• 10,014,220 Posts
• 401,413 Topics
• 22,976 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Arkansas only has 7 true scholarship Offensive Linemen currently on the roster.  (Read 4953 times)

BoynamedWooPigSooie

• All-American Hogvillian
  • 5x National Champions 1909, '64, '65, '77, 2010*

Yup just 7 that weren't walkons or blueshirts. Now we'll get 3 more in August but you really can't count on true freshman to give you what you need on the OL in the SEC.

How in the Sam Pittman does a P5 school get to that point to not even have enough scholarship OL to field a 2 deep. Just horrible roster management by Bert the Terrible.

Even though I think we win 8 games next season I'm tempering my expectations until Coach Morris can get some talent on that Oline. Wilkins and Thomas are must gets, as they can be the bookend OT we've needed since Petrino was hired. Keeping an eye on Elliot Harris down in LR too, I think he's probably a bit underrated.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!

Yup just 7 that weren't walkons or blueshirts. Now we'll get 3 more in August but you really can't count on true freshman to give you what you need on the OL in the SEC.

How in the Sam Pittman does a P5 school get to that point to not even have enough scholarship OL to field a 2 deep. Just horrible roster management by Bert the Terrible.

Even though I think we win 8 games next season I'm tempering my expectations until Coach Morris can get some talent on that Oline. Wilkins and Thomas are must gets, as they can be the bookend OT we've needed since Petrino was hired. Keeping an eye on Elliot Harris down in LR too, I think he's probably a bit underrated.

You seem pretty sure. Name these 7. And by the way, Blueshirts count, they are just delayed scholarship players.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

twistitup

I thought the previous feller left us loaded...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Who said that? There is talent on this team, but we are short of excellent depth along the OL. And, you already knew that.

PorkSoda

Who said that? There is talent on this team, but we are short of excellent depth along the OL. And, you already knew that.
oline is the one spot that I thought CBB would ensure we were stacked.

that's what I get for thinking I guess.

twistitup

oline is the one spot that I thought CBB would ensure we were stacked.

that's what I get for thinking I guess.

Don't stop thinking my friend

rtr

Blueshirts or not, this indicates a real failure by the previous staff and you know it.

Al Boarland

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net

You think we win 8 games, but are tempering expectations. What are your untempered expectations?

rtr

You think we win 8 games, but are tempering expectations. What are your untempered expectations?
My great fear is that the cupboard is more bare than in 2013.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

You seem pretty sure. Name these 7. And by the way, Blueshirts count, they are just delayed scholarship players.

I believe you're smart enough to find the roster online.

Naw, blueshirts don't count. They're glorified preferred walkons.  No 5 star or 4 star has ever been a blueshirt.

Edit:  to placate you bub here's the 7.

Froholdt
Jackson
Wallace
Adcock
Clenin
Wagner
Merrick

The walkons/blueshirts

Horn
Clary
Hays
Hall
Gibson

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I think the schedule sets up to win 8 this coming season. A lot of that is positive thinking of course.

I'm not expecting to be a 10 win team until we get some Top 20 recruiting classes and build depth and walkon program from a position of strength not desperation.

I have a lot of faith that Coach Morris will get the job done here.

mckinneyhog5

Sounds like the excuse train is gathering steam...

rtr

You have proven to be chief engineer on the excuse train these last five years. 

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem

Not counting blue shirts makes as much since as not counting JUCO's or transfers. They are players that know from the day they set foot on campus that they are guaranteed a scholarship. Hard to have an honest conversation about it when you start with dishonest qualifications to begin with. Not to mention ignoring that freshmen also do in fact count.

Last year, we literally had a three deep of scholarship OL players with 16 (maybe 17 if Hall was on scholarship or not)

We had Jackson Froholdt Ragnow Gibson Wallace
            Ramirez Heinrich Rogers  Clary  Raulerson
            Clenin    Malone  Hays     Adcock Merrick  Wagner

We new Ragnor, Ramirez, and Raulerson were graduating leaving us with 13. With the new coaching staff coming in, Heinrich and Rogers quit leaving us with 11. The new coaching staff felt comfortable moving Malone to the DL which brought us down to 10. With the incoming freshmen, that gives us 13. Which is more than enough for a two deep and almost a three deep with nothing but scholarship players.

Heck, by your standards, Bama just won yet another national championship with at most 10 offensive linemen that weren't freshmen or blue shirts (11 non freshmen, one sophomore that was a blue shirt, and no telling how many OL that were former walkons. In 2016 which was just the first year that came up, Saban awarded 3 schollies to former walk-ons so there's a good chance that given Bama's use of gray and blue shirts and them also awarding scholarships to walk-ons that at least another OL of theirs "doesn't count".

We'd be at 9 by your count this year if two players didn't leave the team after the coaching change which is basically what Bama had (never mind that they had a true freshmen who was starting on their OL along with blueshirt player as well...)

rtr

Not counting blue shirts makes as much since as not counting JUCO's or transfers. They are players that know from the day they set foot on campus that they are guaranteed a scholarship. Hard to have an honest conversation about it when you start with dishonest qualifications to begin with. Not to mention ignoring that freshmen also do in fact count.

Last year, we literally had a three deep of scholarship OL players with 16 (maybe 17 if Hall was on scholarship or not)

We had Jackson Froholdt Ragnow Gibson Wallace
            Ramirez Heinrich Rogers  Clary  Raulerson
            Clenin    Malone  Hays     Adcock Merrick  Wagner

We new Ragnor, Ramirez, and Raulerson were graduating leaving us with 13. With the new coaching staff coming in, Heinrich and Rogers quit leaving us with 11. The new coaching staff felt comfortable moving Malone to the DL which brought us down to 10. With the incoming freshmen, that gives us 13. Which is more than enough for a two deep and almost a three deep with nothing but scholarship players.

Heck, by your standards, Bama just won yet another national championship with at most 10 offensive linemen that weren't freshmen or blue shirts (11 non freshmen, one sophomore that was a blue shirt, and no telling how many OL that were former walkons. In 2016 which was just the first year that came up, Saban awarded 3 schollies to former walk-ons so there's a good chance that given Bama's use of gray and blue shirts and them also awarding scholarships to walk-ons that at least another OL of theirs "doesn't count".

We'd be at 9 by your count this year if two players didn't leave the team after the coaching change which is basically what Bama had (never mind that they had a true freshmen who was starting on their OL along with blueshirt player as well...)
If we have this wealth of talent then why did the OL sux so bad these past 2 years?

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian

If we have this wealth of talent then why did the OL sux so bad these past 2 years?

Never said anything about wealth of talent in that post. Only talked about physical number of players on scholarship.

How did the 2013 defense suck so bad with Smith, Wise, Thomas, and Flowers on the DL, Spaight and Ellis (who made NFL practice squad) at LB, and Tevin Mitchell at DB?

Why was the offense in 2014 so bad with BA, JWill, Collins, Henry, Derby, Sprinkle, Skipper, Kirkland, Tretola, Ragnow, Morgan, Hatcher, (likely Cornelius) all making NFL rosters/practice squads?

Simple answer: It's more than just the jimmy's and the joe's. X's and O's are very important as well.

rtr

Never said anything about wealth of talent in that post. Only talked about physical number of players on scholarship.

How did the 2013 defense suck so bad with Smith, Wise, Thomas, and Flowers on the DL, Spaight and Ellis (who made NFL practice squad) at LB, and Tevin Mitchell at DB?

Why was the offense in 2014 so bad with BA, JWill, Collins, Henry, Derby, Sprinkle, Skipper, Kirkland, Tretola, Ragnow, Morgan, Hatcher, (likely Cornelius) all making NFL rosters/practice squads?

Simple answer: It's more than just the jimmy's and the joe's. X's and O's are very important as well.
Bielema was not a good coach?

AirWarren

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Football impotence of the Midwest

Arkansas: Living on the excuse train since “1964”.

With that said. Coach Morris will have us scoring points. Big questions will be can we play defense and have enough depth to win the 4th quarter.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Blueshirts or not, this indicates a real failure by the previous staff and you know it.

That's what I said in the post that you quoted.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

I am, but you are the one who started the thread.

GoldCoastHog

• Varsity

^^^ This. You can have all the talent in the world, and if you can’t prepare, game plan, and exploit mismatches and weaknesses of the other team every Saturday, you lose. If it were solely about talent, Texas would be in the four team playoff regularly.

It all starts with your head coach; when Arkansas has superior leadership, we have very good, and at times, excellent teams, that can compete well nationally. How was Bama before Saban?

twistitup

Big questions will be can we play defense and have enough depth to win the 4th quarter.

Until we develop quality depth, beating the bama's of the world will be very difficult. It's the talent of their depth that gets people in the second half.

farmhawg

Nope, we were on that the last five years, but you know that.

JaketheSnake

Naw, blueshirts don't count. They're glorified preferred walkons.  No 5 star or 4 star has ever been a blueshirt.

Edit:  to placate you bub here's the 7.

Froholdt
Jackson
Wallace
Adcock
Clenin
Wagner
Merrick

The walkons/blueshirts

Horn
Clary
Hays
Hall
Gibson
I believe we landed a defensive lineman during Petrinos last year that was 4 star and going to blue shirt at Bama. Does that count?  Philon

JIHawg

Thanks OP for pointing out weaknesses in our offensive line.  Nobody's mentioned that on here before.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Philon wasn't going to blueshirt at Bama. That's why he ended up here.  On NSD Saban had too many commits and got a flip, Philon was told he could sign but only as a blueshirt.

We offered a full ride immediately and the rest is history.

Bluechippers are not going to pay their own way for even a summer semester.

ricepig

Until we develop quality depth, beating the bama's of the world will be very difficult. It's the talent of their depth that gets people in the second half.

How many of Bama's OL rotated, who came out except for injury? What team rotates 2 deep in the OL?

hawgfan4life

Easy answer!  OL Coach was horrible and the HC never fixed the problem.

PorkRinds

Gibson gave us decent snaps last year in the SEC, so I’m not sure leaving him out is all that fair.

rtr

Thanks OP for pointing out weaknesses in our offensive line.  Nobody's mentioned that on here before.
Kind of important to fielding a good football team, would you not say?  Of course, they could discuss knitting and crocheting on here.

HogBreath

au contraire, lil' twisty, it was the previous feller who left here loaded.

twistitup

au contraire, lil' twisty, it was the previous feller who left here loaded.

Truth

PygmalionEffect2

Posters making valid points to try to soften the cold reality of the OP's thread by making the observation that any OL list that doesn't include Gibson, a multi-game, two year starter (effective at guard), is without question a list purposely intended to make matters appear worse than they are.

But this comment below intended to argue against the OP's point and make us feel better about the o-line situation, actually had the exact opposite effect on me,

With the incoming freshmen, that gives us 13. Which is more than enough for a two deep

Here we feel the need to include freshmen in our count in order to feel comfortable with the numbers.  Three freshmen, none of whom were highly thought of by the rating services, all with medium 3 star ratings.

When has a true freshman 3 star recruit with a consensus rating of .85 or lower, ever contributed positively to the offensive line in SEC play in their true freshman year?

I don't know that it has ever happened.

That quote should have been in the OP, would have made the thread even more ominous.

wildhogman

Posters making valid points to try to soften the cold reality of the OP's thread by making the observation that any OL list that doesn't include Gibson, a multi-game, two year starter (effective at guard), is without question a list purposely intended to make matters appear worse than they are.

But this comment below intended to argue against the OP's point and make us feel better about the o-line situation, actually had the exact opposite effect on me,

Here we feel the need to include freshmen in our count in order to feel comfortable with the numbers.  Three freshmen, none of whom were highly thought of by the rating services, all with medium 3 star ratings.

When has a true freshman 3 star recruit with a consensus rating of .85 or lower, ever contributed positively to the offensive line in SEC play in their true freshman year?

That quote should have been in the OP, would have made the thread even more ominous.
What team rotates O-linemen 3 deep? 10 is a two deep line and even then teams only change out due to injury.  Where the additional 3 will help is a redshirt year practicing against our 1's and 2's D-line. That will give the D-line semi quality linemen to practice against and help teach the frosh what life in the SEC will be like when they come of age and start playing in a few years. 
Too bad the former staff couldn't, wouldn't, didn't, figure that out or we might have 15 Lineman this fall instead of 13 and a lil more experience.  Oh well no use crying over spilt milk. CCM is doing what needs to be done. Roll up the sleeves and get busy fixing the damn plugging holes.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Not the best situation at all but I think you can get by with your starting 5 and then 3 more that can move around and split time backing up a couple of positions. Not many teams have found themselves in a situation in which they had a two deep where there was just a slight difference in the level and quality of play from #1 to #2 at every position. Usually the top 8 are identified and they get the majority of the snaps with 3 of those rotating among a couple of positions.

Of course the ideal situation is where you have 15-18 scholarship O-Linemen (even if they have transferred in or been blue-shirted/red-shirted at some point) so that you have your established starters, another 5 who have been in the system for 1 to 3 years and played at least to some degree in games and then another 5 to 8 that are being developed. But few teams find themselves in this very desirable position.

I think that after this coming season we will lose 4 players from the O-Line so if we hope to gain any ground we need to not only press for the development of who is already on (or will be) on the roster, but we need to sign 5 quality O-Linemen in the next recruiting cycle. Even if that occurs, it isn't going to solve the problem immediately.

Letsroll1200

Uncommon

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian

Please quote those posts... You can't find them, but nice troll job

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian

You making stuff up?  He mentioned depth, you mentioned talent.  Reading and comprehending is not this difficult... too many agenda's getting in they way

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

You making stuff up?  He mentioned depth, you mentioned talent.  Reading and comprehending is not this difficult... too many agenda's getting in they way

Craddock said that the starting (or first five) five have been maligned in the past and that they are doing a good job, better than fans thought them to be in the past. Center position, though not perfect, seems to be doing well. As Craddock points out, we just need to develop better depth.

Vantage 8 dude

Only in your mind, only in your "brain". ::)

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

^^^ This. You can have all the talent in the world, and if you can’t prepare, game plan, and exploit mismatches and weaknesses of the other team every Saturday, you lose. If it were solely about talent, Texas would be in the four team playoff regularly.

It all starts with your head coach; when Arkansas has superior leadership, we have very good, and at times, excellent teams, that can compete well nationally. How was Bama before Saban?
Well, that's the difference between coaches, isn't it?

We had a Petrino type, who is agressive, tries to look for any advantage over your opponent to exploit, and get success from it. Morris', Lane Kiffen, The new Texas HC, they are all that type, or seem to be.

Bielema kind of belongs in the same group with people like Orgeron, Butch Jones... They aren't novative really. They like to manage people, manage programs, have people around them great at what they do. While the HC just kind of supervises. Motivates, that kind of thing.

My only reservation with Morris is we got him very early in his career as a major college HC. We don't know if he's learned enough, gained enough wisdom to run an SEC program the way someone like Saban or Petrino would.

Morris did make a very wise decision by hiring a DC and DL coach who has a wealth of experience and seasoning and knowledge that can be a huge asset to the razorback program. Hopefully it's enough. But Morris and Craddock and the other offensive assistants need to not be so arrogant as to think they are God's gift to offense and they are all that.

Nutt got to thinking that way. He insisted on being his own OC most of the time to less than stellar results. And his arrogance brought about his downfall.

Arrogance is good if you have the championships to back it up with, or the success as is the case with someone like Saban or Clemson's HC. But Morris doesn't have that as a HC yet. I hope he can get it at Arkansas.

twistitup

Bielema kind of belongs in the same group with people like Orgeron, Butch Jones... They aren't novative really. They like to manage people, manage programs, have people around them great at what they do. While the HC just kind of supervises. Motivates, that kind of thing.

Are you being serious? CBB is a program managing motivator that likes to be surrounded by great coaches?

Did you witness what just happened on his watch?

rtr

When you mentioned agenda, I think you had a freudian slip.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Offensive blocking scheme. And FYI, the O-Line didn't suck, the blocking scheme did. Partly the fault of the OC, partly the fault of the OL Coach but overall, the blame falls at the feet of the former HC. He would admit the same.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian

When you mentioned agenda, I think you had a freudian slip.

Says the guy who questioned a post that had absolutely nothing to do with talent.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian

Bama had at most 10 non-true freshmen, non blue shirt, scholarship OL players last year. And one of their 4* blue chip type OL players was in fact a blue shirt.

Heck, in a 16 game regular season, and NFL team only carries 8, maybe 9 at most OL players while carrying 12+ defensive line players. Why? Nobody really rotates OL players. They have to play cohesively as a unit. And the NFL has a higher injury rate and as previously mentioned, a longer season than college ball.

If Bama had to rely on their 9th best OL player to be starting, they won't be winning a national championship. The only reason to care about having more than 8 OL players on the roster is to build depth for future seasons. Given how rarely OL players rotate, having anything more than a 3 deep is just wasting space. A typical team is going to have between 12-15 scholarship OL players. Taking about 3 each class, redshirting as many as possible.

Our numbers objectively took a hit, losing two upperclassmen unexpectedly in Rogers and Heinrich. The unexpected departures can't be blamed on the old staff and at least according to what the players have said publicly, have nothing to do with the new staff either. Rogers is simply quitting to focus on getting a job and taking care of family with Heinrich apparently quitting for medical reasons. If we had extra scholarship OL already to compensate, then we would have had way too many scholarships devoted to the OL and have been short elsewhere.

rtr

Says the guy who questioned a post that had absolutely nothing to do with talent.
Whatever, not wasting any more time with the likes of you.  I would put you on ignore if that feature was still available, your opinions have zero value to me.  I am sure feeling is mutual and good thing too.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:52:45 pm by rtr »

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

Are you being serious? CBB is a program managing motivator that likes to be surrounded by great coaches?

Did you witness what just happened on his watch?
Yeah. Likes to be. Doesn't mean gets to be. The great ones get to know him and work with him. Then they eventually go away.

Take a look at Bielema first staff at Arkansas... Chaney, Pittman, Shannon... It was a pretty impressive group. Even Ash, the first DC, had an impressive record. But they left.

twistitup

Yeah. Likes to be. Doesn't mean gets to be. The great ones get to know him and work with him. Then they eventually go away.

Take a look at Bielema first staff at Arkansas... Chaney, Pittman, Shannon... It was a pretty impressive group. Even Ash, the first DC, had an impressive record. But they left.

They didn't leave 'eventually' - they just left. We all know CBB is not what you describe him as.

He was a *** poser - nuff said, let's move on

Hammerdown Biyatches

supersaint

How many deep snappers?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas