• 396,059 Topics
• 22,370 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Your take + and -  (Read 5016 times)

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
Re: Your take + and -
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2018, 05:41:09 pm »

Eh, missed a throw today that should be a TD 10/10 Times. He’s not consistent.

In all fairness, I saw some drops today that shouldn't have been incompletions as well. But yes, he did lead a receiver by too much today on what should have been an easy TD. Of course that never happens to other QB's, even Heisman winners.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2018, 05:44:36 pm »

He's more consistent than the rest. his passes have more zip on them than the other QB's and get to the receivers quicker.

Regardless of who starts, the Hogs are pretty solid at QB with Kelley and Storey as the top 2.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2018, 06:01:47 pm »

I thought for 12 practices it wasn't god awful . But pretty close lol.. some wide outs that can get open are gona be important ... Petway and woods only ones that showed that they can today ... Tight ends looked good , center was bad wobbly slow snaps , running backs as a group were good , secondary looked good ( or our wide outs are really bad ) hopefully a QB emerges in the fall ...

I bet we see all sorts of change at the WR positions between now and September.

ChicoHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2018, 06:03:56 pm »

Positive:   RBs, TEs, DBs and Hyatt's dual threat possibility

Negative:  OL, QBs accuracy, getting play called, elusiveness (except Hyatt), WRs no separation.  To me the offense looked very sluggish.

Hyatt really showed how important it is to have a QB who can run the ball.  Makes defense think twice about who has the ball and holds the LBs.  I really want a QB who is a running threat unless we have a stud passer like Mallet was and I don't see that. 

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2018, 06:08:50 pm »

Overall concern is we still look very slow. Especially on offense at the skill positions. Still looks like a Bret Bielema team.
This.  I don’t think we have the playmakers to light the scoreboard up.  Talent wise we’re just not where we were when Bielema took over.  We were sold a bill of goods that Petrino hadn’t recruited talented players. 

ballz2thewall

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2018, 06:25:31 pm »

i'm as critical as any jackass

but today was absolutely miserable weather. very difficult to get your mind into it; much less the body. there was no way for the players to limber up on the field. i very much doubt anyone found a true stride.

spring games are always sloppy, but today's weather contributed mightily to the mud on the floor.

i thought TS looked better and more relaxed than CK. but really; who's to know? from today only you just can't judge. no one could come close to a groove.

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2018, 06:29:40 pm »

Kelly needs to be more consistent but he puts it in the pocket a lot. WRs are talented and will get better at catching the ball. Oline needs some more talent at tackle. Lots of options at WR and last years #1 JC WR didn't practice nor did JC.

Saw much more speed and not 15-20 yard cushions much more aggressive. I know it was practice and didn't expect us to look like the Patriots on offense.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2018, 06:58:04 pm »

OL 1's looked pretty good, not sure what some of you were watching. 2's had some real struggles especially Clennin.

QB play was shaky at best. Kelley did come on later. Still think Storey is bait for Kelley and others. Hyatt definitely appears to have potential. Was thinking first half of scrimmage maybe I was wrong and Noland might have a chance. Based on what I have seen today and before if he won the job it would be a positive because we have some talent, but just not there yet.

RBs all played well, Hammonds getting rag dolled into the QB wasn't pretty.

WRs and TEs played well, Woods can't drop that 1. Impressed with him though.

Front 7 was solid on Def, but not real flashy other than Ramsey.

DBs played well, pulley, Calloway, Kurl, Henry, and Brown stood out.

Special teams was horrible and that could be disparaging to horrible.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2018, 06:59:23 pm »

Positives:

The defense looked much better, in part because you could see people back at their natural positions, making much more fluid and natural key reads.  It allows for the play of much more instinctual football on the defensive side, and that's going to have carry over benefits all season.

Pass protection busts were fewer and farther between then they have been the last two years; when we did see pressure get to the QBs effectively, it was pressure generated by traditional edge rushes when the decision making was slow, or not having as many blockers as defenders on the same side of the formation.   Its still not good, but its starting to edge towards understandable, away from indefensible.

Whaley is in regular season form.   Good decision making and reading, and when he makes his cut, its plant and go.   He's the strongest asset on this offense by far, and the one guy you can trust to win individual contests on a regular basis.

The bad:

Too many plays where every single contest across the formation was won by the defenders.    The talents to win one on one battles at an SEC level are lacking in this offensive group.   You really have to hope Jared Cornelius shakes off the rust and makes a difference out there.

#hammerdown

• Varsity
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2018, 07:07:26 pm »

I agree my question is whether Ramsey looked good because he was going against a subpar oline or if he is going to show out because he is that type of playmaker

If you saw Ramsey’s latest tweet it sheds a lot of light on the last few years of defense and the lack of pass rush.

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2018, 07:28:03 pm »

In all fairness, I saw some drops today that shouldn't have been incompletions as well. But yes, he did lead a receiver by too much today on what should have been an easy TD. Of course that never happens to other QB's, even Heisman winners.

He has footwork issues that caused that throw. It has been a problem with him since he got here. That being said, he threw some good balls today, and I like how hard he plays.

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2018, 07:28:55 pm »

If you saw Ramsey’s latest tweet it sheds a lot of light on the last few years of defense and the lack of pass rush.

Ramsey looks poised for a really good year.

ALLVOL

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2018, 07:36:31 pm »

Without question the biggest concern is depth pretty much all over the place, but hopefully recruiting will take care of that in time.
I was impressed with the pep in the step the players seemed to have all day. Obviously they are taking on the characteristics of the staff and that's a good thing.

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2018, 08:59:27 am »

If you play football you want to be aggressive. BB wouldn't allow the defense to attack and in this day of football you have to cause bad plays. And turnovers, you aren't stopping these offenses the rules and the 4-5 wideouts are going to make plays.

wildhogman

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2018, 09:31:18 am »

Brandon Allen missed some throws like that during his career at the UofA. remind which carwash he works at again?  (hint it will be the same name as an NFL TEAM).
Hard to judge anything right now with so little information and one glorified scrimmage meant to gain fan support and give us something to be hopeful for. 

RebelW

• Senior
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2018, 10:16:49 am »

Like we were injury free. We look in better shape. They will look faster when they start playing faster and quit thinking so much.

Defensively I was impressed without Capps,Sosa, or Gerald.
Think we are solid at LB.

Sloppy play in some sloppy weather over all.. QBs need to serperate themselves. Some missed TDs on bad footwork but showed flashes of solid play.
Hell who knows

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2018, 12:43:16 pm »

Like we were injury free. We look in better shape. They will look faster when they start playing faster and quit thinking so much.

Sloppy play in some sloppy weather over all.. QBs need to serperate themselves. Some missed TDs on bad footwork but showed flashes of solid play.
Hell who knows

Good points. They've only had 12 practices and they'll have a lot more than that before the first game so the Offense will improve a lot. If yesterday is any indication though, by the time fall camp is over and they get ready for the first game, that Defense is going to be mighty darn salty. They looked good yesterday and they were missing 2 highly talented starters up front.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:05:38 pm by GuvHog »

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2018, 01:03:27 pm »

Cole Kelley’s footwork. It still an issue and doesn’t seem to be getting fixed. Certain WRs can’t get open. Defensively have to get more pressure on the ball.

Biggest problem is at QB tho. Maybe Noland or Jones can do better

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2018, 01:57:52 pm »

Hell who knows

Gerald? He isn't here yet if you're talking about the JC DE?

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2018, 02:03:34 pm »

After letting it settle for 24 hours my takes were as follows. Miserable conditions affected everything.
*Several months and a few practices into a new era of offense. It was like waffle house, scattered, scrambled and uncovered.
* Our Wr's can't get any separation
*It is obvious that we have a few in the secondary who are gonna be improved but after that we are horrible.
*We finally have a D coordinator who is getting those in the secondary to hold like Bama and LSU which is gonna work out in our favor.
*arrests should be made for Bell and Ramsey not being taken advantage of like yesterday.
*Middle linebacker corp looks as advertised. good.
*Down D line looks solid also(I was pleasantly surprised) given absentees.
*What we would put out there as a nickel package also frightens me.
Defensive grade   solid B and I look forward to Chiefs influence making us more improved.
* Running backs looked slow going outside. looked great on grinding the middle.
*Where'
s the screen pass to Hammonds.
*QB play was horrible but that's expected.Story or Hyatt or the other will be the man cuz of mobility and they're used to this type of system. Hyatt may have gotten the edge here.Story close behind.
* Several good possession receivers looked good but if we can't stretch the field we will be very stoppable.
* O line looked leaner and much more serviceable than expected.
Remember Kenny Hatfields offensive lines were taught such good technique and within that system you just had to have great timing.Maybe our coaching staff and their play calling will help us this year instead of hindering. I was as optimistic about them as anyone. IE it wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared.
Offensive grade B- which is great for the above mentioned reasons.Bad weather,new system,new everything.

I saw a spark in this coaching staff which hasn't been there since Bobby P. Our coaching staff lost the A$M game for us last year as well as the State game and Missouri. I m going Homer and saying this team wins 8 games next year.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2018, 03:55:45 pm »

Cole Kelley’s footwork. It still an issue and doesn’t seem to be getting fixed. Certain WRs can’t get open. Defensively have to get more pressure on the ball.

Biggest problem is at QB tho. Maybe Noland or Jones can do better

Me thinks Nolan and Jones will be the front runners as qb..otherwise they wouldnt have been offered

Hogindasticks

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2018, 04:00:28 pm »

Me thinks Nolan and Jones will be the front runners as qb..otherwise they wouldnt have been offered
i dont think that coach wants any of the existing qb's personally.

RebelW

• Senior
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2018, 04:49:43 pm »

Gerald? He isn't here yet if you're talking about the JC DE?
That's my point. The defense looked good without Capps, Sosa, And Gerald. Yes he not here yet and he WILL make an impact..

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2018, 05:22:38 pm »

As enthusiastic as you seem to be about the group of recruits who aren't even on campus yet, I think (and hope) that you know that most of the time, it takes true freshmen some time to transition and adapt to the speed of SEC level football. There are the rare exceptions but Arkansas rarely recruits at such an elevated level as to see two (or more) in one class come in and take positions away from established and more experienced players. I'm not saying that it can't be done but it isn't often that it occurs.

3Scoreand10

• Varsity
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2018, 06:10:34 pm »

The Good---We have 5 months until the first game.
The Bad---We only have 5 months until the first game.

Pork Ranger

• Senior
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2018, 06:27:12 pm »

Pros: loved the CB’s playing press at least on one side of the field. We should have the athleticism in the secondary to be able to do that all year. Loved their aggressiveness. This side of the ball will be a welcome change. After all, they can only improve

Cons: special teams is really bad. Opening kick out of bounds, field goals looked terrible. Kicking game needs tons of work

Hawgphat

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2018, 06:58:30 pm »

Last season, the Hogs went 4-8, - - and were heavy and slow.  I believe that they will pick up a couple of additional wins this coming season, - - and that they will be a tad bit leaner and swifter, - - as well as being perhaps a bit more mobile, with improved strength and conditioning.  For me, those combined improvement factors augur well for a substantial performance upgrade.

Those of you who seem to be expecting a more dramatic visual evidence profile at this very early juncture might pause for a moment to conduct a little internal introspection to determine whether or not you may be exhibiting a somewhat unrealistic expectations analysis which may be construed as bordering on pegging the far end of that sliding judgment scale you may be weighing your opinionated prognosis on.

It's okay to feel

But keep it real

Morris may prove to be "The Real Deal"

Why don't we pledge to afford him - along with the coaching cadre and the players -  that fair, open-minded opportunity?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 08:20:40 pm by Hawgphat »

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2018, 07:38:50 pm »

That's my point. The defense looked good without Capps, Sosa, And Gerald. Yes he not here yet and he WILL make an impact..

And right you are!! I sometimes have a reading comprehension problem on here.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2018, 12:06:59 am »

Positive:   RBs, TEs, DBs and Hyatt's dual threat possibility

Negative:  OL, QBs accuracy, getting play called, elusiveness (except Hyatt), WRs no separation.  To me the offense looked very sluggish.

Hyatt really showed how important it is to have a QB who can run the ball.  Makes defense think twice about who has the ball and holds the LBs.  I really want a QB who is a running threat unless we have a stud passer like Mallet was and I don't see that.

Sadly, I agree.   :(   I don't think we have the WR corps that has the speed to get much separation, and they definitely don't have the quick first step to make a defender miss on the outside.  That's going to limit our passing game, and without that threat, I have no idea how Morris's offense will work without a threat to run at the QB position. 

I hope I'm dead wrong, but what I saw...was a slow team, trying to play fast. 

On the flip side, I think our defense may be better than most people are expecting, which is a great thing.  I think we're going to need it... :( 

secfan30

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2018, 12:11:06 am »

Positives, even when being interviewed by the sideline reporter, the coaches kept paying attention to the action versus ignoring what was happening on the field.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2018, 06:17:32 am »

Sadly, I agree.   :(   I don't think we have the WR corps that has the speed to get much separation, and they definitely don't have the quick first step to make a defender miss on the outside.  That's going to limit our passing game, and without that threat, I have no idea how Morris's offense will work without a threat to run at the QB position. 

I hope I'm dead wrong, but what I saw...was a slow team, trying to play fast. 

On the flip side, I think our defense may be better than most people are expecting, which is a great thing.  I think we're going to need it... :( 

The spring game usually isn't a very good indicator of what we will see from a team in the fall. It gives something to discuss and debate, but that is about it. I'm looking forward to seeing what this team looks like in the last couple of weeks of August.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2018, 07:18:11 am »

He has footwork issues that caused that throw. It has been a problem with him since he got here. That being said, he threw some good balls today, and I like how hard he plays.

Someone go get a ladder....

jkstock04

« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2018, 07:44:13 am »

The spring game usually isn't a very good indicator of what we will see from a team in the fall. It gives something to discuss and debate, but that is about it. I'm looking forward to seeing what this team looks like in the last couple of weeks of August.
Not saying you are doing this now, but this has kind of been the homer argument for years now in deflection of obvious wrongs with the team in the spring time. I clearly recall people being concerned about the defense in the spring game in the past years only to hear stuff like this.

Low and behold, the defense turned out to be the worst in school history despite the “you can’t tell anything from the spring game” mantras. I’m not saying the spring game is the absolute gospel for what’s to come...but this notion of scoffing at any type of judgment of the play during spring isn’t correct either. We can tell some things.

Wide receiver has gotta be a major concern for Chad Morris going into this season. We need different names out there doing different things. The entire offense really. He preaches SPEED SPEED SPEED and we are extremely deficient in that area. It was scary to me watching because even though we have different coaches, different schemes (which are supposed to go faster)...these players are still Bielema-ized Big 10 2008 style.

The best news is even with all that our schedule is still very favorable in comparison with normal years.

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2018, 07:51:14 am »

WR may be an issue, but did JRed, Brandon Martin or Jordan Jones play?  I did not see them. 

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2018, 08:10:55 am »

I agree, and I know when you're learning something brand new, you can't go full speed.  That's why I didn't take away a lot from it, BUT I do think the same issue with lack of speed versus the rest of the SEC is present at the skill positions.  I hope that tempers peoples' expectations, because I don't see this as a miracle turnaround with the talent we have currently.  Now...granted, we were missing a few cogs, and Cornelius will help.  I did like the new back...Malik (forgot the last name...CRS this morning).  He runs hard. 

The lack of separation can be attributed a little to the defense possibly knowing the routes, so there's that possibility as well. 

Familiarity will help.  I still think we'll do well to get 6 wins and win a bowl game.  JMO

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2018, 08:14:33 am »

Horrible Weather
No one got hurt
and we have 5 months to get better.
Bad only 7,000 to 15,000 showed up

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2018, 08:38:19 am »

Horrible Weather
No one got hurt
and we have 5 months to get better.
Bad only 7,000 to 15,000 showed up

Ahh...there's going to be this constant LR versus NWA banter, but I guarantee you that in similar weather, the turnout would have been VERY similar at DWRRS.  Any comments I see about poor attendance, I'm just throwing out the window, and that's especially true when you could watch it on TV and not be miserable. 

I had considered driving down for it, and seeing family, but the forecast made me think...."For a red white game, that's on TV...not worth it."  Actually, with the sideline insights they gave from the coaching staff, it showed one of the many reasons people are staying home. 

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2018, 08:46:59 am »

My greatest concern is WHERE DID THE KARMA GO? Are you plebeian snowflakes too soft for a little constructive criticism?!

rljjr

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2018, 08:55:24 am »

Surely you all saw the big play potential from the true freshman Woods. He was extremely impressive and you can tell why the staff was happy he followed from SMU to Arkansas. Size and speed. He had one drop after making contact with the ground. Other than that he ran great routes and put himself in position to make plays. Extremely impressed with him.  We're going to be fine if Woods is the type of "3-star" player the Hogs get.

Kickers/punters are still something to be desired.

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2018, 11:11:25 am »

Not saying you are doing this now, but this has kind of been the homer argument for years now in deflection of obvious wrongs with the team in the spring time. I clearly recall people being concerned about the defense in the spring game in the past years only to hear stuff like this.

Low and behold, the defense turned out to be the worst in school history despite the “you can’t tell anything from the spring game” mantras. I’m not saying the spring game is the absolute gospel for what’s to come...but this notion of scoffing at any type of judgment of the play during spring isn’t correct either. We can tell some things.

Wide receiver has gotta be a major concern for Chad Morris going into this season. We need different names out there doing different things. The entire offense really. He preaches SPEED SPEED SPEED and we are extremely deficient in that area. It was scary to me watching because even though we have different coaches, different schemes (which are supposed to go faster)...these players are still Bielema-ized Big 10 2008 style.

The best news is even with all that our schedule is still very favorable in comparison with normal years.
If you are always negative, you will be right part of the time. 

They were 12 practices in to learning a 180 degree different system.  Only 3+months into a 180 degree different S&C program.  You can’t make judgements based on a glorified practice.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2018, 11:18:40 am »

If you are always negative, you will be right part of the time. 

They were 12 practices in to learning a 180 degree different system.  Only 3+months into a 180 degree different S&C program.  You can’t make judgements based on a glorified practice.

Final judgments, no, but qualified conditional observations?  Yes.

There are areas that should be obviously troubling, just as past years failures were often telegraphed heavily in spring games.

This year, its offensive playmaking.  The defense was relatively stout, considering how little of it came from the keystone defenders we expect to make plays this year. 

ricepig

« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2018, 11:33:33 am »

Final judgments, no, but qualified conditional observations?  Yes.

There are areas that should be obviously troubling, just as past years failures were often telegraphed heavily in spring games.

This year, its offensive playmaking.  The defense was relatively stout, considering how little of it came from the keystone defenders we expect to make plays this year. 

So, how much of the lack of playmakers do you put on only running 4/5 basic plays? We showed no motion, no shifting, no pistol, and no imagination, lol.  Now, we may not be much better once we do, but it was fairly basic. The actual threat of a running QB would/should make some difference, again, I don't know if we have one.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2018, 01:19:05 pm »

So, how much of the lack of playmakers do you put on only running 4/5 basic plays? We showed no motion, no shifting, no pistol, and no imagination, lol.  Now, we may not be much better once we do, but it was fairly basic. The actual threat of a running QB would/should make some difference, again, I don't know if we have one.

We had more than 4 or 5 basic plays.  No, we didn't have the full playbook, but there's only so much you can excuse-- at some point, your slot receiver has to beat a man inside to make a slant window a viable option for your quarterback.  Your outside receiver has to beat a jam, to get into their route and give the quarterback a throwing option.

That simply wasn't happening.    It doesn't matter if they know what is coming, if you do your job and win that battle.  And across the board, the offensive playmakers got whipped-- even the balls we had that were completed, were contested.

ricepig

« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2018, 01:24:15 pm »

We had more than 4 or 5 basic plays.  No, we didn't have the full playbook, but there's only so much you can excuse-- at some point, your slot receiver has to beat a man inside to make a slant window a viable option for your quarterback.  Your outside receiver has to beat a jam, to get into their route and give the quarterback a throwing option.

That simply wasn't happening.    It doesn't matter if they know what is coming, if you do your job and win that battle.  And across the board, the offensive playmakers got whipped-- even the balls we had that were completed, were contested.

Well, that's one take on it. I suspect the coaching staff has a different one.

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2018, 07:43:11 pm »

Well, that's one take on it. I suspect the coaching staff has a different one.
If they do, we are in trouble. I saw two receivers at best that could consistently get ope and make a play and one of them couldn't consistently catch the ball. That may have had something to do with the weather. I just hope J-Cornelius is 100% when he gets back.

ricepig

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2018, 07:48:16 pm »

If they do, we are in trouble. I saw two receivers at best that could consistently get ope and make a play and one of them couldn't consistently catch the ball. That may have had something to do with the weather. I just hope J-Cornelius is 100% when he gets back.

I guess we're in trouble, maybe we can squeak past Eastern......

HeyHogs

« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2018, 09:44:14 pm »

Special teams, QB and Head Coach.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2018, 09:00:40 am »

Ahh...there's going to be this constant LR versus NWA banter, but I guarantee you that in similar weather, the turnout would have been VERY similar at DWRRS.  Any comments I see about poor attendance, I'm just throwing out the window, and that's especially true when you could watch it on TV and not be miserable. 

I had considered driving down for it, and seeing family, but the forecast made me think...."For a red white game, that's on TV...not worth it."  Actually, with the sideline insights they gave from the coaching staff, it showed one of the many reasons people are staying home. 

The Weather ruined the attendance bottom line even if it had been in NWA!

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2018, 09:48:31 am »

It also could be that the defense backs were experienced and playing well. Did you consider that??

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2018, 04:51:00 pm »

Finally had the opportunity to watch the whole game today. Some extra thoughts on the spring game.

I don't see many mentioning him, and I can't figure out why, but Armon Watts balled out the entire spring game. He was consistently pushing the OL player backwards including likely starters Gibson and Wallace. If you recall the play where Chase tripped in the backfield? Yeah, Watts bull rushed Wallace so hard that Chase tripped on Wallace's leg. However, he didn't just use power, there several plays where he exploded off the snap and split the gap between OL players. Bar none, he was our best defensive lineman that game.

Jamario Bell solidly holds the title of second best DL player IMO. His speed is something crazy. On a play where Maleek broke a decent run off to the right side, Bell was running back in support and running faster than Maleek. Couple that with the fact that he is also really strong and able to hold his own in the run game. In the past, I've compared Bell's athleticism to that of a Gronkowski (when he was at TE) and Von Miller (when he was OLB) and seeing him in extended action this spring game, I think he really does live up to that level of athleticism. To be sure, there are hundreds of players with that type of athleticism with maybe tens of them ending up being that successful. So don't think that I'm making some outlandish claims of what Bell will do. However, that is the level athlete he can be if he wants to put in the work and based on how well he was doing last spring and summer before injury cut him out of last season, I think he could so something special this year.

Ramsey: There's no denying that he was often able to get into the backfield. However, watch Ramsey on run plays and more often than not, he was a complete non-factor. Once an offensive player got a hold of him, he was largely eliminated from the play, and that includes a play where Pettway was motioned towards the line and easily handled him one on one. Admittedly, Pettway is basically the same size as Ramsey, but that's the issue with having a DE who weighs in the 220's. Further, there were many times where even when he was getting penetration, he was having to take such a wide arc to avoid the offensive player that he wasn't able to disrupt the play. With the negatives out of the way, he is as quick as a cat and was frequently in the backfield. Although Jackson is one of our worst OL players at LT, Ramsey absolutely skunked him on the way to a quick sack that would have been very painful for a qb in a real game situation. Further, when he does lose contain/gap control, he has the speed to help keep the damage from being too much.

Lastly on the DL, Taylor showed some really good speed as well which isn't surprising considering his JUCO tape. He frequently was getting by his OL requiring some holding to keep him at bay. There were even a few times that you saw him execute a good bull rush. However, in watching him, he was also frequently swallowed up by the OL. You didn't see him get pushed back too much either, but his play was inconsistent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas