• 396,059 Topics
• 22,370 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Return to Grass?  (Read 6799 times)

McKdaddy

Re: Return to Grass?
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2018, 12:07:35 pm »

This thread is outstanding. Hogville needs more grassguys. Great job grassguy.

Agreed.

McKdaddy

« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2018, 12:09:49 pm »

I had a nice-looking fescue yard until moles infiltrated the neighborhood.  >:(

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HogPharmer

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2018, 12:14:56 pm »

I always put out some of those Triazicide granules. You can see where the moles burrow across the neighbors yard towards mine then it's like they just hit a brick wall and turn once they get to where I put that stuff out.

McKdaddy

« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2018, 12:26:48 pm »

I always put out some of those Triazicide granules. You can see where the moles burrow across the neighbors yard towards mine then it's like they just hit a brick wall and turn once they get to where I put that stuff out.

I’ll look for those at Lowe’s....in the tunnels or sprinkled across the top of your lawn?

Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter

• President and life time member of the Hobby Shop.
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • SPORTS HAS NEVER BEEN SO UGLY!
    • facebook.com/uglyuncle.
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2018, 12:28:47 pm »

Then I wonder why T Boone Pickens stadium at Okla St. has artificial turf...........

I'm quoting you here because I didn't want to go all the way back to your first thought on grass being slower for everyone.

The more I've thought about it I see your point and get what you are saying.

I remember in the 80's and 90's the St. Louis Cardinals were built on speed.  Other MLB teams that had grass would let their grass grow to slow them down.  That was baseball though and it makes sense to do that.

I get your point in football.  If you are slower than a team, slowing them down doesn't help you because you are still going to be slower too.

I believe the thinking it that if you are playing half of your games at home, you should shape your field to your strength.  A slow ground and pound game, lets get grass, keep it high because we don't worry about speed.  Especially if most of the teams that will be coming to our house is built more on speed.

Turf will allow you to make your cuts crisper, but you are right on the other.  Even if you slow down the other team, you are also slowing down yourself so the net effect is zero.

HogPharmer

« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2018, 12:31:40 pm »

I’ll look for those at Lowe’s....in the tunnels or sprinkled across the top of your lawn?

Just spread it across your yard with a seed spreader. Just make sure it's going to rain within a couple days of putting it out. You need the rain (or sprinkler) to dissolve the granules. If you kill their food source, they evacuate quickly and go looking for their food in someone else's yard. I think it's only about $12 or so for a bag of it that'll probably cover 1/4 of an acre.

McKdaddy

« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2018, 12:37:55 pm »

Just spread it across your yard with a seed spreader. Just make sure it's going to rain within a couple days of putting it out. You need the rain (or sprinkler) to dissolve the granules. If you kill their food source, they evacuate quickly and go looking for their food in someone else's yard. I think it's only about $12 or so for a bag of it that'll probably cover 1/4 of an acre.

Thanks, I look forward to trying that. I’ve used the sonic spikes, grubs, traps, my insect/pest company, and an individual trapper. These things work for a while then the mole(s) come back after a couple of months. And so it has gone for about 4 years. Our neighborhood HOA maintenance company said they won’t go away from the neighborhood until everyone treats for them. So they keep hanging out. Ugh.

I’ll head to Lowe’s tonight. Last question, HP — what is the frequency you apply these granules?

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2018, 12:42:08 pm »

I've got a nice looking Fescue yard that armadillos liked to dig up.  I bought some 'grub' killing granule stuff at Lowe's, broadcast it on the yard, and within 3 days I had dead grubs by the dozens scattered all over my yard.  The armadillos are digging in my neighbors yard today.   

HogPharmer

« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2018, 12:47:28 pm »

Thanks, I look forward to trying that. I’ve used the sonic spikes, grubs, traps, my insect/pest company, and an individual trapper. These things work for a while then the mole(s) come back after a couple of months. And so it has gone for about 4 years. Our neighborhood HOA maintenance company said they won’t go away from the neighborhood until everyone treats for them. So they keep hanging out. Ugh.

I’ll head to Lowe’s tonight. Last question, HP — what is the frequency you apply these granules?

I don't do it as often as I should... Usually by the end of the summer, I've given up on maintaining my lawn... It's hard to put work into it especially when its 100+ degrees outside and all your grass is fried. But I would say you should probably put those granules out at minimum every 6 months. They seem to always last me 4 to 6 months before the varmints start coming back.

Jim

« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2018, 01:40:24 pm »

EXCELLENT advice, HP!!  I've been watching some moles pop-up all over my backyard and was told to trap the critters to properly get rid of them.  I had no idea there were pellets I could spread.  I may be headed to Lowe's later today as well.  Thanks again!

SwineGrind

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2018, 05:08:42 pm »

I wonder why grass?  Usually speed guys like turf. 

It could be a safety issue.  Turf can be softer, but those little black beads can get in your lungs and cause serious problems.
THIS times a million!!!!!

WorfHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • mupwI' tInwI'
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2018, 06:02:46 pm »

If it were up to the Arkansas state legislature, the UA would say we want grass and the legislature would take 4 years to make it happen.

Gotta vote the bums holding it up out of office.

Wild Bill Hog

« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2018, 08:19:17 pm »

Pepsi fan and stock holder here.  But I really don't care that much.  I just get a kick out of people who get all worked up over it. 

You do realize you are the only person making a serious post on this subject don't you?

twistitup

« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2018, 08:37:26 pm »

We should plant English Ivy. It will slow the opponent down, plus no other team in the nation plays on English Ivy

Wild Bill Hog

« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2018, 08:50:53 pm »

Les Miles says grass tastes better than turf.

HogPharmer

« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2018, 09:54:23 pm »

EXCELLENT advice, HP!!  I've been watching some moles pop-up all over my backyard and was told to trap the critters to properly get rid of them.  I had no idea there were pellets I could spread.  I may be headed to Lowe's later today as well.  Thanks again!

I hope it helps. I don’t consider myself an expert on lawn care by any means. I hit my lawn with weed and feed (gotta be Scott’s brand... try to save a buck and buy a different brand and you’ll regret it 6 week’s later) in late April and spread the bug killer to starve the moles so they move along and that’s about it. But I have some good looking grass for at least a few months out of the year.

jvanhorn

« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2018, 10:33:23 pm »

I would like to see it go back to grass. Old school. Football was meant to be played on grass and in the open.
[/quote

Grass!  Almost every Major League Baseball team has gone from turf back to grass--there is a reason.

Rudy Baylor

• Hogvillian
  • We're afraid of STP girls Bluto
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2018, 11:01:16 pm »

Dude... dont tangle with Benny. He's 100 times the poster you are.

Okay Guaranteed Mike Norvell Guy

trippigs

« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2018, 08:00:26 am »

Grass is great.....

southeasthog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Resident Inspector
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2018, 08:16:56 am »

I remember in the 80's and 90's the St. Louis Cardinals were built on speed.  Other MLB teams that had grass would let their grass grow to slow them down.  That was baseball though and it makes sense to do that.

I am a long time Cubs fan. Started watching them in the late 70's when WGN carried all the games. I remember an announcer saying "It looks like they mowed the infield with a helicopter" referring to how tall it was.

twistitup

« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2018, 08:36:56 am »

Hawg2afault

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2018, 11:52:04 am »

I have some of the old Razorback turf in my backyard.  I got several rolls when they pulled it all up. 

ballinhog

« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2018, 03:58:53 am »

I would be the happiest guy on hogville if we went back to natural grass.

I’ve always liked grass more than the turf. To me football was meant to be played on real grass. If you’re in the 4th quarter of a football game and have no grass stains, that’s no fun. When it’s raining and you’re in the 4th quarter and no one is muddy, that’s no fun.

I hope this happens. I hope it happens this season

prattville pig

« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2018, 06:02:07 am »

grass makes me happy too

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2018, 07:13:59 am »

Didn't DMac, MJ and those teams play on grass?....or had we changed to turf by then?

twistitup

« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2018, 07:23:42 am »

Didn't DMac, MJ and those teams play on grass?....or had we changed to turf by then?

Dmac...MJ?

Lovin' dat Grass

jkstock04

« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2018, 07:24:00 am »

We didn’t change to the fancy artificial turf until Petrino arrived. I would wager a lot of old school people still think it’s like 1970s putt putt style stuff, which is the furthest from the truth.

I never got a chance to play on any of it as it was a little before my time. But I think it would be a pretty nice surface to play on.

The last thing this team needs in immediate fashion is to be slowed down even more, we are slow enough as it is. I would be interested to see a list of the teams that play on real grass who also employ a spread/run & gun offense.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2018, 07:38:42 am »

Dmac...MJ?

Lovin' dat Grass

Ha!

We didn’t change to the fancy artificial turf until Petrino arrived. I would wager a lot of old school people still think it’s like 1970s putt putt style stuff, which is the furthest from the truth.

I never got a chance to play on any of it as it was a little before my time. But I think it would be a pretty nice surface to play on.

The last thing this team needs in immediate fashion is to be slowed down even more, we are slow enough as it is. I would be interested to see a list of the teams that play on real grass who also employ a spread/run & gun offense.

I am probably completely wrong, but I am thinking LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and possibly Alabama and Tennessee play on grass.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2018, 08:09:54 am »

Gotta vote the bums holding it up out of office.
problem is, you just replace them with new bums.

grassguy

• Walk-On
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2018, 08:18:47 am »

I am probably completely wrong, but I am thinking LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and possibly Alabama and Tennessee play on grass.

We are currently in the company of Kentucky, Missouri, and Vanderbilt as the only schools in the SEC that have a synthetic turf field in their stadium.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2018, 08:40:05 am »

I love Grass and I hope we return to it.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2018, 08:45:52 am »

We are currently in the company of Kentucky, Missouri, and Vanderbilt as the only schools in the SEC that have a synthetic turf field in their stadium.

Note that most all of the SEC schools that have natural grass surfaces in their football stadiums are located in warmer climate areas. Tennessee is the only exception. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why most of the northern schools in the SEC prefer Synthetic Turf.

WeHogs

• Band Nerd
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2018, 08:50:28 am »

This would make sense based on where we are located along with those schools. Tenn is talking about going to turf as well.

Its much easier to grow grass in AL, FL, LA, Texas and Miss State is known for their turf management.

UGA built their stadium E-W so the sun would help with the grass growth.  I believe our stadium is the complete opposite.

Ole Miss is another school that has the artificial turf. Texas has turf as well.

Do people not remember how terrible our grass used to look?  The field was half brown.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2018, 08:59:46 am »

This would make sense based on where we are located along with those schools. Tenn is talking about going to turf as well.

Its much easier to grow grass in AL, FL, LA, Texas and Miss State is known for their turf management.

UGA built their stadium E-W so the sun would help with the grass growth.  I believe our stadium is the complete opposite.

Ole Miss is another school that has the artificial turf. Texas has turf as well.

Do people not remember how terrible our grass used to look?  The field was half brown.

Good post. Some have obviously forgotten that in addition to Petrino wanting Synthetic Turf, another reason for the change to Turf that was mentioned at the time is that the Grass field was extremely difficult to maintain late in the season. I don't see them going back to grass. You are correct about Tennessee looking at going to Synthetic Turf. Their location in the Mountains makes maintaining a Grass Surface late in the season very difficult too.

grassguy

• Walk-On
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2018, 10:17:06 am »

Ole Miss returned to natural grass prior to the 2016 season. There have been great strides made genetically in Bermudagrasses that allow them to succeed in more northern climates since we last had grass in the stadium 10 years ago.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2018, 10:28:52 am »

I wonder if any facility on the planet still has AstroTurf. I played on that crap in WMS in the '84 title game. Can't believe someone thought that was a good idea. Getting tackled on your kitchen floor is less painful.

Razor1997

• Senior
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2018, 11:05:16 am »

I wonder if any facility on the planet still has AstroTurf. I played on that crap in WMS in the '84 title game. Can't believe someone thought that was a good idea. Getting tackled on your kitchen floor is less painful.

The AstroTurf brand produces a newer style of turf now which is in use at quite a few places.  I don't think anyone still has the old 1970s style short-pile AstroTurf over concrete.

DLUXHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2018, 11:28:27 am »

Our losing ways started with that poison Pepsi.  We MUST get coke back.

And here I thought those “ways” started with running off Holtz & Hatfield and then hiring noodlehead nutt....

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2018, 02:33:45 pm »

I believe that the grass people and artificial turf people are actually the same people and much like razor blades and toothbrushes, they need to upgrade is cyclical. We'll put in grass and then in 10 years replace with the newest, greatest artificial turf ever invented.

HogPharmer

« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2018, 05:14:40 pm »

Ole Miss returned to natural grass prior to the 2016 season. There have been great strides made genetically in Bermudagrasses that allow them to succeed in more northern climates since we last had grass in the stadium 10 years ago.

Yeah, Ole Miss is big on the natural "grass"....

Under the 1961 international Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs and the 1970 Controlled Substances Act (CSA), the federal government is the single “agent” allowed to provide marijuana for research. As of now, the DEA has only authorized one grower, the University of Mississippi, which grows marijuana under contract with the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). As part of this contract, UM holds a DEA Schedule-I Bulk Manufacturer registration to cultivate plants for this purpose.

https://pharmacy.olemiss.edu/marijuana/

twistitup

« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2018, 07:31:43 pm »

Yeah, Ole Miss is big on the natural "grass"....

Under the 1961 international Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs and the 1970 Controlled Substances Act (CSA), the federal government is the single “agent” allowed to provide marijuana for research. As of now, the DEA has only authorized one grower, the University of Mississippi, which grows marijuana under contract with the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). As part of this contract, UM holds a DEA Schedule-I Bulk Manufacturer registration to cultivate plants for this purpose.

https://pharmacy.olemiss.edu/marijuana/

It is Mississippi - I mean...

https://www.wptv.com/news/national/mississippi-sonic-asks-customers-to-stop-smoking-weed-in-drive-thru

HogPharmer

« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2018, 07:49:21 pm »

Hoggish1

« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2018, 08:30:33 pm »

Much grass.

Hoggish1

« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2018, 08:32:56 pm »

IIRC turf is actually cheaper to maintain in the long run than grass. I remember a discussion about that before. Grass has much more constant maintenance.

Fine.  Switch to coke and with the increased revenue, maintain the grass.

Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter

• President and life time member of the Hobby Shop.
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • SPORTS HAS NEVER BEEN SO UGLY!
    • facebook.com/uglyuncle.
« Reply #144 on: April 10, 2018, 09:58:12 pm »

Fine.  Switch to coke and with the increased revenue, maintain the grass.

Can't go wrong with coke and grass.

Tejano Jawg

• GO HOGS! BRING THE HEAT!
« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2018, 10:20:07 pm »

Here's some turf trivia…the old Razorback Stadium turf (can't remember what era, probably the early Holtz years) had a lean to it, or a direction that the 'blades' slanted. For example, if you rubbed it with your hand from west to east it would be smooth. But east to west would feel rough, sorta against the grain.

I remember this because it would affect how well players could cut. Sometimes they'd spin out and lose their footing, and a broadcast dude might say that's because of the direction of the grain/slant.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2018, 11:36:05 pm »

https://wolterskluwer.com/company/newsroom/news/health/2010/10/is-field-turf-faster-than-natural-grass.html

Study showed that forty times aren't statistically different between turf and grass. However, agility times increased by about 3%.

So, at least with the experimental design they used, neither makes you straight line faster, but turf helps you change direction faster. This could be fast teams would see a bigger benefit than power teams. The faster team would use more quick screens and such requiring wiggle players like Adams while the power team would be more north south and not have as many opportunities to utilize the enhanced agility.

twistitup

« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2018, 05:04:54 am »

https://wolterskluwer.com/company/newsroom/news/health/2010/10/is-field-turf-faster-than-natural-grass.html

Study showed that forty times aren't statistically different between turf and grass. However, agility times increased by about 3%.

So, at least with the experimental design they used, neither makes you straight line faster, but turf helps you change direction faster. This could be fast teams would see a bigger benefit than power teams. The faster team would use more quick screens and such requiring wiggle players like Adams while the power team would be more north south and not have as many opportunities to utilize the enhanced agility.

Great analysis Benny....tell me again about "wiggle players".

Why are you on a message board and not coaching? With your level of enhanced intelligence ,the sky is the limit

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2018, 03:54:45 pm »

Great analysis Benny....tell me again about "wiggle players".

Joe Adams is a wiggle player in contrast to say a Jarius Wright who was more of a n-s player. Wiggle players use spins, and jukes, and stutter steps. They are dancing out on the field.

Why are you on a message board and not coaching? With your level of enhanced intelligence ,the sky is the limit

Doesn't take "enhanced intelligence" to sit back and comment on work that somebody else has done. As for why I'm not coaching? I prefer being the researcher. It's what I enjoy.

twistitup

« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2018, 04:08:07 pm »

I prefer being the researcher.

Sweet
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas