• 10,012,751 Posts
• 401,363 Topics
• 22,971 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Not really impressed with our QBs  (Read 4338 times)

nwahogfan1

Not really impressed with our QBs
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:14:14 am »

In the very limited scrimmage.  Let's hope they really lock on to our new scheme and improve over the summer.  I want our QB to make better decisions, get us positive yards on every down, move the chains and keep the ball away from our opponent.  In this offense our QB passing pct should be over 60% with passes all over the field with dings to the RBs and TEs for short gains instead of passing into coverages. 

I did not see real good decisions from our QBs in the 1st half.
 We might see Noland or Jones getting a long look in the fall.   I thought Enos was a better judge of talent.

Deep Shoat

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
Re: Not really impressed with our QBs
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:27:11 am »

12 practices...

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

rljjr

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:31:46 am »

In the very limited scrimmage.  Let's hope they really lock on to our new scheme and improve over the summer.  I want our QB to make better decisions, get us positive yards on every down, move the chains and keep the ball away from our opponent.  In this offense our QB passing pct should be over 60% with passes all over the field with dings to the RBs and TEs for short gains instead of passing into coverages. 

We might see Noland or Jones getting a long look in the fall.   I thought Enos was a better judge of talent.

Wait, how can you say you think Enos is a better judge of talent? He's the one who recruited the guys you thought weren't good after 12 practices. Yet, you think the newcomers signed by Morris might get a long look in the fall?

I am perplexed, flummoxed even. Perhaps I'm missing something.

younghog

• Keep em coming
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:35:57 am »

I saw good throws and a lot of mobility from those I expected to see.

Dalton however looked very good [not naming him the starter] but our future is bright @ QB.. He is light and has those bird legs.. But nice release, spin and velocity.

GO HOGS

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:36:32 am »

This is why public spring games shouldn't exist.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 08:44:29 am »

He's the one who recruited the guys

I think that is his point although I donít agree with his post.

1highhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 08:46:21 am »

Wait, how can you say you think Enos is a better judge of talent? He's the one who recruited the guys you thought weren't good after 12 practices. Yet, you think the newcomers signed by Morris might get a long look in the fall?

This ^^^^!

hawg1221

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 08:49:06 am »

I agree. Fans start analyzing players just on a few snaps in a spring game without no knowledge of the 14 practices behind closed doors. If one thinks about it, it's almost ridiculous.

jkstock04

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 08:55:12 am »

The only thing that was a pleasant surprise skill player wise was the play and speed of Hyatt. Other than the boneheaded move of not throwing the ball away and taking a 10+ yard sack he played pretty flawless. Of course I guess that was against 2nd and 3rd teamers so who knows.

Qb is a huge question mark going into this summer. 

ZERO

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 08:57:51 am »

I appreciated Morris explaining beforehand that the offense was going to be very vanilla by design. He says only a quarter of the offense has actually been learned by the players at this point. I can respect that kind of honesty, and we all know spring games don't matter, anyway. It's just something to give the fans a little shot in the arm for the coming months.

Don't worry too much about it, yet. We're already looking at a season where we know going in that the goal is just making a bowl game, so obviously the spring game - which was admittedly supposed to be exceptionally limited, isn't going to wow anyone.

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 09:02:12 am »

Not sure what you would want, Kelly was 10-19 had 2 easy drops and if not for a great play by the DB another 40+ yarder. I thought he looked real good for 12 practices in a new system. Spring games are what they are. Hyatt was impressive but man how can someone be in a Div I program for about a year and still weight 180 something pounds? at 6'4". SEC linebackers and DE would put him in the hospital. Those thinking he could start need to think again.

Capt. Hamm

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 09:05:54 am »

Dalton however looked very good [not naming him the starter] but our future is bright @ QB.. He is light and has those bird legs.. But nice release, spin and velocity.

GO HOGS
Was he playing against second and third teams? If so, maybe why he looked good.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 09:06:30 am »

I thought the qbs did fine. WRs still arenít helping the qbs enough by going to get the football.  Lost too easily to DBs. 

Hyatt does look the part of an RPO qb.  But he isnít going to play this season unless Kelley and Story get hurt. Kelley is the obvious starter. Story looks like a good backup and Iím sure Noland will get on the mix to not RS.  Lil Jones will RS.

EastTNHog

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 09:10:31 am »

Was he playing against second and third teams? If so, maybe why he looked good.
He was also playing WITH 2ís and 3ís. For some reason, this goes unnoticed in the argument.

Cure

• Hogfan at Ohio State Univ
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 09:43:36 am »

Not sure what you would want, Kelly was 10-19 had 2 easy drops and if not for a great play by the DB another 40+ yarder. I thought he looked real good for 12 practices in a new system. Spring games are what they are. Hyatt was impressive but man how can someone be in a Div I program for about a year and still weight 180 something pounds? at 6'4". SEC linebackers and DE would put him in the hospital. Those thinking he could start need to think again.
Ask Lamar Jackson.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 09:47:28 am »

You missed it alright. He said he thought Enos was a better judge of talent than he apparently is; heís blaming Enos for us having shite QBs, in his opinion

theFlyingHog

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 09:49:03 am »

Why not take the next step and say that fan message boards shouldnít exist? Thatís the path youíre going down with a post like that

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 10:09:22 am »

Ask Lamar Jackson.

Lamar Jackson is 6'3 and 200 pounds if your referring to Hyatt. that's 1 inch shorter and about 15 pounds heaver.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 10:13:53 am »

Why not take the next step and say that fan message boards shouldnít exist? Thatís the path youíre going down with a post like that

Because there's a huge difference saying "I'm not really impressed with our QBs" after viewing a body of work encompassing a 12-game season than there is saying "I'm not really impressed with our QBs" after one scrimmage and a dozen practices under a completely new coaching staff.

Deep Shoat

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 10:23:56 am »

jkstock04

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 10:28:03 am »

Because there's a huge difference saying "I'm not really impressed with our QBs" after a body of work encompassing a 12-game season than there is saying "I'm not really impressed with our QBs" after one scrimmage.
What kind of transformation do you think is possible between now and September as far as Storey and Kelley goes? Whatís the potential/upside or best case scenerio? Iím not seeing it.

Ya, I see logic in these players improving...but how much is all relative to talent potential in this specific system. Iím having a hard time picturing Cole Kelley having a 100% transformation from now to September. Mainly what I saw were flashes of late fall 2017 and Iím afraid thatíll be the case going into this fall.

I donít know that heís a good fit for this offense...but on the flip side itís tough to argue heís not gonna be the best option we have at qb. Tough to imagine a true freshman coming in here and winning the job. 6 wins still an attainable goal but I thought these QBs and wide outs would look better in this offense than what we saw.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 10:31:51 am »

What kind of transformation do you think is possible between now and September as far as Storey and Kelley goes? Whatís the potential/upside or best case scenerio? Iím not seeing it.

Ya, I see logic in these players improving...but how much is all relative to talent potential in this specific system. Iím having a hard time picturing Cole Kelley having a 100% transformation from now to September. Mainly what I saw were flashes of late fall 2017 and Iím afraid thatíll be the case going into this fall.

I donít know that heís a good fit for this offense...but on the flip side itís tough to argue heís not gonna be the best option we have at qb. Tough to imagine a true freshman coming in here and winning the job. 6 wins still an attainable goal but I thought these QBs and wide outs would look better in this offense than what we saw.

Comfortability in the system as a whole. Understanding the system better. Seeing how and why things work the way they do. I don't think that can be underestimated by any means.

Kelley can throw the ball. We know that. We've also seen him run a little bit, and it's really not bad for a guy his size.

Knowing who is doing what and why and where any given player is going to be on a play is huge. They're a dozen practices in right now.

A lot of learning to be done by fall, and I think that'll help a lot.

HF#1

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 10:47:56 am »

This offense is in its infancy from a development and installation standpoint. To criticize it now or pass judgement is a mouth breathing exercise.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 11:08:00 am »

Let me explain, I did not like the talent out there and expected more from Enos.

Bobby Bobo

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 11:12:07 am »

I've got a feeling Ty Storey is going to carve his name into Razorback memories this year

His throwing motion had been a concern and I think that's been tweaked for the better

Deep Shoat

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 11:12:28 am »

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 11:18:01 am »

12 practices...

If the offense had lit up the defense then we'd be hearing about how bad our defense is.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 11:20:45 am »

Let me explain, I did not like the talent out there and expected more from Enos.

Dan Enos has Nick Saban's endorsement, so much so that he hired him to his friggin' staff.

Forgive me, I'll take Saban's endorsement over your disappointed expectations.

PorkRinds

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 11:34:16 am »

Dan Enos has Nick Saban's endorsement, so much so that he hired him to his friggin' staff.

Forgive me, I'll take Saban's endorsement over your disappointed expectations.
Enos was the best coach on our previous staff IMO. Weíd have faired better with him as HC.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 11:38:34 am »

Enos was the best coach on our previous staff IMO. Weíd have faired better with him as HC.

100% agree. I think some egos took over and Enos/our offense suffered as a result.

jkstock04

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 11:42:21 am »

If the offense had lit up the defense then we'd be hearing about how bad our defense is.
Itís the same thing every spring the past few years. This movie has been played for 5 or 6 years in a row.

Concerns from spring game...homers shoot it down and say you would have to be an idiot to take anything from spring and apply it to coming season...concerns are validated on field come season. Funny you mention defense, I remember like yesterday that being a concern in the spring past couple of years and this exact scenerio play out lol. ďYou guys are idiots taking anything concrete from a spring practice game, defense will be fine.Ē

I understand we have a different and better coach now, but Iím beginning to question the current skill players ability to make this transition a success.

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 11:50:00 am »

Itís the same thing every spring the past few years. This movie has been played for 5 or 6 years in a row.

Concerns from spring game...homers shoot it down and say you would have to be an idiot to take anything from spring and apply it to coming season...concerns are validated on field come season. Funny you mention defense, I remember like yesterday that being a concern in the spring past couple of years and this exact scenerio play out lol. ďYou guys are idiots taking anything concrete from a spring practice game, defense will be fine.Ē

I understand we have a different and better coach now, but Iím beginning to question the current skill players ability to make this transition a success.

I don't understand how any of this is relevant to what I said?

BearsBisonsBoars

• Senior
  • Arguing with computers for a living
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 11:54:47 am »

Slippery slope fallacy

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 11:56:55 am »

Pissers & moaners will always find something to bitch about no matter the quality or talent level, or the fact that these guys have had precious few practices and little personal association with an entirely new coaching staff.....

HF#1

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 11:59:41 am »

Yeah, darned if we do, darned if we don't. It was a Spring Game. It was something to put on film for them to coach on. There was good, there was bad. I thought it was obvious that both sides of the ball are still developing and therefor, pretty even.

Ramsey will be an asset
Whaley will be an asset
Hope Jared is ready to go
Hyatt's ceiling is high
Storey and Kelley both have a long way to go.

That is what I took from it. 

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 12:23:52 pm »

I've got a feeling Ty Storey is going to carve his name into Razorback memories this year

His throwing motion had been a concern and I think that's been tweaked for the better

The lack of velocity on Ty Storey's passes is still a concern. Kelley had more zip on his passes which means they got to the receivers quicker, giving the DB's less time to react and make the play.

Athog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2018, 12:30:56 pm »

Well these were his guys !

rljjr

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 12:32:16 pm »

You missed it alright. He said he thought Enos was a better judge of talent than he apparently is; heís blaming Enos for us having shite QBs, in his opinion

Ohhhhhhh ... well that makes more sense. Thanks.

jdlew

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 12:53:12 pm »

I'm all in with the new coaches...But Enos is a good coach...But we are going to miss the Allen Brothers...i can promise you they were better than anything we saw Saturday..and I can also promise you I hope I'm WRONG...Storey and Kelly will give us all they got...

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 12:54:18 pm »

Concerns from spring game...homers shoot it down and say you would have to be an idiot to take anything from spring and apply it to coming season.
..concerns are validated on field come season. Funny you mention defense, I remember like yesterday that being a concern in the spring past couple of years and this exact scenerio play out lol. ďYou guys are idiots taking anything concrete from a spring practice game, defense will be fine.Ē

You do get that we won't be playing ourselves in the fall right? That's one thing that makes it so hard to evaluate spring practices... it's an INTRASQUAD game.

When that LB closes in on the ball carrier, it may be his roommate or best friend. If we get Hudson Henry, his brother Hayden could be tackling or covering him in a spring game.

Do you really think they're going to lower the boom on their teammate the way they would a stranger?

The whole spring practice thing is a circular (jerkicular?) debate. If we look great on one side of the ball or even both, the naysayers say: "but we were playing against ourselves and we suck!" or some such nonsense. "It means nothing" they'll intone.

I submit to you that it means very little to nothing if things look ragged in the spring with a new HC, almost new staff and new systems. Now, if the QBs and WRs look like that vs E. Ill. or CSU, that wouldn't bode well for the season, but that's a long time from now.

I can see Hyatt being the new "anointed one" at QB, taking over Rafe Peavey's old spot as the superstar the coaches bear a grudge against and won't play because his last name is not Allen..

Hyatt has potential, but he MUST get bigger and stronger to be a starting QB at this level. You surely have seen the way Alabama mauls opposing QBs, often well after the ball is out without a flag. He wouldn't be wearing a no contact jersey in a real game..

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 01:08:40 pm »

What about public floggings?

HF#1

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 01:20:19 pm »

The lack of velocity on Ty Storey's passes is still a concern. Kelley had more zip on his passes which means they got to the receivers quicker, giving the DB's less time to react and make the play.

It's give and take with both QB's. Kelley lacks touch as much as Storey lacks velocity. Personally, I think it is Storey's job to lose. He looks more comfortable running the offense. Kelley looks like a giraffe on skates.

Tejano Jawg

• Show me.
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 01:47:43 pm »

That is the age-old Red-White game questionÖis the offense good or is the defense bad? Or vice versa.

What the coaches are looking for can be very different than what we see. I've seen some pretty good secondary play, but again, what does that mean? They're getting better?Öor our passing game isn't clicking yet?

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2018, 01:57:57 pm »

Yeah, darned if we do, darned if we don't. It was a Spring Game. It was something to put on film for them to coach on. There was good, there was bad. I thought it was obvious that both sides of the ball are still developing and therefor, pretty even.

Ramsey will be an asset
Whaley will be an asset
Hope Jared is ready to go
Hyatt's ceiling is high
Storey and Kelley both have a long way to go.

That is what I took from it.

Yep, and I'm not meaning to sound passive aggressive here, but the guys we know can play we saw they could play. The guys that we don't know anything about, or very little about, have left us with lots of questions.

Honestly I'd be pretty concerned if Ty Storey lit up our defense for 300 yards or something. He was 3rd string last year.

HF#1

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 02:12:06 pm »

Yep, and I'm not meaning to sound passive aggressive here, but the guys we know can play we saw they could play. The guys that we don't know anything about, or very little about, have left us with lots of questions.

Honestly I'd be pretty concerned if Ty Storey lit up our defense for 300 yards or something. He was 3rd string last year.

Just to throw in another factor, I'm not sure being 3rd string had everything to do with his skill level or ability to run the offense. There was never a doubt Brandon Allen was going to be the starter followed by Austin. This offense is basically what Storey ran in High School. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with the job. At this point, I'd be alright with it.

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2018, 02:19:11 pm »

It seemed like the QBs struggled in the game.  When I looked at AA stats from 2016, he was 13-19 for 141 which is very similar to Kelly and Storey's stats.

I'm on the fence. QB play just felt shaky for a variety of reasons.  Hopefully, more reps, larger playbook and familiarity with Joe Craddock will transform the offense, and our confidence in the QB.   

HF#1

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2018, 02:21:34 pm »

It seemed like the QBs struggled in the game.  When I looked at AA stats from 2016, he was 13-19 for 141 which is very similar to Kelly and Storey's stats.

I'm on the fence. QB play just felt shaky for a variety of reasons.  Hopefully, more reps, larger playbook and familiarity with Joe Craddock will transform the offense, and our confidence in the QB.   

What was your expectation? That is the real question. I think the QB play was on par with the implementation of a new offensive scheme combined with the reverting back to a more comfy defensive scheme.

This offense will look completely different September 1st than it did April 7th.

woodhog14

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2018, 02:41:19 pm »

12 practices...

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2018, 03:03:37 pm »

Just to throw in another factor, I'm not sure being 3rd string had everything to do with his skill level or ability to run the offense. There was never a doubt Brandon Allen was going to be the starter followed by Austin. This offense is basically what Storey ran in High School. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with the job. At this point, I'd be alright with it.

Oh, for sure. I think Storey has talent. He was a 4 star QB with a nice offer list. And you're 100% right, it was always going to be an Allen while they were here, because they were both very talented.

Going into the spring game, I thought Cole would maybe be able to use his arm strength and height to his advantage, but Storey looked more comfortable to me.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2018, 03:03:53 pm »

What was clear to me...without a TRUE dual threat QB this offense will struggle. I expect a lot transfers this summer. I like Kelly but not sure he can run this offense but I like his arm the best.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas