• 9,889,223 Posts
• 398,370 Topics
• 22,816 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Jay Wright  (Read 4469 times)

Pork Twain

Re: Jay Wright
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2018, 07:41:35 am »

Man WHAT a reach.  The comp is not even close to being anywhere close to being close

steveaustin69

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2018, 07:47:18 am »

Arkansas fans would have been calling for his job just a few years ago.

Has been there 17 years before this success.

5 years before winning title in 2016
116-53
4 NCAA tournaments never out of 2nd Round

CMA last 5 years 114-59
3 NCAA tournaments
1 NIT. People calling for his job

I see many have beaten me to it. You show your intelligence (or lack thereof), your agenda, or likely both by attempting to compare Jay Wright and Mike Anderson.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

steveaustin69

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2018, 07:53:07 am »

Just keep watching

Keep watching what?

Wright's first 7 at Nova: Four straight tourneys, 2 Sweet Sixteens, an Elite Eight, and a Conference Championship

Mike's first 7 at Arkansas: 3 tourneys

It's foolish to think Mike Anderson can replicate Jay Wright's success. Jay Wright is a top 5 coach in the nation, if not the best (currently.) Do you actually think Mike Anderson is a Top 5 coach? Would a top 5 coach need as long as he's had to have sustained and meaningful success?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2018, 08:01:22 am »

Arkansas fans would have been calling for his job just a few years ago.

Has been there 17 years before this success.

5 years before winning title in 2016
116-53
4 NCAA tournaments never out of 2nd Round

CMA last 5 years 114-59
3 NCAA tournaments
1 NIT. People calling for his job

One of the dumbest and skewed posts concerning their differences. Jay ALSO prior to those five years made TWO sweet sixteens, an elite eight AND a final four. He thus earned more years much moreso than Mike.

Also NOW compare the LAST ten years which is a more valid comparison since that is Mikeís tenure.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2018, 08:06:30 am »

There are absolutely posts from the lasting coaching search where posters turned their noses up at the suggestion of hiring Jay Wright.

I donít remember anyone doing that. I also donít remember him as being a candidate.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2018, 08:09:58 am »

This IS the only point to take from it, but people will still bury Anderson in this thread, over and over and over.

Moser had never even earned an NIT BID before this year.

No matter what they think, people cannot tell the future.

Anderson deserves to be buried when compared to Jay. Moser isnít a better coach than Mike but Jay is on every planet in the universe.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2018, 08:16:23 am »

I see many have beaten me to it. You show your intelligence (or lack thereof), your agenda, or likely both by attempting to compare Jay Wright and Mike Anderson.

There is no resemblance between what Nova does on the court, and how Wright coaches to what the Hogs do or Mike coaches.

Nova may switch every screen, but they also front every where when they do, and did you see how they closed out on the 3 pt shooters ( same for Mich, they challenged just about every Nova 3 pt shot ) and neither team did much double teaming. Both teams token pressed a couple times, and they were not playing scramble ball 40+ ft from the basket.

AirWarren

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2018, 08:18:19 am »

Man WHAT a reach.  The comp is not even close to being anywhere close to being close

Look at the players nova gets. They are a blue blood type basketball program.

We are middle of the pack in everything we do.

Big Nasty 34

• John 3:16
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2018, 08:19:15 am »

Wright is the best coach in the game right now. Oh yea can we find us a Spellman and Bridges?!!! Lol

Darious Hall and Daniel Gafford could be our version but Gafford will be gone after next year and Hall may be gone sooner.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2018, 08:19:38 am »

Look at the players nova gets. They are a blue blood type basketball program.

We are middle of the pack in everything we do.

So they are a blue blood type program, yet somehow our coach is better than Wright?

hoglady

« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2018, 08:25:10 am »

I'll correct myself. DiVincenzo is actually listed as a RS Soph. Says he was hurt. Interesting that a guy who gets hurt after playing 74 mins is allowed a RS while Trey played 33 mins and it cost him a year.

He broke his foot his true freshman year after playing in 8 games - I have no idea how he got that redshirt after playing in so many games but he did.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2018, 08:25:11 am »

NIT first 3 years. (Better than Mike)
Sweet 16 year 4.
Elite 8 year 5.
Elite 8 year 7.
Final 4 year 8.
National Champions year 15.
National Champions year 17.

His "bad years" between years 9 and 14, consisted of three 2nd Round appearances and two 1st round exits. Those 6 years are better than Mike's last 6 years here.

Hawg Red

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2018, 08:46:44 am »

I donít remember anyone doing that. I also donít remember him as being a candidate.

Do any of us know who were really candidates beside Mike Anderson? If you were reading the forum at that time, you would know that many, many names were floated. Being an actual candidate was not a perquisite to get mentioned.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2018, 09:07:02 am »

I'm not interested in giving Mike stuff for the stupid program moniker. I agree it's embarrassing, or at least misrepresents whatever we're doing out there.

However, few things excite fans more than tenacious and effective defense. The arena was ready to bust a few times this year only to be calmed by an opponent's basket.

I think the players play hard for Mike, but our defense is no longer efficient. It's akin to failing to rush a quarterback in football. It may have worked when we ran waves of fresh players at opponents - making them shoot from positions on the floor that made them uncomfortable. But those days are gone. The players are too good.

These are the times of the Curry-led Golden State Warriors. Seems everyone can shoot the moment they pass the half court line. I just watched everyone on Villanova dismantle a physically large and gifted Michigan team. They made it look easy... Creating shots and a thirst for defense and rebounding the basketball everywhere on the floor.

As Razorback fans know, everybody playing basketball at this level can play and shoot well. We must adjust defensively to prevent open 3s and crash the boards - less fouling, less chasing and no more second shots.

We can do this. We have to do this.

Good post..  Recruit toughness at al! 5 spots and coach them up.

azhog10

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2018, 09:08:24 am »

There are absolutely posts from the lasting coaching search where posters turned their noses up at the suggestion of hiring Jay Wright.
Many here would bash Wright for his lack of sets and scripted offense. They have at most 5 sets that they run, if they run them at all. Their offense is closer to a read and react similar to Mike's than anything else. Jay does a phenomenal job coaching defense and his teams as whole can shoot. You will rarely see him play someone that can't shoot the ball with confidence. That's what makes his teams so dangerous. Any guy can go off and has the confidence to do so. 

hawgfan4life

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2018, 09:09:48 am »

No doubt Jay Wright is a better coach than MA right now in his situation.  Had MA stayed at MO, he likely would have had far more success than he has had at AR.  He won more games his first three years at MO in a rebuild situation than Jay Wright did at Nova his first three.  MA won more his only five years at MO than Jay Wright did at Nova.  MA had a team in place that most expected to be a title contender the next season when he came to AR in another rebuild project.  Had he stayed, he might have been a final four team with that squad.  Haters will say he wouldn't but that is speculation.  Just like saying MA has reached his ceiling at AR.  That is speculation.  There are as many examples of coaches that take several years before they have sustained high level success in their programs as there are of those who have quick success.  Maybe AR can luck into a great coach, but maybe they would repeat what happened prior to MA coming and putting the program back on solid footing.  Stop with the 7 year argument.  It is only a stat that fits the argument he can't coach.  If you want stats to prove something, MA won more games in his 5 years at MO than Jay Wright won at Nova.  He won only 2 less than Jay Wright did in his first five years at AR, but MA won 3 more games in his first seven years at AR than JW won at Nova his first 7 years.  That proves MA is a better coach right?  Clearly MA has a ways to go building our program back up, but he walked into a mess at the same time other variables outside of his control have been roadblocks.  Despite those, he still has AR trending better with better recruits committed and lined up for the next few classes.  Better players will likely yield better results which would mean the ceiling isn't met yet.  No way to know except to see what happens.  You people were likely the same ones screaming so loudly for Coach Richardson to be fired after his first few years.

azhog10

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2018, 09:10:51 am »

NIT first 3 years. (Better than Mike)
Sweet 16 year 4.
Elite 8 year 5.
Elite 8 year 7.
Final 4 year 8.
National Champions year 15.
National Champions year 17.

His "bad years" between years 9 and 14, consisted of three 2nd Round appearances and two 1st round exits. Those 6 years are better than Mike's last 6 years here.
3 years at Nova before Jay Wright 1 NCAAT and 2 NIT Tournaments, 3 years at Arkansas before Mike 0 NCAAT and 0 NIT. Not exactly the same situation but you already knew that.

steveaustin69

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2018, 09:16:31 am »

No doubt Jay Wright is a better coach than MA right now in his situation.  Had MA stayed at MO, he likely would have had far more success than he has had at AR.  He won more games his first three years at MO in a rebuild situation than Jay Wright did at Nova his first three.  MA won more his only five years at MO than Jay Wright did at Nova.  MA had a team in place that most expected to be a title contender the next season when he came to AR in another rebuild project.  Had he stayed, he might have been a final four team with that squad.  Haters will say he wouldn't but that is speculation.  Just like saying MA has reached his ceiling at AR.  That is speculation.  There are as many examples of coaches that take several years before they have sustained high level success in their programs as there are of those who have quick success.  Maybe AR can luck into a great coach, but maybe they would repeat what happened prior to MA coming and putting the program back on solid footing.  Stop with the 7 year argument.  It is only a stat that fits the argument he can't coach.  If you want stats to prove something, MA won more games in his 5 years at MO than Jay Wright won at Nova.  He won only 2 less than Jay Wright did in his first five years at AR, but MA won 3 more games in his first seven years at AR than JW won at Nova his first 7 years.  That proves MA is a better coach right?  Clearly MA has a ways to go building our program back up, but he walked into a mess at the same time other variables outside of his control have been roadblocks.  Despite those, he still has AR trending better with better recruits committed and lined up for the next few classes.  Better players will likely yield better results which would mean the ceiling isn't met yet.  No way to know except to see what happens.  You people were likely the same ones screaming so loudly for Coach Richardson to be fired after his first few years.

The lengths some will go to spin things. Did Mike go to four straight tourneys, two sweet sixteens, and an elite eight?

azhog10

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2018, 09:27:02 am »

The lengths some will go to spin things. Did Mike go to four straight tourneys, two sweet sixteens, and an elite eight?
Why compare the two at all? Over the last 8 years there really isn't a single coach that can be compared to Jay Wright. He has built a program over his time and he's a Northeast guy. IT's crazy we have to do this every time someone wins a championship or they go on some kind of run. A lot of factors go into a coaches success and it's rare to see a coach be highly successful at multiple spots. ITs more common to see a coach have success at a mid major type of school and then flame out when he goes somewhere else. Jay has something great and he isn't going to leave that to go somewhere else.

steveaustin69

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2018, 09:29:53 am »

Why compare the two at all? Over the last 8 years there really isn't a single coach that can be compared to Jay Wright. He has built a program over his time and he's a Northeast guy. IT's crazy we have to do this every time someone wins a championship or they go on some kind of run. A lot of factors go into a coaches success and it's rare to see a coach be highly successful at multiple spots. ITs more common to see a coach have success at a mid major type of school and then flame out when he goes somewhere else. Jay has something great and he isn't going to leave that to go somewhere else.

Ask OP. I've insinuated they are not comparable in any way, shape, or form. One is clearly superior.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2018, 09:33:42 am »

3 years at Nova before Jay Wright 1 NCAAT and 2 NIT Tournaments, 3 years at Arkansas before Mike 0 NCAAT and 0 NIT. Not exactly the same situation but you already knew that.

Was it really that much different? He inherited a team in decline:

21-11 NCAA 1st Round
20-13 NIT 2nd Round
18-14 NIT 1st Round

Mike took over a 18-13 team returning it's top 2 scorers (although he could not recruit Rotnei to stay for his senior year). He had three Top-100 recruits already signed when he showed up, including a Top 20 5-star guard.

For his 1st recruiting class, he had a 5-star instate McDonald's All American guard and a 5-star PF right across the boarder in Memphis, and couldn't land either of them.

I'm not really sure Arkansas was in that much worse of a position than Nova was at the time.

Razorpigg

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2018, 09:34:07 am »

Mike will never get close to accomplishing what Jay Wright has. Not even if he retires here.

Please. Do tell us about your crystal ball there fortune teller..

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2018, 09:34:55 am »

Why is Jay Wright successful? Beside being a superior coach to what we have, look at what he recruits well: POINT GUARDS!

steveaustin69

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2018, 09:43:45 am »

21-11 NCAA 1st Round
20-13 NIT 2nd Round
18-14 NIT 1st Round

Mike took over a 18-13 team returning it's top 2 scorers (although he could not recruit Rotnei to stay for his senior year). He had three Top-100 recruits already signed when he showed up, including a Top 20 5-star guard.

For his 1st recruiting class, he had a 5-star instate McDonald's All American guard and a 5-star PF right across the boarder in Memphis, and couldn't land either of them.

I'm not really sure Arkansas was in that much worse of a position than Nova was at the time.

This 100%.

This talking point of inheriting a dumpster fire is so overstated.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2018, 10:02:03 am »

Please. Do tell us about your crystal ball there fortune teller..

Wright has been a HC for 24 seasons. He has 15 ncaat appearances, 2 sweet 16's, a elite 8, a final 4, and TWO TITLES. Also has 7 conf titles ( 2 at Hofstra and 5 at Nova ). So yea, Mike is never going to equal that even in Wright retires today.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2018, 10:09:47 am »

This 100%.

This talking point of inheriting a dumpster fire is so overstated.

He did have extremely bad luck with Powell blowing out his knee 2 games in. I didn't really expect an NCAA bid after that. But to be 7 years in and only have two 2nd Round exits and a 1st round exit? I think everyone would say they expected more than that considering his past at Mizzou and UAB and the instate talent we have had come thru during his time.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2018, 10:13:37 am »

Why is Jay Wright successful? Beside being a superior coach to what we have, look at what he recruits well: POINT GUARDS!

This continues to be MA's Achilles heel in my opinion.  Madden as a point guard?  Beard?  I would venture a guess that at any given point in time, the opponent had at least two players that are quicker than those two were. 

It's hard to understand why we can't have a top talent PG, because it seems like the perfect system to lure them.  That one has always befuddled me.     

razorback1829

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2018, 10:16:16 am »

21-11 NCAA 1st Round
20-13 NIT 2nd Round
18-14 NIT 1st Round

It's laughable to compare the state of that program and Arkansas sh*tstorm. And now that we got to see how each of those players turned out, that should give you clear perspective of how rankings are deceiving. Jay Wright is a Hall Of Fame coach. But Nova was in a much better place when Wright took over. Let's not get that twisted Idiotic Ice.

steveaustin69

« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2018, 10:18:29 am »

It's laughable to compare the state of that program and Arkansas sh*tstorm. And now that we got to see how each of those players turned out, that should give you clear perspective of how rankings are deceiving. Jay Wright is a Hall Of Fame coach. But Nova was in a much better place when Wright took over. Let's not get that twisted Idiotic Ice.

How was it such a dumpster fire? Arkansas lost one scholarship from APR sanctions. I have previously, and Ice just pointed out how there was talent on the team and coming in. There were also elite players in our back yard Mike failed to get. What am I missing? All I ever hear is vague "toxic" environment arguments. Does that take multiple years to purge?

It's laughable to reply to a post saying Mike will never achieve Wright level success with "just keep watching."

Mike will never get close to accomplishing what Jay Wright has. Not even if he retires here.

Just keep watching

Wright has been a HC for 24 seasons. He has 15 ncaat appearances, 2 sweet 16's, a elite 8, a final 4, and TWO TITLES. Also has 7 conf titles ( 2 at Hofstra and 5 at Nova ). So yea, Mike is never going to equal that even in Wright retires today.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2018, 10:20:47 am »

sure was impressive watching Nova rebound the basketball last night.

azhog10

« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2018, 10:21:32 am »

21-11 NCAA 1st Round
20-13 NIT 2nd Round
18-14 NIT 1st Round

You are not really sure is correct. Villanova had made the NCAAT 4 out of 5 years followd by two NIT showings. They made the round of 32 twice, and finished no worse than 6th in the Big East including finishing tied for 1st one season. They were 18-13 but 8-8 in a much tougher conference. I don't expect you to be rational, Mike Irwin and others with insight have been on to talk about how bad the program was when Mike took over.

We all get it, you don't like Mike, you have constantly bagged on his recruiting and coaching. We get it, but to say Arkansas and Villanova were similar programs at the time of Jay Wright taking over and Mike taking over shows you aren't being real. You just want to pop in and throw shade at any chance you get. It's guys like you that end up on the ignore list.

To ignore you go.

TrueBlue

• "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2018, 10:23:27 am »

The only time Mike Anderson will see a Final 4 will be if he buys a ticket...

Not true at all.

He watches it every year on TV.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2018, 10:23:53 am »

How was it such a dumpster fire? Arkansas lost one scholarship from APR sanctions. I have previously, and Ice just pointed out how there was talent on the team and coming in. There were also elite players in our back yard Mike failed to get. What am I missing? All I ever hear is vague "toxic" environment arguments. Does that take multiple years to purge?

It's laughable to reply to a post saying Mike will never achieve Wright level success with "just keep watching."

When the excuses they have allowed themselves to believe deep down get challenged by facts and well thought out arguments, it's understandable that the response is just wild name calling.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2018, 10:25:27 am »

And guard the ball, and guard off the ball, and screen away from the ball, and drive the ball, and pass the ball, and front on defense, and, after the 1st 6 minutes, pretty much shut down a team on a 14 game win streak to win the NC by about 20.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2018, 10:25:59 am »

and share

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2018, 10:26:32 am »

You don't think if the program as a whole was better, we might have a better chance at landing those guys. Bigger programs wouldn't have been able to sneak in the state when MA was cleaning it up. Hell it took 3 seasons to get rid of it all. But hey, what do you know. You're here to bash Mike. You only show up when it is time to do that exact thing whether that's after losses, or somebody brings up a negatory Mike thread. You're a clown my man.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2018, 10:28:20 am »

We seem to be back on good footing with regard to keeping our best in state talent, and seeing the overall team talent increasing.  to me, that's progress.  When we shot well and defended at 100% effort, we were able to compete with anyone, which I also see as encouraging.  Comparing the past to Jay Wright doesn't have anything do with the future moving forward for MA and our program.  That's the good.

The bad is that let's face it...our team relied on two JC transfers for the past two seasons.  Is that sustainable?  Will we get two of the best JC transfers in the nation very often? 

Why do we come out on some nights, and look almost completely disinterested in playing hard on defense?  Then on offense, we stand around and show similar effort?  How does that happen when we are supposed to be 12 deep and capable of "running the legs" off the other team.  That's puzzling. 

I still cling to the hope that we get the right mix of players in with good chemistry, and we do what Nolan was able to do in the early and mid nineties.  I know it's not fair to compare eras, but those teams would have destroyed either of the NC contenders last night.   

azhog10

« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2018, 10:30:37 am »

And guard the ball, and guard off the ball, and screen away from the ball, and drive the ball, and pass the ball, and front on defense, and, after the 1st 6 minutes, pretty much shut down a team on a 14 game win streak to win the NC by about 20.
Damn! How the hell did we win 23 games? Mike deserves coach of the year to have won 23 games with a team that couldn't:  guard the ball, guard off the ball, screen away from the ball (which idk how anyone screens away on the ball), drive the ball, pass the ball, or front on defense.

We must have been playing a bunch of 3rd graders to have won that many games and unable to do all those things you said. I always thought Mike was a good coach but now you have me convinced he's one of the best coaches out there. 23 games.........smh

steveaustin69

« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2018, 10:32:48 am »

You don't think if the program as a whole was better, we might have a better chance at landing those guys. Bigger programs wouldn't have been able to sneak in the state when MA was cleaning it up. Hell it took 3 seasons to get rid of it all. But hey, what do you know. You're here to bash Mike. You only show up when it is time to do that exact thing whether that's after losses, or somebody brings up a negatory Mike thread. You're a clown my man.

Villanova was a program trending down. Arkansas was also a program trending down, albeit worse (but not much worse).

Get rid of what? Always vague; nothing of substance.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2018, 10:33:38 am »

and share
Its a thing of beauty. Not a selfish person on that team.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2018, 10:34:15 am »

It's amazing. We finish top 20 in offensive efficiency but apparently we can't do anything on the court. Just shut up dude. Or woman. Whatever you are. You're only here to bash Mike, who you will never give credit to.

steveaustin69

« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2018, 10:36:37 am »

It's amazing. We finish top 20 in offensive efficiency but apparently we can't do anything on the court. Just shut up dude. Or woman. Whatever you are. You're only here to bash Mike, who you will never give credit to.

What's there to give credit for? Never having a losing season? Whoop-de-doo. Go Mike.

You trash and become incredibly combative with anyone who holds a different view point or presents some stats contrary to your views. Quite telling.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2018, 10:38:48 am »

You are not really sure is correct. Villanova had made the NCAAT 4 out of 5 years followd by two NIT showings. They made the round of 32 twice, and finished no worse than 6th in the Big East including finishing tied for 1st one season. They were 18-13 but 8-8 in a much tougher conference. I don't expect you to be rational, Mike Irwin and others with insight have been on to talk about how bad the program was when Mike took over.

We all get it, you don't like Mike, you have constantly bagged on his recruiting and coaching. We get it, but to say Arkansas and Villanova were similar programs at the time of Jay Wright taking over and Mike taking over shows you aren't being real. You just want to pop in and throw shade at any chance you get. It's guys like you that end up on the ignore list.

To ignore you go.

Ignore? Seriously. I state facts to counter the argument that our program wasn't the "dumpster fire" people say that it was, and I get put on ignore. LOL!

A coach that takes over a program that is the flagship for his state and has the upcoming recruits of (to go with his 3 Top 50 recruits in 2011):

2012: 5 star Archie Goodwin
2013: 5 star Bobby Portis
2014: 4 star Anton Beard
2015: 4 star KeVaughn Allen
2016: 5 Star Malik Monk, 4 Star Eric Curry
2017: 4 Star Daniel Gafford, 4 Star Khalil Garland

Mike has had an instate pipeline to build a Top 25 team. All he had to do what land his instate talent and supplement with guys around the boarders. It's taken him 7 years to finally secure the boarders of our state.

Meanwhile, a coach like Will Wade at LSU comes in his first year and lands a 4 star true POINT GUARD from Connecticut. Then, he follows that up in year 2 with a Top 5 class with 5-star from Florida, a 5-star from New Jersey, the top instate player, and another 4 star from Florida. He will have that team competing in year 2 after truly being a "dumpster fire" years prior.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2018, 10:39:32 am »

Villanova was a program trending down. Arkansas was also a program trending down, albeit worse (but not much worse).

Get rid of what? Always vague; nothing of substance.

Players. He needed to clean out. APR situation made that impossible. Had young kids in there and tried to make the best out of the situation. But he knew what he had. There were kids on the team he stopped recruiting at Mizzou bc they didn't fit what he wanted. Back in the day you could clean house pretty easily. The corrosive problems those kids had made it damn near impossible to win. From the undertalented front line (Sanchez, Waithe, Abron, Michelson, Powell was hurt), to the lack of discipline they had under the previous regime who promised these kids a lot of things they were never going to live up to. There's just so much. And it's not for me to come on here and tell, but there's a reason why every insider you talk to say it was a mess. Because it was.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2018, 10:39:57 am »

What's there to give credit for? Never having a losing season? Whoop-de-doo. Go Mike.

You trash and become incredibly combative with anyone who holds a different view point or presents some stats contrary to your views. Quite telling.

Ditto chump.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2018, 10:40:41 am »

Seems I got a fan in you  ;) Clown.

azhog10

« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2018, 10:43:38 am »

Says the guy who told someone to pipe down. Mike has been very successful, not just at Arkansas but at other places as well. Sure we all would like to see more success. Hell I would love to see and would have hoped for a Sweet 16 at a minimum. But I also know the landscape that Mike is competing in isn't what it used to be either.

Mike needs some help from his staff and it's going to be up to him to go and get it. If he doesn't then he's on a clock and it's running out. Just making the tournament won't be enough. Long said for the time being that was what he expected. Not sure what the new ADs expectations are but maybe we will get a glimpse of what that is in the coming seasons. Hopefully that's being communicated to Mike and it's on Mike to meet those expectations.

All that said, he's done a good job here and will continue to do a good job till he leaves (or is forced to leave). When that day comes I hope we don't end up with a Heath or Pelphrey and we are able to find a coach who can meet all of yours high expectations. But I imagine he will be somewhere around the same level as Mike but possibly his appearance will be different and you will accept him, or he will have no tie to Nolan and then you will be "A" okay with him.

steveaustin69

« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2018, 10:43:51 am »

Players. He needed to clean out. APR situation made that impossible. Had young kids in there and tried to make the best out of the situation. But he knew what he had. There were kids on the team he stopped recruiting at Mizzou bc they didn't fit what he wanted. Back in the day you could clean house pretty easily. The corrosive problems those kids had made it damn near impossible to win. From the undertalented front line (Sanchez, Waithe, Abron, Michelson, Powell was hurt), to the lack of discipline they had under the previous regime who promised these kids a lot of things they were never going to live up to. There's just so much. And it's not for me to come on here and tell, but there's a reason why every insider you talk to say it was a mess. Because it was.

He had TALENTED young kids. Shouldn't a good coach be able to adapt to the talent he has?

I think I'm done here after the below posts. You don't know how to have a discussion, just name calling. I'll leave the name calling for the simple minded.

Ditto chump.

Seems I got a fan in you  ;) Clown.

steveaustin69

« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2018, 10:46:41 am »

Says the guy who told someone to pipe down. Mike has been very successful, not just at Arkansas but at other places as well. Sure we all would like to see more success. Hell I would love to see and would have hoped for a Sweet 16 at a minimum. But I also know the landscape that Mike is competing in isn't what it used to be either.

Mike needs some help from his staff and it's going to be up to him to go and get it. If he doesn't then he's on a clock and it's running out. Just making the tournament won't be enough. Long said for the time being that was what he expected. Not sure what the new ADs expectations are but maybe we will get a glimpse of what that is in the coming seasons. Hopefully that's being communicated to Mike and it's on Mike to meet those expectations.

All that said, he's done a good job here and will continue to do a good job till he leaves (or is forced to leave). When that day comes I hope we don't end up with a Heath or Pelphrey and we are able to find a coach who can meet all of yours high expectations. But I imagine he will be somewhere around the same level as Mike but possibly his appearance will be different and you will accept him, or he will have no tie to Nolan and then you will be "A" okay with him.

Yeah. You lose all credibility with that line.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2018, 10:50:36 am »

Mike Anderson has not done a bad job here, but he has underachieved. I don't think a reasonable person could argue against that honestly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas