• 396,145 Topics
• 22,373 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Our 2018 Class vs. Hall & CJ  (Read 3748 times)

STLhawg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Our 2018 Class vs. Hall & CJ
« on: April 04, 2018, 11:49:21 pm »

I was surprised to find that Hall's 2017 rating (of .8616) is lower than anyone we signed in our 2018 class.  In our 2018 class, Desi Sill is our lowest ranked recruit coming in at .8830 -- with everyone else being .9087 or better.  With all the hype around Hall lately, I was also surprised to see he was rated only a hair higher than Gabe (with .8600). 

I wasn't so surprised to find that CJ's 2016 rating was the lowest of that class (at .8328) and even lower than Hall's rating.  For reference Brachen Hazen had a rating of .8519.

All numbers are according to 247.  With all that said, I am not claiming Hall, if were fully on board with our team, wouldn't be missed next season.  The problem is he gave up on our team -- with some reports claiming it started as early last December.  Sad to see an Arkansas kid so enamored with himself that he cannot see the forest for the trees.

hawgball40

Re: Our 2018 Class vs. Hall & CJ
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 12:06:05 am »

I was surprised to find that Hall's 2017 rating (of .8616) is lower than anyone we signed in our 2018 class.  In our 2018 class, Desi Sill is our lowest ranked recruit coming in at .8830 -- with everyone else being .9087 or better.  With all the hype around Hall lately, I was also surprised to see he was rated only a hair higher than Gabe (with .8600). 

I wasn't so surprised to find that CJ's 2016 rating was the lowest of that class (at .8328) and even lower than Hall's rating.  For reference Brachen Hazen had a rating of .8519.

All numbers are according to 247.  With all that said, I am not claiming Hall, if were fully on board with our team, wouldn't be missed next season.  The problem is he gave up on our team -- with some reports claiming it started as early last December.  Sad to see an Arkansas kid so enamored with himself that he cannot see the forest for the trees.
The knock on hall in HS was that he was too uncoordinated for his size. He slid down the rankings after initially being ranked pretty high, and it was because he just looked uncoordinated and awkward. And he still looked a bit uncoordinated and awkward in his movements as a freshman, but my, he sure played some damn good defense in my opinion. So maybe you could say he's underrated.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 07:05:06 am »

Hall would  thrive in MAís system by his sophomore of junior year, he however will not in a slow down game

Fan701

• Varsity
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 07:05:51 am »

I appreciate your trying to find a silver lining in the Hall affair, but I think his play made it pretty clear that he was underrated coming out of high school.  Many said so at the time.  He's going to be hard to replace, I think, at least in the short run. 

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:33:20 am »

I get the point that youíre trying to make but those rankings donít define who they actually are as a player. It definitely hurts to lose Dayday, but if we can get a solid grad transfer or two in here then it might be a blessing in disguise. We definitely needed a couple scholarships for next year

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 07:39:53 am »

I get the point that youíre trying to make but those rankings donít define who they actually are as a player. It definitely hurts to lose Dayday, but if we can get a solid grad transfer or two in here then it might be a blessing in disguise. We definitely needed a couple scholarships for next year
so in your opinion are any of these 2018 recruits underrated also?

hogwood

• Hogvillian
  • Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 07:42:13 am »

Imagine not having a Qualls and just a Portis. That might be what it will be like without Hall on the roster.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 08:14:55 am »

Dee Wagner was a .8916 rated recruit. You really going to take him over Darious Hall?

cram224

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 08:24:16 am »

It's not like we are losing the 6th man of the year award winner. Most times Bailey was off the bench first before DH & CJ.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 08:27:41 am »

If it weren't for Hall's seven foot wingspan, I doubt we'd be nearly as enamored with him.

steveaustin69

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 08:29:53 am »

If it weren't for Hall's seven foot wingspan, I doubt we'd be nearly as enamored with him.

If it weren't for his above average athleticism, elite length, and the flashes he showed in limited minutes as a true freshman I doubt we'd be nearly as enamored with him.

golfinpig

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 08:31:58 am »

We only lost the second best returning player on the team so no big deal. (Sarcasm)

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 08:34:55 am »

so in your opinion are any of these 2018 recruits underrated also?

Yes, Isaiah Joe, Keyshawn Embery and Reggie Chaney are underrated. Desi is a very hard worker, great kid, and a fierce competitor so itís hard to evaluate guys like him. Jordan Phillips can really play but Iím concerned with his motor and he also just had a minor hip surgery.

This is the type of foundation class weíve been needing. Hopefully we can retain them and watch them build chemistry together over the years...

golfinpig

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 08:52:11 am »

MAís knee jerk substitution patterns and trying to play 11 or 12 guys is not an attractive system for most good players. How many times have you seen a hog player go on a run and make 2 or 3 shots only to be taken out at the next break?  Itís maddening!  I admit that I an bias and have always hated MAís coaching style but facts are facts.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 08:52:31 am »

Yes, Isaiah Joe, Keyshawn Embery and Reggie Chaney are underrated. Desi is a very hard worker, great kid, and a fierce competitor so itís hard to evaluate guys like him. Jordan Phillips can really play but Iím concerned with his motor and he also just had a minor hip surgery.

This is the type of foundation class weíve been needing. Hopefully we can retain them and watch them build chemistry together over the years...
one more question. Whoís the answer down low after Gafford?

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 08:55:29 am »

one more question. Whoís the answer down low after Gafford?

*scratches head*
Hopefully we can find someone in the Ď19 class otherwise weíre going to need Ethan to hit those weights hard

azhog10

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 08:56:05 am »

Dee Wagner was a .8916 rated recruit. You really going to take him over Darious Hall?
True, but wasn't Dee Mr. Basketball in Louisiana?

STLhawg

• Senior
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 09:03:13 am »

Actually I didn't set out to find a silver lining.  Instead I was just trying to quantify the loss.  Can you tell I am an engineer?  :)

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 09:13:00 am »

We was the 6th ranked player in the state. That award means little.

Hall was an ESPN rated 4-star player. This is a loss.

azhog10

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 09:15:28 am »

We was the 6th ranked player in the state. That award means little.

Hall was an ESPN rated 4-star player. This is a loss.
Have never said losing Hall wasn't a loss. My point with Dee is that he wasn't like some nobody. He was a late filler that had some clout. Won Mr. Basketball and his rating wasn't awful. He just didn't pan out and that's why he wasn't here for long. Everyone knows losing Hall sucks, but you have to come to grips with things and there's more to the story than will ever go public. Now it's on Mike to find real replacements and hopefully this helps open some schollys for future classes.

Big Nasty 34

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 09:18:29 am »

MAís knee jerk substitution patterns and trying to play 11 or 12 guys is not an attractive system for most good players. How many times have you seen a hog player go on a run and make 2 or 3 shots only to be taken out at the next break?  Itís maddening!  I admit that I an bias and have always hated MAís coaching style but facts are facts.

Hall has grown up a hog fan and watched Mike Anderson coached teams. He knew what he was getting into. That's just an excuse at this point.

mbgrulz

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 09:26:31 am »

Hall would  thrive in MAís system by his sophomore of junior year, he however will not in a slow down game
Totally disagree that he will not thrive in what you are calling a slow down game.

Imagine him playing for Rick Barnes at Tennessee...I think he'd be fantastic under someone who coaches great half court D. His offensive game is already pretty good, and it will just get better. Between Babb, Whitt, and Hall, this one hurts the worst by far.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 09:27:31 am »

Have never said losing Hall wasn't a loss. My point with Dee is that he wasn't like some nobody. He was a late filler that had some clout. Won Mr. Basketball and his rating wasn't awful. He just didn't pan out and that's why he wasn't here for long. Everyone knows losing Hall sucks, but you have to come to grips with things and there's more to the story than will ever go public. Now it's on Mike to find real replacements and hopefully this helps open some schollys for future classes.

I'm guessing that losing playing time at the Small Forward spot to a 5'10" off guard who averaged 9 ppg in 30 mins and shot 32% from 3pt and 38% overall had something to do with it.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 09:29:24 am »

If you saw any tape of him in high school, you would see that his game would not translate well. You can say the same for Anton. He plays the EXACT same way he played in high school

azhog10

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 09:31:00 am »

If you saw any tape of him in high school, you would see that his game would not translate well. You can say the same for Anton. He plays the EXACT same way he played in high school
I didn't but my point was he wasn't some schmuck. Sure he didn't pan out and I know there were a decent amount that thought he never would. But he was a late filler at a time where we didn't have much reputation of winning basketball. Never saw film, but he was a winner.

azhog10

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2018, 09:33:22 am »

I'm guessing that losing playing time at the Small Forward spot to a 5'10" off guard who averaged 9 ppg in 30 mins and shot 32% from 3pt and 38% overall had something to do with it.
Say what you want but Beard was a big reason the ship didn't sink mid way through the season. About the only decent leader on the team. Beard had his flaws but he wasn't a bad player like you make him out to be. Beard drove me nuts at times but Hall got about the minutes he deserved when you factor in some of the other stuff going on.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2018, 09:33:39 am »

I didn't but my point was he wasn't some schmuck. Sure he didn't pan out and I know there were a decent amount that thought he never would. But he was a late filler at a time where we didn't have much reputation of winning basketball. Never saw film, but he was a winner.

We beat out Sam Houston State for him.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2018, 09:41:48 am »

Say what you want but Beard was a big reason the ship didn't sink mid way through the season. About the only decent leader on the team. Beard had his flaws but he wasn't a bad player like you make him out to be. Beard drove me nuts at times but Hall got about the minutes he deserved when you factor in some of the other stuff going on.

Are you referring to after the 3 game losing streak where Mike inserted Hall into the starting lineup and he went off for 10 pts, 5 rebs, and 2 stls in 20 minutes while going 4 for 4 from the field in a win against Mizzou?

And what did Hall get for his performance? Benched the next game!

Darious Hall was also the main reason we came back against Butler.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 09:42:45 am »

Hall wasnt skilled enough this season for many more minutes...His motor and defense were his strengths.. didnt have many more as a freshman.

STLhawg

• Senior
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2018, 09:43:27 am »

Hall has grown up a hog fan and watched Mike Anderson coached teams. He knew what he was getting into. That's just an excuse at this point.
I would tend to agree.  If he ends up at Memphis with his mom working for FedEx, then we will all know what really transpired -- despite his lip service. 

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2018, 09:43:36 am »

20 ppg in 3A basketball is nothing to shake a stick at bro. We have guys in this state who do that every year and win titles. That doesnít mean we should panic and give them a scholarship. Our staff hasnít been the best talent evaluators and thatís why weíre in the position that we are in. Iím really eager to see what Coach A can do with actual high major talent getting quality minutes for us.

STLhawg

• Senior
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2018, 09:49:12 am »

Imagine not having a Qualls and just a Portis. That might be what it will be like without Hall on the roster.
Speaking of Qualls.  MA did do a fine job of developing/showcasing him.  He was destined to be drafted after his junior season until he blew out his knee during a NBA workout.  You would think Hall would have been smart enough to follow that blueprint.

azhog10

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 10:24:55 am »

We beat out Sam Houston State for him.
You mean like the UALR offer Hall had? That was his only offer besides us. I agree Hall was a much better player but hindsight is what it is.

azhog10

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 10:26:00 am »

Are you referring to after the 3 game losing streak where Mike inserted Hall into the starting lineup and he went off for 10 pts, 5 rebs, and 2 stls in 20 minutes while going 4 for 4 from the field in a win against Mizzou?

And what did Hall get for his performance? Benched the next game!

Darious Hall was also the main reason we came back against Butler.
If only all that mattered for a student athlete was their play on the court. Lots of kids would have played a lot more than they did. Hell DT would have gotten to finish out his season if nothing else mattered.

azhog10

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 10:27:56 am »

20 ppg in 3A basketball is nothing to shake a stick at bro. We have guys in this state who do that every year and win titles. That doesnít mean we should panic and give them a scholarship. Our staff hasnít been the best talent evaluators and thatís why weíre in the position that we are in. Iím really eager to see what Coach A can do with actual high major talent getting quality minutes for us.
Where did I say it was? In none of my posts am I bashing Hall or saying he wasn't a great player. Go back and read my posts about Hall, I said from day 1 he was one of the best recruits of that class. Please enlighten me where I've shaken a stick at Hall. He was an under recruited steal like Qualls and others Mike has been able to go out and find. D. Wagner was one of the misses for sure. Both were recruited and evaluated similarly.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 10:29:32 am »

Where did I say it was? In none of my posts am I bashing Hall or saying he wasn't a great player. Go back and read my posts about Hall, I said from day 1 he was one of the best recruits of that class. Please enlighten me where I've shaken a stick at Hall. He was an under recruited steal like Qualls and others Mike has been able to go out and find. D. Wagner was one of the misses for sure. Both were recruited and evaluated similarly.

Huh? I was referring to Wagner that whole statement bro

jst01

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 10:29:44 am »

How many of these incoming freshmen will transfer out after next year?  Because based on actual historical results of MA's roster management, we can expect two of them to not be around.

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2018, 10:34:46 am »

The 3 (or SF, wing, 3rd guard, however you want to poronounce it) is one position that Arkansas has lacked depth -- Qualls was the one and only quality player with size, length, and athleticism under CMA before Hall and Khalil Garland (ESPN Top 60 combo guard who can play the 1, 2, and 3) signed in 2017 ... IF Garland gets cleared, and with Jordan Phillips signed in the '18 class, and IF Hogs offer/sign Jahbril Price-Noel (which I believe is likely to happen), that will be 3 players suited to pay the 3 ... additonally, Isaiah Joe (6-4, c/o '18) has the height/length to be a viable 3rd guard/wing ... so, unlike in the past, UA should have depth on the wing even with the departure of Hall.

Now, don't get me wrong. Losing Hall hurts. I've felt since covering him as a HS senior that he had long-term All SEC stuff with a shot at pro ball down the line, and after watching him as a freshman (Hog's best on-ball defender, best in the press, deflections, steals, taking charges, crashing the boards with a passion at both ends ... and per-40-min production of 13.6 pts, 8.5 rbs, 50% FGs including 40.6% from 3) combined with new opportunities to play a lot more minutes, and be a leader, on a young team as a sophomore -- ALL of that had pursuaded me that Hall was going to at minimum rise to Qualls' value (MQ was 2nd team ALL SEC as junior and vaulted to a high- to mid-second round NBA draft grade).

Arkansas could really use some good news on Garland, and BTW we could learn something either way in a couple of weeks. But even if he's not cleared, Phillips provides size and skill at the 3 with Joe as a viable wing option in 3-guard lineups, and I think we might see Jahbril Price-Noel in the fold soon.

Let's assume it plays out that way ...

1. Adrio Bailey, 6-6 junior, combo-4
2. Daniel Gafford, 6-11 sophomore, center
3. Gabe Osabuohien, 6-8 sophomore, combo-4
4. Jalen Harris, 6-2 redshirt sophomore, point guard
5. Unknown -- Khalil Garland, 6-5 redshirt freshman, combo guard ... we'll he be cleared to play ???
6. Isaiah Joe, 6-4 freshman, SG/wing
7. Ethan Henderson, 6-8 freshman, PF/C
8. Desi Sills, 6-2 freshman, combo guard
9. Reggie Chaney, 6-7 freshman, combo-4
10. Jordan Phillips, 6-6 / 6-7 freshman, SF/wing
11. Keyshawn Embery, 6-3 freshman, combo guard
12. Unknown -- will Hogs offer/sign Jahbril Price-Noel?, 6-6 / 6-7 freshman, SF/wing ... with Hall and Jones gone, and with question marks surrounding Garland's status, JPN might get an offer quickly, and I mean very quickly.
13. Unknown -- will Hogs go after freshman, juco, transfer, or senior grad transfer? -- unless a quality HS senior or juco becomes available (possible but unlikely this late), a senior grad transfer would be preferred because the scholarship becomes available again for the '19 class ... we can also assume its likely Daniel Gafford will be gone no later than the end of next season, so that opens up a scholarship, too, for c/o '19 ... Arkansas could also entertain bringing in a transfer that must sit out and redshirt, something they've done often (AHarris, KMiles, DHannahs, DThomas, JHarris) ... lots of options and different ways to go here, including saving the scholarship for '19 if all else fails.

Just looking at that lineup, I'd say Arkansas should be trying to add another interior player for '18-19, a senior grad transfer if they can't find a quality HS, juco, or regular transfer.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:45:58 am by Kevin McPherson »

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2018, 10:37:38 am »

How many of these incoming freshmen will transfer out after next year?  Because based on actual historical results of MA's roster management, we can expect two of them to not be around.

Another false narrative ... nearly 900 transfers in college Bball last season, that's roughly 2-3 per team in D1 ... it's an epidemic that CMA has not proven immune to, but certainly it doesn't reflect any more poorly on him than it does other D1 coaches at all levels (high-, mid-, low-major).

jst01

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 10:50:03 am »

Another false narrative ... nearly 900 transfers in college Bball last season, that's roughly 2-3 per team in D1 ... it's an epidemic that CMA has not proven immune to, but certainly it doesn't reflect any more poorly on him than it does other D1 coaches at all levels (high-, mid-, low-major).

Well then its not a false narrative.  Its a true statement that MA and others have issues with. Interpret the statement how you want.

steveaustin69

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 10:55:54 am »

Is this strictly D1 to D1 transfers? That would mean nearly a quarter of all D1 players had to sit out a season. I'd be shocked if that is the case.

azhog10

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 10:58:43 am »

Is this strictly D1 to D1 transfers? That would mean nearly a quarter of all D1 players had to sit out a season. I'd be shocked if that is the case.
No just 900 left the D1 program they are in. Some go to JUCO or D2, also a good amount of those are senior grad transfers that don't have to sit. About 130 of the 380 right now are eligible to play right away.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 11:00:50 am »

division 1 transfers right now is 380

cram224

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 11:00:52 am »

Your assessment above just shows the problem CMA has had over the years. Only 1 true center on roster and no true power forwards. I will say after watching Reggie Chaney on TV, he looks the part of a good PF. When Larry Johnson told Nolan to get him some men, why was CMA not on the bench and heard that commit?

Letsroll1200

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2018, 11:05:00 am »

In today's climate of college basketball, you never stop recruiting. Hopefully the Hogs will get a grad transfer and take the best player possible regardless of class. They could bring in Clint McDaniel's nephew Tory Miller that's a grad transfer from Colorado. He could bring some experience and size to the Razorback roster.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2018, 11:06:54 am »

Your assessment above just shows the problem CMA has had over the years. Only 1 true center on roster and no true power forwards. I will say after watching Reggie Chaney on TV, he looks the part of a good PF. When Larry Johnson told Nolan to get him some men, why was CMA not on the bench and heard that commit?

Larry Johnson was about 22 or 23 years old when he made that comment. The elite/good ones are in the NBA or playing overseas at that age.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2018, 11:07:17 am »

In today's climate of college basketball, you never stop recruiting. Hopefully the Hogs will get a grad transfer and take the best player possible regardless of class. They could bring in Clint McDaniel's nephew Tory Miller that's a grad transfer from Colorado. He could bring some experience and size to the Razorback roster.

the last transfer from Colorado was a mess.

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2018, 11:13:37 am »

No just 900 left the D1 program they are in. Some go to JUCO or D2, also a good amount of those are senior grad transfers that don't have to sit. About 130 of the 380 right now are eligible to play right away.

All of which supports the notion that players are transferring at a crazy-high rate. That 380 number is going to continue to grow. Mass transfer has become a wide-spread issue in college hoops, not just an issue at Arkansas.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2018, 11:16:29 am »

the last transfer from Colorado was a mess.

1 year investment vs. 3 year investment. Tory Miller will be a Grad Transfer. 6'9 and can play in the post.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2018, 11:17:22 am »

1 year investment vs. 3 year investment. Tory Miller will be a Grad Transfer. 6'9 and can play in the post.
hopefully he likes basketball more than grass..
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas