• 9,890,385 Posts
• 398,402 Topics
• 22,823 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your take + and -  (Read 5199 times)

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
Re: Your take + and -
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2018, 05:03:57 pm »

On the offensive line, Froholdt was easily the best. Couldn't see who the DL player was but it was when at least most of the first unit was out there, Froholdt just immediately and dominatingly pancaked his guy while staying on his feet and moving to the next level. Speaking of the next level, Fro was much improved on pulling. In the past, he has mostly struggled when things are moving faster such as knowing who to block when he's pulling or finding somebody on the second level. He didn't seem to struggle with that in the spring game.

Hays I thought did very well too. Can't think of any pays where I specifically noticed him getting beat, though I also noticed that he was usually there to assist one of the other guards and not too often blocking one on one.

Gibson and Wallace both had some good plays and both had some bad ones. Both were bullied on multiple occasions by Watts, but both also had their moments. Was surprised to see Gibson being pushed back like he was since strength and size is his forte and he lacks good athleticism. Though, going against other DL players, you saw him get some push as well. Wallace was pretty good at not letting anybody get behind him, but I didn't notice a lot of forward push from him and he did give up some ground in the pass game, but again, he also had his moments of stonewalling the defender.

Jackson remains IMO the weakest of the starting 5 overall. He was frequently beat around the edge in the passing game and often required help. He had some really plays in the run game, but there was one play on the first drive iirc where froholdt hits his man on the DL and then moves forward to the second level. Despite a good initial hit, Jackson struggled with his footwork finishing off the block and was left at an awkward angle where the DL was able to get off the block and make the tackle for a short gain. He has good size and strength with long arms, but just being awkward with his footwork has been a common thing for him during his whole time here.

On the second team level, Clenin struggled a good bit. Clary, Hall, and Adcock did decently, but I admit, I didn't rewind as much with the second team.

We seem to be pretty good on the inside and with guys pulling, but tackle, particularly LT appears to still be lacking.

phadedhawg

« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2018, 05:22:19 pm »

I'm worried that this team only won 4 games last year.

On the bright side, we only won 4 games last year so it shouldn't be too hard to top that. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2018, 05:27:53 pm »

The RB's have been talked about a good bit so I won't add much more other than to mention a specific play. Holy crap the hit Maleek laid on AJB. Alexy was squared up with Maleek and AJB is listed at a solid 230 pounds, but Williams had a good head of steam and sent him flying on his back. Doing that to DB's is one thing, trucking a solid LB for an extra few yards is another, but straight up leveling a LB that big? Damn.

WR's: Most anything that needs to be said has already been done. Three of our more athletic guys didn't suit up/play (ignoring the no contact punt catch) in Cornelius, Martin, and Jackson (who is still working back from an injury last summer). It was surprising to see so little from Nance who was one of the most reliable receivers we had last season and disappointing that Jordan Jones is still not seizing the moment to rise to the top. Morris has talked about this in his interviews that there are a lot of guys out there who can be really good receivers, but he wisely wants a handful to really rise up and become THE guy. None of them have really been very consistent. That said, Pettway might be finally coming into his own (though Morris has mentioned that while he did good in this practice, he's had his share of bad practices as well) and Woods was impressive for a freshmen but had some nasty drops too.

TE: They are what we thought they were. Easily the most proven, talented, and deep position on the team.

QB: Again, most anything that needs to be said has been here. Kelley has better zip, Storey is better throwing on the run. Hyatt shows potential, but there's probably a good reason he's been a distant third on the depth chart. The qb play didn't look as sharp as we have seen it in the past with guys like Mallet, Wilson, and both the Allen bros. However, if we take Cole's stats from last year and triple them (the bulk of his stats came in just the four starts he made), we're still looking at 3100 yards passing, 24:12 td/int ratio and another 200 net positive yards on the ground with another 6 rushing td's. If you want to be a real stickler and only look at the 4 games he started, that would translate to a 2500 yards, 15:6, 120 on the ground and another 3 rushing td's. again, that's strictly expanding the stats he had last year. Which would otherwise improve IF Morris helps him be a better player, and/or Morris gets the OL to play better, and/or Morris gets a better run game, and/or Morris gets the receivers to play better. I.e. the above is almost a worst case scenario of Morris not being able to coach any better than Bielema did in 2017. Hopefully, all of those improve and if anybody beats out Kelley for the starter spot, odds are, we can look forward to a season that even better than what the above numbers would have been.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2018, 05:45:28 pm »

Rounding out the defense: Greenlaw looks way better than he has in the past. Showing speed and aggression we haven't seen from him before. Scoota continues to be a guy out there making plays. An example for both players: Greenlaw stringing a RPO outside and zooming across the field to make a tackle for no or at least minimal gain. For DeJon Harris, a run play straight up the gut. Harris diagnoses the play and then shoots the gap unblocked for a two yard loss.

For the backups/other starters at LB: McClure really impressed me. It shows how he started off as a receiver here because he is probably our fastest linebacker. Watching the game, #36 was always out there flying to the ball. Sad that Munson (who reportedly has been the normal starter in McClure's place) wasn't able to play. If McClure is able to play like that, but he's the backup to Munson? Would have been exciting to see Munson play. It does concern me that Munson is barely 200 pounds playing LB. If we get a more run heavy team (like Bama, Auburn, MSU, LSU, and even the aggies to a degree) I wouldn't be shocked to see McClure get the edge as he is likely better in run support. Morgan and Henry provided solid play as well. Recall that Morgan was very productive at the LB spot last year in limited playing time. Lastly, Carter stood out to me as well. Seemed to almost be playing more on the DL, but is listed as a LB. He definitely looked like a 2nd to third string player compared to the starters, but as I think a walk-on, he's the type who can provide that quality level depth.

The secondary is definitely the star of the defense right now though. Pulley and Ramirez are Sunday level players who just happen to be playing on saturday. Curl is finally able to play at his natural position now that Liddell and Coley have graduated and looks very good there. Challoway was also making some good plays including that nice breakup in the endzone. The two most visible backups were Dalton and Micah Smith. Dalton is a player with great length and good enough speed, but was beat deep a couple times. Smith showed good speed and some head hunting ability but was put in some bad situations. Dalton getting beat by Pettway and him trying his best to dislodge with a really hard hit, and then Morgan at LB getting sucked in by the fake, leaving Smith exposed in over the top coverage underneath on that td play. Tutt showed some really good plays, but also some inconsistency. We've seen reid Miller in game play before and know that he can help, especially in a honey badger type role. Lastly, we didn't get to see them much, but Curtis, McClellion, and Brown are all three very athletic guys coming into their redshirt freshmen seasons along with the high caliber recruits coming in the summer.

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Be Hawgin it since 1960
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2018, 06:02:13 pm »

this statement made me throw up in my mouth....PLEASE let's not start saying this again. This was CBB's favorite statement, let's fire this thought process just like we fired him.

The play on the field will determine how 'far away' we are

You are what your record says you are.
Bill Parcells
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas