• 396,145 Topics
• 22,373 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here's where I am with Mike...  (Read 3441 times)

azhog10

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorback Basketball on the rise!
Re: Here's where I am with Mike...
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2018, 04:06:10 pm »

Doesn't matter whether it has happened or not, the projections aren't going to be good. AND it doesn't matter, you apologists will simply rip up the goal posts and move them back some more. You already have your "we are young" , "team needs to jell", X player or players are messing up locker room" excuses locked and loaded for next season............
When have I used that excuse? See this is where you come off looking stupid. I have said countless times what has happened this off-season is no excuse for not winning. I have also said the "goal post" argument being moved is fine. We've made the tourney consistently 3/4 years. Now it makes sense to move the goal post. Idk where it should be moved, that's not for me to decide. But Mike has shown he can field an NCAAT caliber team consistently and now it's time to take a step up, if he can't then he needs to go.

The problem is people like you and the MA haters want to say next years team can't make the second weekend so it's time to fire him. Well you don't know that, you don't know what he will be able to do with the team he has coming in and he has been able to make the NCAAT with less. So I am in the camp to wait and see what he can do with this group that he has worked to bring in. IF the expectation is no longer make the NCAAT and it's Sweet 16 consistently I'm okay with that. But at least give the man a chance to meet that expectation if that's what his new AD wants. But I have never given excuses for next season and made any decision on where I think we will finish. 

azhog10

« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2018, 04:09:51 pm »

They must have been pretty darn low!
Get Nolan back in BWA Arena thatís about it.
JL said two years ago his expectations were the NCAAT. Mike has done that. Now if it's time to change those expectations then I'm all for it. But you can't tell a guy (his boss not us as fans bc we really don't matter) I need you to make the NCAAT consistently and then fire him bc "well what I really wanted was an Elite 8 team". The man has won 92 games in four years, I'm sure to those that have never liked the MA hire that's not very much. But winning 92 games over four years is nothing to shake a stick at.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2018, 04:14:14 pm »

When have I used that excuse? See this is where you come off looking stupid. I have said countless times what has happened this off-season is no excuse for not winning. I have also said the "goal post" argument being moved is fine. We've made the tourney consistently 3/4 years. Now it makes sense to move the goal post. Idk where it should be moved, that's not for me to decide. But Mike has shown he can field an NCAAT caliber team consistently and now it's time to take a step up, if he can't then he needs to go.

The problem is people like you and the MA haters want to say next years team can't make the second weekend so it's time to fire him. Well you don't know that, you don't know what he will be able to do with the team he has coming in and he has been able to make the NCAAT with less. So I am in the camp to wait and see what he can do with this group that he has worked to bring in. IF the expectation is no longer make the NCAAT and it's Sweet 16 consistently I'm okay with that. But at least give the man a chance to meet that expectation if that's what his new AD wants. But I have never given excuses for next season and made any decision on where I think we will finish. 
You will lead the charge next year with excuses if the team does as most are going to be predicting them to do. I have said no such thing as fire him, he has earned another year IMO, but nothing beyond should be promised, as he has had more than enough time to field a nationally competitive program, and it hasn't helped to watch other coaches come to other programs in the same conference and get the program nationally relevant in at least a season in a much shorter time frame than Mike Anderson has had.

azhog10

« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2018, 04:22:03 pm »

You will lead the charge next year with excuses if the team does as most are going to be predicting them to do. I have said no such thing as fire him, he has earned another year IMO, but nothing beyond should be promised, as he has had more than enough time to field a nationally competitive program, and it hasn't helped to watch other coaches come to other programs in the same conference and get the program nationally relevant in at least a season in a much shorter time frame than Mike Anderson has had.
I'm not giving Mike any excuse. Didn't for this season when we lost to Butler. I know that doesn't help your motive but I care less about excuses. But where you have issue is that I am understanding of why we haven't made a trip to the Sweet 16. I also understand that Mike is meeting the expectations given to him whether I like it or not. But I am also firmly in the camp that if next years team can't take a step forward from the past 7 then it's time to turn on the heat and possibly find a new coach.

What SEC coaches have come in and made their program relevant in a quick turn around? Florida, but they were already loaded under Donovan and Mike has done a solid job keeping them where Billy left off. Rick Barnes has been at Tenner for 3 years and made the NCAAT one time. Ben Howalnd 0 NCAAT in three years, Billy Kennedy 2 NCAAT in 6 years, and Pearl was an SEC before and he hasn't done anything for Auburn. Johnson, former NBA Coach, and only 1 NCAAT in 3 years. Sure you have coaches outside the SEC, but some are one hit wonders and haven't done anything since. So within our own conference Mike has been the second most successful since he was hired.

HotlantaHog

« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2018, 04:25:08 pm »

Mike has created a Top 30 program -- Hogs were a 7 seed this year, a 8/9 seed last year. The early years, there were obviously some academic issues that prevented much reshuffling of players. The last couple have shown progress.

I'd like to see improvement from here to a Top 25 and Top 10 type of program. But it seems very premature to be kicking around the idea of getting rid of him. Figure he's here for a few years at least.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 04:19:59 pm by HotlantaHog »

rude1

« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2018, 04:33:36 pm »

I'm not giving Mike any excuse. Didn't for this season when we lost to Butler. I know that doesn't help your motive but I care less about excuses. But where you have issue is that I am understanding of why we haven't made a trip to the Sweet 16. I also understand that Mike is meeting the expectations given to him whether I like it or not. But I am also firmly in the camp that if next years team can't take a step forward from the past 7 then it's time to turn on the heat and possibly find a new coach.

What SEC coaches have come in and made their program relevant in a quick turn around? Florida, but they were already loaded under Donovan and Mike has done a solid job keeping them where Billy left off. Rick Barnes has been at Tenner for 3 years and made the NCAAT one time. Ben Howalnd 0 NCAAT in three years, Billy Kennedy 2 NCAAT in 6 years, and Pearl was an SEC before and he hasn't done anything for Auburn. Johnson, former NBA Coach, and only 1 NCAAT in 3 years. Sure you have coaches outside the SEC, but some are one hit wonders and haven't done anything since. So within our own conference Mike has been the second most successful since he was hired.
I have said nothing on how long it took them, but most of them either got there quicker or have went further than he has in his time here.

azhog10

« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2018, 04:48:54 pm »

I have said nothing on how long it took them, but most of them either got there quicker or have went further than he has in his time here.
I asked for names.......

rude1

« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2018, 04:56:06 pm »

I asked for names.......
White, F. Martin, Pearl, Kennedy, Barnes, Johnson, C. Martin,, Drew, did I miss anyone? All either got their programs into the tourney quicker than Anderson or has gone further once they got there.

raz1965

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2018, 05:17:05 pm »

If Mike had signed this class an Gafford lets say in year 2 an 3 , the outlook of fans would have been ecstatic, the facts are that fans can't see the future due to the past, which is a negative gene located in there minds. Mike has not had the proper talent to work with, he had great guys an students, but ever team has been lacking in talent in critical spots, recruiting was the biggest issue which appears to be turned around. Let go of the disappointments, and enjoy the moments to come. I would say it kinda like playing a horseshoe game when one player is using Clydesdale shoes an the other Shetland pony shoes, the odds are against you from the start. If it was all about a Coach then we would have the same National Champion ever year, players are the most important factor to any good coach an team, Jay Wright found the players an won big, but has coached for years an who knew whom he was untill the last few years. Players, players, players, o you of little understanding.

azhog10

« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2018, 06:09:13 pm »

White, F. Martin, Pearl, Kennedy, Barnes, Johnson, C. Martin,, Drew, did I miss anyone? All either got their programs into the tourney quicker than Anderson or has gone further once they got there.
Don't have to go past Pearl to find that your statement isn't true in regards to his time at Auburn.

cram224

« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2018, 06:35:31 pm »

If you look back at the comments the last few years, everybody has said what a great classes CMA has had coming in. CMA deserves to coach this big class coming in, however, this class will probably have more pressure on them to win and win early at Ark.

rude1

« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2018, 09:16:49 pm »

Don't have to go past Pearl to find that your statement isn't true in regards to his time at Auburn.
Oh that's right Pearl didn't go further in the tournament in year four than Mike Anderson, but he did do something Mike hasn't done, win the conference......................Face it Mike Anderson's time here isn't anything special and in fact I find it completely lacking.

azhog10

« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2018, 09:21:35 pm »

Oh that's right Pearl didn't go further in the tournament in year four than Mike Anderson, but he did do something Mike hasn't done, win the conference......................Face it Mike Anderson's time here isn't anything special and in fact I find it completely lacking.
Thats your opinion.

rude1

« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2018, 09:37:33 pm »

Thats your opinion.
I think that is what I said....................

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2018, 09:40:19 pm »

Fundamentals of Basketball is passing, shooting, and dribbling. Those are fundamentals. We did not lack in those areas.
Don't forget blocking out, moving your feet on defense and not reaching and grabbing, help and recover on defense. 

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2018, 09:54:08 pm »

I saw it. I respect Mike.

Mike A hasnít done anything to get fired yet and anything stating he is unfirable is conjecture and I donít care who says it.

So your thought is nothing but conjecture either.
Funny mike Irwin cannot be questioned on hogville unless it comes to Anderson. Just go to show you the love for the man knows no limits

HoopS

« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2018, 10:47:58 pm »

So your thought is nothing but conjecture either.
Funny mike Irwin cannot be questioned on hogville unless it comes to Anderson. Just go to show you the love for the man knows no limits
i never said anything about questioning Mike. Either one of them. I respect both Mikes.

I believe Anderson could very well be in trouble if we are bad this next season. And Iím ok with that. Iím interested in winning. Iíd like more thanwe have gotten but I donít find the results fireable.

And it doesnít matter what you or I feel anyway. Neither of us are firing him or pulling the strings to keep him. And that isnít conjecture.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2018, 11:11:57 pm »

Barnes tied for a conference championship this year with a team picked to be near the bottom of the league.  I know pre-season expectations don't matter but I thought what Tenn did this year was pretty impressive and I think they have everyone coming back.  To me the expectations for the Hogs should center around being consistently competing for conference championships, a top 25 team throughout the season or at least most of the season and a top 16-20 bid in the tournament (a 4 or 5 seed at the lowest).  What actually happens in the tournament is a crap shoot as you can have one bad game (ask Virginia) and lose but if you play well throughout the years you will earn good seeds and eventually will advance to the sweet 16 and beyond.  KU, UK, Duke, UNC,  and lesser programs but also consistent winners like Butler, Wichita St, Xavier, etc., have lost in the first or second round.  But because they are there every year they will advance fairly far sometimes also.  I'm just looking for consistency and being a "no-brainer" to make the tournament every 4 of 5 years.  No being on the bubble or just barely getting in every year. 

MB Hog

« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2018, 03:12:34 pm »

Barnes tied for a conference championship this year with a team picked to be near the bottom of the league.  I know pre-season expectations don't matter but I thought what Tenn did this year was pretty impressive and I think they have everyone coming back.  To me the expectations for the Hogs should center around being consistently competing for conference championships, a top 25 team throughout the season or at least most of the season and a top 16-20 bid in the tournament (a 4 or 5 seed at the lowest).  What actually happens in the tournament is a crap shoot as you can have one bad game (ask Virginia) and lose but if you play well throughout the years you will earn good seeds and eventually will advance to the sweet 16 and beyond.  KU, UK, Duke, UNC,  and lesser programs but also consistent winners like Butler, Wichita St, Xavier, etc., have lost in the first or second round.  But because they are there every year they will advance fairly far sometimes also.  I'm just looking for consistency and being a "no-brainer" to make the tournament every 4 of 5 years.  No being on the bubble or just barely getting in every year. 
Accoring to rude1, preseason expectations are extremely important.  Good thing for Barnes and Pearl that they weren't fired based on preseason expectations.

rude1

« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2018, 03:23:14 pm »

Accoring to rude1, preseason expectations are extremely important.  Good thing for Barnes and Pearl that they weren't fired based on preseason expectations.
Let's give Mike Anderson credit because two other coaches he has been at his program longer than, exceeded expectations and won the conference. Let's share that with Mike Anderson, because apparently that is as close as he is going to get to one.

MB Hog

« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2018, 04:08:28 pm »

Let's give Mike Anderson credit because two other coaches he has been at his program longer than, exceeded expectations and won the conference. Let's share that with Mike Anderson, because apparently that is as close as he is going to get to one.
We shall see.  Having Kentucky in the SEC typically makes it hard to win the conference.  Would have been a good chance this year, but sounds like too many players had individual agendas.  Hannahs, Manny, and Moses true leadership was definitely missed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas