• 396,059 Topics
• 22,370 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyatt will beat out of everybody come fall  (Read 9201 times)

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
Re: Hyatt will beat out of everybody come fall
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2018, 12:54:57 pm »

Hyatt looked pretty good. Not physically ready for SEC, though.

Agreed. It'll take some time but if he's able to gain some weight and arm strength while improving his passing, he could be a deadly QB down the road.

Tusker4life

• Varsity
  • Hogville member since Jan 19, 2007, 10:30:08 am
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2018, 08:46:54 pm »

Hyatt reminded me of a skinny Matt Jones.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hawgtime

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2018, 09:27:09 pm »

I liked him better than ty

me too. Ty looked slow and unsure of what was going on.  I hope the competition stays open and we get the best of the best.

EastTNHog

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2018, 09:52:08 pm »

In terms of what CCM prefers in a QB, Hyatt is the guy. May take him a year or two to get there, but even the announcers were saying he was the best looking QB at practice.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2018, 06:51:41 am »

if a younger qb is the best option, to build the program around, then I am all for it.  I don't like playing a stop gap guy. if that is the case

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2018, 07:16:53 am »

if a younger qb is the best option, to build the program around, then I am all for it.  I don't like playing a stop gap guy. if that is the case
They are all stop gap guys i think. we'll see , i guess.

tomarkansawyer

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2018, 07:21:14 am »

there could be too much collateral damage if he is named the starter. They could potentially lose both guys above him and that would leave them with a RS Freshman QB and 2 true freshmen as backups. Not a recipe for success. That's the kind of bonehead call BB made his 1st year. He should have named Mitchell the starter and given BA every 3rd series. Having Mitchell that year could have been the difference in 1 or 2 games.  We can never know, but we do know they would have been better off having Mitchell then not having him. Just like now, if we lost Kelly or Story or both, it could really impact stability. I just see it more as a big picture issue. But Hyatt did look very fluid running the ball.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2018, 09:17:46 am »

Hear me out here. Morris doesn't mind playing freshmen, and I think Morris played more underclassmen than a majority of the country. The guy can move, he's got a quick trigger arm and he's silky smooth. With all QB's learning the playbook at the same time he has a chance to win this job in the fall!

Only if Morris is going to the wishbone and is only going to throw 2 passes a game like Army or Navy

Hogindasticks

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2018, 09:53:29 am »

Jones is a 4.6 runner and scrambles heavily.....is much better built for taking hits...but is alot shorter

HF#1

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2018, 10:51:02 am »

He won't win the job but he will be in the mix. From the one drive he conducted, he seems to be the best fit for this vanilla version of the offense. Needs to add weight/strength and memorize the playbook.

KlubhouseKonnected

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2018, 11:00:37 am »

there could be too much collateral damage if he is named the starter. They could potentially lose both guys above him and that would leave them with a RS Freshman QB and 2 true freshmen as backups. Not a recipe for success. That's the kind of bonehead call BB made his 1st year. He should have named Mitchell the starter and given BA every 3rd series. Having Mitchell that year could have been the difference in 1 or 2 games.  We can never know, but we do know they would have been better off having Mitchell then not having him. Just like now, if we lost Kelly or Story or both, it could really impact stability. I just see it more as a big picture issue. But Hyatt did look very fluid running the ball.

It was weird that Mitchell ended up getting injured right away at NC state. But supposing that he had stayed then you would think we would have had him or Allen healthy for the Rutgers game. If we had had either of those guys I donít see us losing. We played a pretty good tight end at QB that day and came close.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2018, 12:34:00 pm »

It was weird that Mitchell ended up getting injured right away at NC state. But supposing that he had stayed then you would think we would have had him or Allen healthy for the Rutgers game. If we had had either of those guys I don’t see us losing. We played a pretty good tight end at QB that day and came close.

Brandon Mitchell should have been the starter for 2013 because truth be told, Brandon Allen wasn't ready to start at that point. It was CBB's first major blunder and it cost the team dearly that year.

HF#1

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2018, 01:23:39 pm »

If we have a QB controversy, we don't have a SEC caliber starting QB.

Only a sith deals in absolutes.

JIHawg

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2018, 01:48:23 pm »

Is that true for Bama?

BornaHog

• Varsity
  • Born a hog will die a hog!!!!!!!
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2018, 01:55:27 pm »

Some may be overlooking this on Hyatt-he was going against the 3's and 4's.  Big difference.  Like on some of those runs he made, you think he would have done that against the 1's?  Ramsey?

Lets put him in there against the #1 defensive backfield, and see how he does.

My guess is that he has been in against the 1's in practice and That is why he is #3. Just saying

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2018, 02:44:42 pm »

Like I said, neither Story nor Bobby Boucher were good enough to preclude the possibility of Hyatt taking over in the fall.  For all we know, Morris is already planning on it but wants Hyatt to progress enough that the choice is clear and doesnít want Story or Boucher to transfer.

Of course, Iím not saying that is what has happened, but neither of the first two was impressive and their tools, or lack thereof, make them unlikely to become impressive. 

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2018, 02:47:29 pm »

Like I said, neither Story nor Bobby Boucher were good enough to preclude the possibility of Hyatt taking over in the fall.  For all we know, Morris is already planning on it but wants Hyatt to progress enough that the choice is clear and doesnít want Story or Boucher to transfer.

Of course, Iím not saying that is what has happened, but neither of the first two was impressive and their tools, or lack thereof, make them unlikely to become impressive.

What is impressive, though, is your ability to misspell "Storey."

If you're gonna talk dumb darn on a player, at least spell his (rather simple and uncomplicated) name correctly.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2018, 02:52:34 pm »

My guess is that he has been in against the 1's in practice and That is why he is #3. Just saying

Nah, that can't be it, that makes too much sense. NO, as usual, it has to be some big conspiracy among the coaching staff. We have had the terrible luck that the last 4 staffs had the fix in to not play the best Qb on campus. I mean, remember, there were some here that swore up and down that Wilson should be starting over RM.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2018, 02:53:38 pm »

He looked the part....he run's the read option the best, and has a good arm...

I like the way he directed the running back to run through the right hole for the TD on that read option, too. He has an good awareness, and those great feet, but I would have liked to have seen some snaps of the top 2 quarterbacks go to Hyatt in the first half. Obviously he hasn't done quite as much in all the practices that the coaches get to see, or in the meetings they're in, as Storey or Kelley.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2018, 03:06:01 pm »

What is impressive, though, is your ability to misspell "Storey."

If you're gonna talk dumb darn on a player, at least spell his (rather simple and uncomplicated) name correctly.

Really?  Story (Iíll spell it that way every time now) was unimpressive, as was Boucher.  That does not imply that they are bad kids or anything like that (of course, any sane adult would understand that) merely that they were unimpressive on the field.

Hawgphat

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2018, 03:18:56 pm »

IMO, Storey is - at best - the #3 QB right now, - - and is very likely destined to move down the depth chart AT LEAST one more notch between now and September.  I'm by no means disrespecting or trashing the young man; - - that's just the way I see it in clinical terms.  As I've stated once before, I believe it to be definitely within the realm of possibility that this season's eventual #1-ranking QB may not yet have arrived on campus.

Hyatt shows potential and promise.  I simply don't know if he is sufficiently prepared at this time - physically or mentally -  for the "grunt and groan ' stresses of SEC Football.

tomarkansawyer

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2018, 07:47:36 pm »

Is that true for Bama?
Which is in and of itself an absolute statement.

PorkRinds

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2018, 07:31:14 am »

IMO, Storey is - at best - the #3 QB right now, - - and is very likely destined to move down the depth chart AT LEAST one more notch between now and September.  I'm by no means disrespecting or trashing the young man; - - that's just the way I see it in clinical terms.  As I've stated once before, I believe it to be definitely within the realm of possibility that this season's eventual #1-ranking QB may not yet have arrived on campus.

Hyatt shows potential and promise.  I simply don't know if he is sufficiently prepared at this time - physically or mentally -  for the "grunt and groan ' stresses of SEC Football.

Hyatt isnít prepared, but two true Freshman are? Laughable.

rhames

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2018, 07:50:13 am »

I dont agree. I think its even between Storey and Kelly.

I'd actually give the edge to Ty. I think Morris was sending a message by letting him start Saturday and giving him an award for most consistent offensive player during spring ball.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:57:59 am by rhames »

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2018, 08:00:21 am »

God help us if it's storey

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2018, 08:44:29 am »

I dont agree. I think its even between story and Kelly.

I'd actually give the edge to Ty. I think Morris was sending a message by letting him start Saturday and giving him an award for most consistent offensive player during spring ball.

well storey obviously didnt get the message...

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2018, 08:49:15 am »

So help me understand. If Hyatt is by God THE guy, why is he not running with the first team?

"Gotta ease him into it."
"He's gotta learn the system."
"He's still young."

Invalid excuses. If he's the guy, why aren't the coaches, who are paid millions of dollars to make these decisions, running him with the first team? All the QBs are learning Morris' system.

I know he's gone on record and mentioned they've been going with seniority first at some positions, but according to Hogville that shouldn't matter, it should be Hyatt.

But he's not with the first team yet? Hmmm.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:59:45 am by RyanMallettsEgo »

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2018, 08:51:39 am »

I dont agree. I think its even between story and Kelly.

It really isn't even. Kelley's passes have much more zip on them than Storey's passes do. Storey's lack of arm strength is a major issue.

rhames

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2018, 08:57:22 am »

It really isn't even. Kelley's passes have much more zip on them than Storey's passes do. Storey's lack of arm strength is a major issue.

You know there is more to a qb than that though.

rhames

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2018, 09:03:12 am »

well storey obviously didnt get the message...

Both quarterbacks have a lot of work to do, but I'm not sure what some of yall were expecting to see last Saturday.

rhames

« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2018, 09:06:40 am »

So help me understand. If Hyatt is by God THE guy, why is he not running with the first team?

"Gotta ease him into it."
"He's gotta learn the system."
"He's still young."

Invalid excuses. If he's the guy, why aren't the coaches, who are paid millions of dollars to make these decisions, running him with the first team? All the QBs are learning Morris' system.

I know he's gone on record and mentioned they've been going with seniority first at some positions, but according to Hogville that shouldn't matter, it should be Hyatt.

But he's not with the first team yet? Hmmm.

A buddy of mine and I were there and joked when Hyatt came in people on hogville were going to freak out all because he ran the ball on 3rd and 4th stringers.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2018, 09:08:00 am »

A buddy of mine and I were there and joked when Hyatt came in people on hogville were going to freak out all because he ran the ball on 3rd and 4th stringers.

Hit the nail on the head.

Isn't it funny how the backup QB is always the team's best QB? Until he finally gets to play, then the original starter is the team's best QB?

steveaustin69

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2018, 09:08:48 am »

Isn't it funny how the backup QB is always the team's best QB? Until he finally gets to play, then the original starter is the team's best QB?

Tua Tagovailoa says hello.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2018, 09:17:12 am »

Tua Tagovailoa says hello.

Yes, because Alabama having a former #1 QB and #32 overall recruit in the country behind Jalen Hurts is comparable to our situation.

steveaustin69

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2018, 09:20:19 am »

Yes, because Alabama having the #1 QB and #32 overall recruit in the country is comparable to our situation.

Doesn't mean squat once you step on campus. Mayfield was a walk-on.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2018, 09:25:49 am »

And Josh Allen had one D1 offer.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2018, 09:32:13 am »

I think Kelly will open the season because he's got the most experience.  However, I can see Hyatt getting the start before the season's over if he continues to progress.  Morris' offense isn't really designed for a nearly 300 lb QB with a bullet in his leg.  It requires a lot of mobility.  To me, the arm isn't as big of an issue because the offense depends more on short passes than the long ball.

SemperHawg

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2018, 09:35:35 am »

I see it like this.

Cole Kelley-  Has the physical tools big arm, limited mobility in the right situation. Missing the delivery and accuracy portion.  Not getting the ball out fast enough and in some cases not hitting the right window with it.  Good news for Cole is, those are all things he can work on.

Ty Story-  Has more of the delivery and accuracy part down, limited on the physicals tools.  Especially on the mobility aspect, not being a running QB doesn't seem to be a deal breaker in the offense, but the more mobility you have the more you can get away with on the getting the ball out fast and accurately side.  Bad news for Ty is these are all things that fall more into the "god given" category.

Daulton Hyatt-  This kid looks to have the wheels that allow this system to be a little easier for him.    From a durability stand point I don't know how well he could hold up, but his mobility is the reason why the offense just kind of looked like it ran better with him in it.  Good news for Dalton, he can get in the weight room and the play book over the summer and address some of these issues. 

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2018, 09:38:15 am »

There are some here that wet themselves every time they see the Qb run because they think it means the Hogs are going to start having a running QB, read option, run around and make it up as he goes QB. They see some skinny kid come in a run against guys that we better hope never see the field this year, and all of sudden, yep, he should start.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2018, 10:01:18 am »

BS. When a player steps on campus as a 5 star Elite QB, it means a great deal. A great example of that is Ryan Mallett. The day he stepped on campus, everyone knew he would be the starter at QB when he became eligible to play.

steveaustin69

« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2018, 10:02:21 am »

BS. When a player steps on campus as a 5 star Elite QB, it means a great deal. A great example of that is Ryan Mallett. The day he stepped on campus, everyone knew he would be the starter at QB when he became eligible to play.

Shocked you couldn't sense the sarcasm. Truly shocked.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2018, 10:05:09 am »

I see it like this.

Cole Kelley-  Has the physical tools big arm, limited mobility in the right situation. Missing the delivery and accuracy portion.  Not getting the ball out fast enough and in some cases not hitting the right window with it.  Good news for Cole is, those are all things he can work on.

Ty Story-  Has more of the delivery and accuracy part down, limited on the physicals tools.  Especially on the mobility aspect, not being a running QB doesn't seem to be a deal breaker in the offense, but the more mobility you have the more you can get away with on the getting the ball out fast and accurately side.  Bad news for Ty is these are all things that fall more into the "god given" category.

Ty also has arm strength issues. Kelley had more zip on his passes and they got to the receivers quicker giving the DBs less time to react.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2018, 10:06:15 am »

Shocked you couldn't sense the sarcasm. Truly shocked.

You should have used the winking face. Sorry I missed it.

steveaustin69

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2018, 10:07:26 am »

You should have used the winking face. Sorry I missed it.

Figured a regular would get it based on my history. I'll use it next time for you, Guv.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2018, 11:05:39 am »

You know there is more to a qb than that though.

You're wrong.......Guv hath spoken.

hoghiker

« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2018, 11:11:03 am »

If we have a QB controversy, we don't have a SEC caliber starting QB.
like Alabama?

SquidBiily

« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2018, 11:28:32 am »

I predict one of the three won't even be on the roster come fall ball.  Based on the playing time distribution on Saturday I would guess it to be Hyatt that will be leaving, but that's just my opinion. 

I saw where Noland was going to report in May.  I think we'll have a 3 way battle between him and the two that are left, and Jones, when he gets here, will redshirt.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2018, 11:45:44 am »

Noland or Jones......since Noland had offers from Alabama...i would think he would be the primary target.....

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2018, 11:52:24 am »

Noland or Jones......since Noland had offers from Alabama...i would think he would be the primary target.....

So, 0 experience + arriving late to campus compared to everyone else means that he should be the primary target simply because...he "had offers (multiple?) from Alabama."

But according to 247Sports, he does not have an offer (or offers?) from Alabama.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Connor-Noland-86879/RecruitInterests

🤔

steveaustin69

« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2018, 11:54:02 am »

So, 0 experience + arriving late to campus compared to everyone else means that he should be the primary target simply because...he "had offers (multiple?) from Alabama."

But according to 247Sports, he does not have an offer (or offers?) from Alabama.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Connor-Noland-86879/RecruitInterests

🤔

Things that make you say hmmmm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas