on OL and we have no quality depth on D. They are going to get gassed.
4 probable starters didn't play a snap Saturday on defense so yeah they have 0 quality depth on defense SMH. OL and DT can't afford injury bug, everywhere else there is depth.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 10:27:14 pm »

Center, Safetyand LB are the biggest concerns for lack of quality depth

havok

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:29:04 am »

All I know is.. since we will be a few over the 85 Limit, a few things will need to shake out to get us too that number.  Just hope we don't have any O-linemen who look to transfer.  we are way too thin in numbers.

Al Boarland

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 06:46:09 am »

4 probable starters didn't play a snap Saturday on defense so yeah they have 0 quality depth on defense SMH. OL and DT can't afford injury bug, everywhere else there is depth.

Were you impressed with everyone out there on D this weekend?  You could tell guys were held out.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 07:15:24 am »

Were you impressed with everyone out there on D this weekend?  You could tell guys were held out.

Actually with some starters not playing, the Defense was quite a bit better than I thought it would be.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 07:29:40 am »

I would say we are only thin on quality depth at DT and LB on defense but have good starters.  On offense, pretty much only thin at OL.  We can field a pretty good 1st string at almost every position though.  Obviously, we can always recruit better talent overall but we arenít really all that bad off if we stay injury free.

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 09:05:58 am »

Really don't think we're that bad at LB. There are young guys in the wings and I think they can play with actual coaching. They're not up to par with Greenlaw and Harris, but there are some guys that can play given the opportunity.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 09:40:13 am »

SEC level depth? Everywhere

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 09:54:19 am »

depth and numbers issues?  Very few places outside of center.

Quality depth? Well that's for MMQB forums to hash out, but very few schools have what every fan would agree is quality depth.

SEC depth at every position?  Maybe 5 schools in the nation have what fans would consider adequate there. 

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 10:09:48 am »

I would say we are only thin on quality depth at DT and LB on defense but have good starters.  On offense, pretty much only thin at OL.  We can field a pretty good 1st string at almost every position though.  Obviously, we can always recruit better talent overall but we aren’t really all that bad off if we stay injury free.

Seeing as the 2 players that started at DT Saturday are most likely backups (Agim and Capps did not play), I don't think the Hogs are as thin there as some think.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 12:09:18 pm »

Seeing as the 2 players that started at DT Saturday are most likely backups (Agim and Capps did not play), I don't think the Hogs are as thin there as some think.

Again, Iím not saying we are deficient, but if we are looking at positions where, if the starters are injured, how deep are we, OL, LB and DT would be the positions you would have to say there are at least Question marks on the depth chart.  The fact that we are moving Sosa inside at all suggests that depth is not ideal.  There are some potentially good LBís but experience is lacking and they are not equal to the starters.  OL...we all know the story there.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 08:31:35 pm »

Again, Iím not saying we are deficient, but if we are looking at positions where, if the starters are injured, how deep are we, OL, LB and DT would be the positions you would have to say there are at least Question marks on the depth chart.  The fact that we are moving Sosa inside at all suggests that depth is not ideal.  There are some potentially good LBís but experience is lacking and they are not equal to the starters.  OL...we all know the story there.

From what the coaches have said, Agim wouldn't permanently be playing inside, but would play both outside and inside and it was in large part due to the surplus of good DE's we had more than necessity at DT. I.e. something like when it's third and long and they want to get extra rushers, take out Capps and maybe also Smith, have Bell and Agim at DT with Gerald and Ramsey on the edge.

You have those four guys on the OL on a third and long situation? You really limit the options an offense has. They'll have to either run a really quick hitting pass play or leave in multiple extra people to help block.

HF#1

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 10:00:58 am »

Listening to coach we have depth issues most everywhere.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 02:19:29 pm »

O-Line and LB are the biggest needs.
Some of those redshirt freshmen linemen need to step up, like Clenin, Adcock, and Wagner. And what has happened to Ty Clary?! I thought he was suppose to be a contender for the starting center job!

The starting Lbs seem to be more like a middle LB, an outside LB on the weak side, and a glorified safety on the strong side. That might actually help quite a bit as far as depth and speed on the field. Right now it would seem the unofficial starters would be DeJon Harris at MLB, Dre Greenlaw at WLB, and Derrick Munson at SLB aka Nickelbacker (no relation to that crappy Canadian rock band).

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 05:51:05 pm »

O-Line and LB are the biggest needs.
Some of those redshirt freshmen linemen need to step up, like Clenin, Adcock, and Wagner. And what has happened to Ty Clary?! I thought he was suppose to be a contender for the starting center job!

The starting Lbs seem to be more like a middle LB, an outside LB on the weak side, and a glorified safety on the strong side. That might actually help quite a bit as far as depth and speed on the field. Right now it would seem the unofficial starters would be DeJon Harris at MLB, Dre Greenlaw at WLB, and Derrick Munson at SLB aka Nickelbacker (no relation to that crappy Canadian rock band).

Clary was in contention but as we saw in the spring game, Hays performed really well. Seems to have that locked down. Clary did well with the two's though.

Those do appear to be the starting LB's. Behind them, Morgan, Henry, and McClure make up a really talented group of 2's. Plus, we still still have some good potential in players like Walker, LaFrance, and Jean-Baptiste not to mention some excitement with the new guys such as Bumper Pool.

LB is not an area I have too much concern with for depth. Which is a rare occasion, but we are actually really good at the position right now.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 11:47:26 am »

I would expect some of those LBs buried on the depth chart to start clearing out. Guys like LaFrance, Phillips, and Fisher if they don't break into the two-deep this fall. McClure, Morgan, Henry - those guys are all walk-ons, former walk-ons, or blueshirts. Theoretically, you want actual scholarship guys filling out your two-deep, not a group of guys that didn't even get offers out of high school. I get that there are always players that develop as they get older, those diamonds in the rough. But really good college football programs don't have their game day depth charts dotted with walk-ons.  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas