• 10,015,829 Posts
• 401,468 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arkansas only has 7 true scholarship Offensive Linemen currently on the roster.  (Read 4955 times)

jkstock04

Please quote those posts... You can't find them, but nice troll job
This thread is great for a few chuckles if you have a few minutes.

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=601813.100

twistitup

yup...funny stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

PygmalionEffect2

Bama had at most 10 non-true freshmen, non blue shirt, scholarship OL players last year. And one of their 4* blue chip type OL players was in fact a blue shirt.

So bama had 11 solid offensive linemen last year.  We supposedly have 10 I guess.  When you look at it like that, the sheer numbers aren't as concerning.  Only problem with it is that Saban has a horseshoe up his keister and we cross a black cat's path and trip while walking under a ladder, breaking a mirror.

We've already had a solid player just decide to forgo his senior season in the thinnest position on the team.  Our highest rated recruit hasn't been as advertised so far, our second highest recruit had to quit football due to injury, our third highest rated recruit hasn't seen the field in three years....

sometimes it's just not meant to be. 

We always get an injury in August at our thinnest position, guess where that will probably be?

Maybe Morris will be our lucky rabbit's foot and turn this snake-bitten program around.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Mt. Massive in November

Philon wasn't going to blueshirt at Bama. That's why he ended up here.  On NSD Saban had too many commits and got a flip, Philon was told he could sign but only as a blueshirt.

We offered a full ride immediately and the rest is history.

Bluechippers are not going to pay their own way for even a summer semester.

They asked Philon to grayshirt.

He told them to pound sand and signed with Arkansas.

He was never offered a blueshirt by Alabama.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Whatever, not wasting any more time with the likes of you.  I would put you on ignore if that feature was still available, your opinions have zero value to me.  I am sure feeling is mutual and good thing too.

Because I could comprehend the poster you quoted who you tried to fight with over a point he never made?  Yeeaahhhh.  Worked up a little to much are you?

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian

We are quoting a post from 2015 to debunk our depth in the 2018 season?  I don’t think anyone was accusing Bielema of leaving the oline coffers full over the last 12-24 months.... I figured that was a give instead of going back 3 football seasons

jkstock04

We are quoting a post from 2015 to debunk our depth in the 2018 season?  I don’t think anyone was accusing Bielema of leaving the oline coffers full over the last 12-24 months.... I figured that was a give instead of going back 3 football seasons
I see it as applicable to this conversation...people 3ish years ago questioning the Oline depth for the future (now.) I think we wound up signing 3 O-linemen in that class. Maybe 2 of them are still on the team.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian

I see it as applicable to this conversation...people 3ish years ago questioning the Oline depth for the future (now.) I think we wound up signing 3 O-linemen in that class. Maybe 2 of them are still on the team.

Still not seeing the post twist is referring too (we knows he’s just trolling).  No one was saying Bielema left us with depth and talent at oline. 

It basically was his demise of one position group. 

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis

I knew the past staff had some recruiting bust on the OLine but nothing this bad.

twistitup

Still not seeing the post twist is referring too (we knows he’s just trolling).  No one was saying Bielema left us with depth and talent at oline. 

It basically was his demise of one position group. 

I was actually laughing at the post about Pittman and his ability to bring in good olineman....that didn't last long.

SemperHawg

I believe we landed a defensive lineman during Petrinos last year that was 4 star and going to blue shirt at Bama. Does that count?  Philon
Yeah that's kind of the point as to why blue shirts don't count.  Good players don't blue shirt, in this case even at Bama.  Saban trying to blue shirt Philon is the only reason we got him.

Players good enough to get offered at places like UAB or Ark St take blue shirts to bigger programs, not the other way around.

justmakeit2thebcs

My great fear is that the cupboard is more bare than in 2013.
Wake up the sky is falling.   Learn to evaluate talent before, before crying yourself to sleep every night.

justmakeit2thebcs

I believe you're smart enough to find the roster online.

Naw, blueshirts don't count. They're glorified preferred walkons.  No 5 star or 4 star has ever been a blueshirt.

Edit:  to placate you bub here's the 7.

Froholdt
Jackson
Wallace
Adcock
Clenin
Wagner
Merrick

The walkons/blueshirts

Horn
Clary
Hays
Hall
Gibson
The ghost of Brandon Burlsworth, JJ Watt,  Antonio Brown and Baker Mayfield say otherwise.   The weren't good enough to even be blueshirts. 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000631303

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

They didn't leave 'eventually' - they just left. We all know CBB is not what you describe him as.

He was a *** poser - nuff said, let's move on

Hammerdown Biyatches
Twist... Bielema griped when he was hired at Arkansas that Alvarez wouldn't provide enough money for a good Assistant coaching staff at Wisconsin, and that was one of the reasons he wanted to come to Arkansas, so he could hire a top staff. And the 1st 1, on paper anyway, was a good one. The replacements for them for the most part.... Not so much.

Good coaches in the beginning didn't mind working with him. But he apparently wears on good coaches, and then once they learn more about the kind of leader he is, and word gets around, he has a hard time getting good replacements, or that seemed to be the case at Arkansas anyway, with the exception of Enos who was better than Chaney.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

• All-American Hogvillian
  • 5x National Champions 1909, '64, '65, '77, 2010*

The ghost of Brandon Burlsworth, JJ Watt,  Antonio Brown and Baker Mayfield say otherwise.   The weren't good enough to even be blueshirts. 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000631303

Those 4 would be the definition of an outlier.  In a sample size covering 20 years you found 4 examples. Four. Four in 20 years. Four in 20 years where there's 125+ D1 teams. Four in 20 years where there's 120+ D1 teams and for 3/4 of those 20 years teams had no limits on signees, let's just say the average was 30 signees.

So out of 75,000 players that signed to play football for a D1 school you found 4 success stories and some would argue it's only 3.

a success rate of .00005333 is the hill you want to die on?

Also JJ Watt doesn't count towards your point as he initially was a scholarship player at Central Michigan. So you found 3 maybe 2.

justmakeit2thebcs

Those 4 would be the definition of an outlier.  In a sample size covering 20 years you found 4 examples. Four. Four in 20 years. Four in 20 years where there's 125+ D1 teams. Four in 20 years where there's 120+ D1 teams and for 3/4 of those 20 years teams had no limits on signees, let's just say the average was 30 signees.

So out of 75,000 players that signed to play football for a D1 school you found 4 success stories and some would argue it's only 3.

a success rate of .00005333 is the hill you want to die on?

Also JJ Watt doesn't count towards your point as he initially was a scholarship player at Central Michigan. So you found 3 maybe 2.
Click the link, dumas.  I typed four names. I didn't just "find" four.  You math suggests those are the only four, excuse me, three non D1 players were successful.   Walkons, DII, DIII are a huge part of the NFL.  By the way, blue shirts are scholarship players.  Im sure you knew that, but it doesn't fit your agenda.  How many names you want?  I didn't even mention the greatest RB, WR and OL of all time.
Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Larry Allen.....Wan't something more current ?   292 current NFL players are from non-D1 schools out of 1696.  More than 1 in every 6 players.   I would call every single one of them a success.  Compare that to your .00005333 success rate.  Read more, and don't post at all.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

• 5x National Champions 1909, '64, '65, '77, 2010*

I read it. Almost all of those guys washed out nearly immediately.

justmakeit2thebcs

I read it. Almost all of those guys washed out nearly immediately.
Really? you read it.   Almost all of those guys?  LOL... Here it is again....   http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000631303

Ther are 15 names on the list.   All are currently all are in the league with the exception of Joe Berger who just retired after 13 seasons.  10 of them have been named all pro.   So which ones washed out? 

songofthesword

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.

this forum is the [CENSORED] worst

just screw the facts to prove a point

Clary and Gibpon aren't blueshirts anymore they are on full scholarship.   the OP is extremely  idiotic

lahhog

• Band Nerd

I believe you're smart enough to find the roster online.

Naw, blueshirts don't count. They're glorified preferred walkons.  No 5 star or 4 star has ever been a blueshirt.

Edit:  to placate you bub here's the 7.

Froholdt
Jackson
Wallace
Adcock
Clenin
Wagner
Merrick

The walkons/blueshirts

Horn
Clary
Hays
Hall
Gibson

I think you can contribute the amount of blueshirts to the previous staff using loyalty against recruits from Arkansas. Some of those blueshirts are from Arkansas and received scholarship offers from other schools, but instead chose to go to Arkansas because they love the Razorbacks. For example, Hays received scholarship offers to Indiana to play d-line and Mizzou to play o-line (who have beat the Hogs the past two years), so he obviously has the talent to be a scholarship player. Now we know that he got a scholarship even before the fall of his first year but thats besides the point. The previous staff thought they could get Arkansas players to come for preferred walkon spots because those players wanted to be Hog more than go to another school on scholarship, and they were right. If it were CCMs staff who are "building a wall" around the state I think some of those Arkansas guys would have gotten scholarships, and we wouldnt be discussing this.

azhog10

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorback Basketball on the rise!

The good news for our OLine is they can't take the elevator anymore. So no longer have to call 911 to get them out the elevator.....

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian

I think you can contribute the amount of blueshirts to the previous staff using loyalty against recruits from Arkansas. Some of those blueshirts are from Arkansas and received scholarship offers from other schools, but instead chose to go to Arkansas because they love the Razorbacks. For example, Hays received scholarship offers to Indiana to play d-line and Mizzou to play o-line (who have beat the Hogs the past two years), so he obviously has the talent to be a scholarship player. Now we know that he got a scholarship even before the fall of his first year but thats besides the point. The previous staff thought they could get Arkansas players to come for preferred walkon spots because those players wanted to be Hog more than go to another school on scholarship, and they were right. If it were CCMs staff who are "building a wall" around the state I think some of those Arkansas guys would have gotten scholarships, and we wouldnt be discussing this.

Hays grew up a hog fan and parents are big supporters and season ticket holders.  However, he was close to going elsewhere, Pittman was the reason he accepted the offer from Arkansas

Peter Porker

• Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.

Uncommon

He just needed more time to get his guys. You are all about that....right?

lahhog

• Band Nerd

Hays grew up a hog fan and parents are big supporters and season ticket holders.  However, he was close to going elsewhere, Pittman was the reason he accepted the offer from Arkansas

I'm just saying that with a staff that is keen on keeping in state talent in state might've given offers to some of those guys.

HoginMemphis

Yup just 7 that weren't walkons or blueshirts. Now we'll get 3 more in August but you really can't count on true freshman to give you what you need on the OL in the SEC.

How in the Sam Pittman does a P5 school get to that point to not even have enough scholarship OL to field a 2 deep. Just horrible roster management by Bert the Terrible.

Even though I think we win 8 games next season I'm tempering my expectations until Coach Morris can get some talent on that Oline. Wilkins and Thomas are must gets, as they can be the bookend OT we've needed since Petrino was hired. Keeping an eye on Elliot Harris down in LR too, I think he's probably a bit underrated.
But Bielema was going to make us Lineman U. Turns out, he was a fraud. And who knows what else. At least he is now as rich AF off of U of A and RF teats.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.

this forum is the [CENSORED] worst

just screw the facts to prove a point

Clary and Gibpon aren't blueshirts anymore they are on full scholarship.   the OP is extremely  idiotic

Joe Craddock said after the Spring game that we have 11 scholarship o-linemen. I’ll go with that.

ricepig

Joe Craddock said after the Spring game that we have 11 scholarship o-linemen. I’ll go with that.

Look for a Grad transfer OL.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem

Look for a Grad transfer OL.

Wouldn't that be the job of the coaching staff???  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas