• 393,971 Topics
• 22,235 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Our 2018 Class vs. Hall & CJ  (Read 3426 times)

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Our 2018 Class vs. Hall & CJ
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2018, 11:26:19 am »

hopefully he likes basketball more than grass..

or rap

#1 STUNNA

• Hogvillian
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2018, 11:27:23 am »

or rap
grass is better than rap for sure..lol

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

swinesation

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 11:31:38 am »

Another false narrative ... nearly 900 transfers in college Bball last season, that's roughly 2-3 per team in D1 ... it's an epidemic that CMA has not proven immune to, but certainly it doesn't reflect any more poorly on him than it does other D1 coaches at all levels (high-, mid-, low-major).

Kevin, I've said this on a couple of other threads, but how often have two presumed starters (second and third among returning players in minutes and points) left a major college program that wasn't going through a coaching change or NCAA discipline? I'm assuming it's extremely rare. Maybe you have the wherewithal to check into that.

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2018, 11:33:52 am »

1 year investment vs. 3 year investment. Tory Miller will be a Grad Transfer. 6'9 and can play in the post.

He was starting and averaged 6-plus pts and nearly 5 rbs in roughly 22 mins per game before breaking his foot ... played in 6 games through the end of November ... has he been granted a medical hardship for a 5th season to play?

steveaustin69

• Senior
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2018, 11:35:55 am »

He was starting and averaged 6-plus pts and nearly 5 rbs in roughly 22 mins per game before breaking his foot ... played in 6 games through the end of November ... has he been granted a medical hardship for a 5th season to play?

Slight uptick from Dustin Thomas per 40 stats, but in the same range. Thomas was a solid, but limited role player. Don't see how this can be spun into a net positive if this is what Mike does.

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2018, 11:38:18 am »

Kevin, I've said this on a couple of other threads, but how often have two presumed starters (second and third among returning players in minutes and points) left a major college program that wasn't going through a coaching change or NCAA discipline? I'm assuming it's extremely rare. Maybe you have the wherewithal to check into that.

I don't think CJ had locked up a starting role or starter's minutes, so him leaving does not seem unusual to me (even given that half the roster was turning over) ... Hall is a different story, but we see 5-stars, starters, etc. move on ... Newman at MSU was one, left for Kansas ... is it uncommon for a projected starter to move on, sure it is, but it happens.

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2018, 11:41:50 am »

Slight uptick from Dustin Thomas per 40 stats, but in the same range. Thomas was a solid, but limited role player. Don't see how this can be spun into a net positive if this is what Mike does.

Because it's a 1-year answer, does not tie up a scholarship like your example did for 3 years. Gafford is going to play the big minutes at the 5, and a senior-grad-transfer big would just add size/depth to the frontline. If Arkansas can secure a better long-term option this late (doubtful, but possible), then you go that route. If not, Miller-Stewart would not be a bad get at all, assuming he's granted a medical hardship AND assuming his broken foot is not a lingering issue.

steveaustin69

• Senior
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2018, 11:46:33 am »

Because it's a 1-year answer, does not tie up a scholarship like your example did for 3 years. Gafford is going to play the big minutes at the 5, and a senior-grad-transfer big would just add size/depth to the frontline. If Arkansas can secure a better long-term option this late (doubtful, but possible), then you go that route. If not, Miller-Stewart would not be a bad get at all, assuming his broken foot is not a lingering issue.

Plugging leaks in year 8. Fantastic.

That scenario is not a net positive. Losing Hall who you yourself has said has All SEC potential by plugging a role player and maintaining roster flexibility is not a net positive.

raz1965

• Varsity
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2018, 11:53:46 am »

Looking forward to next year's team, with the talented group coming in an even excited to see the development of the other guys . Darious an C.J are done deals, and it quite possible neither will be missed.

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2018, 11:59:16 am »

Plugging leaks in year 8. Fantastic.

That scenario is not a net positive. Losing Hall who you yourself has said has All SEC potential by plugging a role player and maintaining roster flexibility is not a net positive.

You don't know that. Hall is not the only departure. If Arkansas has 2019 options that can be accomodated by signing a 1-year player, both the 1-year player and the 2019 prospect could play out to be a "net positive" relative to what CJ Jones would have brought to the table going forward.

Also, plugging leaks is going on all across the country these days due to mass transfers. CMA and staff have had "net positive" results with jucos and transfers, but they really haven't done anything (outside of Willy Kouassi) in terms of a senior-grad-transfers, so in that sense I'll believe it when I see it. Still, this was a hypothetical scenario where Miller-Stewart could be plugged in, and IF that were to happen, it very well could turn into a "net positive."

Razorpigg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2018, 12:01:57 pm »

Imagine not having a Qualls and just a Portis. That might be what it will be like without Hall on the roster.

Ummm negative. Hall is nowhere CLOSE to the shooter Qualls was. And it will take him a while to get there. Qualls had a great jump shot, got great lift on it too. Halls shot is flat footed and will never be what Qualls was. The comparisons are defensively, not offensively.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2018, 12:03:44 pm »

Ummm negative. Hall is nowhere CLOSE to the shooter Qualls was. And it will take him a while to get there. Qualls had a great jump shot, got great lift on it too. Halls shot is flat footed and will never be what Qualls was. The comparisons are defensively, not offensively.

You aren't comparing Qualls as a Fr to Hall in his Fr season. 

steveaustin69

• Senior
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2018, 12:03:49 pm »

You don't know that. Hall is not the only departure. If Arkansas has 2019 options that can be accomodated by signing a 1-year player, both the 1-year player and the 2019 prospect could play out to be a "net positive" relative to what CJ Jones would have brought to the table going forward.

Also, plugging leaks is going on all across the country these days due to mass transfers. CMA and staff have had "net positive" results with jucos and transfers, but they really haven't done anything (outside of Willy Kouassi) in terms of a senior-grad-transfers, so in that sense I'll believe it when I see it. Still, this was a hypothetical scenario where Miller-Stewart could be plugged in, and IF that were to happen, it very well could turn into a "net positive."

Let's kick the can three more years down the road. Maybe Mike will finally have his guys.

It's not a net positive today.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2018, 12:07:59 pm »

Let's kick the can three more years down the road. Maybe Mike will finally have his guys.

It's not a net positive today.

Well that is all that is left to do at this point.  Season 8 will be NITish to double digit NCAAT seed.  Still nationally irrelevant.  Gafford leaves.  The narrative will be wait till the 2020 class gets here with the 2018 class.  Nevermind that its doubtful all of the 2018 class stays that long or some of these reaches we are outrecruiting non power conference programs for won't pan out as anything more than a very limited role player at best.  Just wait till that 2020-21 season. 

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2018, 12:38:35 pm »

Because it's a 1-year answer, does not tie up a scholarship like your example did for 3 years. Gafford is going to play the big minutes at the 5, and a senior-grad-transfer big would just add size/depth to the frontline. If Arkansas can secure a better long-term option this late (doubtful, but possible), then you go that route. If not, Miller-Stewart would not be a bad get at all, assuming he's granted a medical hardship AND assuming his broken foot is not a lingering issue.

Miller-Stewart would be a perfect option for us as an addition. Big body to back up Gafford for one year, which doesn't tie up 2019 scholarships.

Big Nasty 34

• Hogvillian
  • John 3:16
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2018, 01:03:03 pm »

Player A
13-32 3PFG
64-128 FG

Player B
6-27 3PFG
55-137 FG

Who's the better shooter?

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2018, 01:05:45 pm »

Player A
13-32 3PFG
64-128 FG

Player B
6-27 3PFG
55-137 FG

Give me player B......he shot better from the FT line but almost 5% which tells me his stroke is a lot better just needs to work some things out.

Oh and player B ends up with a massive tip dunk to beat Kentucky. I'd take him all day long.

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2018, 01:07:58 pm »

Player A
13-32 3PFG
64-128 FG

Player B
6-27 3PFG
55-137 FG

Player A is obviously Hall, B is Qualls ... Hall is already a better defender than Qualls ever was ... bigger, strong too ... better ball skill, too, although that did not reveal itself enough his freshman season.

azhog10

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2018, 01:10:49 pm »

Player A is obviously Hall, B is Qualls ... Hall is already a better defender than Qualls ever was ... bigger, strong too ... better ball skill, too, although that did not reveal itself enough his freshman season.
Hmm....you can't be serious about defense. Hall fouled 72 times this season Qualls 30 as a freshman. Hall had 8 blocks and Qualls 21, Hall 18 steals and Qualls 21. Qualls was the better defender and fouled less.

BannerMountainMan

• WPS
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2018, 01:47:06 pm »

Mason Jones official visit to Arkansas this weekend, big time JUCO player

azhog10

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2018, 01:53:29 pm »

Good shooter for his size.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2018, 02:15:37 pm »

He was committed to UCA

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2018, 03:19:34 pm »

More info here:
http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=659631.0

STLhawg

• Senior
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2018, 04:43:58 pm »

Another false narrative ... nearly 900 transfers in college Bball last season, that's roughly 2-3 per team in D1 ... it's an epidemic that CMA has not proven immune to, but certainly it doesn't reflect any more poorly on him than it does other D1 coaches at all levels (high-, mid-, low-major).
I couldn't agree more!

azhog10

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2018, 04:52:13 pm »

He was committed to UCA
Was this before the one JUCO year or during the JUCO season?

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2018, 05:25:46 pm »

Was this before the one JUCO year or during the JUCO season?

This year. He just decommitted last week after a lot of better programs showing interest after he went on a tear these past few weeks. My boy at NEO told me the kid can absolutely play and shoot the rock. Not just a catch and shoot guy, he shoot off dribble as well

azhog10

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2018, 05:30:42 pm »

This year. He just decommitted last week after a lot of better programs showing interest after he went on a tear these past few weeks. My boy at NEO told me the kid can absolutely play and shoot the rock. Not just a catch and shoot guy, he shoot off dribble as well
Film looked decent. Would like to see him and Jahbril run with the guys and see who is better. I would take Tory Miller and one JUCO/Freshman wing. Prefer the JUCO so this class isn't as big. Still waiting to see if we have one more transfer coming.

RebHog

• Varsity
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2018, 05:36:33 pm »

Do you think Hall should have been a starter with more minutes and relegated Beard to backup ball handling duties?  I think it was glaring in the Butler game.

sickboy

« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2018, 05:45:08 pm »

The knock on hall in HS was that he was too uncoordinated for his size. He slid down the rankings after initially being ranked pretty high, and it was because he just looked uncoordinated and awkward. And he still looked a bit uncoordinated and awkward in his movements as a freshman, but my, he sure played some damn good defense in my opinion. So maybe you could say he's underrated.

Meh. He still looks pretty uncoordinated to me. Not saying he can't develop, but I think most of the hype with Hall around here is simply because we're not used to seeing our guys play defense. Sure, Hall can dunk with aggression, but I don't see him being much more than a dunk and foul guy. But who knows. Maybe he's the next Jacorey Williams. I don't see him developing a shot like Jacorey though.

I don't like losing guys, but Hall and CJ isn't like losing Babb and Whitt.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2018, 05:59:55 pm »

Film looked decent. Would like to see him and Jahbril run with the guys and see who is better. I would take Tory Miller and one JUCO/Freshman wing. Prefer the JUCO so this class isn't as big. Still waiting to see if we have one more transfer coming.

Heís not very athletic so his film isnít going to be super exciting. His range, confidence and ability to shoot off the dribble is what I like about him. He also can rebound well.

HawgHeadCheese

• Senior
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2018, 06:01:50 pm »

Meh. He still looks pretty uncoordinated to me. Not saying he can't develop, but I think most of the hype with Hall around here is simply because we're not used to seeing our guys play defense. Sure, Hall can dunk with aggression, but I don't see him being much more than a dunk and foul guy. But who knows. Maybe he's the next Jacorey Williams. I don't see him developing a shot like Jacorey though.

Whitt was horrible IMO and we upgraded talent wise. Babb was cool. Hall will be a monster the next time he plays in college Jersey for whoever it is and it hurts my razorback pride to say that. He has things you can't coach size, length, athleticism, and his intensity level is through the roof. I didn't see him back down from any moment on the court. Offensively he shot like 40 from 3 tho on small amount of attempts, uses the triple threat jab and step through very well, showed a jump stop & pro hop on drives to the basket, and shot the mid range decent. Hall has so much in his game that hasn't fully developed but when you view it from a Coaches perspective you say "dang that kid is gone be good by his so and so year". I hate to admit it but this one hurt. We will still be fine tho.

niels_boar

• Senior
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2018, 06:03:16 pm »

Do you think Hall should have been a starter with more minutes and relegated Beard to backup ball handling duties?  I think it was glaring in the Butler game.

Hall played 22 minutes against Butler.  He scored 4 points on 2 of 7 (0-2), 4 rebounds, 0 assists, 2 TOs, 2 stls, 1 block.  It's not like playing Hall another 5 minutes would have been the difference.  If you look at the numbers, our offense was worse than our defense in that game.  The reason we lost didn't have anything to do with Hall or Beard. Macon and Barford went 7 of 21 (3 of 12) and Gafford was 2 of 9.  Generally your stars win and lose NCAAT games.

Hall didn't get more time this season because on O he was limited to occasionally making open jump shots and playing hot potato with the ball.  His defense and rebounding got him on the court when he stopped trying to drive.  Early on he was a turnover waiting to happen.  He turned the ball over at twice the rate as Beard on the season with nary an assist.  Only CJ Jones had a lower assist rate than Hall, and only Gabe turned it over more often in limited minutes.  He was a 56% FT shooter.  Beard was on the court to run the offense, and he wasn't the defensive liability in the backcourt. A lot of what Hall added on defense was often taken away on O when he was on the court.  He had the lowest offensive rating of any player that got significant minutes.

The promise of Hall is that he gets a lot better on offense.  He both needs to in order to justify minutes and appears capable of making significant strides with the tools that he has.  However, that doesn't change the fact that he was a marginal offensive player this season.

sickboy

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2018, 06:23:36 pm »

Whitt was horrible IMO and we upgraded talent wise. Babb was cool. Hall will be a monster the next time he plays in college Jersey for whoever it is and it hurts my razorback pride to say that. He has things you can't coach size, length, athleticism, and his intensity level is through the roof. I didn't see him back down from any moment on the court. Offensively he shot like 40 from 3 tho on small amount of attempts, uses the triple threat jab and step through very well, showed a jump stop & pro hop on drives to the basket, and shot the mid range decent. Hall has so much in his game that hasn't fully developed but when you view it from a Coaches perspective you say "dang that kid is gone be good by his so and so year". I hate to admit it but this one hurt. We will still be fine tho.

Jimmy Whitt averaged more ppg/asst/steals than Darious Hall. They played different positions, but Whitt had more potential. He averaged 11ppg this year, FYI. Again, not saying that Hall can't do that, but I am highly skeptical. And I was never a coach, only a player, and in my experience, guys like Hall have a harder time developing than guys like Whitt. Hall might be able to develop his three, but he's going to have to figure out how to reprogram his body control, because he has none. That's the only way he's going to become a versatile guy who can score. It's more than developing a mid-range game. Hall has to figure out how to play in control with the ball in his hands. Because it seems like that's the guy he wants to be. And he very much is not that right now.

His greatest strength though is his motor. You can't develop that. Guys mostly have it or they don't. I could see him becoming a rebound/defensive machine. A Dennis Rodman type player if all things go well.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2018, 06:33:38 pm »

MAís knee jerk substitution patterns and trying to play 11 or 12 guys is not an attractive system for most good players. How many times have you seen a hog player go on a run and make 2 or 3 shots only to be taken out at the next break?  Itís maddening!  I admit that I an bias and have always hated MAís coaching style but facts are facts.

I agree. Find your best 8 or 9 kids and give them 90% of playing time. Give your top 5 the most of course. I think we should red shirt 1 or 2 kids a year and develop them.

BannerMountainMan

• WPS
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2018, 06:53:17 pm »

I agree. Find your best 8 or 9 kids and give them 90% of playing time. Give your top 5 the most of course. I think we should red shirt 1 or 2 kids a year and develop them.
he only played 8 guys wth are yíall talking about

hawgball40

• Senior
  • #wps4life
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2018, 07:20:07 pm »

Yes, Isaiah Joe, Keyshawn Embery and Reggie Chaney are underrated. Desi is a very hard worker, great kid, and a fierce competitor so itís hard to evaluate guys like him. Jordan Phillips can really play but Iím concerned with his motor and he also just had a minor hip surgery.

This is the type of foundation class weíve been needing. Hopefully we can retain them and watch them build chemistry together over the years...
can you elaborate on the specific procedure? I mean there is no such thing as a minor hip surgery unless they just went in and removed a part of the labrum(ie scar tissue), and even if that's a case its a bad sign. with such a hip problem, turning the corner at full speed(such as a hard cut to the basket off a crossover) is very difficult and painful. i know cause i had a similar injury(scar tissue on labrum from minor impingement + tear) but opt to forego surgery

hawgball40

• Senior
  • #wps4life
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2018, 07:22:46 pm »

i'm confused, he has a better shot than jacorey in my opinion. his release is just low and slow, but the motion looked fine to me. that's why i thought he could grow into a 3 and D guy like bridges at nova

Leadbelly

• Varsity
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2018, 07:28:49 pm »

Say what you want but Beard was a big reason the ship didn't sink mid way through the season. About the only decent leader on the team. Beard had his flaws but he wasn't a bad player like you make him out to be. Beard drove me nuts at times but Hall got about the minutes he deserved when you factor in some of the other stuff going on.

Best thing about Beard is that he grad...uh used up his eligibility.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2018, 07:39:43 pm »

can you elaborate on the specific procedure? I mean there is no such thing as a minor hip surgery unless they just went in and removed a part of the labrum(ie scar tissue), and even if that's a case its a bad sign. with such a hip problem, turning the corner at full speed(such as a hard cut to the basket off a crossover) is very difficult and painful. i know cause i had a similar injury(scar tissue on labrum from minor impingement + tear) but opt to forego surgery

Iím not sure of the details

hawgball40

• Senior
  • #wps4life
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2018, 08:13:19 pm »

Iím not sure of the details
ah man. hopefully you are right about it being minor and he's recovered and not in pain. It's worth Noting gafford had meniscus surgery after senior year and some people were freaking out over that but he was ready to go as a freshman.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2018, 08:17:40 pm »

ah man. hopefully you are right about it being minor and he's recovered and not in pain. It's worth Noting gafford had meniscus surgery after senior year and some people were freaking out over that but he was ready to go as a freshman.

Yeah, Dan was blessed to be alive and to walk away with only a minor meniscus injury and a few scars

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2018, 08:27:45 pm »

I'm guessing that losing playing time at the Small Forward spot to a 5'10" off guard who averaged 9 ppg in 30 mins and shot 32% from 3pt and 38% overall had something to do with it.

Again Anderson's love of Beard was easily seen by a parent. It's obvious Mike will play his favorite and of you aren't his favorite then you get jerked for every mistake.

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2018, 08:31:33 pm »

Again Anderson's love of Beard was easily seen by a parent. It's obvious Mike will play his favorite and of you aren't his favorite then you get jerked for every mistake.
Call it the Beard factor, loss two players because of his love affair with Beard IMO. Whitt minutes were taken the minute Beard got back, and DH didn't get earned minutes because it was written some where for MA that Beard must be among his top minute guys...................

BannerMountainMan

• WPS
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2018, 08:33:50 pm »

And again Iíve seen Hall try to handle the ball down the court, itís not pretty, Hall had one good game against Ole Miss on the road besides that all his points are on layups and a few dunks, Beard controlled the offense and handled the ball, Macon didnít look comfortable handling it, and Barford sure didnít because he wonít pass it. So thereís your final answer, someone has to control the ball during the game.

rude1

« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2018, 08:46:21 pm »

And again Iíve seen Hall try to handle the ball down the court, itís not pretty, Hall had one good game against Ole Miss on the road besides that all his points are on layups and a few dunks, Beard controlled the offense and handled the ball, Macon didnít look comfortable handling it, and Barford sure didnít because he wonít pass it. So thereís your final answer, someone has to control the ball during the game.
Just stop!!! Hall shot 50% from the field 41% from 3. Beard 39% from the field 33% from three. The only stat Beard was better in is T.O.s, which you would expect when comparing a freshman to a senior. The REAL problem is Beard with such a putrid field goal % was THIRD in field goal attempts, taking more shots than even Gafford. Add to that, that only two players started every game Barford & Beard. MA love affair with this guy has now seen us lose two players with much better upside to transfer....................

BannerMountainMan

• WPS
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2018, 08:48:05 pm »

Just stop!!! Hall shot 50% from the field 41% from 3. Beard 39% from the field 33% from three. The only stat Beard was better in is T.O.s, which you would expect when comparing a freshman to a senior. The REAL problem is Beard with such a putrid field goal % was THIRD in field goal attempts, taking more shots than even Gafford. Add to that, that only two players started every game Barford & Beard. MA love affair with this guy has now seen us lose two players with much better upside to transfer....................
did I say one thing about shooting?

rude1

« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2018, 08:49:36 pm »

did I say one thing about shooting?
Lol of course not because it didn't fit your agenda......Your job is to try and rationale what MA does as a coach, much of which is not rationale..............

niels_boar

• Senior
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2018, 09:26:35 am »

Beard was 36% on treys in SEC play when Hall became playable, and Hall was limited to taking wide open shots.  Beard sometimes had to take shots at the end of the shot clock.  Beard only took a shot every 3.7 minutes, which was a distant fifth to the Big Three and CJ Jones.  Hall shot the ball almost as often at 4.1 minutes per shot.  Beard also got an assist every 10.0 minutes, as opposed to 32.4 to Hall.  Likewise, Beard had a TO every 23.4 minutes to 13.3  for Hall.  It's not obvious to the casual observer how big a difference that drop in ballhandling makes to the offense when the goal of the offense was to get Barford, Macon, and Gafford shots.  Hall scored at only a slightly higher rate than Beard, 2.9 to 3.2 minutes per point.  Hall was not a scorer and a big drag in ballhandling.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2018, 09:34:38 am »

Beard was 36% on treys in SEC play when Hall became playable, and Hall was limited to taking wide open shots.  Beard sometimes had to take shots at the end of the shot clock.  Beard only took a shot every 3.7 minutes, which was a distant fifth to the Big Three and CJ Jones.  Hall shot the ball almost as often at 4.1 minutes per shot.  Beard also got an assist every 10.0 minutes, as opposed to 32.4 to Hall.  Likewise, Beard had a TO every 23.4 minutes to 13.3  for Hall.  It's not obvious to the casual observer how big a difference that drop in ballhandling makes to the offense when the goal of the offense was to get Barford, Macon, and Gafford shots.  Hall scored at only a slightly higher rate than Beard, 2.9 to 3.2 minutes per point.  Hall was not a scorer and a big drag in ballhandling.

Hall did things on the defensive side that your analytics you love to provide doesnít show. His length, energy and athleticism was something we desperately needed and Beard couldnít provide that. Hall deserved to start midway through the season regardless of his offensive flaws

RebHog

• Varsity
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2018, 09:59:23 am »

Hall did things on the defensive side that your analytics you love to provide doesnít show. His length, energy and athleticism was something we desperately needed and Beard couldnít provide that. Hall deserved to start midway through the season regardless of his offensive flaws

This +1 and Beard running the offense really? I must have watched a different team Barford and Macon dominated the ball for the starting line up. They are offense oriented players that needed to be paired with a wing that can bring something defensively.  I feel from the start of the season if beard was the first man off the bench for either Macon or Barford whoever got tired or in foul trouble first and let hall gel with the starting lineup this team would have been better at the end of the season. I do agree hall on offense wasn't pretty to watch but when you had Barford and Macon on the court together his offense wasn't needed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas