• 396,050 Topics
• 22,370 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hogs defense  (Read 5440 times)

Hogindasticks

Hogs defense
« on: April 07, 2018, 02:24:29 pm »

Looks to me with the addition of the new guys this fall....gonna be stiff!

Wardhog85

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Hogs defense
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 02:30:13 pm »

I think we have some really nice pieces. Going to be much improved. I an really excited about our defensive backfield. Challoway,Curl,Ramierez,and Pulley are gonna be solid!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 02:34:31 pm »

First unit will be okay.  Hope we avoid too many injuries.

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 02:40:48 pm »

Look slow to me.

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 02:48:22 pm »

Look slow to me.
For real, are you a Hog fan?  I have never seen a positive take from you about anything we are doing.  Ever.

Adding to my ignore list.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 03:05:26 pm »

Look slow to me.

I am sorry...wasn't referring to your competence.

Al Boarland

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 03:15:32 pm »

For real, are you a Hog fan?  I have never seen a positive take from you about anything we are doing.  Ever.

You can take me off when you see that Iím right.

King Kong

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 03:23:11 pm »

Chavis was hands down the best option available for us.

That said, we are still several impact players away from making the jump needed to compete week in and out

But after being absolutely terrible the last 3 season, glad to have and agressive and proven plan.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:48:28 pm by King Kong »

ALLVOL

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 07:31:10 pm »

I DVR the game and just watched it. Without question the team looked better overall. The defense looked really good and will only be better by season start.
I told y'all that you will be happy with Chavis and you will see I'm right. Some idiot UT fans got spoiled with him and seem to remember him quite differently than reality. If he isn't wearing Orange then I'm glad he's in Fville.

ALLVOL

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 07:32:59 pm »

Look slow to me.
I agree they're not as fast as they could be. But even you have to admit they were in position all day, played aggressive, smart and with discipline.

Al Boarland

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 07:35:36 pm »

I agree they're not as fast as they could be. But even you have to admit they were in position all day, played aggressive, smart and with discipline.

Iíd hope so. Theyíve been seeing the same plays all spring.

ALLVOL

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 07:38:26 pm »

Iíd hope so. Theyíve been seeing the same plays all spring.
Did they know the play calls? What a moronic thing to say. Have you EVER watched scrimmages of ANY team?

VirginiaHog

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 07:38:54 pm »

They looked great. Add to that a few who didn't play and the new guys ... plus Morris said the d played pretty basic d.

Al Boarland

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 07:42:46 pm »

Did they know the play calls? What a moronic thing to say. Have you EVER watched scrimmages of ANY team?

Yeah, I would hope they would have a pretty good idea based on formation and motions. I mean, thatís what they do for every opponent. Do you even football?

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 07:43:49 pm »

There is a noticeable difference when you see people play their natural positions, rather than being horned into a makeshift conversion project.

This is the most promising area of this football team.

ALLVOL

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 07:52:03 pm »

Yeah, I would hope they would have a pretty good idea based on formation and motions. I mean, thatís what they do for every opponent. Do you even football?
Learn your new coaches offense and you will see just how dumb your comment is.

Wild Bill Hog

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 07:52:42 pm »

There is a noticeable difference when you see people play their natural positions, rather than being horned into a makeshift conversion project.

Exactly.  They looked comfortable with the positions they were playing.

Al Boarland

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 07:55:57 pm »

Learn your new coaches offense and you will see just how dumb your comment is.

We have the one coach who perfectly masks all his plays? Incredible.

ALLVOL

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 08:00:15 pm »

We have the one coach who perfectly masks all his plays? Incredible.
LOL man... here's a hint scooter,  if you recorded the game just watch it again and see how many different plays they run from the same set.

Al Boarland

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 08:05:25 pm »

LOL man... here's a hint scooter,  if you recorded the game just watch it again and see how many different plays they run from the same set.
Who do you think they practice those plays against?

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 08:05:50 pm »

i mean... ALLVOL is school'n you, Al. damn.

ALLVOL

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 08:08:08 pm »

Who do you think they practice those plays against?
Ok, you're brilliant and the rest of the world is wrong. Coaches are stupid for even scrimmaging because obviously both sides know exactly what the other is going to do, thus rendering a scrimmage worthless. Dang your a genius...

Al Boarland

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2018, 08:09:26 pm »

i mean... ALLVOL is school'n you, Al. damn.

Iím not sure a vote of confidence from you holds a lot of water, but if you agree with him more power to you. Iím just saying the D has pretty good idea whatís going to happen. If they donít weíll have issues when the season rolls around.

Wild Bill Hog

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 08:09:51 pm »

Ok, you're brilliant and the rest of the world is wrong. Coaches are stupid for even scrimmaging because obviously both sides know exactly what the other is going to do, thus rendering a scrimmage worthless. Dang your a genius...

Obviously he learned at the Bert School.

ALLVOL

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 08:14:46 pm »

Iím not sure a vote of confidence from you holds a lot of water, but if you agree with him more power to you. Iím just saying the D has pretty good idea whatís going to happen. If they donít weíll have issues when the season rolls around.
Alright I'm gonna try to help you out. Chad's offense is similar in many ways to Gus M's in that not only do they go fast but there are very few sets for the offense yet the offense rune a bunch of plays from those very few sets. The offense determines the play according to how the defense is set. So the defense will see essentially the same offensive set all the time and not know what's coming. Sure there are nuances such as 3rd and long or short distance plays. But what makes Morris offense affective is speed and presnap reads/adjustments according to the defensive set.

Al Boarland

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 08:29:15 pm »

Alright I'm gonna try to help you out. Chad's offense is similar in many ways to Gus M's in that not only do they go fast but there are very few sets for the offense yet the offense rune a bunch of plays from those very few sets. The offense determines the play according to how the defense is set. So the defense will see essentially the same offensive set all the time and not know what's coming. Sure there are nuances such as 3rd and long or short distance plays. But what makes Morris offense affective is speed and presnap reads/adjustments according to the defensive set.

I can appreciate your knowledge of the O, but that doesnít mean there arenít tendencies and after 12-15 practices the defense doesnít recognize what the options are for the O given the formation.

You could be right. Chadís and GMís O tricks the D every time. No one even watches film on them b/c itís pointless. You can never have a good idea whatís going to happen for any given play...

Hawgboy64

• Varsity
  • Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 08:35:04 pm »

The only thing you can really gleam from a spring game are fundamentals and athleticism. 
For the most part I thought the defense was sound, but we are lacking at receiver.

RaisinHog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2018, 08:35:54 pm »

Best thing i saw was that we swarmed too the ball on D every group we had out there in both halves .. it was always 11 guys going too the football and I love that

ALLVOL

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2018, 09:33:48 pm »

I can appreciate your knowledge of the O, but that doesnít mean there arenít tendencies and after 12-15 practices the defense doesnít recognize what the options are for the O given the formation.

You could be right. Chadís and GMís O tricks the D every time. No one even watches film on them b/c itís pointless. You can never have a good idea whatís going to happen for any given play...
Bless your heart... you struggle in life I bet.

lakecityhog

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 09:00:21 am »

Al, sometimes if you find yourself in a hole the best advice is to quit digging! You are either not a Razorback fan or you just like to argue even when you are wrong.

HogginUp

• Band Nerd
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 10:15:10 am »

I think we have some really nice pieces. Going to be much improved. I an really excited about our defensive backfield. Challoway,Curl,Ramierez,and Pulley are gonna be solid!
+1

HF#1

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 10:51:49 am »

There will be good and bad with this defense. Which will be an improvement from the days of all bad.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 12:42:51 pm »

There will be good and bad with this defense. Which will be an improvement from the days of all bad.

Since 2 highly talented starters up front were not playing, it can only get better.

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 12:45:27 pm »

Amazing what coaching can do. Imagine the difference once more speed is injected, and possibly (I know this is a rarity, basically the bigfoot of Hog football) actual depth *gasp*

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 01:16:48 pm »

Amazing what coaching can do. Imagine the difference once more speed is injected, and possibly (I know this is a rarity, basically the bigfoot of Hog football) actual depth *gasp*

Most of it looks to be just on scheme alone;  there's a lot of coaching left to be done, but this shows just how left-handed we were trying to convert to the 3-4 last year, when so many said 'We could not be worse defensively, by going to the 3-4'--    not all change is improvement, but going back to what we have recruited personnel for 3 of the last 4 years should help a lot-- and showed that it was helping, on Saturday.

Lao Tsuie

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 02:36:12 pm »

Thank you as these were almost my exact thoughts.

Lao Tsuie

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2018, 02:50:34 pm »

Anyway overall impression was that a great defense like bama looks like they have 13-14  guys out there.  We looked like we had 12 a lot of the times. The defense was where I was the most pleased.
But remember the offense has a muzzle on, so looking forward to seeing it open up this fall. We really need more zip but it looked like the qbs. are being taught "touch" on the short ones and to put air under those 30-40 I didn't see the straight drop called bomb could be wrong.

liljo

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 03:08:18 pm »

I agree that both the offenses and defenses shown Saturday were base. But it sure looked like a faster overall defense on the field than it has the last few years. There is certainly more athleticism, and like was pointed out by Guv, there were a few certain starters out (most notably, Agim).

Like another pointed out, there was a LOT of group tackling. There were people flying to the football. And, even from the base 4-3, there was control at the line of scrimmage and ample penetration on obvious passing downs. They certainly didn't show a lot of the 3-2-6 "mustang" (at least I don't recall it--I admittedly was paying more attention to the offense).

I really expect the defense to come on strong this season, especially if they can stay healthy. I at least don't expect them to just "sit back and try to contain." They ARE going to attack, I fully believe that. And there IS some significant help on the way before Game One. Hopefully Dorian Gerald will be able to step in right away and provide depth at DE, and while there isn't a lot of talk, I expect Billy Ferrell to step in right away on the interior. He may not start, but I bet he pushes the starters. I don't see him redshirting. In time, I think he will be a sure-enough monster.

I left the game with pretty high hopes for the defense. I think the offense is still very much a work in progress, but I think they'll get there. I'm more worried about special teams play than anything else right now. I am least worried about these coaches. I just think these coaches--this whole group--are an awesome group. And that is big-Big-BIG for us.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 04:16:57 pm »

having curl, calloway, pulley on the field at the same time make the defense faster. looks like they are going to use ramsey like chavis did myles garrett at a&m, just go get the qb on every play.

that makes the defense faster already

liljo

• Senior
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 05:02:32 pm »

having curl, calloway, pulley on the field at the same time make the defense faster. looks like they are going to use ramsey like chavis did myles garrett at a&m, just go get the qb on every play.

that makes the defense faster already
Yes it does.

And I agree, Ramsey is going to have to be accounted for on every down--ESPECIALLY obvious passing downs.

311Hog

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 05:05:46 pm »

Look slow to me.

sub freezing temps, sleet, new defense install.

all things that could slow a person down no?

I thought they did well considering Sosa wasn't there.  I mean hell if we just move to middle of the pack from last in defense i suspect that will equal a few more wins alone.

urkillnmesmalls

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 05:11:09 pm »

I saw more hard hits in that spring game than I think I saw all of last year during our SEC schedule.  Seriously, I'm not even kidding. 

I have a feeling we may give up more big plays, but we're going to force teams to make quicker decisions.  Hopefully that will make it more likely for us to at least beat the teams we are supposed to beat instead of letting them do what they want to do and stand back there uncontested and fling it all over the field.  I've seen enough of that...

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 06:05:56 pm »

It was nice to see some hard hitting and tackles. I feel our D will be salty. In the red/white game they practice against the same guys day after day. It's really no indication because it's planned. As Coach has said in an actual game situation there are game plans, analysis and attacking tendencies of the other team including adjustments during the game which I had not seen much in the last few years. I am excited about this defense and hope to see them keep offenses on the sideline.

ballinhog

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2018, 03:52:36 am »

Guys like Foucha, Mason, Bishop, Gerald, Parker and even Ferrell will add depth and speed immediately. I think all these guys are in the top 25 roatation on defense this season

Hogindasticks

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2018, 10:23:45 am »

I saw some great stuff on defense our defense is going to be stiff this year

Hogindasticks

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2018, 10:27:38 am »

Agim Sosa Gerald and the rest of the defensive ends that we don't have yet Billy Ferrell will be more depth...our defense is going to be tough this year

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2018, 10:37:17 am »

He does have a good point.  And from now on I will start quoting him just so you will have to read his posts anyway .....:P

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2018, 10:51:48 am »

Agim Sosa Gerald and the rest of the defensive ends that we don't have yet Billy Ferrell will be more depth...our defense is going to be tough this year

You do know these two are the same person, right?

steveaustin69

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2018, 10:55:29 am »

Hogindasticks

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2018, 11:11:43 am »

i do absolutely apologize...i couldnt remember his other name.  Its my bad....i will go lay on the tracks this evening and let the other train run over me and put stupidity at it's end.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas