• 10,015,822 Posts
• 401,468 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm about to let go of the rope  (Read 9692 times)

daprospecta

Re: I'm about to let go of the rope
« Reply #450 on: April 07, 2018, 03:31:55 pm »

That is a winning percentage of .565, or an average SEC season record of 10 wins and 8 losses. Very average. Well below what Sutton did in his first 7 years and well below what Nolan did in his first 7 years at Arkansas, even with the rough first 2 years Nolan had after taking over for Sutton.

If Anderson thinks this is acceptable, he's lying.
Are you seriously comparing Mike Anderson to a Hall of Fame coach in Nolan Richardson? Not to say we should expect great things from a coach but come on man.  Are we going to compare CCM to Bear Bryant or Nick Saban?

MB Hog

« Reply #451 on: April 07, 2018, 03:33:14 pm »

Well let me ask the question would you rather have gone to the tourney 3 out of 4 years never getting out of the first weekend or would you rather go once and go to the final 4?
I'd rather get to the tourney more consistently so I'd have more chances to do well.  Having the cookie crumble the right way just one time is not a big benefit if you can't have that cookie on a regular basis.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

MB Hog

« Reply #452 on: April 07, 2018, 03:55:28 pm »

No way that happens.  It will be a long time before we have another situation like what we've had with CMA and those fast forty lovin' mop guys.
I'm loyal to a fault on both sports:
Heath - was expecting they would keep him and hoping he'd get to keep building
Pelphrey - wanted to give him another year to see what he could do with his recruiting class
Anderson - happy with the progress; not always happy with some of the results, but feel it has been a long road for him and may finally get the grit he needs from this recruiting class... not time to make a change just yet
Nolan - was torn, but understood the call after his rant to fire him and give him his money (hated losing Sullinger and Igoudala over it)
Ford - liked the talent coming in, didn't like his "we might never win" attitude, but wanted another year to see where the talent would lead us
Nutt - no idea what rumors were true and which weren't, but he had the best long-term results since Hatfield and was doing it in the SEC, so I wasn't on board for firing him
Petrino - hated to lose him after seeing such great success, but understood the decision with the lies and deception
John L. Smith - see ya
Bielema - what a crazy turn of events... progress every year until the last two games of 2016 - then the disaster of 2017.  I still don't understand how that happened.  I wasn't calling for his head, but basically understood the decision.
Morriss - very optimistic of the change of philosophy - happy he is here.

So, yes, you can count on me to give plenty of slack to Morriss to get the job done.

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #453 on: April 07, 2018, 04:32:04 pm »

If CCM is winning 7-8 games a year after 3 years and a 9 win season sprinkled in here and there, he will have my full support.
That is very close to my expectations for a guy doing a good job with the football program. Meet those standards and you should not lose your job.

Of course, by those standards, Nutt met them, Petrino over-achieved, and Bielema did not meet them, overall.

Not to turn this into a football discussion, though.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #454 on: April 07, 2018, 04:33:51 pm »

Has nothing to do with Mike, but Mike is a better coach, yes.  Moser is bad.  He won't be heard from again.  Ever.
If Moser's run was a fluke, then so was Anderson's Elite 8 run.

You can't have it both ways.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #455 on: April 07, 2018, 04:33:54 pm »

Are you seriously comparing Mike Anderson to a Hall of Fame coach in Nolan Richardson? Not to say we should expect great things from a coach but come on man.  Are we going to compare CCM to Bear Bryant or Nick Saban?
Nolan was nowhere near Bryant or Saban regarding achievements. Nolan won 1 NC and had shot at one other in the final the next year. Went to sweet 16 only once in his last 6 seasons. You exaggerate so much it turns me off.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #456 on: April 07, 2018, 04:34:58 pm »

Pelphrey - wanted to give him another year to see what he could do with his recruiting class
Anderson - happy with the progress; not always happy with some of the results, but feel it has been a long road for him and may finally get the grit he needs from this recruiting class... not time to make a change just yet
Nolan - was torn, but understood the call after his rant to fire him and give him his money (hated losing Sullinger and Igoudala over it)
Ford - liked the talent coming in, didn't like his "we might never win" attitude, but wanted another year to see where the talent would lead us
Nutt - no idea what rumors were true and which weren't, but he had the best long-term results since Hatfield and was doing it in the SEC, so I wasn't on board for firing him
Petrino - hated to lose him after seeing such great success, but understood the decision with the lies and deception
John L. Smith - see ya
Bielema - what a crazy turn of events... progress every year until the last two games of 2016 - then the disaster of 2017.  I still don't understand how that happened.  I wasn't calling for his head, but basically understood the decision.

So, yes, you can count on me to give plenty of slack to Morriss to get the job done.
You are a coach's dream fan and booster.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #457 on: April 07, 2018, 04:37:25 pm »

Those numbers are actually a pretty good example of the progress made under Mike.  Just look at his conference record, which is where you can't hide with cupcakes.  7 years, 5 winning records, 1 .500 record, and one losing record (his first year here).  The previous nine years had 2 winning conference records and 7 losing.

Plus, the quality of the SEC has improved, so a winning record in the SEC now means more than it did in the past.
Now let's compare that to some really good coaches:

Eddie: Final 4 in Year 4, Elite 8 in Year 5. 9 straight NCAAs
Nolan: Final 4 in Year 5, National Title a few years later. 9 straight NCAAs

Rick Barnes: SEC title in Year 3 at Tennessee.

So yes, MA has made good progress, it just doesn't compare to elite level coaches.
Every post that can ever be made about MA always can be summarized with 'good, not great'

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #458 on: April 07, 2018, 04:41:39 pm »

John L. Smith - see ya

My opinions on all those guys tend to match closely with yours.
You're not a 'get the pitch-forks' guy, and I'm not either. I have opinions, but rarely do I call for someone's head. Usually, I can go either way. If they want to give a guy more time, that's understandable, if they want to make a change, that's cool too.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #459 on: April 07, 2018, 04:42:01 pm »

If Moser's run was a fluke, then so was Anderson's Elite 8 run.

You can't have it both ways.

You are comparing a coach who has never done ANYTHING in any other season to a coach who has taken 3 different teams to the NCAAT.

One good season, even if it includes a deep tournament run, doesn't make someone a good coach.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #460 on: April 07, 2018, 04:47:04 pm »

You are comparing a coach who has never done ANYTHING in any other season to a coach who has taken 3 different teams to the NCAAT.

One good season, even if it includes a deep tournament run, doesn't make someone a good coach.
Yet the biggest evidence of MA's worth as a coach is usually the Elite 8 run.

Take away the 'fluke' run and things look totally different.

Me, I do believe some strange things can happen in the NCAAs, but generally I give credit. I give credit to both those guys for those runs. Someone who doesn't want to give credit is generally following an agenda. In this case, trashing Moser's run as being lucky while trying to build up Anderson.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #461 on: April 07, 2018, 05:00:47 pm »

Yet the biggest evidence of MA's worth as a coach is usually the Elite 8 run.

Take away the 'fluke' run and things look totally different.

Me, I do believe some strange things can happen in the NCAAs, but generally I give credit. I give credit to both those guys for those runs. Someone who doesn't want to give credit is generally following an agenda. In this case, trashing Moser's run as being lucky while trying to build up Anderson.

To be honest, this is a long thread, and I don't even remember how Moser came up.  My only agenda in this thread, as it started, was to point out that almost everything in the original post was wrong.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #462 on: April 07, 2018, 10:06:41 pm »

Yeah, just ask Stan Heath about that.

Torqued pork

• I'm the baby daddy your Nana warned you about.
« Reply #463 on: April 07, 2018, 11:17:00 pm »

It's great to be on the bubble most every year and to show why in the first round every year. It's what I live for....wouldn't want it any other way. GO MIKE !!!

MB Hog

« Reply #464 on: April 07, 2018, 11:26:15 pm »

Now let's compare that to some really good coaches:

Eddie: Final 4 in Year 4, Elite 8 in Year 5. 9 straight NCAAs
Nolan: Final 4 in Year 5, National Title a few years later. 9 straight NCAAs

Rick Barnes: SEC title in Year 3 at Tennessee.

So yes, MA has made good progress, it just doesn't compare to elite level coaches.
Every post that can ever be made about MA always can be summarized with 'good, not great'
Agree.  But it is progress and I'm hoping it continues.  If the trend doesn't continue to go up over the next 2 - 3 years, I'll be OK with making a change.

HogBreath

« Reply #465 on: April 07, 2018, 11:27:02 pm »

It's great to be on the bubble most every year and to show why in the first round every year. It's what I live for....wouldn't want it any other way. GO MIKE !!!
Coach Mike and the glorious fast forty just need the right matchups...Butler was a bad matchup, they were well coached.

Nickle-Pig

HoginMemphis

« Reply #467 on: April 08, 2018, 12:30:56 am »

Coach Mike and the glorious fast forty just need the right matchups...Butler was a bad matchup, they were well coached.
Any time Mike runs into a team who has a good coach, he loses.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #468 on: April 08, 2018, 06:25:33 am »

Any time Mike runs into a team who has a good coach, he loses.

Well, in past few years he has beaten John  Calipari, Frank Martin, Mike White, Bruce Pearl, Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes, Tubby Smith, & Larry Brown...just to name a few.

HogBreath

« Reply #469 on: April 08, 2018, 07:03:42 am »

Well, in past few years he has beaten John  Calipari, Frank Martin, Mike White, Bruce Pearl, Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes, Tubby Smith, & Larry Brown...just to name a few.

Been a while since he beat Calipari, and the games haven't been close.  More like a fast forty spank spank.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #470 on: April 08, 2018, 07:08:01 am »

Been a while since he beat Calipari, and the games haven't been close.  More like a fast forty spank spank.

HIM said ďany timeĒ...But Mike did beat him.  ;)

Hey, Nolan had a winning record against Coach K, too. FWIW

HogBreath

« Reply #471 on: April 08, 2018, 07:14:58 am »

HIM said ďany timeĒ...But Mike did beat him.  ;)
No question the glorious and beloved fast forty has had some peaks, but just as surely, also lots of valleys. 

That may be what bothers me as much as anything with CMA.

Consistently inconsistent.

Smithian

« Reply #472 on: April 08, 2018, 07:32:42 am »

This thread escalated in a hurry.

I thought Mike was the best possible hire but I warned people not too get their expectations too high. Anyone being honest would say they expected more up to this point.

People know I am loyal to coaches. I was one of the last people to say it was time for Pelphrey to go. I know if he is replaced it will be with a second tier mid major hire. But I am reaching a point that I'm nervous it isn't going to happen for the Hogs under Anderson. We are told that the strategy is to find guys who fit, develop them, and win that way. And hopefully find a couple stud recruits along the way.

Didn't this season and 14/15 match that formula? Especially 14/15? That team with Portis had a good regular season then got sent home quickly by UNC. This team slogged through the regular season and had a first round exit.

If this year and the team with Bobby Portis added up to all of one NCAA win, where is the hope going forward?

HogBreath

« Reply #473 on: April 08, 2018, 07:45:17 am »

I thought Mike was the best possible hire but I warned people not too get their expectations too high. Anyone being honest would say they expected more up to this point.

People know I am loyal to coaches. I was one of the last people to say it was time for Pelphrey to go. I know if he is replaced it will be with a second tier mid major hire. But I am reaching a point that I'm nervous it isn't going to happen for the Hogs under Anderson. We are told that the strategy is to find guys who fit, develop them, and win that way. And hopefully find a couple stud recruits along the way.

Didn't this season and 14/15 match that formula? Especially 14/15? That team with Portis had a good regular season then got sent home quickly by UNC. This team slogged through the regular season and had a first round exit.

If this year and the team with Bobby Portis added up to all of one NCAA win, where is the hope going forward?

OMG???  Smitty has returned.  Hallelujah.  How ya been doing Coach Donovan?

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #474 on: April 08, 2018, 07:56:09 am »

No question the glorious and beloved fast forty has had some peaks, but just as surely, also lots of valleys. 

That may be what bothers me as much as anything with CMA.

Consistently inconsistent.

Exactly. +1

hawgfan4life

« Reply #475 on: April 08, 2018, 07:59:13 am »

Portis played hard and well, but when he struggled the team did too.  We had a lot of pieces in place, but few were developed into that next level type player.  Some act like Qualls was a lottery pick, but he wasnít a difference maker in most games.  This years team could have been better than the Portis team and looked like they would be, but there were clearly some issues on the team.  Chemistry?  Buy-in by individual players?  Chemicals?  Who knows!  Every single year has its own strengths and concerns.  Clearly MA hasnít placed the program on the level of stability we should expect and the level of success should be better, but in his defense, there are a lot of factors that have helped cause stability issues and he canít always control the players minds and actions.  The bottom line is he is responsible and the one to be held accountable.  Looking at the big picture and considering some of those variables, recruiting has improved and appears to be improving, players are staying out of trouble and the news for the most part, fans are still coming back to the games, and we have trended up over the past 4 years versus the first 4 years using year four for both sets of data.  If MA can raise the ceiling over the next 4 years in equal proportion, we will be where fans expect.  Hall leaving seems bad, but few know any details and it could be best for everyone.  We simply donít know.  Many believe next year is a lost cause, but fans have thought that making the NCAA was the same the last two seasons.  Why not let the season be played before we determine its demise and fire the coach before it happens?

raz1965

• Senior
« Reply #476 on: April 08, 2018, 08:11:58 am »

Good post, closer to facts than opinion.^

Porked Tongue

« Reply #477 on: April 08, 2018, 10:51:59 am »

He returns!

And yes, the rope is slippery and the ceiling has been established as too low.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #478 on: April 08, 2018, 11:11:43 am »

thanks for the lesson in history. What about all the losses to coaches who are not good? The guy at Mizzou, the guy at LSU, the guy at Alabama, the guy at Houston? By the way, SC sucked this year. They were a one hit wonder last season. And Pearl is not a good coach but he is a good cheater.

From Tusk Till Dawn

• Senior
  • Facts are stubborn things...
« Reply #479 on: April 08, 2018, 12:21:18 pm »

John L. Smith - see ya

Great level headed post, best Ive read in awhile.

Smithian

« Reply #480 on: April 08, 2018, 12:54:23 pm »

OMG???  Smitty has returned.  Hallelujah.  How ya been doing Coach Donovan?
I pop in occasionally.

Smithian

« Reply #481 on: April 08, 2018, 12:56:31 pm »

He returns!

I like Anderson, I don't know who we would find with a better resume.

But everyone expected more up to this point

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #482 on: April 08, 2018, 01:09:26 pm »

He returns!

So have HY raise the roof!!

Breems

« Reply #483 on: April 08, 2018, 01:15:34 pm »

MOVE THE BALL

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #484 on: April 08, 2018, 01:23:56 pm »

thanks for the lesson in history. What about all the losses to coaches who are not good? The guy at Mizzou, the guy at LSU, the guy at Alabama, the guy at Houston? By the way, SC sucked this year. They were a one hit wonder last season. And Pearl is not a good coach but he is a good cheater.

Of course he has losses to those who you say ďare not goodĒ. Nobody insinuated that he hasnít.  Iím not sure that Mike can take us any farther than he has, either. But donít say he never beats a good coach when he obviously has.

Porked Tongue

« Reply #485 on: April 08, 2018, 03:56:09 pm »

Some won't believe it(which is fine), but I like him too.  That "like" is what has given him this amount of time to excel with me and others.

Smithian

« Reply #486 on: April 08, 2018, 05:21:21 pm »

MOVE THE BALL
I think Anderson is as good as any coaching on game day.

Worried about underwhelming recruiting combined with major roster turnover.

HogBreath

« Reply #487 on: April 08, 2018, 06:14:34 pm »

Guess who just got back today?
That pro Pel guy who'd been away
Haven't changed that much you say
But man, I still think that cat's crazy

They were asking if you were around
How you was, where you could be found
Told 'em you'd transferred to another program in another town
Driving all the MOPS crazy.

Smithian

« Reply #488 on: April 08, 2018, 07:02:26 pm »

Guess who just got back today?
That pro Pel guy who'd been away
Haven't changed that much you say
But man, I still think that cat's crazy

They were asking if you were around
How you was, where you could be found
Told 'em you'd transferred to another program in another town
Driving all the MOPS crazy.
I've had over 3,000 posts since Anderson arrived.

Which tells me I need to get a life

Breems

« Reply #489 on: April 08, 2018, 08:20:05 pm »

Move the ball? Be aggressive? :(

Bobby Bobo

« Reply #490 on: April 08, 2018, 08:32:58 pm »

he's not Sutton and Richardson, and he will never be

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #491 on: April 08, 2018, 08:47:38 pm »

Canít ever remember anyone claiming that he was.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #492 on: April 08, 2018, 10:07:00 pm »

you are everywhere...multiple forums in 8 posts. Nice 2nd hogville user name.
So obvious.

Smithian

« Reply #493 on: April 09, 2018, 12:59:14 am »

Move the ball? Be aggressive? :(
You just summed up my entire coaching strategy!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas