• 395,980 Topics
• 22,376 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why no restricitons on where Hall or Jones can transfer  (Read 2893 times)

outlawhogeywells

Why no restricitons on where Hall or Jones can transfer
« on: April 05, 2018, 11:31:16 am »

I heard this morning that there are not any restrictions on where Hall and Jones can transfer.  Just does not make sense that Mike did not put some kind of restrictions in their release.  You spend time and money in recruiting and signing kids to come play for your program.  Then you sign kids.  Those kids took up time, money and space on the team.  By signing those kids you did not sign someone else. 
Now you don't limit where those kids can transfer?  At least say you can't go to an SEC team or a team you could play in the next coming years.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
Re: Why no restricitons on where Hall or Jones can transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 11:32:47 am »

Mike is being a nice guy.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

PorkRinds

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 11:34:44 am »

He knows more about it than we do. If he’s sure there’s been no undue influence by Memphis or Penny, I can see not restricting them. If he’s ignoring them coming after our player, I have an issue with it.

King Kong

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 11:54:29 am »

You restrict players and it other teams will use it against you in recruiting.

Hawg Red

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 11:58:08 am »

I think all transfers should be unrestricted. If you suspect tampering, report what you know to the NCAA and let them "deal" with it (I know, I know). Never understood blocking a transfer because you might play the school the player is going to. What does it matter? All that should matter is that they don't want to play for your program any longer. Shouldn't matter where they want to go.

The Hogfather

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 11:58:34 am »

I heard this morning that there are not any restrictions on where Hall and Jones can transfer.  Just does not make sense that Mike did not put some kind of restrictions in their release.  You spend time and money in recruiting and signing kids to come play for your program.  Then you sign kids.  Those kids took up time, money and space on the team.  By signing those kids you did not sign someone else. 
Now you don't limit where those kids can transfer?  At least say you can't go to an SEC team or a team you could play in the next coming years.

Should automatically say no to SEC teams and Memphis.

PorkRinds

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 11:59:14 am »

I think all transfers should be unrestricted. If you suspect tampering, report what you know to the NCAA and let them "deal" with it (I know, I know). Never understood blocking a transfer because you might play the school the player is going to. What does it matter? All that should matter is that they don't want to play for your program any longer. Shouldn't matter where they want to go.
Because the player knows your system and can help scheme and game plan against you. That’s pretty obvious.

The Hogfather

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 11:59:27 am »

So what?  Tell them up front.

PorkRinds

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 12:00:13 pm »

Don’t care. Is it really a threat that a team says “hey you could wash out at Arkansas and they won’t let you go to a team you had previous connections with”? Not really.

The Hogfather

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 12:01:11 pm »

Don’t care. Is it really a threat that a team says “hey you could wash out at Arkansas and they won’t let you go to a team you had previous connections with”? Not really.

Yeah, like they're not already saying "look at all those guys transferring out of the program....you don't want to go there" and much worse.

Triple T

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 12:01:47 pm »

Blocking them from where they want to play looks really bad on a coach from a recruits perspective.

The Hogfather

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 12:04:14 pm »

Blocking them from where they want to play looks really bad on a coach from a recruits perspective.

Again, who gives a flying Frank?  They're already being told much worse.  Those kids who would come to Arkansas aren't going to be thinking about transferring because they are committing to Arkansas/Anderson in the 1st place.  They aren't thinking about what happens when they decide to leave in a year or two for another school.

PorkRinds

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 12:06:28 pm »

Again, who gives a flying Frank?  They're already being told much worse.  Those kids who would come to Arkansas aren't going to be thinking about transferring because they are committing to Arkansas/Anderson in the 1st place.  They aren't thinking about what happens when they decide to leave in a year or two for another school.

Exactly. Do we want a kid that’s already worried about if he can’t cut it and where he will transfer?

King Kong

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 12:08:57 pm »

Yes it is a threat and an effective one

mhuff

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 12:10:12 pm »

rude1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 12:10:42 pm »

If you already struggle recruiting and if your lack of success isn't enough for the opposition to use against you,  you can't afford to give them more ammo by restricting a player who wants to leave.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 12:12:48 pm »

Dont football coaches usually put restrictions on where a kid cant play?

King Kong

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 12:35:01 pm »

Yes.

mbgrulz

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 12:58:32 pm »

You may have a point, but that's one of those deals where you don't let people run over you. You know good and well the Hall family has been getting messages through the grapevine that this school or that school wants him. If I'm Anderson, I'm trying to get payback by blocking any school that I think was doing that. If you let this happen once, and do nothing about it, what do you think will happen next time? People will leave your kids alone b/c you're a nice guy?

PorkRinds

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 01:04:31 pm »

Yes it is a threat and an effective one

No it isn’t.

Brass Knob

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 01:05:13 pm »

Typically just schools in the same conference.

PorkRinds

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 01:05:50 pm »

Any coach that’s afraid of the players is a [CENSORED] and needs to find a new job. Not saying that’s Anderson in this case, but all this “bad press” crap is for girls, not men.

Brass Knob

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 01:08:31 pm »

No coach is restricting a player outside of their conference or someone on their schedule, it is that simple. If you single out a school, especially the school a kid wants to transfer to then that coach is going to get drug through the mud by media. See Pastner doing that a few years by trying to block a player leaving Memphis for Virginia.

Even restricting in conference is becoming uncommon in basketball, see Greg Marshall letting a Memphis kid out of letter of intent to go and sign with Memphis...

It is simply a terrible terrible look and has absolutely no positive result in the end for the coach or basketball program.

Brass Knob

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 01:09:22 pm »

Any coach that’s afraid of the players is a [CENSORED] and needs to find a new job. Not saying that’s Anderson in this case, but all this “bad press” crap is for girls, not men.

Not when your job is dependent upon good press and those players...

PorkRinds

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 01:15:48 pm »

His job isn’t dependent on good press. It’s dependent on winning games. Being a pushover doesn’t win games.

The Hogfather

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2018, 02:15:08 pm »

If you already struggle recruiting and if your lack of success isn't enough for the opposition to use against you,  you can't afford to give them more ammo by restricting a player who wants to leave.

I'm not saying don't let them transfer, just don't let them transfer to SEC schools or Memphis.

maxhog5

• Varsity
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2018, 02:18:34 pm »

Public sentiment is running at an all time high against being able to restrict a player's movement.  Most attempts lately to stop a player from transferring to the school of his choice have ended with the player taking to the press to assert  their claims and the restrictions being lifted.

Brass Knob

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2018, 03:01:07 pm »

His job isn’t dependent on good press. It’s dependent on winning games. Being a pushover doesn’t win games.

Press dictates player's and family's opinions on a coach, opinions on a coach greatly sway his ability to get good players and good players greatly dictate a coach's ability to win...

So ya, good press and players are extremely important for a coach to have. You can stick your head in the sand or be obtuse all you want but MA made the smart and correct move just as Greg Marshall did...

Hawg Red

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 03:15:47 pm »

Because the player knows your system and can help scheme and game plan against you. That’s pretty obvious.

Jesus.

You act like the kid is giving away trade secrets. He doesn't possess KFC's original recipe, man. It's basketball.

Hawg Red

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2018, 03:17:59 pm »

Any coach that's afraid of a player going to another school and "helping them scheme and gameplan against them" is a [CENSORED] and needs to find a new job.

allmetro07

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2018, 03:48:39 pm »

I think it has a lot to do with the backlash
from not initially letting rotnei clark transfer

King Kong

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2018, 05:16:07 pm »

No it isn’t.

Bury your head in the sand all you want. Doesn’t make you right and it makes you lose the look pretty naive

Coaches plant and those seeds in kids heads. Same thing they do about early playing time

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 05:21:29 pm »

Because the player knows your system and can help scheme and game plan against you.
Can you even imagine how disappointed another school would be after taking our transfer and then learning all the “secrets” to the complicated and ingenious Fastest 40 system?

HawgHeadCheese

• Senior
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 05:33:06 pm »

Took the words out of my mouth. Especially in football

hobhog

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 10:39:11 pm »

Can you even imagine how disappointed another school would be after taking our transfer and then learning all the “secrets” to the complicated and ingenious Fastest 40 system?

Exactly. We can only hope they try to copy it....

porkinsons disease

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2018, 07:26:21 am »

Exactly. We can only hope they try to copy it....
Spot on...+1000

Captain Morgan

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2018, 07:59:43 am »

Really not sure what strategy or secrets the fastest 40 has. The style of basketball is played in every drive way and ball yards throughout the country.

Hawg Red

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2018, 08:34:09 am »

Really not sure what strategy or secrets the fastest 40 has. The style of basketball is played in every drive way and ball yards throughout the country.

Look up. You can see the joke that way.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2018, 08:49:50 am »

Where they transfer won't matter 2 seasons from now.  Is someone really afraid that we have offensive and defensive secrets to tell?  Are they going to take the "playbook" with them? LOL.... I'd rather have them on a team I'm playing, I know what they can and can't do.

Hawg Red

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2018, 08:59:15 am »

Where they transfer won't matter 2 seasons from now.  Is someone really afraid that we have offensive and defensive secrets to tell?  Are they going to take the "playbook" with them? LOL.... I'd rather have them on a team I'm playing, I know what they can and can't do.

Exactly. Such a pointless worry.

Hogvillage Idiot

• Senior
  • Doing my best to live up to my name.
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2018, 12:01:53 am »

It's because they are not worth it.  Seriously, how many jumpers did each have blocked this season?  Hardly ever see that happen.  These guys are not as good some think.

drester77

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2018, 12:35:59 am »

[/quote
Because both parties agreed it was best that they move on...There was some off the court issues that lead to the parting of ways....]

Captain Morgan

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2018, 02:00:44 pm »

system and scheme can be noticed by the average fan. Professionals paid to do so know more than we do about those "secrets"

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2018, 06:21:36 pm »

I completely understand blocking transfers to conference foes you will face every year, but it’s probably best to do the unrestricted to everyone else.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 08:06:26 pm by jgphillips3 »

jm

• Senior
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2018, 09:38:05 pm »

There isn't a real reason to block anyone in basketball; there just are not many secrets that can be hidden. Watch a game or two and you know the entire playbook in most cases. Basketball depends on guys being able to adlib and is just less structured than football..

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2018, 10:08:01 pm »

Any team with a good coach already knows exactly what to do to stop Arkansas. I doubt Hall or Jones describing the reliance on one on one basketball and an ineffective press is going to punch a hole in the universe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas