• 9,882,700 Posts
• 398,200 Topics
• 22,806 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: AP Story - Which new college football coaches are most likely to succeed?  (Read 4741 times)

Poker_hog

Well that was certainly depressing.  9th best hire with the comment we should be happy with the results that got Kevin sumlin fired.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Life is too short for bad beer.

This staff is going to surprise people.  I don’t know if we’ll ever win a title, although I think it’s possible, but we are going to get back to Petrino level competitiveness.  From there, time and circumstance will tell the tale.

PorkRinds

This staff is going to surprise people.  I don’t know if we’ll ever win a title, although I think it’s possible, but we are going to get back to Petrino level competitiveness.  From there, time and circumstance will tell the tale.

If we get to that level, he gone.

phadedhawg

Probably so. 

247Hog

• Senior
  • Regular Sized Rudy Calling the Hogs

Eventually he will be gone win or lose. I'll take the getting us to 10 wins and leaving over 5 wins a season any day.

Vantage 8 dude

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Well that was certainly depressing.  9th best hire with the comment we should be happy with the results that got Kevin sumlin fired.
Any truth to the rumor that the author, from the world famous Wincester Star, is also has multi-Pulitizer award winner ::) Better yet, I understand he's been taken under Wally Hall's wing to be groomed as the next Senior Sports Editor-and-Chief of the ArDemGaz. 

Vantage 8 dude

http://www.winchesterstar.com/associated_press/national_sports/which-new-fbs-head-coaches-are-most-likely-to-succeed/article_91ab3071-48a6-51a0-8755-1254858e724b.html
Man, you really had to be searching for a story on an obviously "slow news day" to resort to quoting some clown from the Winchester Star. Any truth to the rumor that rag is really owned by the Shinebone Express?

lakecityhog

Really not that far off, Moorhead is too high along with Cristobal. I think Morris has a bit better chance than Sumlin and possibly Fisher so maybe 6th?

Sumlin may have some success, but his personality will not allow for long term success. Although, Zona migth be satisfied with 9 wins per year. Fisher is is a tough spot, for 75 Mil A&M is EXPECTING a National Championship and expecting it sooner than later. But, for 75 Mil does Jimbo really care???

Poker_hog

It won't be because of money.  If he wins he can name his price.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...

You don't think we wouldn't pay to keep him? 

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"

I extremely doubt that. Only 2 jobs I think he would leave Arkansas for and one just signed a guy to a 10 years guaranteed contract

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...

What is funny is looking at the history of Texas A&M they should have been happy with the results from Sumlin.   

PossumFan

• Senior

Man, you really had to be searching for a story on an obviously "slow news day" to resort to quoting some clown from the Winchester Star. Any truth to the rumor that rag is really owned by the Shinebone Express?

Ralph is the national college football writer for The Associated Press, the world's largest news-gathering organization. It just so happened that his story appeared in the Winchester Star, and no doubt many other papers.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem

You don't think we wouldn't pay to keep him?

The problem with that is that Morris isn't some piece of property we can buy. He too has a will and a say in things.

If he wants to move to a school where it's easier to win, no checkbook can stop him.

Or, if he wants to prove himself among the best coaches and move up to the NFL, then no checkbook can stop him either.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.

The problem with that is that Morris isn't some piece of property we can buy. He too has a will and a say in things.

If he wants to move to a school where it's easier to win, no checkbook can stop him.

Or, if he wants to prove himself among the best coaches and move up to the NFL, then no checkbook can stop him either.

And, like he’s preaching to recruits, if he wants to be “the guy” instead of just another guy at a place that’s already done it, he might be the next Frank Broyles.  Let’s just let it play out before prognosticating too much.  If he starts getting blue chip players here, like Clemson did, who’s to say he won’t stay? 

sickboy

I extremely doubt that. Only 2 jobs I think he would leave Arkansas for and one just signed a guy to a 10 years guaranteed contract

Unless someone is extremely, extremely dedicated to Arkansas football, I'd be surprised if any coach at Arkansas didn't have at least five other jobs they'd jump to from Arkansas. Any sane coach should have at least seventeen or so NFL franchises that they'd immediately jump at without question, unless NFL just isn't int he blood. Even if you're not counting NFL jobs, turning down programs like Ohio State, Alabama, Florida State, Oklahoma, Georgia, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas... I'm just spit balling... but turning down those school's is kinda crazy. I'm as big an Arkansas fan as there is, but if I was coaching at Arkansas and those schools came calling... I'd consider it.

rtr

Nope, Arkansas Head Coaches do not leave of their own accord since Jack Mitchell.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"

Unless someone is extremely, extremely dedicated to Arkansas football, I'd be surprised if any coach at Arkansas didn't have at least five other jobs they'd jump to from Arkansas. Any sane coach should have at least seventeen or so NFL franchises that they'd immediately jump at without question, unless NFL just isn't int he blood. Even if you're not counting NFL jobs, turning down programs like Ohio State, Alabama, Florida State, Oklahoma, Georgia, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas... I'm just spit balling... but turning down those school's is kinda crazy. I'm as big an Arkansas fan as there is, but if I was coaching at Arkansas and those schools came calling... I'd consider it.

If that was the case CBP would have left. When rolling we are a destination job. It's the reason CBP left an NFL HC job to come here. The 3 time defending Big 10 champ left to come here.

If he gets it rolling here Texas and Texas A&M would be the only jobs he would leave for.

Maybe Clemson. I'm excluding the NFL

Coaches rarely leave P5 programs for other P5 programs

rogersvillemohog

Man, "Little ole Arkysaw" syndrome has really run rampant in the last 6 or 7 years, hasn't it? Petrino turned town offers from several big schools to remain our coach. CBP said on the SportsCenter interview when he resurfaced months after getting fired that he lost his "dream job." I could see Coach Morris leaving for A&M, but they'd have to pay big to get him and they're pretty financially tied up with Jimbob right now. I also doubt that Morris would leave for Texas, seeing as he's an Aggie at heart. I think I remember seeing a picture of him giving his daughter that goes to A&M a "saw 'em off" t-shirt for Christmas one year. It's hard to leave a place once you have it rolling. We aren't Vanderbilt, or Wake Forest, or Baylor. C'mon guys.

WizardofhOgZ

Ralph is the national college football writer for The Associated Press, the world's largest news-gathering organization. It just so happened that his story appeared in the Winchester Star, and no doubt many other papers.

Actually, the story was posted on the Hawgs Illustrated site today.  I noticed that it was written by Ralph for the Associated Press, so knew I could find it on a non-premium site, which would allow me to share here (instead of posting a link from a premium site).  That just happened to be the first place I found it. 

I really didn't care what site it came from, as it was an AP Story (it probably was carried in 50+ different sports pages), which I SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED in my Subject line to avoid this very type of comment.  But some guys (Vantage being one, apparently) can't be bothered to READ before they attempt some "brilliant" (not) comment.

::)

Redhogs

Man, "Little ole Arkysaw" syndrome has really run rampant in the last 6 or 7 years, hasn't it? Petrino turned town offers from several big schools to remain our coach. CBP said on the SportsCenter interview when he resurfaced months after getting fired that he lost his "dream job." I could see Coach Morris leaving for A&M, but they'd have to pay big to get him and they're pretty financially tied up with Jimbob right now. I also doubt that Morris would leave for Texas, seeing as he's an Aggie at heart. I think I remember seeing a picture of him giving his daughter that goes to A&M a "saw 'em off" t-shirt for Christmas one year. It's hard to leave a place once you have it rolling. We aren't Vanderbilt, or Wake Forest, or Baylor. C'mon guys.
Thank you.

Razorbackers

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Good Takes Found Here

Man, "Little ole Arkysaw" syndrome has really run rampant in the last 6 or 7 years, hasn't it? Petrino turned town offers from several big schools to remain our coach.

Source me on that one.

runninrazorback

• Bench Warmer

I'd take Mullen's run, consistent 8 or 9 wins with a chance for a better season every 3 or 4 years.  What's wrong with that. 

SemperHawg

***Extreme Sarcasm Disclaimer!!!***

Morris gets Arkansas back to being a contender, beats Bama 3 years in a row.

Saban retires after not being able to best Morris' scheme

Bama hires Dabo away from Clemson

Clemson hires Morris away from us.

***Extreme Sarcasm Disclaimer***

rhames

Source me on that one.

He turned down Florida and signed a 2 way buyout of 20MM.

He was down to stay here.

PorkRinds

***Extreme Sarcasm Disclaimer!!!***

Morris gets Arkansas back to being a contender, beats Bama 3 years in a row.

Saban retires after not being able to best Morris' scheme

Bama hires Dabo away from Clemson

Clemson hires Morris away from us.

***Extreme Sarcasm Disclaimer***

Hell, I could see that being the exact scenario. Well, minus us beating bama 3 Times. 

rhames

Arkansas will pay to keep a coach.

The thing is most successful coaches are only going to be at a school for 10 years. Tops.

A lot of it will have to do with what Morris would want. We are getting ahead of ourselves though

Remember when people were worried about losing Bielema to the NFL hahahahahaha

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.

Hell, I could see that being the exact scenario. Well, minus us beating bama 3 Times.

Thought the exact same.

SemperHawg

It would be the most Arkansas thing ever.

holeinthewall

• Senior

If that was the case CBP would have left. When rolling we are a destination job. It's the reason CBP left an NFL HC job to come here. The 3 time defending Big 10 champ left to come here.

You been drinking. Petrino left because he took the job expecting Vick to be his QB who would have fit in great with Petrino offense and instead Vick was arrested for dog fighting.  He bailed knowing he wasn't going to be winning anytime soon.

Belimia left because he couldn't keep coaches because Wisconsin wouldn't pay.

I doubt anyone outside of an Arkansas alum considers Fayetteville a "destination job"

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here

You been drinking. Petrino left because he took the job expecting Vick to be his QB who would have fit in great with Petrino offense and instead Vick was arrested for dog fighting.  He bailed knowing he wasn't going to be winning anytime soon.

Belimia left because he couldn't keep coaches because Wisconsin wouldn't pay.

I doubt anyone outside of an Arkansas alum considers Fayetteville a "destination job"

Arkansas is a great spot for a coach to land that wants to get paid.

You get SEC money. You get to compete in the best conference in football, etc etc.

The thing we're not seeing is a coach staying here long enough and having success at a high enough rate to leave us for one the schools that are higher profile and better destinations than us. The two coaches we've had this decade to hit double digit wins either flirted with other schools (nutt) or were gone for other reasons before they could leverage their success into a promotion (BP).

A good example would be to look at Mullen at MSU. He stayed there for a long time, and MSU was able to fight back other programs who came knocking, but when a definitely better job that Mullen definitely wanted opened up, he took it.

Arkansas can hold back the wolves with our pockets, but to pretend that we can lock a guy in for life vs the real big time programs out there is just silly talk.

rhames

Arkansas is a great spot for a coach to land that wants to get paid.

You get SEC money. You get to compete in the best conference in football, etc etc.

The thing we're not seeing is a coach staying here long enough and having success at a high enough rate to leave us for one the schools that are higher profile and better destinations than us. The two coaches we've had this decade to hit double digit wins either flirted with other schools (nutt) or were gone for other reasons before they could leverage their success into a promotion (BP).

A good example would be to look at Mullen at MSU. He stayed there for a long time, and MSU was able to fight back other programs who came knocking, but when a definitely better job that Mullen definitely wanted opened up, he took it.

Arkansas can hold back the wolves with our pockets, but to pretend that we can lock a guy in for life vs the real big time programs out there is just silly talk.

You can't keep using BP or Nutt as an excuse, they stayed. Coaches are always going to listen to other programs if they come calling. 

BP married Arkansas and then screwed it up. He was down for staying here. Hence the large buyout on his end 

I'm not saying Arkansas is a dream job or on par with Alabama or any school of that pedigree, but most coaches outside of Hatfield (weird situation) are not here because they got fired.

Mullen also had roots in Florida and was familiar with the program. He had been wanting to leave miss state for some time actually. Penn State and Miami chose other coaches.

If a coach has tremendous success here, they won't be leaving because Arkansas didn't pay them.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart

This is the national prception of our program. They are telling us fans we should accept it

systemroot

• Varsity

Locally, we do a pretty good job beating our breasts telling others how Arkansas is a top rated program nationally.

Nationally, they look at us as if we are dunderheads.

Stop being dunderheads.

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here

You can't keep using BP or Nutt as an excuse, they stayed. Coaches are always going to listen to other programs if they come calling. 

BP married Arkansas and then screwed it up. He was down for staying here. Hence the large buyout on his end 

I'm not saying Arkansas is a dream job or on par with Alabama or any school of that pedigree, but most coaches outside of Hatfield (weird situation) are not here because they got fired.

Mullen also had roots in Florida and was familiar with the program. He had been wanting to leave miss state for some time actually. Penn State and Miami chose other coaches.

If a coach has tremendous success here, they won't be leaving because Arkansas didn't pay them.

Literally what I said.

rhames

Literally what I said.

Yeah but I think our reasoning on getting there is different haha.

It also wasn't the only thing you said.

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here

Yeah but I think our reasoning on getting there is different haha.

hahaha true. Two roads diverged in the woods. And we both ended up in the same place.

I guess all dirt roads really do lead to Booneville.

rhames

hahaha true. Two roads diverged in the woods. And we both ended up in the same place.

I guess all dirt roads really do lead to Booneville.

Hahaha.

PolishPigPower

• As useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller...

When has that ever happened?  When has a head football coach at Arkansas left of his own accord for a better job?  We gotta stop being scare...

(purposely misspelled)

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.

I'd take Mullen's run, consistent 8 or 9 wins with a chance for a better season every 3 or 4 years.  What's wrong with that.

Mullen averaged 7.6 wins per year at Mississippi State, BUT I get where you're coming from. And yes, sign me up for your scenario.

This was quick research and math, so someone can check me on this. But since the 12-game schedule was adopted, we average 6.8 wins per year in the regular season (not including conference champs or bowl games). Including those postseason games, we average 7.1 wins per year. (Man, Bielema sucked)

If Morris averages 8 wins per year with a couple double-digits every 3 years or so, I wouldn't complain at all. He'd be well above our 12-game average, and almost a full win above our 12-game + postseason average.

A lot wouldn't like that, though.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:43:18 am by RyanMallettsEgo »

Poker_hog

Expectations are always relative.  Sure it's easier to win at Alabama but expectations are higher.  Average 9 wins a year here and you'll eventually get a statue outside the stadium.  Average 9 wins at bama and you won't last 3 years. 

rhames

Locally, we do a pretty good job beating our breasts telling others how Arkansas is a top rated program nationally.

Nationally, they look at us as if we are dunderheads.

Stop being dunderheads.

This probably could be applied to 97% of all fan bases.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

You're right about BP. Since he had a reputation as a job hopper, he signaled his intentions to stay at Arkansas by asking for an 11 Million Dollar buyout in his contract. That's no big deal by today's standards but in late 2007, it was considered an extraordinarily high buyout. For BP, Arkansas was a destination job.

rhames

You're right about BP. Since he had a reputation as a job hopper, he signaled his intentions to stay at Arkansas by asking for an 11 Million Dollar buyout in his contract. That's no big deal by today's standards but in late 2007, it was considered an extraordinarily high buyout.

Your dates and figures are off. The 20MM buyout was signed after the 2010 season.

Also, that actually doesn't happen now. Most coaches have large buyouts to be fired, but close to no buyout If they want to leave. Coaching contracts have become so crazy.

Arkansas wasn't a destination job for Bobby. He thought, as did we, he turned it into one. Then he took a big ole crap on us. That's another story.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

Your dates and figures are off. The 20MM buyout was signed after the 2010 season.

Also, that actually doesn't happen now. Most coaches have large buyouts to be fired, but close to no buyout If they want to leave. Coaching contracts have become so crazy.

Arkansas wasn't a destination job for Bobby. He thought, as did we, he turned it into one. Then he took a big ole crap on us. That's another story.

No, my figures and dates are fine. Upon arriving at Arkansas, BP asked that an 11 Million dollar buyout be added to his contract. He was making a commitment to the U of A. It was a destination job for Bobby.

rhames

No, my figures and dates are fine. Upon arriving at Arkansas, BP asked that an 11 Million dollar buyout be added to his contract. He was making a commitment to the U of A. It was a destination job for Bobby.

Lol. Link??

You're confusing the extension with the initial contract.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/coach-bobby-petrino-agrees-to-new-seven-year-contract-at-arkansas-121110&ved=2ahUKEwjalMeUnKHaAhXK1IMKHfkIDxsQFjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw2NlrmyR1I7iWu5o3KTvV6Z

I've included a screenshot of the original buyout
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:23:12 pm by rhames »

systemroot

• Varsity

Has any coach recently said that Arkansas is a destination job?

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem

And, like he’s preaching to recruits, if he wants to be “the guy” instead of just another guy at a place that’s already done it, he might be the next Frank Broyles.  Let’s just let it play out before prognosticating too much.  If he starts getting blue chip players here, like Clemson did, who’s to say he won’t stay?

I wasn't arguing that he would or would not stay. The argument against that he would automatically leave if he had success here had already been made and the new argument was that he wouldn't leave because we could pay him whatever he wants.

Thus, I was just dispelling the idea that we could essentially force him to stay here.

Whether he would or would not leave after achieving success here all depends on what his aims and ambitions are. We could match salary against most any other school, but honestly at that point, he'd already have enough money that his grandkids would never need to work a day in their life. It's probably be more a question of how much work would it be to install his offense somewhere else compared to having the ball already rolling here. How well is he recruiting here. Does his family ever actually move here, or do they continue to live in texas would also play a role.

BearsBisonsBoars

• Senior
  • Arguing with computers for a living

Maybe. But it's not unheard of for Coaches to affect a turn around and then stay put.

Snyder at KState comes immediately to mind.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas