• 393,970 Topics
• 22,235 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Jay Wright  (Read 3999 times)

azhog10

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorback Basketball on the rise!
Re: Jay Wright
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2018, 10:53:00 am »

Ignore? Seriously. I state facts to counter the argument that our program wasn't the "dumpster fire" people say that it was, and I get put on ignore. LOL!

A coach that takes over a program that is the flagship for his state and has the upcoming recruits of (to go with his 3 Top 50 recruits in 2011):

2012: 5 star Archie Goodwin
2013: 5 star Bobby Portis
2014: 4 star Anton Beard
2015: 4 star KeVaughn Allen
2016: 5 Star Malik Monk, 4 Star Eric Curry
2017: 4 Star Daniel Gafford, 4 Star Khalil Garland

Mike has had an instate pipeline to build a Top 25 team. All he had to do what land his instate talent and supplement with guys around the boarders. It's taken him 7 years to finally secure the boarders of our state.

Meanwhile, a coach like Will Wade at LSU comes in his first year and lands a 4 star true POINT GUARD from Connecticut. Then, he follows that up in year 2 with a Top 5 class with 5-star from Florida, a 5-star from New Jersey, the top instate player, and another 4 star from Florida. He will have that team competing in year 2 after truly being a "dumpster fire" years prior.
Mike was never a great recruiter and Villanova is out of Philly!!! You don't think he doesn't have a ton of talent to pick and choose from? Get out of here man. Jay didn't lose a scholarship due to APR, he didn't take over a program that had allowed other coaches to put their stamp on their state. Pel allowed Cal to come in and take players. James Anderson went to Okie State, Goodwin was gone by the time Anderson even got here and even said as much. Yes Mike lost on Monk but that's because he wouldn't drum up $100k to pay for his services. If you don't believe that then you truly do have your head in the sand.

azhog10

« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2018, 10:53:37 am »

Yeah. You lose all credibility with that line.
Guess we shall see. Too bad you can't get Pel back.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2018, 10:54:33 am »

There are 14 coaches in the history of men's college basketball who have won 2 or more titles.

14 in all of history. And only 6 have won more than two.

Please continue to compare Anderson to Wright.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2018, 10:58:17 am »

Guess we shall see. Too bad you can't get Pel back.

I wanted Pel gone and loved the Anderson hire. But he has underachieved in his 7 complete seasons here. Do you see him making a Sweet 16 run in the next 3 years? If so, explain why.

hawganatic

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2018, 11:04:05 am »

Mike has been very successful, not just at Arkansas but at other places as well.

Mike needs some help from his staff and it's going to be up to him to go and get it.

Taking two statements from your post.

1)  Mike has been very successful, not just at Arkansas but at other places as well.

What's your definition of "successful?"  Is it taking a well experienced team like we had this year, and getting blown out in the first round?  Is it finishing 4th (6th depending on how you want to interpret it) with that same well experienced team?  How many years in MA's tenure here have we gone into the last 5-10 games of the season and had a legitimate shot at winning the conference?  Do you really think that on the first day of practice when MA wrote the team goals up on the board, that any of what the team did this year was on there?

2) Mike needs some help from his staff and it's going to be up to him to go and get it.

You say this, but why has he not done this before?  How many times in his 7 years has he actively gone out and tried to upgrade his staff?  Do you see where he is actively looking to get the team up to that next level, past "just making the tournament?"  Or maybe this is part of the issue.  It seems like he is content with his staff (which tells me he's content with just making the tournament) and not looking for that one or two inches of improvement every year.

If I'm wrong on either of these, show me how.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2018, 11:51:14 am »

Apparently, many here are omniscient.

Some of us had planned on reading this thread without opening another window to use Google ya know... "Omniscient"

azhog10

« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2018, 12:23:07 pm »

1)  Mike has been very successful, not just at Arkansas but at other places as well.

What's your definition of "successful?"  Is it taking a well experienced team like we had this year, and getting blown out in the first round?  Is it finishing 4th (6th depending on how you want to interpret it) with that same well experienced team?  How many years in MA's tenure here have we gone into the last 5-10 games of the season and had a legitimate shot at winning the conference?  Do you really think that on the first day of practice when MA wrote the team goals up on the board, that any of what the team did this year was on there?

2) Mike needs some help from his staff and it's going to be up to him to go and get it.

You say this, but why has he not done this before?  How many times in his 7 years has he actively gone out and tried to upgrade his staff?  Do you see where he is actively looking to get the team up to that next level, past "just making the tournament?"  Or maybe this is part of the issue.  It seems like he is content with his staff (which tells me he's content with just making the tournament) and not looking for that one or two inches of improvement every year.

Success is often opinion based so for everyone it's different. Long gave a guide to what success was to him as the Leader of UA athletics. Would love to hear what the new AD says to have a better idea of what the ultimate bar of success is. But for what you laid out I'll say this:

1.) Getting beat in the first round in and of itself is not success or failure. Everyone wanted more but in that type of format anything can happen. Hell the team that won the only NC in 94 had a couple close calls that could have easily went the other way and we would have never had a NC to talk about. Finishing 4th in the SECT was a success IMO when you talk about where we were going into the season. Yes we got Macon and Barford back and most of us hoped for a NCAAT appearance but even guys like Lunardi didn't have us in solidly when those two decided to come back. We teetered back and forth and the Media picked us 6th overall. So I would say our SEC finish was a success, but no a surprise either.

2.)Mike has done a great job in recruiting and I don't think it's a shock that it picked up with moving Scottie to the bench. Did he go out and find someone? No, but most coaches hire people they are familiar with. That's not new to anyone. Hell even Coach K hires ex-players. However, Mike needs to have at least one person who other schools want.

For what hasn't been successful for Mike, to me it starts with our defense. I have always said and will continue to say that Mike needs to bring someone in that can teach proper half court defense. What he does in the full court is fine, but the constant switching isn't something we can do unless you have guys willing to double the post and the rotations out of doubling the post are sound. I would much rather see him commit to the matchup zone. He has shown the most promise here, and I think it's something that they could really hang their hat on if he made that full commitment. If he wants to play a man to man, then he needs to have someone that can really teach helpside rotations.

Recruiting has been a success the last two years and Mike will have to keep that going if he wants to see improved success. Being a coach myself I'm sure that gives me less ambitious goals because I know more goes into doing what he's trying to do. Nevertheless he's been here long enough now that we should start seeing it.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2018, 12:26:53 pm »

Success, for those who support Mike above all, is whatever they can find to justify their continued support. They are much like the OP, they think Mike is the be all end all for the Hogs and will come up with anything to try to justify it. Even to the point of trying to claim Mike is better than Jay Wright.

There would be nothing wrong with saying " I think Mike is a wonderful coach, but he is no Jay Wright " instead, they spend time trying to twist it around to act like Mike is an equal to Wright.

The Nova team I watched this tourney would have hung 100+ on the Hogs if they wanted to and would have given up maybe 65 to them.

azhog10

« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2018, 12:30:14 pm »

I wanted Pel gone and loved the Anderson hire. But he has underachieved in his 7 complete seasons here. Do you see him making a Sweet 16 run in the next 3 years? If so, explain why.
Yes I do. I think Mike is as capable of going on a run as anyone else. why? Loyola is why, Buffalo, and any other team that's went on a run that no one expected. I do think Mike has some really good talent coming in and if Gafford were to stay one more year(possibly if he doesn't) that we could see a sweet 16 in the years to come.

I think with Gafford, Hall, Harris (guys like Pinto love what he brings), Joe, Chaney, and others we could make a run even next year. I think Joe is going to be really really good. But yes, he's bringing a bunch of kids in that have had huge success. I think Chaney and Gafford next year will give us a 1-2 punch in the front court we haven't had in a long time. Add that to a real PG in Harris, a shooter we haven't seen in years in Joe, and guys like Desi and Embry and you have a pretty nice but young backcourt. Next year we could add someone like Franklin to go along with athletes like Hall, Henderson, and Chaney. Lots of talent in arkansas as well. Add a Moody to some of these guys that will be seniors and in two or three years you have an even different dynamic.

Regardless however Mike needs to continue to build on what he has done, and he has to make improvements himself. If he doesn't he will be gone. But yes I think Mike can make the sweet 16, but it's as much as a shot in the dark as those saying he won't. Excited to see what these guys do over seas this summer.

azhog10

« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2018, 12:33:30 pm »

Success, for those who support Mike above all, is whatever they can find to justify their continued support. They are much like the OP, they think Mike is the be all end all for the Hogs and will come up with anything to try to justify it. Even to the point of trying to claim Mike is better than Jay Wright.

There would be nothing wrong with saying " I think Mike is a wonderful coach, but he is no Jay Wright " instead, they spend time trying to twist it around to act like Mike is an equal to Wright.

The Nova team I watched this tourney would have hung 100+ on the Hogs if they wanted to and would have given up maybe 65 to them.
I would like to know what success is for our AD. For Long it was making the tourney and graduating kids. Mike has done that. If the bar has been moved (and there's nothing wrong if the new AD raises the bar, that's his job) then what is it? If success going forward is a Sweet 16 every season, or once every 2 or 3 years, or an elite 8 every season, then Mike has to step up or find a new job. I don't think success will be a sweet 16 every year. Very few coaches can meet that expectation. But I do think if he hasn't gotten that over the next few seasons then it's time to find a new coach. I think Mike has weathered the storm and has brought this program back to some kind of relevance, and we all should appreciate him for that. But whatever is deemed as the next step, Mike has to meet it or he's gone.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2018, 12:34:00 pm »

Yes I do. I think Mike is as capable of going on a run as anyone else. why? Loyola is why, Buffalo, and any other team that's went on a run that no one expected.

So now we are in a spot, in a coach's 8th season, of having to hope for a miracle run like a team from a one bid league?

bvillepig

• Senior
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2018, 12:42:12 pm »

Some notes :
The team we lost to in the first round beat Nova this year.
Congratulations to Nova for playing as a team. Coach Wright did a good job with them.

Mike did a good job with what he had this year which was a group of seniors who had a lot of issues. They showed signs but there were to many me first personalities. I still enjoyed them as individuals and they were a lot of frustrating fun.
We will see what next year brings. i am looking forward to an exciting team if every thing falls in place and they jell.

azhog10

« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2018, 01:02:11 pm »

So now we are in a spot, in a coach's 8th season, of having to hope for a miracle run like a team from a one bid league?
Dude get over it. Any team that isn't Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, or UNC needs a little help going on a run to get to the sweet 16 or elite 8. Hell Arizona has the top pick in the draft, bowed out in the first round. In the last four years they made the Sweet 16 one time with McD's All Americans all over their squad. Getting to the Sweet 16 and further requires going on a run and only a handful of teams do it all that often.

So saying we shouldn't be hoping to go on a run like a team from a one bid league is dumb. BTW Gonzaga is a team from a one bid league.....There are good teams from one bid leagues. No I'm not saying we are like AZ. My point is due to the nature of one and dones the elite teams haven't changed over the last 10 years or so and if you think Arkansas can go out and hire one of those guys away you are crazy.

Will be fun to see how things change if the one and done rule is changed.

hawgfan4life

• Hogvillian
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2018, 01:09:14 pm »

The lengths some will go to spin things. Did Mike go to four straight tourneys, two sweet sixteens, and an elite eight?

How many coaches have done that?  If we could trade JW for MA right now for 2 million more a year, I would say go for it because he seems to be that good of a coach.  To say that JW and MA were in identical situations when coming to their schools and to say their schools are in identical situations is ignorant.  AR was completely irrelevant in basketball in the minds of recruits when MA stepped foot on AR campus to begin cleaning up the mess.  Nova was very relevant when JW came to their school.

Was JW the great coach he is now when he was a 1 seed in 2015 and got beat the 2nd round?  What about in 2017 when he was a 1 seed and got beat the 2nd round?  A 1 seed and didn't even make the sweet 16!  How good was he in 2014 when he was a 2 seed and didn't make the Sweet 16?  How about 2010 when he was a 2 seed and didn't make the Sweet 16?  How great was he when he got beat in the first round in 07,11,and 13.  Better than those, how awesome was he when he didn't even make the NCAA tournament his first 3 years? 

JW has been at Nova over twice as long as MA has been at AR.  He walked into a program with as much or more tradition than AR ever thought about having and not when it was down like AR.  Nova is surrounded by elite talent and is in a much better recruiting area than is AR.  Haters complain about MA only getting to the NIT in a year and they hang a banner for JW for having been in the NIT. 

It is amazing the lengths that some will go to dismiss any possible good and give credit to a coach they have made their mind up is mediocre.  I agree that MA is nowhere near the coach as JW at this moment, but there is no evidence whatsoever to prove that he won't have AR competing on a much higher level and competing for a NC in year 15 if he stays just like it took that long for JW to win his first title.

hawgfan4life

• Hogvillian
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2018, 01:11:10 pm »

You are always so quick to defend officials and criticize fans for being irrational and then you are exactly that all year in every thread when it comes to MA. 

Hawg Red

« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2018, 01:21:46 pm »

How many coaches have done that?  If we could trade JW for MA right now for 2 million more a year, I would say go for it because he seems to be that good of a coach.  To say that JW and MA were in identical situations when coming to their schools and to say their schools are in identical situations is ignorant.  AR was completely irrelevant in basketball in the minds of recruits when MA stepped foot on AR campus to begin cleaning up the mess.  Nova was very relevant when JW came to their school.

I'm going to cut this post off here with this line about Villanova being "very relevant" when Jay Wright returned to be the head coach. How are you quantifying relevance here? Because they had not advanced beyond the second round of the NCAA tournament since an Elite 8 run under Rollie Massimino in the 1988 NCAA tournament. That's 13 seasons with no Sweet 16 at least. That's a 13-season gap for Villanova compared to the 15-season gap for Arkansas when Mike Anderson took over. Arkansas had also gone to a Final 4, an Elite 8, a Sweet 16 won a National Championship, gone back to the title game the next year, and gone to another Sweet 16 during that 13-year gap of NCAA tournament success for Villanova. So....yeah. I'm thinking Villanova wasn't all that relevant back in 2001. Can't exactly recall since I was a senior in high school and had bigger fish to fry, but there was definitely no NCAA tournament success to back that claim up.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2018, 01:25:03 pm »

You are always so quick to defend officials and criticize fans for being irrational and then you are exactly that all year in every thread when it comes to MA. 

Someone posted

Yes I do. I think Mike is as capable of going on a run as anyone else. why? Loyola is why, Buffalo, and any other team that's went on a run that no one expected. I do think Mike has some really good talent coming in and if Gafford were to stay one more year(possibly if he doesn't) that we could see a sweet 16 in the years to come.

And I replied to it. The poster specifically mentioned going on a run like Loyola, Buffalo, or any other team that was not expected to. So, 8 yrs into the coach's tenure the program is not expected to make a run in the ncaat? BTW, making the sweet 16 in not making a run, it is winning 2 games.

What irrational expectation have I ever posted about the basketball program?

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2018, 01:28:58 pm »

It seems like once a team makes the Sweet 16, they become a relevant program nationally. People mention a&m way more than Arkansas because of the two Sweet 16 runs Billy Kennedy has had there.

Would anyone like to actually argue that Mike Anderson has not underachieved at Arkansas? I've mentioned it a few times and have gotten no response. A coach with a Sweet 16 at UAB and an Elite 8 at Mizzou, in 7 years only has two 2nd round exits and a 1st round exit.

steveaustin69

• Senior
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2018, 01:29:55 pm »

Was JW the great coach he is now when he was a 1 seed in 2015 and got beat the 2nd round?  What about in 2017 when he was a 1 seed and got beat the 2nd round?  A 1 seed and didn't even make the sweet 16!  How good was he in 2014 when he was a 2 seed and didn't make the Sweet 16?  How about 2010 when he was a 2 seed and didn't make the Sweet 16?  How great was he when he got beat in the first round in 07,11,and 13.  Better than those, how awesome was he when he didn't even make the NCAA tournament his first 3 years? 

JW has been at Nova over twice as long as MA has been at AR.  He walked into a program with as much or more tradition than AR ever thought about having and not when it was down like AR.  Nova is surrounded by elite talent and is in a much better recruiting area than is AR.  Haters complain about MA only getting to the NIT in a year and they hang a banner for JW for having been in the NIT. 

It is amazing the lengths that some will go to dismiss any possible good and give credit to a coach they have made their mind up is mediocre.  I agree that MA is nowhere near the coach as JW at this moment, but there is no evidence whatsoever to prove that he won't have AR competing on a much higher level and competing for a NC in year 15 if he stays just like it took that long for JW to win his first title.

No evidence? He's been a coach for 16 years and had a poor rebounding team and poor defensive three point team in nearly all of them. He's made two (2) good runs in the NCAA tournament in sixteen (16) years. What is more indicative of future success? The fourteen or the two?

Also, we've been over the Jay Wright. He had consistent and meaningful success in his first seven years. Neither of which Mike has had. It is as you would say ignorant to believe Mike is suddenly going to reach another stratosphere in year 23 when his first 16 have shown pretty well who he is.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2018, 01:41:46 pm »

You believe Mike could win a title at Arkansas when he is 66 years old?

steveaustin69

• Senior
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2018, 01:42:26 pm »

I had to read that three times to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2018, 01:48:55 pm »

I had to read that three times to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me.

Here is how I could see Mike competing for a National Championship. Mike keeps the 2018 class together (including Jalen Harris and Khalil Garland) for 4 years, he adds Tyreek Smith and Justice Hill in 2019, and then adds 5 stars Thompson and Moody in 2020. The 2020-2021 year would be his shot if everything fell in line. But that is a lot to ask for.

#1 STUNNA

• Hogvillian
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2018, 01:49:26 pm »

is their an age limit for winning a title?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2018, 01:55:25 pm »

Hereís the deal. Anyone that wants to compare their respective pasts need to ask themselves which one of them do they think can get Arkansas back to the promised land. If you answer Mike, you are an idiot.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2018, 02:05:12 pm »

It seems like once a team makes the Sweet 16, they become a relevant program nationally. People mention a&m way more than Arkansas because of the two Sweet 16 runs Billy Kennedy has had there.

This is a good point.  Making the Sweet 16, absent losing nearly your whole team, likely gets you ranked in the next preseason.  That's the next step this program needs to move forward with consistent success, IMO.  That or a huge regular season, like both Auburn and Tennessee had.

azhog10

« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2018, 03:13:19 pm »

No evidence? He's been a coach for 16 years and had a poor rebounding team and poor defensive three point team in nearly all of them. He's made two (2) good runs in the NCAA tournament in sixteen (16) years. What is more indicative of future success? The fourteen or the two?

Also, we've been over the Jay Wright. He had consistent and meaningful success in his first seven years. Neither of which Mike has had. It is as you would say ignorant to believe Mike is suddenly going to reach another stratosphere in year 23 when his first 16 have shown pretty well who he is.
How many successful coaches are out there? Believe I saw a graphic that had Mike Anderson in the top 15 in current coaches for NCAAT wins. I guess the top 10 are the only "successful" coaches?

azhog10

« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2018, 03:15:04 pm »

Hereís the deal. Anyone that wants to compare their respective pasts need to ask themselves which one of them do they think can get Arkansas back to the promised land. If you answer Mike, you are an idiot.
Promise land being a National Championship? I don't think Arkansas will see a national title in basketball before it sees one in football no matter who the coach is. You could bring Bill Self here and we wouldn't win a title in the next 15 years.

And I don't see football winning one ever again.......

steveaustin69

• Senior
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2018, 03:20:09 pm »

How many successful coaches are out there? Believe I saw a graphic that had Mike Anderson in the top 15 in current coaches for NCAAT wins. I guess the top 10 are the only "successful" coaches?

If you're insinuating Mike Anderson is a top 15 coach then we'll have to agree to disagree. You're entitled to an opinion however unwarranted, but I'm not going to continue if you believe he is a top 15 coach.

This is also not an accurate statistic. He's not in the top 15 of active coaches in NCAAT wins.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 03:37:41 pm by steveaustin69 »

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2018, 03:20:54 pm »

He had 7 of those NCAA Tournament wins before Arkansas in 9 years. He has 2 NCAA Tournament wins at Arkansas in 7 years.

So are you saying that Mike Anderson has underachieved as the head coach at Arkansas?

upperdeck_hawg

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Fear the Stache!
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2018, 03:33:15 pm »

Wiki says Jay Wright's base salary is 2.3 mill yearly. About the same as Mike's.

hawgball40

• Senior
  • #wps4life
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2018, 03:44:03 pm »

Wiki says Jay Wright's base salary is 2.3 mill yearly. About the same as Mike's.
in theory, they run the same offense and defense. the difference is talent, possibly in teaching ability(hard to tell because of the talent gap), team buy in, and mike stubbornly likes to press and make wholesale substitutions. Wright makes alot of substitutions as well, but its usually only 1 or 2 guys and its in the flow of the game. mike seems to just sub willy nilly with predetermined intervals, with only minor situational variance. also, the thing that made Nova so great this year is that they have divinco(sp?)coming off the bench. the guy can really fill it up and stretch the defense, which was key to causing michigan's defense so much trouble. without the guy,that game is either much closer or one of the starters would have had to carry the team.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2018, 03:52:55 pm »

Promise land being a National Championship? I don't think Arkansas will see a national title in basketball before it sees one in football no matter who the coach is. You could bring Bill Self here and we wouldn't win a title in the next 15 years.

There's absolutely no reason why Arkansas can't win another NC in basketball.  Tell us  what other top programs have that we don't.

Football I might have to agree...

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2018, 04:03:44 pm »

There's absolutely no reason why Arkansas can't win another NC in basketball.  Tell us  what other top programs have that we don't.

Football I might have to agree...

Keep the instate players, recruit Memphis, NE Texas, Tulsa, North Louisana, and Missouri. You can compete nationally doing that.

steveaustin69

• Senior
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2018, 04:07:45 pm »

in theory, they run the same offense and defense. the difference is talent, possibly in teaching ability(hard to tell because of the talent gap), team buy in, and mike stubbornly likes to press and make wholesale substitutions. Wright makes alot of substitutions as well, but its usually only 1 or 2 guys and its in the flow of the game. mike seems to just sub willy nilly with predetermined intervals, with only minor situational variance. also, the thing that made Nova so great this year is that they have divinco(sp?)coming off the bench. the guy can really fill it up and stretch the defense, which was key to causing michigan's defense so much trouble. without the guy,that game is either much closer or one of the starters would have had to carry the team.

Nova Recruiting Rankings '11-'17: 22, 27, 36, 48, 29, 45, 28

Arkansas Recruiting Rankings '11-'17:  8, 46, 19, 43 ,101, 29, 36

Do we frequently offer overrated prospects or does Mike develop players at a less than stellar rate?

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2018, 04:26:05 pm »

Do we frequently offer overrated prospects or does Mike develop players at a less than stellar rate?

Brunson - 5 star
Spellman - 5 star
Bridges - 4 star
DiVincenzo - 4 star
Booth - 4 star

They had two freshman in the 2017 class that were 4 star Top 100 players that barely played. The talent on their roster is superior to ours.

BossHawg_Outlaw

• Band Nerd
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2018, 04:31:12 pm »

With any coach 7 years is enough time to see if he can get it done.  Yes there are a few who take awhile to get it rolling but for every one of those coaches there is a 100 who will never get over the hump. 

steveaustin69

• Senior
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2018, 04:33:24 pm »

Brunson - 5 star
Spellman - 5 star
Bridges - 4 star
DiVincenzo - 4 star
Booth - 4 star

They had two freshman in the 2017 class that were 4 star Top 100 players that barely played. The talent on their roster is superior to ours.

I never said it wasn't. However, I don't feel the gap in recruiting is equal to the difference in success.

Gafford - 4 star
Barford - 4 star
Macon - 4 star
Cook - 4 star
Beard - 4 star

#1 STUNNA

• Hogvillian
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2018, 04:39:46 pm »

I never said it wasn't. 3 of the 5 (and both 5*s) listed enrolled after the first Wright title. Of course you're going to see an uptick in recruiting. However, I don't feel the gap in recruiting is equal to the difference in success.

Gafford - 4 star
Barford - 4 star
Macon - 4 star
Cook - 4 star
Beard - 4 star

Beard and Cook for sure didnt/ havent lived up to their stars.

azhog10

« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2018, 05:13:33 pm »

If you're insinuating Mike Anderson is a top 15 coach then we'll have to agree to disagree. You're entitled to an opinion however unwarranted, but I'm not going to continue if you believe he is a top 15 coach.

This is also not an accurate statistic. He's not in the top 15 of active coaches in NCAAT wins.
I don't think he is a top 15 coach. I do think he is somewhere in the top 30 however. I forget what was posted a while back. Would have to go back and find it but even I was surprised Mike was as high as he was.

azhog10

« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2018, 05:16:08 pm »

Brunson - 5 star
Spellman - 5 star
Bridges - 4 star
DiVincenzo - 4 star
Booth - 4 star

Jay is in a good area to recruit. The Northeast is littered with top talent and Jay has done a good job of not having large recruiting classes and being able to hone in on just a few kids each year. Their success isn't by chance.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2018, 05:24:58 pm »

Jay is in a good area to recruit. The Northeast is littered with top talent and Jay has done a good job of not having large recruiting classes and being able to hone in on just a few kids each year. Their success isn't by chance.

Exactly what I've told some buddies today. The best way to get to NWA is XNA, which if you have flown in and out of there isn't the most cost efficient, or the closest thing. All the pasture and farm animals make it interesting scenery to say the best. Fly into Philly. You're already in the city. You're close to NY, DC, and basically anything in the NE which cranks out a lot of talent every year.

azhog10

« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2018, 05:32:26 pm »

I never said it wasn't. However, I don't feel the gap in recruiting is equal to the difference in success.

Gafford - 4 star
Barford - 4 star
Macon - 4 star
Cook - 4 star
Beard - 4 star
You say I am not being rational but you really want to say the gap in recruiting is equal? Nova has 3 3stars on their roster with the lowest being rated an 87. Arkansas has 6 3 stars and the lowest rated is an 83. The highest rated 3 star was an 89 in Garland who obviously hasn't been able to even dress up. Nova had a 90 3star which is right on the verge of being a 4 star. Nova also has 2 5 stars while Arkansas has 0. Hall, whom everyone is up in arms over was a 3 star. Arkansas next recruiting class is much better adding 2 4 stars, 3 if you count Chaney who is right on the cusp and then a couple three stars that are all ranked 88 or higher. Every player coming in is ranked ahead of Gabe, Bailey, CJ, Hall, Trey, and equal to or better than Garland.

So we aren't close to being where Villanova is, but we are getting closer after this class gets here. So we were worlds away from being at a level of Nova, but Mike has done a great job recently of raising the bar with the talent he is bringing in.

GA reddiehog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2018, 06:00:34 pm »

The only time Mike Anderson will see a Final 4 will be if he buys a ticket...
I like your way of thinking!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2018, 06:26:58 pm »

Jay doesn't lose key recruits after one season to transfer. His classes are small because he knows how to manage a roster. Mike Anderson is terrible at roster management.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2018, 06:45:18 pm »

Get the right coach and it can happen almost anywhere. It has here before and there is no reason it canít happen again. Got to have the right coach and it appears Mike isnít.

hawgball40

• Senior
  • #wps4life
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2018, 06:53:05 pm »

Some of the classes were overrated. Maybe that class with just portis and moses was the only one that was really dead on with its rating. The others may have some overrated and underrated players.

2017: I think its clear that Gafford was atleast one of the 20 best players in the class and in reality a 5 star. I've heard people say that Garland is an impact player as well, but we still don't really know. Hall and Gabe look to be promising. So maybe that class turns out to be pretty dang good. So maybe in the end this class turns out to be pretty good.

That 2011 class was almost totally a bust, i don't see how you could see it as being anything other than overrated. Young was electric but had poor shot mechanics and was a selfish chucker with zero ability to create for team mates. Madden was a solid contributor. Mickelson gained too much weight and become floor bound as a freshman, then transferred. Abron transferred after one year of limited play. The other guy( think his name was thompson but don't remember) didn't qualify then had an injury riddled, but somewhat successful career at Texas Tech. So that first class in 11, we only had Young and Madden that actually contributed. Young kept us as in some games as a freshman and sophmore then bailed, went undrafted. Madden was a 4 year contributor who was so-so. He was never a big scorer, was an atrocious defender, but was an adequate point guard and good ball handler. At times he took ill advised shots, but for the most part he was a good player in my opinion. So yeah, that's 2 guys that contributed at best out of that class. The other classes have been debated ad nauseum. I mean the class with Bobby and Moses was good, but Moses didn't contribute much until his JR and SR years, and he never developed as we'd hoped.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2018, 07:02:56 pm »

4th year in round of 32, 5th year missed tournament,  in 7 years been in tourney 3 times, 0 conference titles in first 7 years, how many think Mike is getting to final four next year?? - Mike Anderson

Not even his momma.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2018, 07:05:04 pm »

You say I am not being rational but you really want to say the gap in recruiting is equal? Nova has 3 3stars on their roster with the lowest being rated an 87. Arkansas has 6 3 stars and the lowest rated is an 83. The highest rated 3 star was an 89 in Garland who obviously hasn't been able to even dress up. Nova had a 90 3star which is right on the verge of being a 4 star. Nova also has 2 5 stars while Arkansas has 0. Hall, whom everyone is up in arms over was a 3 star. Arkansas next recruiting class is much better adding 2 4 stars, 3 if you count Chaney who is right on the cusp and then a couple three stars that are all ranked 88 or higher. Every player coming in is ranked ahead of Gabe, Bailey, CJ, Hall, Trey, and equal to or better than Garland.

So we aren't close to being where Villanova is, but we are getting closer after this class gets here. So we were worlds away from being at a level of Nova, but Mike has done a great job recently of raising the bar with the talent he is bringing in.

Context and information mean nothing to him. He's gonna find a retort one way or another, even if it doesn't make sense.

hawgball40

• Senior
  • #wps4life
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2018, 07:07:51 pm »

With any coach 7 years is enough time to see if he can get it done.  Yes there are a few who take awhile to get it rolling but for every one of those coaches there is a 100 who will never get over the hump.
How can you objectively say that MA has been a total flop. he's the winningest coach we've had since nolan, and he has done it with thoroughly mediocre, if not terrible recruiting. I know that recruiting is ultimately his responsibility, but i feel like with the talent he's brought in, we've done close to what we should have been able to do, and despite some ** luck he's been able to make lemonade out of lemons. Its not quite as sweet a lemonade as we would all like, but its a step in the right direction. I think he definitely left some wins on the table though with his style of play. But ultimately he hasn't over or underachieved given the talent level, and his recruiting seems to finally be making strides. Blowing it up now and firing the guy without being sure he's peaked would be a mistake, one that could be fatal. I want to see what he does next season, and if next season is good from that, i want to see if he can keep the uptick in winning, making the tourney, and good recruiting going. If he can't keep the recruiting going, then its a definite problem and indicative of needing a change. but if he can keep the recruiting going and start making deep runs, or even losing in close games to good teams in the tourney, then i will see another milestone in rebuilding our program. But we must send a clear message, once the talent level is there, no more 20 point drubbings in the tourney and on the road. And if he can't get the talent level there and keep it there, then he has to go. How great would it be if Anderson keeps recruiting in the top 25 and makes a sweet 16 run and stops missing the tourney? Thats the next step to me. Once we reach that level of success, then its time to move the goal up to getting 5 stars when you can, and making a final 4 or championship run. Then the final step is expecting that every season, with only periodic mediocrity and rare years of missing the tournament. That's the blue print to return to prominence at Arkansas, with nearly every coach who isn't dirty. Its going to be a slow gradual increase over time unless a bunch of 4 and 5 stars start falling into the lap of whoever the coach happens to be. There will be no doing it here any quicker than this otherwise, unless we fire mike and hire a cheater and start playing the game of paying for 4 and 5 stars.

redhogchilipepper

• Varsity
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2018, 07:21:51 pm »

Oh yeah, I remeber early on in Jay Wright's career when you stated how good of a coach he was. You said he would win a Natty at Nova and have multiple final four appearances.

Wait, you didn't, and you don't know where Arkansas basketball will be in 5 years either.

That sir was priceless. Get this man a beer!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas