• 9,887,560 Posts
• 398,314 Topics
• 22,810 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hogs defense  (Read 5550 times)

DLUXHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
Re: Hogs defense
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2018, 11:19:50 am »

Looks to me with the addition of the new guys this fall....gonna be stiff!

Probably also because this is the absolute best coaching staff, defensively, since Lou Holtz’s DC was here.....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:21:07 pm by DLUXHOG »

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2018, 11:33:18 am »

The defense will be that much better with Agim and Gerald, provided DG is able to learn the defense quickly. I think he will, I see his twitter feed a lot, he seems like a smart young man.

This defense may look "slow" to Bore-land who sees a dark cloud in every silver lining, but it's definitely faster than the defense of the last 2 years.

I didn't see Montaric Brown on the field Sat., did he play or was he hurt? His cousin Bishop will instantly upgrade the speed of the secondary if he can learn the scheme in time. The kid can fly.

We may not have the speed of some of our SEC West foes yet, but we will be faster than we were. Becoming a team that no longer "chases speed" won't happen in one recruiting class, especially with only 17 slots available. I guess that's beyond the comprehension of some... this team is not slow in spite of what some post on here.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2018, 11:36:11 am »

i do absolutely apologize...i couldnt remember his other name.  Its my bad....i will go lay on the tracks this evening and let the other train run over me and put stupidity at it's end.

Ok. In your next life, this problem can be easily solved with punctuation. Good luck.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2018, 11:36:20 am »

I agree...watched Auburn afterwards...as a team we were much faster

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2018, 09:47:27 am »

I want to see type of D!

Mike Irwin

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 02:28:47 pm »

having curl, calloway, pulley on the field at the same time make the defense faster. looks like they are going to use ramsey like chavis did myles garrett at a&m, just go get the qb on every play.

that makes the defense faster already
Think back to last spring. What were we being told?

Bielema was touting the advantages of the 3-4 in terms of blitzing.  Paul Rhoads went into great detail explaining the various blitz options they would have. He said that they could custom taylor a blitz package for each game based on the offense they were going up against.

In the first scrimmage of the spring Austin Allen threw for 150 yards and a couple of touchdows. Rhoads explained afterward that he was still installing the various blitzes so he used a base defense in that scrimmage.

The following Saturday he unleashed the blitz. Austin Allen was sacked 5 times. On one play I think it was Bjhon Jackson who actually tackled Allen to the ground. His passing numbers were cut in half. He didn't throw a single TD pass.

I felt like at that point I had seen a good look at why they had switched defenses.

There was just one problem. When fall came they almost never blitzed. Over and over again Rhoads would tell us that the QB they were facing was so dangerous as a runner blitzing was not a good idea.

To this day I'm trying to figure out why a head coach would go through all the trouble of teaching his players a new defense because it would better help them pressure opposing QBs but when the time came to use it he backed off.

We're told that Chavis's guys are going to go after the QB. His history suggests that they will. If so that, to me, will be the real difference.

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2018, 08:14:06 am »

Bielema was touting the advantages of the 3-4 in terms of blitzing.  Paul Rhoads went into great detail explaining the various blitz options they would have. He said that they could custom taylor a blitz package for each game based on the offense they were going up against.

In the first scrimmage of the spring Austin Allen threw for 150 yards and a couple of touchdows. Rhoads explained afterward that he was still installing the various blitzes so he used a base defense in that scrimmage.

The following Saturday he unleashed the blitz. Austin Allen was sacked 5 times. On one play I think it was Bjhon Jackson who actually tackled Allen to the ground. His passing numbers were cut in half. He didn't throw a single TD pass.

I felt like at that point I had seen a good look at why they had switched defenses.

There was just one problem. When fall came they almost never blitzed. Over and over again Rhoads would tell us that the QB they were facing was so dangerous as a runner blitzing was not a good idea.

To this day I'm trying to figure out why a head coach would go through all the trouble of teaching his players a new defense because it would better help them pressure opposing QBs but when the time came to use it he backed off.

We're told that Chavis's guys are going to go after the QB. His history suggests that they will. If so that, to me, will be the real difference.
The 3-4 was never anything but a stunt to generate some offseason interest (ticket sales) for an otherwise bad football team.

razorbackfanatic

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2018, 01:11:17 am »

We have two All SEC caliber Linebackers for the first time in years. Greenlaw looked super fast in the spring game and Harris played his assignments very well. Henry brings good speed and I love his physicality. He's in the mold of an undersized Tony Bua, Jerico Nelson, Zac Painter type who's a tweener with closer to safety size, but good speed for an olb. Some of Arkansas' best defenses have had this.

We all want three line backers that are 6'4" 250 that run 4.5's, but reality is we have always had to take one or two guys that were undersized but physical and use their speed to compensate. One thing Nutt's defenses always had were good speed. Pulley is a very good corner especially for a physical man to man type defense which we will be more in this season than we've been since Reggie Herring was the DC.

Curl brings more speed to safety. It's been years since we've had two safeties on the field with SEC quality speed. While I think Ramirez and Curl are average SEC safety speed not elite, we haven't had average at both spots there in a long time. I think they are faster than Tramain Thomas, Eric Bennett, Alan Turner, Michael Hewitt, Matt Harris, Josh Liddell, Rashaad Johnson, etc. I'm not bagging on those guys, but none of them were running anyone down from behind. Ramirez has it in spurts, he impressed me when he ran down Trevor Knoght from behind a couple years ago in Dallas.

The last 10 years or so our corners have mostly been safety speed and our safeties have mostly been linebacker speed for the SEC. We aren't there yet, but look to be the fastest defense we've had in a few years. Ramsey brings good speed off the edge and Agim from the inside if he stays there. Taylor can run also. I think Chavis' aggressive style is something we've been missing for a long time.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2018, 05:59:37 am »

From 2009-2015 Chavis defenses averaged allowing just 11.4 TD pts/gm. From 2016-2017 that average has jumped to 19.4 TD pts/gm. I'm hoping that Chavis can find the magic he had during the 2009-2015 seasons. If he can, I feel confident that we are going to score enough to win more than last season and perhaps as many as 8 games.

ALLVOL

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2018, 01:32:05 pm »

From 2009-2015 Chavis defenses averaged allowing just 11.4 TD pts/gm. From 2016-2017 that average has jumped to 19.4 TD pts/gm. I'm hoping that Chavis can find the magic he had during the 2009-2015 seasons. If he can, I feel confident that we are going to score enough to win more than last season and perhaps as many as 8 games.
If the HC will leave Chavis alone then y'all will be fine. Fulmer and Miles stayed the hell out of the way and his defense was darned good. He knows what he's doing.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2018, 05:10:12 pm »

I predict that the Hogs will be extremely salty on defense this year....  I would even probably bet real and good money on it...

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2018, 06:09:15 pm »

overall scoring has gone up, in that period of time

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2018, 06:26:51 pm »

More spread and tempo. Chief has struggled with it at times.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2018, 07:34:12 pm »

Average TD points scored p/gm by Div I teams has increased from 19 to 20.1 from the 2010 season through the 2017 season. Not as much as you might think.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2018, 07:52:51 pm »

Because despite his mantra, Bert often flinched.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2018, 03:15:36 pm »

It was the same thing in Robb Smith's last year. We had the secondary and the DL to be run the 2014 style defense again. All spring they were busy setting up the defense to do just that. Come game day? The coaching staff got cold feet and backed off.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2018, 03:26:36 pm »

We have two All SEC caliber Linebackers for the first time in years. Greenlaw looked super fast in the spring game and Harris played his assignments very well. Henry brings good speed and I love his physicality. He's in the mold of an undersized Tony Bua, Jerico Nelson, Zac Painter type who's a tweener with closer to safety size, but good speed for an olb. Some of Arkansas' best defenses have had this.

We all want three line backers that are 6'4" 250 that run 4.5's, but reality is we have always had to take one or two guys that were undersized but physical and use their speed to compensate. One thing Nutt's defenses always had were good speed. Pulley is a very good corner especially for a physical man to man type defense which we will be more in this season than we've been since Reggie Herring was the DC.

Curl brings more speed to safety. It's been years since we've had two safeties on the field with SEC quality speed. While I think Ramirez and Curl are average SEC safety speed not elite, we haven't had average at both spots there in a long time. I think they are faster than Tramain Thomas, Eric Bennett, Alan Turner, Michael Hewitt, Matt Harris, Josh Liddell, Rashaad Johnson, etc. I'm not bagging on those guys, but none of them were running anyone down from behind. Ramirez has it in spurts, he impressed me when he ran down Trevor Knoght from behind a couple years ago in Dallas.

The last 10 years or so our corners have mostly been safety speed and our safeties have mostly been linebacker speed for the SEC. We aren't there yet, but look to be the fastest defense we've had in a few years. Ramsey brings good speed off the edge and Agim from the inside if he stays there. Taylor can run also. I think Chavis' aggressive style is something we've been missing for a long time.

Tramain Thomas ran a 4.51 forty and that wasn't just short's speed. He played fast too. Liddell ran a 4.56.

NFL average speed for a safety is 4.53 for the FS and 4.55 for the SS. And again, that's NFL. While the SEC is very good, it's still well below the NFL.

I doubt any of our safeties run in the 4.4's (or 4.50) and thus would be faster than Thomas. Another caveat is that our corners have actually had corner speed. Don't care enough to find it and link it, but in my post detailing our team's athleticism as defined by pro-day/combine results, our corners have done pretty well. Going by memory, Mitchel, McKinney, and Collins all ran in the 4.4's with the average being somewhere in the 4.5's.

That said, I do agree with your larger premise. We go about 8 years or so inbetween having all conference level safeties and even then, rarely do we have two starters at that level, and we very well could this season.

wildhogman

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2018, 09:16:04 am »

More spread and tempo. Chief has struggled with it at times.
so has sabin. Infact is there ANY head coach or DC that has actually stopped a tempo team with equal talent?

razorsharptusk

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Fightin' Lumberjacks!
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2018, 10:25:12 am »

Chavis was hands down the best option available for us.

That said, we are still several impact players away from making the jump needed to compete week in and out

But after being absolutely terrible the last 3 season, glad to have and agressive and proven plan.

Chavis said as much when asked about the defense as well.  It is a growing process. We are not there today but today is necessary to get there soon.

TNRazorbacker

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2018, 11:18:53 am »

We’ll still have challenges. Hard to field a strong defense in the SEC without strong horses. We need a D that attacks and disrupts. None of this sit back and react crap. We seem to wind up giving up big plays regardless. At least we increase our chances of stops for loss by attacking.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas