• 393,971 Topics
• 22,235 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Here's where I am with Mike...  (Read 3049 times)

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Here's where I am with Mike...
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2018, 09:54:46 am »

It wasn't said we lacked SOME fundamentals. That's what I am arguing. Sure we lacked some, most teams do, the ones that don't win a NC. But to say we had no fundamentals or lack fundamentals as blanket statement isn't true. I agree that this team was not forced to play team basketball and that's where this team failed.

Also the drill you talk about? They do every day. Their blowout drill the ball never touches the ground.

Even more frustrated with the coaching staff then that they practice it yet we see the selfishness on the fast breaks.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2018, 09:57:38 am »

My issue with Mike is that they are still losing games the way they did in his 1st and 2nd seasons. You can say it is a lack of fundamentals ( if you consider things like blocking out, proper defensive position and rotations to be fundamentals). Offensively, they still have long stretches where they are stagnant, where the "motion" consists of one or two guys dribbling out the shot clock, and they often look lost against a zone defense.

Are those fundamental, or coaching or both? Hearing a dozen times a year that the opponent " just can't miss " goes far beyond the bad luck to catch someone on a hot night. That happens in basketball, but not as often as it happens to the Hogs. One need look no farther than the 2 LSu game this season. LSU comes to BWA and takes the hogs apart. One would think, when the Hogs go to Baton Rogue, they might try something different after what happened the 1st game, but no, game plan is exactly the same and so is the result. Not even an attempt to change things up, when you know what happened the 1st time. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HoopS

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2018, 10:04:02 am »

There are areas I donít like with Mikeís coaching.

Most are the same as others.

Sometimes I wish weíd forget tempo and crash boards. Especially on the road.

Iím not a fan, at all, of bigs drifting into three point land on defense.

Iíd prefer he get his 4ís to understand a long 2 is a horrible shot and youíre option 5, donít freaking shoot unless the clock is winding down.

There are other things that pop up here and there.

But overall, heís elevated us from where we were.

I want consistency in the tournament and we need to figure out how to advance like his previous teams did.

Roster management - sure, it can be scary. But I see it happening all over the country. We arenít immune. But it doesnít buy excuses from me. Deal with it and keep winning. Or Iíll be ready to change.

mhuff

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2018, 10:09:05 am »

I agree with what you are saying. But while we had many deficiencies we did not lack all individual fundamentals. We definitely had issues with being selfless and playing team basketball.

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2018, 10:28:01 am »

Iíd prefer he get his 4ís to understand a long 2 is a horrible shot and youíre option 5, donít freaking shoot unless the clock is winding down.

I want consistency in the tournament and we need to figure out how to advance like his previous teams did.

Roster management - sure, it can be scary. But I see it happening all over the country. We arenít immune. But it doesnít buy excuses from me. Deal with it and keep winning. Or Iíll be ready to change.
Amen!

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2018, 10:35:40 am »

I agree with what you are saying. But while we had many deficiencies we did not lack all individual fundamentals. We definitely had issues with being selfless and playing team basketball.

Yep, the seniors were good kids and some very good players, but we didn't have a true leader.  Being a big and being in the program 4 straight years, it probably should have been Trey, but if that's not his personality or just not in him, I'm not going to knock him for that. 

Sometimes you need a guy on the team that everyone is a little afraid of or at least oh sh*t if I keep this up he's going to be all over me, or someone to pull them together and say "we got this".  I think we will see more leadership and maturity with the players next year than this past season. 

Peter Porker

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2018, 10:41:29 am »

The program is healthy and is trending upward. I think even I expected a little more but the program waa dead before MA arrived.
Mike could have fallen into the sleazy recruiting tactics like Bruce Pearl and won a SEC championship. However, success the wrong way is often short lived and not sustainable. When Mike wins a national championship he will do it the right way.

Really looking forward to next season because the me guys are gone. I don't know how many games they will win but when you have chemistry and guys playing for each other you have a chance to be good.

LOL

Goodbye. In two years Missouri will be in the NIT. Arkansas will be a top 10 program.

The losses to Florida and Texas should have been by 60 points. If Mike Anderson was losing like that in his fourth year as coach what would you say? I'm a Mike Anderson fan and I probadly would be calling for a coaching change. Mick should remain in the program by the way. Mick, Portis, Kingsley, Harris and hopefully powell will make a nice frontcourt.

And you are willing to wait a looooong time. How's the updated resume looking?

Check the Resume. His resume is AWESOME!
He lead UAB to the Sweet 16 and lead Missouri to the Elite 8!
He is early in his second season at Arkansas and alot of people want to fire him right now. I want to see more fight out of this team but I'm willing to let Mike put the pieces in place. The guy has produced results!

Heard this before...

Keep Watching. Stay tuned in that's all I got to say about the direction of the Razorback basketball program. Stay Tuned In! This thing about to break in the right direction if you can't see it just STAY TUNED IN. Mike is getting guys that fit his style, fight, and basketball knowledge. The incoming underrated recruits this year did a great job.

Amazing the standard you hold one coach to as compared to the other. I wonder what the difference is between the coaches....

Coach B has preached this sermon all year long. Patience and Process! However, when you examine his work thus far he is not practicing what he preach.

1.The early decision to go with Brandon Allen as the lone QB. It would have been nice to have BM to run on third down but we have AJ Derby.

2. Onside kick against Auburn. The score was 7-3 and he spotted Auburn seven by not practicing what he preach.

3. Play Calling has been a result of not being patient with the run game. J. Will halfback pass is a primed example.

4. He continues to play our juniors and seniors in the secondary that are not producing. I would love to see more Dean Gaines and Marshall. I can take them making mistakes but Mitchell, Bennett and Turner.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2018, 10:46:13 am »

This. Sure there are things we personally would like to see different, and the tournament results could (will) be better, so I eer on the side of optimism.  Back to back tournaments, 3 in 4 years, recruiting trending up.. took longer than expected, but it would be foolish to change. We might be back in the tournament next year for the 3rd time in a row and this will all be moot. Nobody thought Tenn and Aub were gonna be as good as they were, but look what happened. NOBODY predicted that, so I don't want to hear it. We will be just as capable next year with a team that will play for each other and our lottery pick.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2018, 11:29:37 am »

With Mike, on average, we are probably a top 30 to top 50 level team the majority of the time.  Good, but not great.  However, after the barren wasteland that was Arkansas basketball for so long, you donít fire him unless you have the guy all but signed who can move us to the top 20.  You donít fire him and then search or you risk going back to the wasteland.

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2018, 11:36:41 am »

better yes, but i think the program has plateaued.

when you look at the roster, we are basically starting over.

I think you are being generous, program is in regression. Past season less than the season before, next season likely to be less than this season. So unless something unforeseen happens, like these freshman being much better than ranked, it will two to three years in best case scenario to get back to what they were two seasons ago.

Otis

• Varsity
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2018, 11:40:34 am »

With Mike, on average, we are probably a top 30 to top 50 level team the majority of the time.  Good, but not great.  However, after the barren wasteland that was Arkansas basketball for so long, you donít fire him unless you have the guy all but signed who can move us to the top 20.  You donít fire him and then search or you risk going back to the wasteland.

You do realize that Mike has been the head coach or assistant coach for 12 years of that barren wasteland?

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2018, 11:40:38 am »

I think you are being generous, program is in regression. Past season less than the season before, next season likely to be less than this season. So unless something unforeseen happens, like these freshman being much better than ranked, it will two to three years in best case scenario to get back to what they were two seasons ago.

😂😂😭 YOU CANT BE SERIOUS! REGRESSED??! 3 of 4 tournaments, back to back in idk how long with a talented bunch coming back in.. wow people keep moving the goal posts and now are in delusion.. I understand you don't want Mike here but geez this program had been in the crapper the last 20 years, this is far from regression.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2018, 11:45:41 am »

😂😂😭 YOU CANT BE SERIOUS! REGRESSED??! 3 of 4 tournaments, back to back in idk how long with a talented bunch coming back in.. wow people keep moving the goal posts and now are in delusion.. I understand you don't want Mike here but geez this program had been in the crapper the last 20 years, this is far from regression.

last back to back was in Heath's last two seasons, and wasnt enough to justify keeping him. 

Peter Porker

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2018, 11:55:07 am »

last back to back was in Heath's last two seasons, and wasnt enough to justify keeping him.

It's amazing how CMA defenders won't hold him to the same standard as they held previous coaches.

rude1

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2018, 11:56:15 am »

Won less games than previous season this season, done less in the tourney this year than last year, projections will be that we win less games next season with a tourney invite doubtful. Would you call that progression or regression as a trend?

azhog10

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2018, 11:57:21 am »

Won less games than previous season this season, done less in the tourney this year than last year, projections will be that we win less games next season with a tourney invite doubtful. Would you call that progression or regression as a trend?
If we don't make the tourney next year we will have definitely "regressed". But next year hasn't happened yet.

rude1

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2018, 11:58:28 am »

If we don't make the tourney next year we will have definitely "regressed". But next year hasn't happened yet.
UHHH, we have already regressed this past season from the previous season, next year will just be a continuing of the trend.

azhog10

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2018, 12:01:50 pm »

UHHH, we have already regressed this past season from the previous season, next year will just be a continuing of the trend.
Yeah I guess you could say that from a W-L column for sure. This team was not better than last years team and I'm not going to argue that. But from year to year you are going to have ups and downs. You can't tell me Izzo, Coach K, Roy, or others are going to get fired because their team next year isn't as good as their team this year......he still met the bar that his bosses put in front of him. Whether we like it or not right now he's judged off getting to the NCAAT. You don't like it, take it up with the AD and have him raise the bar. It would make sense to do so since Mike has at least provided some consistency in making the NCAAT.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2018, 12:02:35 pm »

The program is healthy and is trending upward. I think even I expected a little more but the program waa dead before MA arrived.
Mike could have fallen into the sleazy recruiting tactics like Bruce Pearl and won a SEC championship. However, success the wrong way is often short lived and not sustainable. When Mike wins a national championship he will do it the right way.

Really looking forward to next season because the me guys are gone. I don't know how many games they will win but when you have chemistry and guys playing for each other you have a chance to be good.

A program that has 9 new faces coming in next year is most certainly NOT healthy.

azhog10

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2018, 12:04:29 pm »

A program that has 9 new faces coming in next year is most certainly NOT healthy.
It is if the guys that left weren't going to provide what was needed in the locker room to establish a healthy culture going forward. Hell I'm sure they were loose as bird tho without a care in the world. Would have made for a relaxed locker room  ;D

MB Hog

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2018, 12:37:52 pm »

With that logic, any team that didn't go as far in the tourney this year as they did last year has regressed.

Our overall trend is up.  You cannot logically deny that.  You may not like the style of play, the coaching decisions, etc., but I think the numbers will show we've been better for the last four years than any four-year period this century.   

We don't know what to expect from this recruiting class, but we feel it is a good one.  And having Gafford back next year after a year in the weight room and a year working on his game gives a chance to be very, very good.  Like I've said before, I think the next 2 - 3 years will show whether we are going to continue the trend of improvement.  You can have your opinion, but the only way to prove it out is to play the games.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2018, 12:47:40 pm »

It is if the guys that left weren't going to provide what was needed in the locker room to establish a healthy culture going forward. Hell I'm sure they were loose as bird tho without a care in the world. Would have made for a relaxed locker room  ;D

From what I hear, the guys on the team currently are relieved to have all of the mess gone. That division was real, and showed on the court. Glad we got what we could out of this team.

rude1

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2018, 12:55:57 pm »

Yeah I guess you could say that from a W-L column for sure. This team was not better than last years team and I'm not going to argue that. But from year to year you are going to have ups and downs. You can't tell me Izzo, Coach K, Roy, or others are going to get fired because their team next year isn't as good as their team this year......he still met the bar that his bosses put in front of him. Whether we like it or not right now he's judged off getting to the NCAAT. You don't like it, take it up with the AD and have him raise the bar. It would make sense to do so since Mike has at least provided some consistency in making the NCAAT.
Just STOP comparing Mike Anderson's situation to coaches who have taken their programs to multiple final fours and won NCs. JUST STOP. If Anderson did anything closely resembling what those guys have done here he could get knocked out the tourney in the first round for multiple seasons and no one would complain.

rude1

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2018, 01:00:28 pm »

With that logic, any team that didn't go as far in the tourney this year as they did last year has regressed.

Our overall trend is up.  You cannot logically deny that.  You may not like the style of play, the coaching decisions, etc., but I think the numbers will show we've been better for the last four years than any four-year period this century.   

We don't know what to expect from this recruiting class, but we feel it is a good one.  And having Gafford back next year after a year in the weight room and a year working on his game gives a chance to be very, very good.  Like I've said before, I think the next 2 - 3 years will show whether we are going to continue the trend of improvement.  You can have your opinion, but the only way to prove it out is to play the games.
How in the world is your over all trend is up when you won less games than the season before, won less conference games than the year before, did less in the tourney than the year before, and the prognosis going into next season is you are going to do less than this past season? How do you look at that come away with the impression that the overall trend is up? Some of you need to seriously get your noses out of Mike's rear because it is seriously blinding you to reality.

HoopS

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2018, 01:18:10 pm »

It's amazing how CMA defenders won't hold him to the same standard as they held previous coaches.
post their records with Andersonís.

azhog10

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2018, 01:19:51 pm »

How in the world is your over all trend is up when you won less games than the season before, won less conference games than the year before, did less in the tourney than the year before, and the prognosis going into next season is you are going to do less than this past season? How do you look at that come away with the impression that the overall trend is up? Some of you need to seriously get your noses out of Mike's rear because it is seriously blinding you to reality.
You have heard one point does not make a trend right? So one point to the other doesn't make a trend. What makes a trend is the entire 8 years, or 2-3 seasons. But one point to the next is not a trend, that's simple math and statistics 101 for you.

azhog10

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2018, 01:21:43 pm »

If we did that Mike would never be fired due to Pel and Heath. I for one believe it's time to raise the bar. Next season we need to see more than what we've seen the last 4 years. If he does more, then it should mean we will see posts about never being able to make it to the Elite 8 or Final Four instead of the second weekend narrative that we've started to see the last three years.

rude1

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2018, 01:31:14 pm »

You have heard one point does not make a trend right? So one point to the other doesn't make a trend. What makes a trend is the entire 8 years, or 2-3 seasons. But one point to the next is not a trend, that's simple math and statistics 101 for you.
Ok so lets do it your way and quit with the 3-4 years making the tourney, it's 3-7, has missed it more than he has made it...................................

azhog10

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2018, 01:33:32 pm »

Ok so lets do it your way and quit with the 3-4 years making the tourney, it's 3-7, has missed it more than he has made it...................................
But that doesn't mean he's not trending up. You do know what a trend is? Relative to time, and since year 1, to year 7 he's made the tourney 2 of those last 3 seasons. That would be.....A POSITIVE TREND. I don't think trend is what you are looking for.

MB Hog

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2018, 01:44:35 pm »

Easy - real trends require a larger sample size.  Like I said, by your logic, any program that didn't do as well this year as last is regressing.  But the fact is every program will go up and down season by season.  The stock market is trending down lately, but overall it is trending up.  Are you going to sell all your stocks if they went down yesterday?  Or are you going to see that the longer term trend says you should hold on to them because they are likely to regain the loss and then grow more over time?

Prognosis?  That prognosis is yours and is purely speculation.  We weren't supposed to make the tourney this year, but we did.  Auburn was supposed to go 4-14 in conference this year, but they won it instead.

rude1

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2018, 01:50:06 pm »

But that doesn't mean he's not trending up. You do know what a trend is? Relative to time, and since year 1, to year 7 he's made the tourney 2 of those last 3 seasons. That would be.....A POSITIVE TREND. I don't think trend is what you are looking for.
This past season he won less games than the year before, next year the expectation is to lose more than he did this year, in your world that is trending upwards where we want to go....................

MB Hog

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2018, 02:01:42 pm »

This past season he won less games than the year before, next year the expectation is to lose more than he did this year, in your world that is trending upwards where we want to go....................

Expectations do not count towards trends.

rude1

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2018, 02:11:14 pm »

Expectations do not count towards trends.
Maybe in your world it doesn't. But then again, in the apologist's world after it actually happens it will just mean it is time to pull up the goal posts and move them.

HoopS

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2018, 02:12:41 pm »

82-71 = .535
69-59 = .539
151-86 = .637

One of these isnít like the other two.

Those two got fired.

The other hasnít been fired.

azhog10

« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2018, 02:17:23 pm »

Next year HASN'T HAPPENED YET! So let's speak on what has happened. From year 1 till now if you were to plot wins, it would be an upward trend. If you looked at tournament appearances he has made more in the second half of the season than the first half.

You can try and say next year we will will less, or two years from now we will win less, but you don't know. A year to year comparison of only those years is not a trend. A trend is more than one data point and I'm sorry that doesn't suit you.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2018, 02:27:50 pm »

Next year HASN'T HAPPENED YET! So let's speak on what has happened. From year 1 till now if you were to plot wins, it would be an upward trend. If you looked at tournament appearances he has made more in the second half of the season than the first half.

You can try and say next year we will will less, or two years from now we will win less, but you don't know. A year to year comparison of only those years is not a trend. A trend is more than one data point and I'm sorry that doesn't suit you.

I am confused AZ, when are we supposed to look at all 7 years and when are we not? When we talk about the ncaat Mike's PR team here always says 3 out of 4 and if anyone says 3 out of 7 you say its not right to look at all 7 years.

azhog10

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2018, 02:33:25 pm »

I am confused AZ, when are we supposed to look at all 7 years and when are we not? When we talk about the ncaat Mike's PR team here always says 3 out of 4 and if anyone says 3 out of 7 you say its not right to look at all 7 years.
You can look at all 7 or 8 as much as you want. I know this is hard to follow for you, but we were discussing trends. It was said that this season was a negative trend. One point does not make a trend. See a trend is a pattern of gradual change in a condition, output, or process, or an average or general tendency of a series of data points to move in a certain direction over time, represented by a line or curve on a graph. You can't make a graph with one point. Making a statement that we've gotten in the tourney 3 out 7 years also doesn't not make a trend because it doesn't give me a pattern or change in a certain direction. So you say 3 out of 7 years, but where did the 3 tourney appearances happen? Well they happened over the last 4 years. That means the trend is overly in the positive direction in terms of making the NCAAT.

I'm sure all this went right over your head, but where in the quoted section of my post did I say its not right to look at all 7 years?

rude1

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2018, 02:47:10 pm »

Doesn't matter whether it has happened or not, the projections aren't going to be good. AND it doesn't matter, you apologists will simply rip up the goal posts and move them back some more. You already have your "we are young" , "team needs to jell", X player or players are messing up locker room" excuses locked and loaded for next season............

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2018, 02:50:41 pm »

You can look at all 7 or 8 as much as you want. I know this is hard to follow for you, but we were discussing trends. It was said that this season was a negative trend. One point does not make a trend. See a trend is a pattern of gradual change in a condition, output, or process, or an average or general tendency of a series of data points to move in a certain direction over time, represented by a line or curve on a graph. You can't make a graph with one point. Making a statement that we've gotten in the tourney 3 out 7 years also doesn't not make a trend because it doesn't give me a pattern or change in a certain direction. So you say 3 out of 7 years, but where did the 3 tourney appearances happen? Well they happened over the last 4 years. That means the trend is overly in the positive direction in terms of making the NCAAT.

I'm sure all this went right over your head, but where in the quoted section of my post did I say its not right to look at all 7 years?

I'll give you a trend, something bad happens, and it is never Mike's fault according to those here who love him above the program. In his 7 seasons here I do not think I have ever seen you, shadow, fcj to name 3 of his most ardent backers, blame him for one thing.

BigE_23

• Hogvillian
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2018, 03:08:38 pm »

Here's my #1 problem with Mike...WE DO NOT RUN ANYTHING RESEMBLING A MOTION OFFENSE!

People like to say that Mike runs Nolan's system, but this couldn't be further from the truth. Under Nolan, Arkansas ran a sound, rules-based motion offense complimented by a 94' foot pressure defense. Did they play well in transition? Yes. Did they want to get up and down the court? Yes. Could they play half court offense? YES!

Mike is literally 1/3 the coach Nolan was. He gets the fast-paced, up and down transition piece, but misses the hard-nosed full-court defense with a balanced motion offense that made Arkansas a solid basketball team. THIS is why we were considered such a "tough out" come March, and it's also why we get bounced in the early rounds under Mike.

I remember a few years back that (as much as I despise him) Calipari scrapped his entire offensive system to install a new system called the "dribble-drive offense". This system was invented by a little known JC coach and everyone thought Coach Cal was crazy. Up until that point he had never won a NC and had been to one Final 4 at UMASS and had never been to a Final 4 at Memphis. Since that switch, he's been to 5 F4's and won a NC at UK.

My hope for Mike (because I want him to succeed, I really like him) is that he reinvents himself in a similar way. He needs to do something different or he won't be here much longer.

MB Hog

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2018, 03:11:12 pm »

Maybe in your world it doesn't. But then again, in the apologist's world after it actually happens it will just mean it is time to pull up the goal posts and move them.
No.  Seriously.   You can't do math with expectations.  Just stop.

azhog10

« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2018, 03:18:41 pm »

Here's my #1 problem with Mike...WE DO NOT RUN ANYTHING RESEMBLING A MOTION OFFENSE!

People like to say that Mike runs Nolan's system, but this couldn't be further from the truth. Under Nolan, Arkansas ran a sound, rules-based motion offense complimented by a 94' foot pressure defense. Did they play well in transition? Yes. Did they want to get up and down the court? Yes. Could they play half court offense? YES!

Mike is literally 1/3 the coach Nolan was. He gets the fast-paced, up and down transition piece, but misses the hard-nosed full-court defense with a balanced motion offense that made Arkansas a solid basketball team. THIS is why we were considered such a "tough out" come March, and it's also why we get bounced in the early rounds under Mike.

I remember a few years back that (as much as I despise him) Calipari scrapped his entire offensive system to install a new system called the "dribble-drive offense". This system was invented by a little known JC coach and everyone thought Coach Cal was crazy. Up until that point he had never won a NC and had been to one Final 4 at UMASS and had never been to a Final 4 at Memphis. Since that switch, he's been to 5 F4's and won a NC at UK.

My hope for Mike (because I want him to succeed, I really like him) is that he reinvents himself in a similar way. He needs to do something different or he won't be here much longer.
Cal went to the Dribble Drive when he was at Memphis. Vance Walberg created the dribble drive as a high school coach in california. I love the dribble drive and is the offense I run for my HS team. I also like Villanova's 4 out motion as there are no "scripted" movements. There are just rules to live by and everything else is free flowing within. Read and react (which is closer to what Mike runs) has too many rules, and at the same time easily turns into poor spacing and guys who feel the need to just do whatever they want. Spacing is and will always be the #1 problem with Mike Anderson offenses. Until he learns to fix that we will have some really ugly stretches in games, and at times an ugly game because we can't ever seem to space the floor and force teams into long closeouts and open up the driving lanes.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2018, 03:22:02 pm »

And given how many great prospects we have coming up in the next few years, I worry that we'll lose those connections and have to start all over again.  And with Penny knocking on the door from Memphis, the relationship Mike has built with the high school players and coaches in the state could be very beneficial in winning those recruiting wars compared to a new coach who doesn't have these strong ties.

You kinda kill your entire argument with this one statement.  If Hardaway can come in and build the same relationships in one to two years, so can our next coach. 

USChog

• Varsity
  • what, me worry?
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2018, 03:23:33 pm »

He has two more seasons to accomplish something and I am okay with that.

rude1

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2018, 03:27:38 pm »

No.  Seriously.   You can't do math with expectations.  Just stop.
You are talking math I am talking the direction the team is heading in, but I get it, you guys will always try to get the subject off of basketball and into a math classroom if it deflects from talking about the direction we are heading.

Peter Porker

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2018, 03:32:39 pm »

If we did that Mike would never be fired due to Pel and Heath. I for one believe it's time to raise the bar. Next season we need to see more than what we've seen the last 4 years. If he does more, then it should mean we will see posts about never being able to make it to the Elite 8 or Final Four instead of the second weekend narrative that we've started to see the last three years.

Really? Did CMA twice in his first 5 seasons like Heath did?

azhog10

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2018, 03:59:03 pm »

I'll give you a trend, something bad happens, and it is never Mike's fault according to those here who love him above the program. In his 7 seasons here I do not think I have ever seen you, shadow, fcj to name 3 of his most ardent backers, blame him for one thing.
Then you aren't reading because I have definitely stated things I do not like that he does. I have done that many times. But, that doesn't help your cause or "trend".

azhog10

« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2018, 04:01:18 pm »

Really? Did CMA twice in his first 5 seasons like Heath did?
Restate that question. Did CMA what? Make the NCAAT? Sure he did, just like Heath. Although my understanding is Heath's firing had more to do than just making the NCAAT, and had more to do with APR issues. Anderson was given expectations that he had to meet, he met them and that's why he's still here. Comparing Mike and Stan is not going to work out well for you.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2018, 04:03:53 pm »

Anderson was given expectations that he had to meet, he met them and that's why he's still here.
They must have been pretty darn low!
Get Nolan back in BWA Arena thatís about it.

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2018, 04:04:57 pm »

And regarding Jones, I'll make a comment I held in all year for fear of bashing a player.  Dude was bad, he threw up way to many three's that hit nothing and were bad misses.  And with his length he was a poor defender.  I cringed anytime he came on the court.
I agree, but before the season started people thought CJ was going to have a breakout season. Which means either a. he wasn't as good as people thought or b. he wasn't coached up to his potential. Either way, it doesn't look good for the large number of role players coming in the next class
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas