• 10,012,762 Posts
• 401,363 Topics
• 22,971 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not really impressed with our QBs  (Read 4339 times)

Hog in Iowa

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Not really impressed with our QBs
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2018, 03:56:06 pm »

The "only 12 practices" argument holds up for not knowing all the offense, etc.  It does NOT hold up for not getting your feet set before throwing the ball.  Neither Storey nor Kelly did/do a good job at that.  Maybe that comes after 1,000 practices.  I wasn't impressed with either one.  I keep waiting for Storey to show me a glimpse but am still waiting.  Hyatt may have more upside in this offense and could cause opposing defenses more of a problem.  Don't see much of a threat from the other two, IMHO.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2018, 04:14:46 pm »

again if the older guys are not the right fit, go young, build from the ground up.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Nashville Fan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Welcome to next year!
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2018, 04:20:51 pm »

AR hired Chad Morris on Dec 6th.
Coach Morris announced staff on Jan 9th.
National signing day was Feb 7th.
First practice started on Mar 1st.
AR doesn't have a QB that has played a season as starter.
AR is implementing a polar opposite offensive scheme than last year.
There is a lot that had to be done in 4 months.
So after 38 days from the start of practice, it is a little unrealistic to have an impression other than wow it's amazing they could even have a spring game this early.

alohawg

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2018, 05:04:45 pm »

Where do you folks see this Noland kid fitting in the future?

Soooie21

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2018, 05:12:50 pm »

Kelly and Storey are a bad fit for this offense..Hyatt looked the best...don't be surprised if a freshman is the starter..

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2018, 05:48:09 pm »

I did like how fast the plays came together with Hyatt. And yes many plays were slow to develop and I can bet the coaches were not happy. I agree that 12 practices and a new play book with the speed coach wants is tough on all the players after the change in the offensive scheme. Even last year Cole did not seem to have a sense of urgency. I bet it gets before fall. Ty looked like he spent time getting players aligned before the snap. Also think about the QB's waiting for the play from the sideline. I could be that with the new offense the players were a little confused about the play. We will have the answers by the end of fall camp.

Al Boarland

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2018, 05:49:03 pm »

The lack of velocity on Ty Storey's passes is still a concern. Kelley had more zip on his passes which means they got to the receivers quicker, giving the DB's less time to react and make the play.

Exactly. The arm strength isn’t there.

From Tusk Till Dawn

• Senior
  • Facts are stubborn things...
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2018, 06:25:12 pm »

Oh, for sure. I think Storey has talent. He was a 4 star QB with a nice offer list. And you're 100% right, it was always going to be an Allen while they were here, because they were both very talented.

Going into the spring game, I thought Cole would maybe be able to use his arm strength and height to his advantage, but Storey looked more comfortable to me.
Storey did seem to have a better grasp to me, he was directing traffic, correcting the rb’s when they lined up wrong.  And maybe not worth much but he did start the game.  That likely wasnt because of a coin flip.  On the otherhand, the receivers dropped a few of Coles that seemed like good throws.  Wish them both the best cause we need one of them to make a statement this year.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2018, 08:41:49 pm »

Just watched the game on television for the first time. I saw 5 QBs who can win games for Arkansas.

lakecityhog

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2018, 09:24:19 pm »

We may or may not have the ideal QB for the Morris system although Storey says this is more like what he played in High School, but do we have a QB that can win 6 games this season? I think we do, I think Kelley can lead us to 6 wins based on what I saw out of him last year. I THINK Storey can lead us to 6 wins this season.

To me the key for the QB for THIS season is to NOT lose any games. Make the opponent beat our defense, don't give up the pick 6, don't give them a short field and don't go 3-N-out very much. Sustain enough drives to rest the defense, make the RIGHT reads, and take advantage of anything our defense gives us. Score TD's when the opportunity is there, we CANNOT count on field goals winning games, get 6 every time.

I think Morris is looking for the guy that makes the RIGHT read most often. I think he is looking for the guy that makes the fewest mistakes. I think he is looking fro the guy that he believes will put us in the best position to win those 6 games.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2018, 10:09:19 pm »

In the very limited scrimmage.  Let's hope they really lock on to our new scheme and improve over the summer.  I want our QB to make better decisions, get us positive yards on every down, move the chains and keep the ball away from our opponent.  In this offense our QB passing pct should be over 60% with passes all over the field with dings to the RBs and TEs for short gains instead of passing into coverages. 

I did not see real good decisions from our QBs in the 1st half.
 We might see Noland or Jones getting a long look in the fall.  I thought Enos was a better judge of talent.
So who should have gone first in the spring game? Daulton Hyatt?  Austin Aune ? Because those are their options right now beyond Cole Kelley and Ty Storey.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2018, 10:12:02 pm »

Kelly and Storey are a bad fit for this offense..Hyatt looked the best...don't be surprised if a freshman is the starter..
Not going up against the same players. The second half was used to get backup players (mostly three's) reps.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2018, 10:26:11 pm »

So who should have gone first in the spring game? Daulton Hyatt?  Austin Aune ? Because those are their options right now beyond Cole Kelley and Ty Storey.

Any one of those guys can play at this level. Ty Storey is a 4-star redshirt junior. Cole Kelley is a redshirt sophomore who Enos signed early. Dalton Hyatt is a redshirt freshman on his second Spring who was 147 on ESPN’s Top 300. Austin Aune was a 3-star 2012 TCU signee. The Yankees paid him $1M as the 89th pick at SS/CF.  He is a serious 25-year-old player who can spin the ball.

We have a lot of good QBs on this roster.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2018, 10:45:50 pm »

Not worried about QB, I'm worried we don't have elite speed at receiver.

sickboy

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2018, 11:28:14 pm »

I agree. Fans start analyzing players just on a few snaps in a spring game without no knowledge of the 14 practices behind closed doors. If one thinks about it, it's almost ridiculous.

It’s like an NFL exhibition, if that exhibition was in the off-season before the draft.

HogFoo

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2018, 11:47:28 pm »

I wasnt too impressed with our QBs. I am hoping that it was weather related. It did look like the QBs were having to direct the players as much as coaches. So it looks like we still have a long way to go.  I really wish that Noland had tried to come in early. Had been a midterm grad, but he wanted to play baseball.  Which is fine.  I still feel that Noland is the long-term eventual starter. And, he may even get in 3/4 unti next season. Kid is a winner and already knows the offense because he basically ran it at greenwood already.  Again, i wish he had been a midterm grad and was able to fo springpractice.  Id say he would definitely had had a shot to be the opening day starter.  And who knows, he may come in August and light things up then making coaches turn their heads.  One thing is for sure, our offensive guys need to go over the playbook.  Work on timing, work on doing things quicker.  Our defense looked better than it had in a while already.  Which part of it was due to our offense not being too on point.  But , the defense was looking improved.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2018, 09:28:35 am »

In the very limited scrimmage.  Let's hope they really lock on to our new scheme and improve over the summer.  I want our QB to make better decisions, get us positive yards on every down, move the chains and keep the ball away from our opponent.  In this offense our QB passing pct should be over 60% with passes all over the field with dings to the RBs and TEs for short gains instead of passing into coverages. 

I did not see real good decisions from our QBs in the 1st half.
 We might see Noland or Jones getting a long look in the fall.   I thought Enos was a better judge of talent.

I really thought Morris would go after a JUCO QB.  Was very surprised he didn't.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2018, 09:39:28 am »

The QB's were basically playing two hand touch.  They couldn't really scramble with any success which lets the defense key on the receivers.  We'll be fine when we've had more than 12 practices.  There will be a huge difference when the defense has to respect the QB's running ability. 

Paul

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2018, 01:00:30 pm »

What about public floggings?
they'd be more entertaining than the spring game

Paul

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2018, 01:02:39 pm »

In his one series i liked Aune's arm strength

havok

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2018, 02:15:15 pm »

Well i don't (Make that no longer) come back from Spring game and go.. Wow were are "Awesome at position X, or looked pretty bad at Position Y. 

In the past, I have seen players look like certified 100% All-American candidates after Spring..only for the first games of the season, not really show much...and not much more the rest of season.  Also, that in reverse... players who looked like they probably shouldn't see the field for 1-2 more years at least, by performance in spring, only to come out in fall and impress.

QB's will have the summer to flesh out all kinds of things.  Like building a cohesion with Receivers by coordinating/doing their own QB Led practices..(Which will also show leadership and build confidence).  A Confident QB, is a guy who can Stand Tall in the pocket..to not have to mentally think too much.. about how should my feet be, can i feel confident to look off a receiver to draw safeties away and then find my main target.......and feel the flow of going from Option 1 to option 2 or 3 in passing tree without getting overloaded in thinking.  Last year.. I would think the majority of QB led summer practices with receivers, was done by the known and already solidified starter Austin Allen..with little room for the others to grab guys to practice with. 

I'll hold final judgement for Fall and see how the first game looks. 

Warrior Way 22

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2018, 03:25:06 pm »

I thought CK looked pretty good. I don't think anybody questions his arm talent, but his mobility and touch (maybe even accuracy to an extent) have been called into question. I thought he showed in the scrimmage that he's taken strides in those areas. I thought he moved out of the pocket on several occasions and delivered catchable balls on the run. He also looked really good when he stepped into his throws with the exception of 2 that stick out to me...one was an overthrow on a deep ball that would've been a TD and the other he threw it late over the middle in the endzone and it could've easily been picked. But he made some nice throws too. Threw a nice back shoulder throw to Woods and then followed it up with a nice deep ball to him that he dropped. I think CK is going to be the guy...and I think he's going to thrive.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2018, 04:27:58 pm »

In his one series i liked Aune's arm strength

I had no idea who number 17 was in pre-game warmups but pulled up the roster to find out after watching him throw a few times. Then I Googled “Austin Aune” and felt like I’d found a Benji in an old coat pocket:

https://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Aune-278

And then there’s this:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/baseballheadlines/2012/06/05/argyle-s-austin-aune-packs-up-dorm-heads-off-to-yankees-farm-system

The Yankees don’t pay million dollar signing bonuses to center fielders without wheels.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2018, 05:40:30 pm »

Not sure what you would want, Kelly was 10-19 had 2 easy drops and if not for a great play by the DB another 40+ yarder. I thought he looked real good for 12 practices in a new system. Spring games are what they are. Hyatt was impressive but man how can someone be in a Div I program for about a year and still weight 180 something pounds? at 6'4". SEC linebackers and DE would put him in the hospital. Those thinking he could start need to think again.

I am worried about empty possessions. 3 and outs.  QBs not moving the team.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2018, 09:07:57 pm »

Where do you folks see this Noland kid fitting in the future?

Connor Noland looks almost like a clone of Brandon. NFL level arm strength though not quite the rocket of some others. Good set of wheels but would rather pass the ball. Lightning release with really good accuracy. Even have similar size.

If Noland doesn't end up starting here, it'll be because we have signed some exceptional qb's that will be playing better than BA eventually ended up playing.

oldgoat

« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2018, 10:05:47 pm »

I agree CK threw faster passes, but I believe the weather did effect all QBs.  I know my wife and I froze our tuckuses off. 
I also believe our DBs had a big effect.  I have not seen them that fired up in a long time.  They were fired up and having fun, as were the defensive staff.
I think a summer of QB/receiver timing work will clean things up, (Coach Morris did not look happy at times).  This staff will get things going in the right direction.

lakecityhog

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2018, 10:23:36 pm »

I just watched the 1st half again on ESPN and both QB's looked pretty good. If Kelley had Storey's command of the O or Storey had Kelley's arm we would be SET! It appeared to me that Storey made the right read quicker and correctly more often than Kelley. But, Kelley was able to squeeze the ball into tighter coverage.

On one particular drive Storey had a 3rd and medium play, a rollout to the right side. He had an open field for a SURE  first down run, but he chose to throw the ball. I'm not sure what Morris/Craddock told the QB's about running the ball during the scrimmage, but that was one of those plays where the QB taking off keeps a drive alive and that could be the drive that decides the game. To me that comes under the heading of "taking what the defense gives you" and sometimes that is the best choice.

Both had a couple of busted plays, not sure if they "called" the play wrong or a backfield player just lined up wrong.  That is to be expected but it still hurts.

hawgtime

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2018, 10:39:32 pm »

Well i don't (Make that no longer) come back from Spring game and go.. Wow were are "Awesome at position X, or looked pretty bad at Position Y. 

In the past, I have seen players look like certified 100% All-American candidates after Spring..only for the first games of the season, not really show much...and not much more the rest of season.  Also, that in reverse... players who looked like they probably shouldn't see the field for 1-2 more years at least, by performance in spring, only to come out in fall and impress.

QB's will have the summer to flesh out all kinds of things.  Like building a cohesion with Receivers by coordinating/doing their own QB Led practices..(Which will also show leadership and build confidence).  A Confident QB, is a guy who can Stand Tall in the pocket..to not have to mentally think too much.. about how should my feet be, can i feel confident to look off a receiver to draw safeties away and then find my main target.......and feel the flow of going from Option 1 to option 2 or 3 in passing tree without getting overloaded in thinking.  Last year.. I would think the majority of QB led summer practices with receivers, was done by the known and already solidified starter Austin Allen..with little room for the others to grab guys to practice with. 

I'll hold final judgement for Fall and see how the first game looks. 

good point on the QB led practices with receivers. Wonder who will step up and will they share practices or will they hold separate "throwing sessions"?

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2018, 01:04:46 am »

Just watched the game on television for the first time. I saw 5 QBs who can win games for Arkansas.
Maybe it will be quarterback by committee.  Alternate them on every offensive series.

Seriously, I don't see a real winner from any of the five.  I think Jerry Jones' grandson will be the starter this fall.  The kid's a winner...........

razorbackinva

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2018, 07:40:28 am »

Since many of you love Auburn's coach, maybe if we compared the SEC West Champions spring game to ours to see just what we missed...  Then again we looked so much better and we didn't have nearly the fumbles...  it's just a way for us to see our Hogs on the field.  Don't get all caught up in it.  After the last few seasons we have had... it could be worse.  I am excited for the new staff and to see how we will do without an Allen for QB.

Link to Auburn's Spring game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH3vNu98ASs

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2018, 08:49:59 am »

So when Brandon Allen was our starting QB, you guys thought Austin was better and should have been the starter.  When Austin was the starter, the same people were screaming for Cole Kelley.  Now that Cole Kelley is the probable starter (due to actual game experience), the same crowd is screaming for the guy that is probably going to be our third stringer.

Strange world we live in...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas