• 393,906 Topics
• 22,230 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Hall and Jones leaving  (Read 12331 times)

redleg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Hall and Jones leaving
« on: April 04, 2018, 08:34:11 pm »

So Darius Hall and CJ Jones are leaving the program. How will this affect the team (good and bad)? Will Coach Anderson go after two more signees for the 2018 class, and will one of them be a center to help Gafford?

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
Re: Hall and Jones leaving
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 08:38:47 pm »

So Darius Hall and CJ Jones are leaving the program. How will this affect the team (good and bad)? Will Coach Anderson go after two more signees for the 2018 class, and will one of them be a center to help Gafford?

As far as how it'll affect the team, we'll never really know.  We might have a good idea next season though if we see somebody else playing in the minutes that Jones or Hall would've had and we all think "wow, that's better/worse than Hall or Jones would've done." 

I'll speculate and say he gets one grad transfer and saves one scholarship to have enough schollies for Hill and Franklin. 

Rzrbackramfan out (now I'm legit)

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

mhuff

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 08:39:09 pm »

Looking for us to pursue Price and a graduate transfer.

AP85

• Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 08:48:12 pm »

Iím hearing Ben Richardson.

Athog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 08:50:53 pm »

Why are they leaving??

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 08:56:53 pm »

#hammerdown

• Varsity
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 08:58:18 pm »

Why are they leaving??

Donít know about CJ but DayDay May have given away the reason he is leaving in his tweet announcement.

Oliver

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 08:58:26 pm »

Why are they leaving??

Hall is leaving because Jones is leaving.

Jones is leaving because Hall is leaving.

sir-pigs-a-lot

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 09:07:53 pm »

Donít know about CJ but DayDay May have given away the reason he is leaving in his tweet announcement.

?

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 09:08:35 pm »

I can see Jones leaving as he will likely have tough competition for playing time next season with all the guards arriving.  I don't understand Hall leaving as he would have been a key component and has a big upside. 

klp1

• Varsity
  • !!! beer me !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 09:08:46 pm »

Ben Richardson of Loyola-chi has no eligibility left

pigroots

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 09:25:08 pm »

Losing Hall is a serious blow to the team next year. Losing CJ Ö..well we have only heard he is a good shooter because it never translated to the floor. The problem with this is both of these guys should have expected a major jump in playing time next year and left anyway. It either speaks to the program or to the players when a situation like this arises. I'm not close enough to know which

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 09:25:15 pm »

Hall is leaving because Jones is leaving.

Jones is leaving because Hall is leaving.

Einhorn & Finkel ... Finkel & Einhorn

latrops

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 09:30:07 pm »

I can see Jones leaving as he will likely have tough competition for playing time next season with all the guards arriving.  I don't understand Hall leaving as he would have been a key component and has a big upside.

Yeah, it probably is best for Jones and the program to part on good terms as he is likely behind younger players for the rest of his career here.

The situation with Hall is puzzling, however.  He figured to start and potentially be one of our top 2 scorers.  Not the typical transfer considering he was a significant contributor as a freshman and appeared to have a big role moving forward.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 09:31:42 pm »

Iím hearing Ben Richardson.

Hearing wrong unfortunately

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 09:32:29 pm »

Einhorn & Finkel ... Finkel & Einhorn

Give us your odds on Khalil ever playing. Please

BannerMountainMan

• WPS
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 09:35:34 pm »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE START SPELLING DARIOUSíS NAME RIGHT ITíS MAKING ME CRINGE

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 09:37:24 pm »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE START SPELLING DARIOUSíS NAME RIGHT ITíS MAKING ME CRINGE
H-A-L-L  Not sure about his first name.

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 09:39:57 pm »

Why are they leaving??
Look in the trash

golfinpig

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 09:54:54 pm »

Why are they leaving??
They want to play for a better coach. Very simple.

drester77

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 10:07:11 pm »

He did if you read between the lines... It's rare a player would leave so they can better themselves off the court... So there was some issues going on... I'm rooting for the kid, because he is Arkansas born and raised.... Was at a track meet at Mills today and the coaches and staff there, knew this was coming 3 weeks ago... Their words not mine...

hogwood

• Hogvillian
  • Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 10:09:22 pm »

Read the quote from Hall in my sig line... This kid was Arkansas through and through. And he seemed excited about next year in a recent interview. The only positive way to swing this is that maybe Jordan Phillips is going to be really good and Khalil Garland will be active (thus relinquishing Jones). But that's not it all. I think a kid is making a poor decision and I also think that Mike has lost his grip. I wouldn't be surprised if Gafford ends up leaving now. With the unenthusiastic performance vs Butler and now this... Not looking good in the locker room from out here.

Pork Twain

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Mike Anderson aka Houston Nutt 2.0
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 10:13:24 pm »

Read the quote from Hall in my sig line... This kid was Arkansas through and through. And he seemed excited about next year in a recent interview. The only positive way to swing this is that maybe Jordan Phillips is going to be really good and Khalil Garland will be active (thus relinquishing Jones). But that's not it all. I think a kid is making a poor decision and I also think that Mike has lost his grip. I wouldn't be surprised if Gafford ends up leaving now. With the unenthusiastic performance vs Butler and now this... Not looking good in the locker room from out here.
Sometimes it has to hurt really bad for it to get any better.

hoglady

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 10:18:43 pm »

The locker room would have been whatever Gafford, Hall and Jones wanted it to be.
Whatever problems there were last year between players are gone.

hogwood

• Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 10:38:41 pm »

The locker room would have been whatever Gafford, Hall and Jones wanted it to be.
Whatever problems there were last year between players are gone.

I meant more so between the players and coaches. Somehow even though Hall and Jones were slated to start next year they are leaving to sit out on a bench for a year somewhere else? It doesn't make sense. It is obvious from their notes on twitter that these two love the Razorbacks and the team but no longer believe it's the best place for their future. With a starter spot in the fold, why the change of heart? To me it seems they don't trust Mike to develop them. Seems like a red flag to me. I hope we can learn more about this situation and get some clarity.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 10:39:55 pm »

Gafford could careless what Hall does. His decision was not based on Hall.

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 10:45:09 pm »

SSDD. why am I not surprised?

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 10:54:36 pm »

SSDD. why am I not surprised?
7+ Years is a pretty good baseline.

hawgball40

• Senior
  • #wps4life
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 11:29:48 pm »

I meant more so between the players and coaches. Somehow even though Hall and Jones were slated to start next year they are leaving to sit out on a bench for a year somewhere else? It doesn't make sense. It is obvious from their notes on twitter that these two love the Razorbacks and the team but no longer believe it's the best place for their future. With a starter spot in the fold, why the change of heart? To me it seems they don't trust Mike to develop them. Seems like a red flag to me. I hope we can learn more about this situation and get some clarity.
Those notes were either written by or revised and approved by the athletic department and the players posted them in order to have their releases granted. Only the staff, the athletic department, and the players and their families know the real reason, and there is a mutual nda in place to ensure it never comes out.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!

STLhawg

• Senior
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2018, 12:34:42 am »

I wouldn't be surprised if Gafford ends up leaving now.
LOL, you would probably like that wouldn't you? 

With a starter spot in the fold, why the change of heart? To me it seems they don't trust Mike to develop them.
Or perhaps Hall is snowflake millennial who wanted to be the only one in the spotlight next season -- and it was actually Gafford's announcement (that he is returning) that provided the change of heart for Hall.  To me, Hall is letting someone give him some bad advice or he is so enamored with himself that the cannot see the forest for the trees -- or both.

GlassofSwine

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2018, 12:46:23 am »

In MA's system these guys were going to be role players. Hall next year probably would have been in the 20-25 minute range per game. Plus there is a fair amount of talent coming in. Hall could go to a smaller school in another conference and  possibly star just like Jacorey Williams did when he ended up at MTSU or he can fight for playing time here. I'm sure he feels he has better chance to be in the spotlight elsewhere.
  As for Jones, I'm not so sure he would have started. For a guy who was supposed to be a knockdown shooter he had the worst FG% pct on the team among anyone who played significant minutes and he shot the 3 slightly better than Beard. There is a lot of guard talent coming in, Jones may have started the season as a starter but I don't think he would have netted more than 15-20 minutes a game next year or been starting down the stretch of next season.

Nickle-Pig

• Bench Warmer
  • In Hogs We Trust
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 01:48:58 am »

Bye

JayHog

• Varsity
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 02:06:31 am »

I said all season long that Jones had terrIble shot selection. And thatís not just sour grapes, because Iíve been saying that. When we was set and could catch a pass and shoot, great!  But other times he would try to create and could try to do this spin around and shoot, all in one motion while his body was drifting in the air or falling away...ugh, no. Those shots rarely fell. But he thought he was baby Jordan and would keep trying that mess game after game.

Oliver

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 06:39:11 am »

Exactly My thoughts too

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 06:45:32 am »

Wow another thread about transfers......what will they think of next.

hogwood

• Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 07:36:53 am »

LOL, you would probably like that wouldn't you? 
Or perhaps Hall is snowflake millennial who wanted to be the only one in the spotlight next season -- and it was actually Gafford's announcement (that he is returning) that provided the change of heart for Hall.  To me, Hall is letting someone give him some bad advice or he is so enamored with himself that the cannot see the forest for the trees -- or both.

I would hate that. Just as I hate Hall and Jones leaving. It's just that Hall and Jones leaving makes this team much less promising. I would not blame Gafford to now second guess the team's success next year and decide to get out ahead and take that #20 pick or so.

I checked Gafford's twitter and there was a tweet a few days ago that said "either you on my team or hating it don't matter to me". Wonder if there was something there...

jbigs77

• Varsity
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2018, 07:50:23 am »

I don't know why they would leave. I am sure there were some good reasons, that is a big decision to make at this point in their careers.
I do know this didn't help the team for next year, and our bench will most likely be weak again. MA needs to make some changes, or we will be out of gas by the end of a lot of games especially tournament games. 

AP85

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2018, 07:52:09 am »

Hearing wrong unfortunately

Ok fine. Jimmy Whitt and nick Babb are coming back.

J-Five

• Varsity
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 07:55:50 am »

Both of these guys played with the Memphis AAU team coached by Penny...this is not surprising to me.  This is not a Mike Anderson thing (since he gets blamed for EVERYTHING).  I understand Jones leaving, but Hall's decision is just silly to me.  He's going to waste a year sitting out when he would've most likely started next season.  I guess he doesn't realize he will have to compete for playing time when he's eligible at Memphis, when he would've been a starter next season for us.  Really really dumb IMO.  Kids are fickle and this is just another example of that. 

hawgmasta

• Hogvillian
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 08:01:29 am »

This is the new reality in college basketball. Almost every team is having a single or mjltiple transfers a year, just the way it is now.

AP85

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 08:04:10 am »

This is the new reality in college basketball. Almost every team is having a single or mjltiple transfers a year, just the way it is now.

Exactly. Iím not sure why grown men get so bent out of shape about it.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 08:37:01 am »

(since he gets blamed for EVERYTHING). 

That is funny right there.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 08:38:27 am »

I think Hall left because middle aged men on message boards were referring to him as DayDay.

Big Nasty 34

• Hogvillian
  • John 3:16
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2018, 08:43:03 am »

You can never have enough athletic shooters, see Villanova. Now our top 3 pt threat is Isaiah Joe, looks like, who shot less than 40% from behind the line as a senior. Gafford might as well expect to be triple teamed most nights.

The Boar War

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2018, 08:46:14 am »

One things for sure the guys who transfer out always become all conference level players.

swinesation

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2018, 08:51:43 am »

Is it common for a P5 school to have two returning players likely to be starters the next year transfer (assuming the coach isn't leaving)? I'd say it's extremely rare, especially for Top 25 level teams.

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2018, 08:53:04 am »

And you are a mod? Gafford isn't going anywhere bc of Hall or Jones.

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2018, 08:53:36 am »

I think Hall left because middle aged men on message boards were referring to him as DayDay.
You mean like his twitter handle?

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2018, 09:02:29 am »

This is not a Mike Anderson thing (since he gets blamed for EVERYTHING). 
And held responsible for NOTHING.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas