• 396,121 Topics
• 22,372 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are 2 games you recall that the Refs pissed you off to the brink of rage?  (Read 3665 times)

Muleriderhog

What are 2 games you most remember for really wanting to choke out the referees?
Florida 09, never been that pissed off about a game in my life. I still hate Marc Curles with a passion. Then 2010 Auburn is the second.

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Florida and SMU in Texas stadium

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HogPharmer

2003 Auburn
2009 Florida
2009 LSU
2010 Auburn

Cannot name any in the Bielema era. Our coach screwed us over more than the officials did.

I think the fix was in when we played Coastal Carolina

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.

Florida ‘03 was awful as well.

The late hit call on Bua was total bs.

Soooie21

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net

69 and 77 Texas games..

orvillesghost

I think a lot of the ones talked about are semi legitimate no calls more than anything

But 2009 Florida is on another level, ive never seen anything like that in my life.

Hogs run wild

the last year we were in the SWC...the whole year we played against conference opponents, that and the florida game.

East Clintwood

Tennessee Liberty Bowl.

SMU pass interference

Florida out of bounds

Tejano Jawg

• GO HOGS! BRING THE HEAT!

I was looking for Urban Meyer's 2009 post-game press conference, when he was asked about the bad/Florida-fortunate calls. (More on this at the end.)

I found this one—it starts off with the reporter asking "talk about that last drive." Urban mentions their patience, their play calling…but you can see the edits, missing questions that might have been asked. This clip is from the Gator Country site, so this was most likely the presser AFTER the CBS one.

Urban goes on to say "probably the worst first half we ever played…ever." Urban is doing everything he can to ignore the obvious. What an actor. Then there's the "we found a way to win." Watch him react to hearing about SIX sacks and FOUR turnovers.

What is missing is the prick's answer to the question about the officiating, asking to comment on the bad calls, when he said "OH, WHAT CALLS WERE THOSE?"…acting like he never saw them. THIS is why I wish nothing but failure for Urban Meyer and for the University of Florida. I don't care if it's Florida's debate team, women's softball team, or water polo team. All Urban needed to do was acknowledge the question. He could still brush it off by saying sometimes you get calls (which is true). But his smug dismissal of that possibility was a real piece-of-s move. He couldn't believe that his team was helped greatly by the officiating in the 4TH quarter. Or just didn't want to admit it.

Oh, and Urban mentions how they had 3 early red zone trips with no points. The officials saw the same game…no way they were going to let the Gators have another red zone fizzle in the closing minutes.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins

Florida ‘03 was awful as well.

The late hit call on Bua was total bs.

That was BS. Hogs intercepted the pass and Bua supposedly came in late (after the int) and they awarded Florida the ball back.

nchogg

• Senior

Auburn. It still sticks in my mind when the Auburn defensive player just fell to the ground right before we snapped the ball at the goal line.

Mo_Better_Hogs

• DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!

That video clip of Meyer is hilarious. And I think it's better than if you'd found the version where he sidesteps the questions about the officiating. In this one, it's pure comedy, watching him come up with the all the great plays they made, Tebow's halftime peptalk, their adjustments, and so on. I kept thinking JUST SAY IT!!  :P

Sed76

• Hogvillian

That was BS. Hogs intercepted the pass and Bua supposedly came in late (after the int) and they awarded Florida the ball back.

From what I remember seeing on the big screen was Bua hit the guy when he was out of bounds. Granted it's been 15 years but after seeing the replay don't recall thinking it was a screw job.

kennypig

• Bench Warmer

three for me:
1971  Liberty Bowl vs Tennessee
           Ark ended up with double the yards vs TN, Ferguson got off MVP, Campbell got def MVP,
           but two costly official calls (both by Preston Watts), gave the game to TN.
           Ferguson also threw 3 or 4 'jump passes', but I think the media gives Tebow credit for using it a few years later.
1982  game vs SMU
2009  game vs Florida

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart

That would have been Pig Pen days, so I guess it was some on the Pig Pen who were complaining, after returning home from the game.  But everyone was so down from the loss to Tennessee that it wasn't considered a big deal, despite that it cost us the SEC-W.

I've never watched the game and don't think I saw the FG until watching that video a few years ago.

SMU couldn't win by paying players, so they paid the officials.  Arkansas was ranked 9th and it took a lot of cheating to keep us from beating the #2 team.

I don't think that was intentional, either, but it was bad.  Reed just tripped, got up and then picked up the ball, but he never walked.

Also, Larry Bird had just hit 2 free throws to tie the game, because Steve Schall was called for fouling Bird on a turn-around jumper.  That call was also poor, imo, because Schall got the ball cleanly.  The announcers said he leaned in a little too far, but I don't buy it.

Curles already had a poor reputation with us before the 2009 Florida game and I think he was responsible for another highly controversial call that year in some other SEC game.  And didn't he also call the 2009 LSU game?  I have to say that I think he's been fair in the last few games he called for Arkansas, though.

You and I both.  I wonder if there's any precedent for delaying a suspension like that?

trip no call
schall should have had 30 that game.

carolinahogger

• Senior

From what I remember seeing on the big screen was Bua hit the guy when he was out of bounds. Granted it's been 15 years but after seeing the replay don't recall thinking it was a screw job.

Bua hit him high, late, and out of bounds.  And crybaby fans still want to complain about it.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!

Bua hit him high, late, and out of bounds.  And crybaby fans still want to complain about it.
Yeah, but it was Florida.  Ought to be legal in Arkansas.

texas tush hog

Texas Tech 1966 and Texas 1969 both pathetic.

jvanhorn

Liberty Bowl vs. Tennessee in '71.  Two late calls that were just blatantly wrong.

SMU game already mentioned.

the Liberty Bowl vs Tennessee in 71 was the worst officiating I have ever seen.  They just flat out gave the game to Tennessee.  It was just out and out cheating by the refs.

jvanhorn

69 and 77 Texas games..

I don't recall any bad officiating in the 69 games.  I never heard Broyles or any of the players mention anything either.  Broyles just made a very bad decision to go for the touchdown instead of kicking a field goal that would have sealed the deal. 

Joe Davis (USS Razorback)

• Varsity
  • Attention on deck!

S......M......SCREW!

The rest fall well behind this one for me.

razorbackinva

• Bench Warmer

There are usually at least two games each season that I have rage against the refs for bad calls that turn the tide of the game.  It just seems we always get the short end of the stick on the calls.  Maybe it's my bias speaking though...  :)

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis

09 Gators and 2010 Tigger 2 are the most resent ones that madden me still.

oldhawg

I don't recall any bad officiating in the 69 games.  I never heard Broyles or any of the players mention anything either.  Broyles just made a very bad decision to go for the touchdown instead of kicking a field goal that would have sealed the deal. 

"FbSH: Now, there was an Arkansas touchdown early in the game that was nullified by a penalty, wasn't there?

Looney: The flag on the touchdown was the biggest play in the game because it shouldn't have ever happened. In that era, players were told never to talk to an official. They didn't do that back then, they didn't say a word. After that touchdown, Arkansas was getting ready to kick the extra point and [Texas defensive back Tom] Campbell tells the ref "[Arkansas receiver John Rees] was trying to block me." And the ref thinks about it for a while and then says, "You're right," and he throws the flag.
That's the game. It would have been 14-0 in the second quarter. That, and the score in the third quarter would have put it out of reach for the Longhorns. There ain't no way Texas comes back from down three touchdowns."

Note:  The official was a Texas based referee.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:37:53 pm by oldhawg »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas