• 396,059 Topics
• 22,370 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Finebaum says Luke > Morris  (Read 10800 times)

PorkSoda

Re: Finebaum says Luke > Morris
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2018, 09:44:17 pm »

I think itís a mistake to lump all media together. They all have different opinions.
sure, but to be clear, I'm mostly referring to the media that vote for the top 25.  anytime they let us in, we immediately lose and fall out. at this point they have to be pretty hesitant to list us in the top 25 (especially preseason).

Skandar Jackson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Buddy after explaining new MMQB rules to him
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2018, 09:45:36 pm »

He has been forever down on Razorback football.

We've given him every reason to be.  I'll say that. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ALLVOL

« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2018, 10:24:53 pm »

I get the attraction of the SEC. More money. Stronger conference. Better attendance. Better TV exposure. But damn I hate this snotty league. Twenty five years in the SEC and Arkansas is still treated like an outsider. It's not just Finebaum. Fans of other teams dismiss Arkansas. The media does it. The league office does it.

I wish the Big 12 would get its act together. Tell Texas they are going to have to be a part of the league, not run it. Drop the Longhorn Network and convert it to the Big 12 Network. Arkansas would be a better fit there. It would be easier for fans to travel. Plus, with the exception of the Longhorns, most of those places were fairly friendly toward our fans in the SWC days.

Maybe it's just me but from the first year in 92  I've always had the impression that the SEC looks down its nose at Arkansas.
Mike I disagree. As a UT fan and someone who has been a fan of SEC football all my life I see it totally different. I remember in 92 most people I heard talking were calling Arkansas a fit and wondering why we settled for USC instead of pushing harder for Clemson once FSU said no.
I would hate to see Hogs leave the SEC

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2018, 10:33:39 pm »

Mike I disagree. As a UT fan and someone who has been a fan of SEC football all my life I see it totally different. I remember in 92 most people I heard talking were calling Arkansas a fit and wondering why we settled for USC instead of pushing harder for Clemson once FSU said no.
I would hate to see Hogs leave the SEC

Everyone I knew at the time in Tennessee thought Arkansas was going to make an immediate impact in the SEC. They had good reason to think so.

HenduHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2018, 10:51:10 pm »

Finebum (not a typo) can kiss my arse.

He is a perfect example of my tagline below.

steveaustin69

« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2018, 10:53:17 pm »

Finebum (not a typo) can kiss my arse.

Thank you for clarifying. Joke would've sailed over bow legged baby Atticus Finch's poor head.

ALLVOL

« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2018, 11:15:06 pm »

Everyone I knew at the time in Tennessee thought Arkansas was going to make an immediate impact in the SEC. They had good reason to think so.
Arkansas has a legit program with a rich history and has had success in the SEC and should've beaten UF in Atlanta. A run of bad luck and a few down years happens to all schools. It wasn't that long ago bammer was being coached by Mike "the Breck girl" Shula, Dumbose, Franchisee etc. And they were getting hammered regularly. Then they got Saban and the rest of the league has suffered but the worm will turn as it always does.
The SEC is much better for having Arkansas in it and I think most fans across the league would agree.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2018, 12:33:54 am »

I think the reason that most media and fans outside of Arkansas don't respect Arkansas is because we really haven't done much since we've been in the SEC.  The only way to get respect is to earn it, and hopefully someday we will, but in this league it's not gonna be easy. Again, hoping that Morris and new staff can turn things around.

We have done more than Ole Miss has done during the time we have been in the SEC

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2018, 12:52:06 am »

If that's the case you may not wanna check out 247's team rankings right now. Their average may not be overly impressive, but they're still sitting at #1.

How silly is rating recruiting classes almost a year before they can sign? You surely realize they won't stay at #1 right? I think they have 2 4 stars committed as of now. They will finish in the Top 15-20 maybe, not likely any higher.

And before anyone says that will be higher than us, note that they finished ahead of us the last several years in recruiting while going 0-4 against us the last 4 years on the field..

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2018, 01:23:45 am »

I get the attraction of the SEC. More money. Stronger conference. Better attendance. Better TV exposure. But damn I hate this snotty league. Twenty five years in the SEC and Arkansas is still treated like an outsider. It's not just Finebaum. Fans of other teams dismiss Arkansas. The media does it. The league office does it.

I wish the Big 12 would get its act together. Tell Texas they are going to have to be a part of the league, not run it. Drop the Longhorn Network and convert it to the Big 12 Network. Arkansas would be a better fit there. It would be easier for fans to travel. Plus, with the exception of the Longhorns, most of those places were fairly friendly toward our fans in the SWC days.

Maybe it's just me but from the first year in 92  I've always had the impression that the SEC looks down its nose at Arkansas.

If wishes were horses.. surely you realize that Texass is going to run any conference they are in. If that were to be changed they would take their ball and go to the Pac 12 or a conference they could run. Just how it is.

It's like wishing politicians would work for the good of the country instead of their party or their perks, graft and inflated egos. Why do some care so much what Paul Finebaum thinks about us?

Most fans around the SEC and the rest of the country don't know or care much about anything beyond their team or anything that happened longer ago than the last year or two. It's all about who's on top right now.

This program finished #5 in the nation just a few years ago after the "experts" all said we'd be a bottom feeder forever after firing the media darling suck-up Nutt.

OM spun it like they "stole" Hooten away from poor lil ol' Arkinsaw to restore them to the mythical Johnny Vaught days. "Those rubes didn't know how lucky they were" I heard more than one OM fan say..

How did that work out for them after Orgeron's recruits left? It worked out quite well for us until Petrino wrecked that bike. We may have finally reached the point where we can move forward without a HC coddling the players due to that mess..

ballinhog

« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2018, 03:49:25 am »

I think Luke could be good for Ole Miss. it should be easier to win there. Mississippi has a lot of talent. I see where Finebaum could think this, but I donít agree with him

Also believe Ole Missí current recruiting class is overrated. Their current average star rating is .8685 which is slightly higher than the 18 class for them which was #31 nationally and #10 in the SEC. They have a lot more commits than everyone else thatís why itís ranked #1.

Itís like our basketball class this year, at one time was #1 because of the # of commits we had. Ole miss may have a great class right now I havenít paid much attention to who they have, but itís not the best.

Torqued pork

• While my guitar gently weeps.
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2018, 04:45:32 am »

Cheating + Winning = SEC respect

The innocence of those who still don't get it is precious.

ALLVOL

« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2018, 08:04:31 am »

Cheating + Winning = SEC respect

The innocence of those who still don't get it is precious.
What's precious is when fans of just about any school truly believes "our school doesn't cheat at all or break any rules".

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2018, 08:18:12 am »

What's precious is when fans of just about any school truly believes "our school doesn't cheat at all or break any rules".
Not as "precious" as that stupid false equivalency argument from a known cheat school. "Everybody does it" is bull darn. EVERYBODY doesnt spend hundreds of thousands per season on player payroll, but plenty do.

steveaustin69

« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2018, 08:22:02 am »

While I agree with you, it's frankly pretty bizarre you've been commenting on this site for over a decade when you don't even root for this team. Do you have an account with the other 12 non UT school message boards?

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2018, 08:39:11 am »

Saw where Finebaum was on a Bama radio station raving about Luke.  He was asked if he had to pick buying stock in Matt Luke or Chad Morris over the next five years, who would he pick, and he said Luke.  Said he has concerns about our program and what can be done here.

He great EGO gone to his head.

steveaustin69

« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2018, 08:40:20 am »

He great EGO gone to his head.

What?

jkstock04

« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2018, 08:42:29 am »

I think Luke could be good for Ole Miss. it should be easier to win there. Mississippi has a lot of talent. I see where Finebaum could think this, but I donít agree with him

Also believe Ole Missí current recruiting class is overrated. Their current average star rating is .8685 which is slightly higher than the 18 class for them which was #31 nationally and #10 in the SEC. They have a lot more commits than everyone else thatís why itís ranked #1.

Itís like our basketball class this year, at one time was #1 because of the # of commits we had. Ole miss may have a great class right now I havenít paid much attention to who they have, but itís not the best.
Itíll wind up being a very good class....top 20 I would say. Much better than what we are used to, but Iíll predict when the fat lady sings they wonít be in the same ballpark as the top 10 blue chip schools. Still though quite impressive considering how badly they have sucked, bowl bans, and a brand new head coach.

Ole Miss seems to me to be kind of a darling or staple of college football (for whatever reason) and they get some recognition because of it. Their losing seasons are downplayed and forgotten while their winnings seasons are hyped and overblown. They have beaten Bama twice in recent history....they almost deserve a trophy for that feat alone.

The hype they are getting right now with this recruiting class is fairly comical. But, on the flip side if Chad Morris were to have the #1 recruiting class right now our fans would eat it up and proclaim greatness all the same.

jkstock04

« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2018, 08:44:04 am »

BTW is Ole Miss ďgetting hammered by the NCAAĒ still a thing or did that inevitably blow over already?

greasy_corner

« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2018, 08:59:38 am »

While I agree with you, it's frankly pretty bizarre you've been commenting on this site for over a decade when you don't even root for this team. Do you have an account with the other 12 non UT school message boards?

Most of the old SEC msg boards used to be communal, with lots of visiting fans. 

It's too bad that douchebag posters that like to machine gun drivel in every thread have cut down on both the locals and the visitors. 

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2018, 09:05:19 am »

Finebaum caters to the old guard and Ole Miss is part of the old guard.

We are not, hence the bias.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2018, 09:07:29 am »

Saw where Finebaum was on a Bama radio station raving about Luke.  He was asked if he had to pick buying stock in Matt Luke or Chad Morris over the next five years, who would he pick, and he said Luke.  Said he has concerns about our program and what can be done here.

Luke's got the #1 recruiting class for 2019 right now and he's already coached in the league.  Morris hasn't really gotten a chance to show what he can do yet.  It was an easy thing for Finebaum to say, but that's about all you can say about it.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2018, 09:13:06 am »

And he lost after being up by, what, 24 points? At home.

This is the big question on Matt Luke.  They guy has always been known as a strong recruiter, but what's not known is how strong he is with Xs and Os.  He let two games (California and Arkansas) get away from him last season.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2018, 09:23:05 am »

Arkansas has a legit program with a rich history and has had success in the SEC and should've beaten UF in Atlanta. A run of bad luck and a few down years happens to all schools. It wasn't that long ago bammer was being coached by Mike "the Breck girl" Shula, Dumbose, Franchisee etc. And they were getting hammered regularly. Then they got Saban and the rest of the league has suffered but the worm will turn as it always does.
The SEC is much better for having Arkansas in it and I think most fans across the league would agree.

I agree.  I think it's been a good fit for both Arkansas and the SEC.  I think there's a lot of baby boomer mooning over the lost SWC days, but I don't think anyone 45 or younger has any interest in leaving the SEC. 

Any league with Texas in it will be inherently unstable. 

redeye

• Go Hogs Go!!!
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2018, 10:07:41 am »

I agree, but the Big 12 is a mess and I'm skeptical that will change until Texas leaves.  Because of this, I'm not in favor of leaving the SEC, but it's still nice to finally see some around here admit that other SEC schools look down on us unreasonably.  I wouldn't care a bit, except that I think it harms our program when SEC media members treat Arkansas like it doesn't belong.  I mean, how are we supposed to recruit the Southeast well, when all the media outlets in the Southeast treat Arkansas as something lesser than other SEC programs?

And it has nothing to do with how we've fared in the league, either.  While we have failed to replicate our past success in the SEC, Arkansas has still fared quite well.  In fact, outside of the "Big 6", we've fared better than anyone else since '92.

South Carolina was the backup for FSU and Miami, and might not even be in the SEC, if not for Arkansas, but because they're located on the East Coast, they're treated like a charter member.  Texas A&M is treated a little better because it's wealthy with resources and because College Station isn't far from Baton Rouge.  I'm just thankful for Missouri, because there's finally a SEC team that's actually treated worse than Arkansas.  The heart of the matter is that people in the Southeast are isolationists and they don't believe Arkansas, Missouri, and to some extent, even Texas, belongs in the Southeast.

One of the main reasons I was originally excited about joining the SEC was because it had more pull with the media than the SWC.  Unfortunately, I'm unsure if this has been beneficial or detrimental for Arkansas, due to how we're treated by the SEC media.  There were some characters in the SWC media, who were obviously biased, but by and large, the SWC media was far more respectful of Arkansas, imo.  The SWC media also had far less pull than the SEC media.

I think you can also see this bias in conference scheduling.  Arkansas always seems to have one of the toughest conference schedules, regardless of the sport.   Alabama usually has one of the easiest football schedules and it's just weird how Alabama is taken care of in that sport.  Auburn is the only SEC school with conference schedules as tough as ours and I suspect that has more to do with Auburn requesting to play other Big 6 teams regularly.

If it wasn't for Texas, I'd be all for leaving the SEC for the Big 12, but Texas just destroys everything around it.

redeye

• Go Hogs Go!!!
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2018, 10:10:54 am »

hahahahaahhahahhahhahh

You messed up the formatting for the page, making it hard to read for others.

steveaustin69

« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2018, 10:12:15 am »

You messed up the formatting for the page, making it hard to read for others.

It'll be ok, champ.

redeye

• Go Hogs Go!!!
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2018, 10:13:35 am »

It'll be ok, champ.

It would be if you'd fix your post.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2018, 10:15:08 am »

They are a national brand that marketed itself as a championship program and had the good fortune of missing on their first choice and landing on Nick Saban. Alabama also sits in the heart of fertile recruiting territory.

Donít under estimate the value of proximity to home for many recruits.
Yeah, but Arkansas kind of is too. Texas and Louisiana are fertile recruiting grounds. We just need to push more into those States. Morris has the right idea in Texas. He needs to do the same in Louisiana.

Al Boarland

« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2018, 10:21:25 am »

Yeah, but Arkansas kind of is too. Texas and Louisiana are fertile recruiting grounds. We just need to push more into those States. Morris has the right idea in Texas. He needs to do the same in Louisiana.

Texans have a lot of state pride, so it will be a tough pull. Not to mention the tactics it will require to get players out of those states.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2018, 10:34:15 am »

These two guys are not even in the same universe because coach Morris has had success at Clemson and Matt Luke has had nothing if you're comparing Arkansas to Ole Miss for this year my guess is they won't score a point at war memorial this year our defense is way too good

HogPharmer

« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2018, 12:06:03 pm »

These two guys are not even in the same universe because coach Morris has had success at Clemson and Matt Luke has had nothing if you're comparing Arkansas to Ole Miss for this year my guess is they won't score a point at war memorial this year our defense is way too good

What makes you think that?

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2018, 12:30:01 pm »

Much better.

oldhawg

« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2018, 01:06:56 pm »

What I remember is that many SEC people thought that Arkansas, with the impending and obvious demise of the SWC, would be able to convince Texas and Texas A&M to come with them to the SEC.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2018, 01:23:24 pm »

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2018, 01:23:48 pm »

BTW is Ole Miss ďgetting hammered by the NCAAĒ still a thing or did that inevitably blow over already?

I think they're on a self imposed bowl ban until 2019 with a lot of lost scholarships, but I don't think the NCAA has made a decision on them yet.

Regardless, they won't be competitive for a long time.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2018, 02:01:54 pm »

I think they're on a self imposed bowl ban until 2019 with a lot of lost scholarships, but I don't think the NCAA has made a decision on them yet.

The NCAA made their decision back in November, although Ole Miss has filed a pretty hopeless appeal.

oldhawg

« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2018, 02:02:45 pm »

I don't know, Herm Edwards says you only need about 45 players.  I suppose if you get (hire) the right ones, you could still be fairly competitive. 

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2018, 02:11:24 pm »

I remember when Danny Ford was hired.  I think it was Wally was at SEC media days in Birmingham (the details are hazy).  But anyway, being that Danny had played at Alabama and was a Bear Bryant guy Wally was talking to fans there about him.  One guy opined that he didnít think Ford would be at Arkansas all that long and would be moving on to another school in a few years.  Wally asked him where he thought that might be and the guy replied, ďSomewhere in the South...Ē

I agree with Irwin.  This conference is a bunch of snobs and is ignorant of Arkansasí history.  Worse than that though is that a lot of our fans seem to fall right in line and believe we are inferior.  For the 60s and the 70s thr SWC was in no way inferior to thr SEC and the SEC only played a six game league schedule.  LSU has more games in its history against the likes of Tulane, or even, I think, Rice than it does Georgia or a few other SEC schools.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2018, 03:01:07 pm »

I remember when Danny Ford was hired.  I think it was Wally was at SEC media days in Birmingham (the details are hazy).  But anyway, being that Danny had played at Alabama and was a Bear Bryant guy Wally was talking to fans there about him.  One guy opined that he didnít think Ford would be at Arkansas all that long and would be moving on to another school in a few years.  Wally asked him where he thought that might be and the guy replied, ďSomewhere in the South...Ē

I agree with Irwin.  This conference is a bunch of snobs and is ignorant of Arkansasí history.  Worse than that though is that a lot of our fans seem to fall right in line and believe we are inferior.  For the 60s and the 70s thr SWC was in no way inferior to thr SEC and the SEC only played a six game league schedule.  LSU has more games in its history against the likes of Tulane, or even, I think, Rice than it does Georgia or a few other SEC schools.

Recent relevance.  That's all that matters when it comes to GETTING recruits, attracting top coaches and assistants, and gaining respect.  Again, I was working cushion concession at WMS back in the mid-late 70's during the Holtz hey-day, and I remember how it was.  The key word is...was. 

We would not go back to the old SWC configuration, and have it be the same either.  Do people think TAMU, TCU, Tech, or any of those old schools would be thinking.."Uh oh, the big bad dog is back in town." 

I get it...we haven't been relevant, so we cling to the fact that in the past, we were not only relevant, but respected as one of Texas's biggest foes back when they were one of the top 5 schools in the nation.  Arguably...we were too for a few short periods in time.

We're not poor little Arkansas.  We have TONS of resources.  It just hasn't translated into SEC championships for a myriad of reasons.  As fans, all we can do is show up and cheer on the kids who were what...7, 8 years old when DMAC was terrorizing people? 

None of those kids are coming because we barely lost to TX in the '69 shootout.  Fact.     

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2018, 03:14:20 pm »

Does the sec look down at South Carolina

Nope, nor that coach that recently just quit midseason and was given a nice departure party who now is coaching again?  Oh not to mention he quit because the team he built sucked.  Still can't believe they let spurrier off the hook there. 

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2018, 04:03:41 pm »

Recent relevance.  That's all that matters when it comes to GETTING recruits, attracting top coaches and assistants, and gaining respect.  Again, I was working cushion concession at WMS back in the mid-late 70's during the Holtz hey-day, and I remember how it was.  The key word is...was. 

We would not go back to the old SWC configuration, and have it be the same either.  Do people think TAMU, TCU, Tech, or any of those old schools would be thinking.."Uh oh, the big bad dog is back in town." 

I get it...we haven't been relevant, so we cling to the fact that in the past, we were not only relevant, but respected as one of Texas's biggest foes back when they were one of the top 5 schools in the nation.  Arguably...we were too for a few short periods in time.

We're not poor little Arkansas.  We have TONS of resources.  It just hasn't translated into SEC championships for a myriad of reasons.  As fans, all we can do is show up and cheer on the kids who were what...7, 8 years old when DMAC was terrorizing people? 

None of those kids are coming because we barely lost to TX in the '69 shootout.  Fact.     

I donít think Iíve ever seen anyone assert that an 18Ėyear-old elite athlete will choose Arkansas because we barely lost to Texas in Ď69, or, for that matter, because we have a good claim to a NC in Ď64, or because we beat OU 31-6 in the Ď78 Orange Bowl, or because Darren McFadden was a two-time runner-up for the Heisman.

What all of those games, and Darren McFadden, and many more like them did, was create a statewide loyalty and tradition that makes Arkansas one of the best college football programs in the country. That history enabled Arkansas to build a fanbase capable of funding and filling a stadium like DWRRS and building academic and athletic facilities that meet SEC standards. And those are high standards.  Great football players have chosen to play for Arkansas for many years because of those standards, and they will continue to do so.

All players want to win. Thatís why Alabama generally has its choice of players. But Alabama only has 85 scholarships. Same for Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, Georgia, LSU, and other schools that, year-in-and-year-out, have inherent demographic and geographic advantages over Arkansas. Those advantages have been there for a century. Yet, somehow, Arkansas has built a football program over that century that ranks around 20-25 in college football history. The last six years havenít changed that. They may have diminished the lustre a bit, but the same foundation that existed from 2006 to 2011 is there. Players, parents, coaches, and media realize that. Arkansas wonít often beat Alabama for players on a national basis, but we are competitive with everyone within our own footprint and dominate recruiting within our borders, because we have a lot to offer.

The past is important because it is an indication of future potential. The last six years, if anything, is simply a trough that hasnít been seen at Arkansas in 65 years.  That doesnít mean we are stuck in it.

ALLVOL

« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2018, 11:21:41 am »

It's wise to read and learn before you speak. I root for Arkansas against everyone except UT. I've been to probably 20 plus games in Fville and Little Rock. I was at the SECCG against UF and have even been to several basketball games in Fville.
And no I have an account on this site and one on a UT site. I have gotten to know several posters on this site (names hidden to protect the innocent) lol

ALLVOL

« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2018, 11:23:53 am »

Not as "precious" as that stupid false equivalency argument from a known cheat school. "Everybody does it" is bull darn. EVERYBODY doesnt spend hundreds of thousands per season on player payroll, but plenty do.
PIP if UT has been cheating as you indicate then they are pretty darned bad at it. Does UT break rules? Absolutely as do just about every school. Not all on the same level but you're a very foolish person if you think otherwise.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2018, 01:55:50 pm »

I donít think Iíve ever seen anyone assert that an 18Ėyear-old elite athlete will choose Arkansas because we barely lost to Texas in Ď69, or, for that matter, because we have a good claim to a NC in Ď64, or because we beat OU 31-6 in the Ď78 Orange Bowl, or because Darren McFadden was a two-time runner-up for the Heisman.

What all of those games, and Darren McFadden, and many more like them did, was create a statewide loyalty and tradition that makes Arkansas one of the best college football programs in the country. That history enabled Arkansas to build a fanbase capable of funding and filling a stadium like DWRRS and building academic and athletic facilities that meet SEC standards. And those are high standards.  Great football players have chosen to play for Arkansas for many years because of those standards, and they will continue to do so.

All players want to win. Thatís why Alabama generally has its choice of players. But Alabama only has 85 scholarships. Same for Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, Georgia, LSU, and other schools that, year-in-and-year-out, have inherent demographic and geographic advantages over Arkansas. Those advantages have been there for a century. Yet, somehow, Arkansas has built a football program over that century that ranks around 20-25 in college football history. The last six years havenít changed that. They may have diminished the lustre a bit, but the same foundation that existed from 2006 to 2011 is there. Players, parents, coaches, and media realize that. Arkansas wonít often beat Alabama for players on a national basis, but we are competitive with everyone within our own footprint and dominate recruiting within our borders, because we have a lot to offer.

The past is important because it is an indication of future potential. The last six years, if anything, is simply a trough that hasnít been seen at Arkansas in 65 years.  That doesnít mean we are stuck in it.

I agree, and I said that in my last paragraph.  We have the resources to achieve at a higher level.  I truly believe that.  But when this discussion turned to another Big 12 debate, it ruffled my feathers a bit.  I see both sides of that argument clearly with regard to winning, proximity to recruits, and how it might be a better fit for us.  I get Mike Irwin's points.  It doesn't mean I agree 100%. 

But...the trump card is TX, and that they will go kicking and screaming from ANY situation where they can get away with a bigger slice of the pie.  Several schools have already chosen to get out of their shadow as a result.  Why do people think that would change? 

What I was trying to get at in my post is this.  You're saying we're still ranked in the top 30 programs by several different groups, and I've seen that as well.  Unfortunately, that's still putting us behind a LOT of teams that are not only in our conference, but a few in our division. 

So...if winning is what is going to turn the ship around, then Chad Morris, or whoever the coach is, is going to have to do less with more.  Period.  There's no other way around it.  And...we didn't see a spike in recruiting when BP was winning here, so it's either going to take more than two seasons, or it's even worse than we think with regard to jumping up into the top 15 in recruiting. 

Part of being a Hog fan is accepting that you're the underdog, and tempering your expectations.  Otherwise, it's going to be a pretty miserable experience if we can't at least enjoy the success that we do manage to achieve. 

I still stand by my opinion that moving to the Big 12 wouldn't translate to dominance.  Maybe we would fare better in the long run with proximity to recruits, but I don't think anyone can say that definitively.  Maybe that kid from Dallas who doesn't care for TAMU, but wants to play in the SEC, wouldn't have a reason to come to the UA if we leave.  Maybe it would be even harder to get the TX kids, because they can play closer to home at schools that are in the same conference? 

I don't know....I just know that we're trying to build up to being an elite SEC school, but we have a lot of inherent things working against us.  We also have some working for us...loyalty, no Pro teams to compete with, and pride.  I guess we're going to see if that's enough!   

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2018, 02:22:51 pm »

I agree, and I said that in my last paragraph.  We have the resources to achieve at a higher level.  I truly believe that.  But when this discussion turned to another Big 12 debate, it ruffled my feathers a bit.  I see both sides of that argument clearly with regard to winning, proximity to recruits, and how it might be a better fit for us.  I get Mike Irwin's points.  It doesn't mean I agree 100%. 

But...the trump card is TX, and that they will go kicking and screaming from ANY situation where they can get away with a bigger slice of the pie.  Several schools have already chosen to get out of their shadow as a result.  Why do people think that would change? 

What I was trying to get at in my post is this.  You're saying we're still ranked in the top 30 programs by several different groups, and I've seen that as well.  Unfortunately, that's still putting us behind a LOT of teams that are not only in our conference, but a few in our division. 

So...if winning is what is going to turn the ship around, then Chad Morris, or whoever the coach is, is going to have to do less with more.  Period.  There's no other way around it.  And...we didn't see a spike in recruiting when BP was winning here, so it's either going to take more than two seasons, or it's even worse than we think with regard to jumping up into the top 15 in recruiting. 

Part of being a Hog fan is accepting that you're the underdog, and tempering your expectations.  Otherwise, it's going to be a pretty miserable experience if we can't at least enjoy the success that we do manage to achieve. 

I still stand by my opinion that moving to the Big 12 wouldn't translate to dominance.  Maybe we would fare better in the long run with proximity to recruits, but I don't think anyone can say that definitively.  Maybe that kid from Dallas who doesn't care for TAMU, but wants to play in the SEC, wouldn't have a reason to come to the UA if we leave.  Maybe it would be even harder to get the TX kids, because they can play closer to home at schools that are in the same conference? 

I don't know....I just know that we're trying to build up to being an elite SEC school, but we have a lot of inherent things working against us.  We also have some working for us...loyalty, no Pro teams to compete with, and pride.  I guess we're going to see if that's enough!   

Itís not Top 30. It was 19 in an article published by AP on Jan.14, 2018. It was about 13 when we entered the SEC. But those numbers arenít the point. All they do is offer proof that Arkansas has great football tradition.

There are at least eight SEC programs that historically have been considered ďeliteĒ.  There is a definite hierarchy in those programs. They arenít equal - not 50 years ago and not now. In approximate order they are Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas and Texas A&M. Ole Miss might make a claim, but itís been almost 60 years since Ole Miss has really been considered a power.

I personally wasnít down in the mouth about Arkansas during Nuttís tenure and certainly not during Petrinoís. Anyone who expected Arkansas to regularly win SEC championships in 1992 wasnít realistic. Anyone who expects Chad Morris to regularly win SEC championships isnít realistic. But anyone who thinks Arkansas has suddenly become a doormat has no understanding of why Arkansas has been a great football program for generations. Arkansas has competed for SEC championships and will again. We are generally going to field good football teams.

I have no desire to go backwards. There is going to be no switch to the Big 12. Realignment/restructuring might occur for playoff/competitive purposes, but thatís a different question.

Judge the Razorbacks by the quality of the team on the field, not by whether we beat elite SEC teams on a regular basis. Enjoy every game and every season because you are proud to be an Arkansan and a Razorback. To hell with everyone else.

steveaustin69

« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2018, 04:36:21 pm »

Itís not Top 30. It was 19 in an article published by AP on Jan.14, 2018. It was about 13 when we entered the SEC. But those numbers arenít the point. All they do is offer proof that Arkansas has great football tradition.

There are at least eight SEC programs that historically have been considered ďeliteĒ.  There is a definite hierarchy in those programs. They arenít equal - not 50 years ago and not now. In approximate order they are Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas and Texas A&M. Ole Miss might make a claim, but itís been almost 60 years since Ole Miss has really been considered a power.

I personally wasnít down in the mouth about Arkansas during Nuttís tenure and certainly not during Petrinoís. Anyone who expected Arkansas to regularly win SEC championships in 1992 wasnít realistic. Anyone who expects Chad Morris to regularly win SEC championships isnít realistic. But anyone who thinks Arkansas has suddenly become a doormat has no understanding of why Arkansas has been a great football program for generations. Arkansas has competed for SEC championships and will again. We are generally going to field good football teams.

I have no desire to go backwards. There is going to be no switch to the Big 12. Realignment/restructuring might occur for playoff/competitive purposes, but thatís a different question.

Judge the Razorbacks by the quality of the team on the field, not by whether we beat elite SEC teams on a regular basis. Enjoy every game and every season because you are proud to be an Arkansan and a Razorback. To hell with everyone else.

Hahahahahahahahahaha wins and losses don't matter!

Hilarious!

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2018, 04:48:04 pm »

phadedhawg

« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2018, 05:13:43 pm »

Until we win a conference title, SEC beat writers and commentators are free to say whatever they wish.  We came close to having a great moment in 1998 and we set it on the ground.  Also that was during a period of time when Bama was a dumpster fire. 

Petrino got us to #3 for 30 minutes and then reality showed up to stomp us back down into our place.  The year we were ranked #3, the gulf between us and Bama and LSU was still significant.  Bama beat us 38-14 and LSU scored 41 unanswered points to beat us 41-17.  We did bounce back and won the Cotton Bowl against a better than average KSU.  It was a year that created a lot of hype heading into next season but we all know what happened.  Looking back it's fun to imagine that we were about to break through but the previous year's efforts against the big boys (Bama & LSU) say otherwise. 

So I get why SEC media, other fanbases, coaches, and everyone else have their doubts about Arkansas.  I'd like to think that by the time my child has grown old we will have won one but until then....woo pig sooie baby!!!

Possible Oatmeal

« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2018, 05:26:49 pm »

Wow.

All these people that want to run off to the Big 12 or whatever in this thread.  They finally beat it out of you guys, did they?

Sheesh.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas