• 9,890,422 Posts
• 398,403 Topics
• 22,824 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tampering?  (Read 5435 times)

ADavisTheGOAT

Tampering?
« on: April 04, 2018, 02:55:53 pm »

If DH goes to Memphis wouldnít that be considered tampering?

PintailKiller

Re: Tampering?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 02:57:05 pm »

Gotta think that Mike will block a transfer to Memphis.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 02:58:01 pm »

Gotta think that Mike will block a transfer to Memphis.

I doubt Mike would stoop to that level but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it comes out that there was tampering.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 03:00:04 pm »

mr nice guy will not block anything.  he will let Memphis know that Arkansas kids are available to him

systemroot

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 03:00:47 pm »

If DH goes to Memphis wouldnít that be considered tampering?

How?

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 03:02:52 pm »

How?

well, some have already accused Hall of taking $$$$$$$$$ to leave, so in case that doesn't stick, gotta assume someone convinced him to leave a place where he was likely going to start, sit out a year, then have to compete for playing time as a rs soph.

RealHog

• Varsity
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 03:13:40 pm »

I know tampering is against NBA rules, but have no idea at college level. I doubt Penny cares about rules though.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 03:18:51 pm »

well, some have already accused Hall of taking $$$$$$$$$ to leave, so in case that doesn't stick, gotta assume someone convinced him to leave a place where he was likely going to start, sit out a year, then have to compete for playing time as a rs soph.
Would it be more PC to call them enticements?

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 03:21:00 pm »

Anderson needs to keep him from Memphis and the SEC...

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 04:02:10 pm »

Mike will block a transfer to Memphis.
So he CAN play defense!

HogFaninMemphis

• Hogvillian
  • "Introibo ad altare Dei" -Psalm 42 (43)
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 04:03:52 pm »

rolyat_2008

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 04:11:09 pm »

Itís common place for recruiting to continue when players are on a college roster. These decisions to transfer and where are made in advance.

Tick Hog

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 05:54:45 pm »

So what exactly happened with Hall if I may ask? I read the first couple of pages of that book up there and gave up. I mean he had a starting position next year. I guess I donít understand

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 06:42:05 pm »

So what exactly happened with Hall if I may ask? I read the first couple of pages of that book up there and gave up. I mean he had a starting position next year. I guess I donít understand
Grades?

sickboy

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 06:53:32 pm »

Probably wonít last, but itís the truth:

Somethingís *******.

Hogimus Prime

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Roll Out
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 06:53:41 pm »

Pure speculation, but Penny's people talked to DH's people tell DH's people what they wanted to hear.  IMO DH will get buried on the Memphis bench.  Hardaway will bring better players.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 07:42:46 pm »

Pure speculation, but Penny's people talked to DH's people tell DH's people what they wanted to hear.  IMO DH will get buried on the Memphis bench.  Hardaway will bring better players.

I'm inclined to believe this train of thought...

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 07:43:42 pm »

HAHAHAHA

ChicoHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 09:10:15 pm »

And he has to sit out a year! 

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 09:17:17 pm »

What's this speculation based on?  Do we even know if he's going to Memphis?

How come every time something negative happens to our program, it's something nefarious and shady going on.  Is it possible Hall just decided he didn't want to play for Anderson?

pigroots

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 09:30:54 pm »

Something is up when a player who would be tagged for a major role on next years team decides to leave. I don't know if it speaks to the player or the program but typically when a player leaves it's because he has no future in the program. This one doesn't make sense

Pork Twain

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 10:09:07 pm »

I do not think that is even a thing in college basketball and why on earth would MA stoop down to Saban levels and block a kid from going where he wants to play.  Petty if it happens

JayHog

• Varsity
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 10:22:23 pm »

Good. If you want to call it petty, then I hope heís petty when it comes to Hall asking to transfer to Memphis.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 10:32:29 pm »

[The working group is closely considering recommendations from the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, which met last month and strongly supported eliminating the tie between financial aid and permission to contact. Currently, Division I college athletes who wish to transfer to another school must first receive permission from their current school to talk with other schools about opportunities for transferring. If the school denies permission, the student-athlete canít receive athletics aid for the first year after transferring.

Both SAAC members and working group members believe financial aid should not be tied to whether a school grants permission to contact. Instead, the group favors a notification model, with coaches meeting with student-athletes at the end of a teamís season to discuss the future. The group also supports the opportunity for students, if they desire, to talk with coaches at other schools about transfer possibilities without the need to seek permission from the current school. 

It's a gray area as far as tampering other than the current school can always block a transfer and block financial aid for 1 year.

tusksincolorado

• Aniston has nothing on me!
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 10:43:19 pm »

I know tampering is against NBA rules, but have no idea at college level. I doubt Penny cares about rules though.

Wonder if he still has a bullet fragment in his foot???

k.c.hawg

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 10:59:16 pm »

Have the upmost respect for CMA but will lose some respect for him if he doesn't block Memphis. Hall says he doesn't know where he is going so it shouldn't be distressing to him if Mike blocks 1 school sitting on our border. Still leaves 350+ D1 schools. If it does distress him he can pay his way while he sits out.

HogCzar1

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 11:06:47 pm »

Have the upmost respect for CMA but will lose some respect for him if he doesn't block Memphis. Hall says he doesn't know where he is going so it shouldn't be distressing to him if Mike blocks 1 school sitting on our border. Still leaves 350+ D1 schools. If it does distress him he can pay his way while he sits out.

It wouldnít surprise me at all if Penny was trying to ďrecruitĒ D. Hall. Especially with behind the scenes handlers. It also wouldnít surprise me if MA did not put any restrictions on where he could go.

Marshfieldhog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 11:07:44 pm »

I would be very disappointed in Mike if he didnít block a Memphis transfer. If he doesnít our new AD should.

ADavisTheGOAT

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 11:14:18 pm »

Mike absolutely needs to block a transfer to Memphis. He canít just let this AAU fraud Penny come and poach our team.

Brass Knob

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2018, 11:26:22 pm »

It would be highly unusual for a coach to block a school that neither in conference nor on the upcoming schedule. Would not be a good look for MA to block Memphis. 

k.c.hawg

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2018, 11:30:39 pm »

Marshall releasing a kid from his NLI to go there is one thing. Penny half raised the kid and Marshall just has the expense of recruiting him. Hall's transferring is coming at a major cost, recruiting and a year in the program as well as departing with a huge senior class. Since he doesn't have any idea where he is going, tell him  now that Memphis is out and he won't have to waste any energy and time on that. Or, he can arrange financing for his year he sits out. Penny might even pay it since he is going to have his own kid on scholarship. And maybe I'm way off base and it is like Duke or Kentucky where he is going and then there will be no problem. My wife and I have transferred around the country with our jobs several times and it's a bit stressful so I will wish DH a smooth transition and all the best at his next stop.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2018, 11:32:56 pm »

It would be highly unusual for a coach to block a school that neither in conference nor on the upcoming schedule. Would not be a good look for MA to block Memphis. 

Don't block anyone in our league or on our schedule, just block Memphis. We have been in far more recruiting battles with Memphis over the years than anyone in the SEC. Memphis is a stones throw across the border and if the high school coach is using his AAU tactics to poach players it would not be a good look if he didn't block it.

Or you could just say, we plan on scheduling them.

Brass Knob

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 11:45:00 pm »

Don't block anyone in our league or on our schedule, just block Memphis. We have been in far more recruiting battles with Memphis over the years than anyone in the SEC. Memphis is a stones throw across the border and if the high school coach is using his AAU tactics to poach players it would not be a good look if he didn't block it.

Or you could just say, we plan on scheduling them.

It is not about recruiting battles. It is about not restricting a player from a school who you are not competing against, i.e. you aren't releasing him to then go and beat you... How can MA just claim we are scheduling Memphis? You really think Memphis won't respond with, "uh, no we arent."

Memphis tried this with Austin Nichols a few years ago from transferring to Virginia and got absolutely drug through the mud before finally agreeing to not block him from UVA. It looks stupid and pretty.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2018, 11:54:09 pm »

It is not about recruiting battles. It is about not restricting a player from a school who you are not competing against, i.e. you aren't releasing him to then go and beat you... How can MA just claim we are scheduling Memphis? You really think Memphis won't respond with, "uh, no we arent."

Memphis tried this with Austin Nichols a few years ago from transferring to Virginia and got absolutely drug through the mud before finally agreeing to not block him from UVA. It looks stupid and pretty.

Currently, Division I college athletes who wish to transfer to another school must first receive permission from their current school to talk with other schools about opportunities for transferring. If the school denies permission, the student-athlete canít receive athletics aid for the first year after transferring.

If CMA believes there was any contact by Hardaway he would be a fool not to block it. If you look bad so be it, I think everyone knows Mike and I think everyone in the profession would get the message and understand if he blocked one school. It wouldn't be like he was crushing the kids opportunities, he will get 40 to 50 offers, probably most more high profile than Memphis.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 12:09:42 am »

If he was he does not know where he is going I agree Mike should just let him know that Memphis is off the list of options where he can go and immediate be on scholarship.

There are plenty of other places to go. Great places, better places (than Memphis).

k.c.hawg

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 12:14:15 am »

If he was he does not know where he is going I agree Mike should just let him know that Memphis is off the list of options where he can go and immediate be on scholarship.

There are plenty of other places to go. Great places, better places (than Memphis).

Could actually be saving his life!!

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 12:15:37 am »

Could actually be saving his life!!

Maybe, but Hall and I both being from LR suggests neither of us should throw stones.

Brass Knob

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2018, 06:26:48 am »

Currently, Division I college athletes who wish to transfer to another school must first receive permission from their current school to talk with other schools about opportunities for transferring. If the school denies permission, the student-athlete canít receive athletics aid for the first year after transferring.

If CMA believes there was any contact by Hardaway he would be a fool not to block it. If you look bad so be it, I think everyone knows Mike and I think everyone in the profession would get the message and understand if he blocked one school. It wouldn't be like he was crushing the kids opportunities, he will get 40 to 50 offers, probably most more high profile than Memphis.

That is just it. You are misunderstanding the term "block". Anderson cannot prevent Hall from transferring to Memphis. By "blocking" him or specifically excluding Memphis from the list of schools he can transfer to then all he is really doing is preventing him from being able to receive athletic related financial aid to Memphis this coming year. However, Hall can still transfer to Memphis and receive academic or governmental financial aid this year and then simply be on basketball scholarship the following year and suiting up in a Memphis uniform.

So, if Arkansas can prove tampering by Memphis then Anderson will not even have to "block" Memphis because the above rule will automatically apply to Memphis and Hall.

Either way, Anderson is not really stopping him going to Memphis. Again, it simply looks petty unless tampering is proven and then MA does not have to actually do anything other than letting the NCAA enforce their rule, a rule that is about to change anyways.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2018, 06:29:07 am »

We need to find out if some influence was on the spring break trip with D. Hall and CJ.

steveaustin69

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 06:47:05 am »

We need to find out if some influence was on the spring break trip with D. Hall and CJ.

Why? I thought you were happy to see them go. More scholarships for Mike to work his magic, right?

and CJ could never ever make the big shot, CJ could make em if they were on a big run like against Arizona but not one time in his two years did he make a big shot in a close game, missed a lot and airballed a few big shots

you think hall and jones can shoot?😂😂😂😂😂😂

CJ is an addition by subtraction, I bet Joe and Sills can already handle the ball better but slightly less worse at shooting, Hall is where it will hurt us, next year we will have 22 PPG back instead of 27 if Hall stayed, thatís a huge difference 🙄

You just bough two really good gifts for somebody and now you have to give them to somebody (Hall) (Jones), now you about to receive some gifts, itís like Christmas morning! Iím excited to see if CMA can pick up a really good player or two!

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 06:50:58 am »

Why? I thought you were happy to see them go. More scholarships for Mike to work his magic, right?
im for doing everything the right way, I love them boys as hogs but if they ainít fully set on their home state then get the crap outta here

steveaustin69

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 06:53:20 am »

im for doing everything the right way, I love them boys as hogs but if they ainít fully set on their home state then get the crap outta here

I, for one, am shocked you did not answer the question.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 06:57:49 am »

I, for one, am shocked you did not answer the question.
if it opens up two scholarships for players who want to be there then yes itís a good thing

steveaustin69

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 06:59:10 am »

if it opens up two scholarships for players who want to be there then yes itís a good thing

Are you dense?

Why?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2018, 07:02:52 am »

As of last night all Penny has is his son and his PG from East high.

Illinihog

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2018, 07:10:15 am »

If you read Hall's twitter post, it seems more he was asked to leave and not transfer.  He says he needs to better himself as a person off the court.  So maybe he isn't leaving on his own. But instead was asked to leave?

J-Five

• Varsity
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2018, 07:59:51 am »

So he CAN play defense!

Coaches don't play defense, last I checked...but nice attempt though.   :)

J-Five

• Varsity
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2018, 08:03:34 am »

I agree with this.  It's not like Hall was the leading scorer on the team OR the best player.  I, personally, don't care where he goes since he's not a Razorback.  That's just me though....

HamIAm

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2018, 08:19:57 am »

Democrat Gazette says they were released with no restrictions.

PorkRinds

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2018, 08:43:27 am »

That is just it. You are misunderstanding the term "block". Anderson cannot prevent Hall from transferring to Memphis. By "blocking" him or specifically excluding Memphis from the list of schools he can transfer to then all he is really doing is preventing him from being able to receive athletic related financial aid to Memphis this coming year. However, Hall can still transfer to Memphis and receive academic or governmental financial aid this year and then simply be on basketball scholarship the following year and suiting up in a Memphis uniform.

So, if Arkansas can prove tampering by Memphis then Anderson will not even have to "block" Memphis because the above rule will automatically apply to Memphis and Hall.

Either way, Anderson is not really stopping him going to Memphis. Again, it simply looks petty unless tampering is proven and then MA does not have to actually do anything other than letting the NCAA enforce their rule, a rule that is about to change anyways.

Donít care what snowflakes think. Block Memphis.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas