Pages:
Actions
  • #43751 by (notOM)Rebel123 on 29 Oct 2017
  • Kids will crawl to play for him.

...and he's not that great of a coach. He's never had to recruit against the elite's of college football... Just sayin'

Heck, Al Davis traded him for 4 draft picks & cash
  • #43752 by Vantage 8 dude on 29 Oct 2017
  • Brohm has all of what, 8 games in a Power 5 conference? The "Genius Coach" Petrino is 5-4 with the best QB he has ever had and should be 4-5 as they were lucky to beat FSU last week. They just got smoked by Wake Forest..

Petrino is better than what we have, but defense optional, X Box, just outscore opponents 45-41 will not win a championship in the SEC. I would think that would be UT's goal.

Saban is probably hoping for the chance to trash Petrino's offense some more. Tennessee should be trying to beat the Gators to Norvell as Gruden is an over rated coach with no college experience other than 2 years as a GA.

Gruden took over a great defense in Tampa that just needed a l ittle bump on offense. Dungy was a way better coach who won a Super Bowl as soon as he got a franchise QB on an Indy team that had no defense.

I would like to see Norvell in red, but our AD and many fans are too deliriously happy with 6-6 or 7-6 seasons..
    So you say many of the FANS are deliriously happy with a 6-6 or 7-8 season ??? You obviously haven't been paying very much attention to various websites and/or call-in shows now have you ??? :o
  • #43753 by hog.goblin on 29 Oct 2017
  • Kids will crawl to play for him.

Itís not that simple.  Is ready to work anywhere near as hard as Smart or Saban?  Does the recruiting drop off after Saban smokes him (assumption on my part).
  • #43754 by King Kong on 29 Oct 2017
  • ...and he's not that great of a coach. He's never had to recruit against the elite's of college football... Just sayin'

Heck, Al Davis traded him for 4 draft picks & cash

He won a SB and had .500 career as a HC in the NFL. His coaching kicks the crap out of Saban, Petrino and Pete Carrol (first round) in the NFL.

Recruit would line up for him. The watch him on Monday night football and his QB draft show.

Itís a similar affect to a TV helping make someone President
  • #43755 by Rudy Baylor on 29 Oct 2017
  • I hope they get Gruden and leave the talented pool of up and comers alone.

Best post on here in the last 10 to 12 months
  • #43756 by SavageOrangeJug on 29 Oct 2017
  • and they are considering CBP.........Wow.....the carousel is beginning to spin...

"As reported by The Read Optionalís Oliver Connolly and Trey Wallace, Tennessee officials have offered the Super Bowl-winning coach ďover $10 million a yearĒ to lead the Volunteers. Connolly and Wallace also report the Vols are eyeing TCUís Gary Patterson, Louisvilleís Bobby Petrino and Purdueís Jeff Brohm."
    As a Vol fan I would rather have Patterson than any of them.
  • #43757 by hog.goblin on 29 Oct 2017
  • He won a SB and had .500 career as a HC in the NFL. His coaching kicks the crap out of Saban, Petrino and Pete Carrol (first round) in the NFL.

College coaching isnít the NFL.  Apples and oranges.
  • #43758 by (notOM)Rebel123 on 29 Oct 2017
  • He won a SB and had .500 career as a HC in the NFL. His coaching kicks the crap out of Saban, Petrino and Pete Carrol (first round) in the NFL.

Is he applying for an NFL job?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/973443-8-most-overrated-head-coaches-in-nfl-history
  • #43759 by King Kong on 29 Oct 2017
  • Is he applying for an NFL job?

You said he couldnít coach.

I listed the coaches he is better than.
  • #43760 by Hoggish1 on 29 Oct 2017
  • Hopefully they get one of them.

Hopefully they get none of them.
  • #43761 by RedRock on 29 Oct 2017
  • It's worth the risk
  • #43762 by King Kong on 29 Oct 2017
  • College coaching isnít the NFL.  Apples and oranges.

Yeah, I guess thatís why Harbaugh struggled going from College to Pros and back to College again.

Gruden would have a Harbaugh type affect
  • #43763 by (notOM)Rebel123 on 29 Oct 2017
  • You said he couldnít coach.

I listed the coaches he is better than.

No I didn't. I never said he couldn't coach. I said he wasn't that great of a coach. Big difference.
  • #43764 by (notOM)Rebel123 on 29 Oct 2017
  • Yeah, I guess thatís why Harbaugh struggled going from College to Pros and back to College again.

Did Harbaugh sit out 10 years?
  • #43765 by King Kong on 29 Oct 2017
  • No I didn't. I never said he couldn't coach. I said he wasn't that great of a coach. Big difference.

If that isnít what you were implying then I apologize.
  • #43766 by King Kong on 29 Oct 2017
  • Did Harbaugh sit out 10 years?

Dick Vermeil did and he Asst he will hire will not have been
  • #43767 by hog.goblin on 29 Oct 2017
  • Yeah, I guess thatís why Harbaugh struggled going from College to Pros and back to College again.

Harbaughís record at Michigan is worse than Hokeyís at this stage in their tenures.
  • #43768 by (notOM)Rebel123 on 29 Oct 2017
  • If that isnít what you were implying then I apologize.
    I was merely stating that he won a Super Bowl with a team Tony Dungy had built. After that, he didn't have nearly as much success. He hasn't coached in nearly a decade. He has never had to recruit to the level he would have to now.
    He's popular because he is charismatic on TV and is very knowledgeable of the game. But that it is a whole different ball game than being a head coach in the SEC. I just don't believe he is the savior that many seem to think.
  • #43769 by King Kong on 29 Oct 2017
  • Harbaughís record at Michigan is worse than Hokeyís at this stage in their tenures.

Not good at Math?

Hoke 11-2 8-5 7-6

Harbaugh 10-3 10-3 currently 6-2
  • #43770 by (notOM)Rebel123 on 29 Oct 2017
  • Dick Vermeil did and he Asst he will hire will not have been

That was in the NFL not SEC. In 1997... for heavens sake.
  • #43771 by Hog N Bama on 29 Oct 2017
  • They can try to get Gary Patterson, but they probably won't get him.

It has been rumored that Patterson has been promised a mineral right to a shale if he stays at TCU.  It is rumored that the mineral right is worth $20 million.

If true, really no other school can compete with a one-time payout of $20 million.
    donít they ever run out of oil in TX? When o when will the well run dry🙁
  • #43772 by King Kong on 29 Oct 2017
  • That was in the NFL not SEC. In 1997... for heavens sake.

And the game is more simple now than ever. Teams are running the read option 20 times a game. Very easy to teach
  • #43773 by BigoBoys on 29 Oct 2017
  • Gruden is not going to coach college football. 
  • #43774 by King Kong on 29 Oct 2017
  • Gruden is not going to coach college football.

I think this is likely. But if he did he would be a rock star
  • #43775 by (notOM)Rebel123 on 29 Oct 2017
  • And he game is more simple now than ever. Teams are running the read option 20 times a game. Very easy to teach

So Dick Vermeil coming out of a 15 year retirement, means Jon Gruden will be a success at Tennessee? I see.
  • #43776 by hog.goblin on 29 Oct 2017
  • Not good at Math?

Hoke 11-2 8-5 7-6

I repeated what was said on the radio a few days ago (ESPNu).  Must have been conference record.  Both started 6 - 2 each year.  Thatís cherry picked.  Probably something Rick Neuheisel said.
  • #43777 by King Kong on 29 Oct 2017
  • So Dick Vermeil coming out of a 15 year retirement, means Jon Gruden will be a success at Tennessee? I see.

It means a coach with a long layoff can still have success. Which your post seemed to imply couldnít happen
  • #43778 by forrest city joe on 29 Oct 2017
  • and they are considering CBP.........Wow.....the carousel is beginning to spin...

"As reported by The Read Optionalís Oliver Connolly and Trey Wallace, Tennessee officials have offered the Super Bowl-winning coach ďover $10 million a yearĒ to lead the Volunteers. Connolly and Wallace also report the Vols are eyeing TCUís Gary Patterson, Louisvilleís Bobby Petrino and Purdueís Jeff Brohm."
    TN is tired of losing. they will spend whatever  it takes to get a Big time coach and win.some schools still care about winning.
  • #43779 by Hog N Bama on 29 Oct 2017
  • TN is taking the shotgun approach. Jon Gruden. 😂
  • #43780 by SavageOrangeJug on 29 Oct 2017
  • I hope they get Gruden and leave the talented pool of up and comers alone.
    We don't want any more "up and comers".

Derek Dooley was an up and comer from the Saban coaching tree.

Butch Jones won the Big East championship, a Liberty Bowl victory, and was named Big East Coach of the Year. He was an up and comer.

• #43781 by hog.goblin on 29 Oct 2017
  • Not good at Math?

Hoke 11-2 8-5 7-6

I repeated what was said on the radio a few days ago (ESPNu).  Must have been conference record.  Both started 6 - 2 each year.  Thatís cherry picked.  Probably something Rick Neuheisel said.

Actually Rick was right when he said it.  They both started out 24 - 7
  • #43782 by Sowlamander on 29 Oct 2017
  • I think Gruden coaches again at some point. But, itíll be in the NFL.
  • #43783 by Ex-Trumpet on 29 Oct 2017
  • I think Gruden coaches again at some point. But, itíll be in the NFL.

NFL seems to be going the way of ESPN.
  • #43784 by hog.goblin on 29 Oct 2017
  • Not good at Math?

Hoke 11-2 8-5 7-6

Both also started 25 - 8, so take your pick, the math is just fine
  • #43785 by lilredheadedlady on 29 Oct 2017
  • If Petrino goes to Tenner or Florida, we are screwed. He will break it off in us.
  • #43786 by greasy_corner on 29 Oct 2017
  • I hope they do hire him.  A school who's star has faded faster than a brett smith post route, and who has to maintain one of the nation's largest recruiting budget just to have the candy-assed kids cheered on by a bunch of inbred orange popsicles.  It's a match made in heaven.
  • #43787 by (notOM)Rebel123 on 29 Oct 2017
  • If Petrino goes to Tenner or Florida, we are screwed. He will break it off in us.

How often do we play Florida & Tennessee?
  • #43788 by (notOM)Rebel123 on 29 Oct 2017
  • It means a coach with a long layoff can still have success. Which your post seemed to imply couldnít happen

Again...I never said that. Stop assuming and stop comparing apples to oranges(NFL vs College)
  • #43789 by gawntrail on 29 Oct 2017
  • We should make a run at Sean Payton.
  • #43790 by go hogues on 29 Oct 2017
    Iíd rather he be there than Ole Miss or A&M
  • #43791 by 247Hog on 29 Oct 2017
  • I hope Tenn is stupid enough to pay a coach $10 mil. That would be stupid for a coach that hasn't coached College.

I'm probably in the minority but i see Tenn and Florida looking for coaches as a good thing. Both are in the East, both are down but could eventually level out the SEC like Georgia is doing to Bama.

Georgia looks like the most close to replicate a Bama ive seen.
  • #43792 by texas tush hog on 29 Oct 2017
  • They can try to get Gary Patterson, but they probably won't get him.

It has been rumored that Patterson has been promised a mineral right to a shale if he stays at TCU.  It is rumored that the mineral right is worth $20 million.

If true, really no other school can compete with a one-time payout of $20 million.

It actually could be more than that. The Gary Patterson Foundation could be worth more than that, with him and his wife's family controlling it. Patterson will die in Fort Worth ala Frank Broyles.
  • #43793 by jcbville on 29 Oct 2017
  • Please Lord let CBP go to Tenn. Please let it come to pass.
  • #43794 by jcbville on 29 Oct 2017

We donít play them enough for it to matter near that much. Also BP hasnt really been breaking it off in anyone in the ACC. He needs to use his genius more.
  • #43795 by Hogaholics Anonymous on 29 Oct 2017
  • I was merely stating that he won a Super Bowl with a team Tony Dungy had built. After that, he didn't have nearly as much success. He hasn't coached in nearly a decade. He has never had to recruit to the level he would have to now.
    He's popular because he is charismatic on TV and is very knowledgeable of the game. But that it is a whole different ball game than being a head coach in the SEC. I just don't believe he is the savior that many seem to think.

To be fair the team he played in the Super Bowl was the team he was at the year before. He had a hand in building that team that won the AFC.  You may be right and he wouldn't be a good college coach, we may never really know, but I don't think you can cheapen his Super Bowl win.
  • #43796 by hogsanity on 30 Oct 2017
  • WTH is the fascination with Gruden? He has not coached a game, anywhere, in 8 seasons, and has not held a job in college in more than 2 decades.
  • #43797 by Wildhog on 30 Oct 2017
  • WTH is the fascination with Gruden? He has not coached a game, anywhere, in 8 seasons, and has not held a job in college in more than 2 decades.

shhhh  let someone else hire him
  • #43798 by hogsanity on 30 Oct 2017
  • TN is tired of losing. they will spend whatever  it takes to get a Big time coach and win.some schools still care about winning.

Umm, Brohm is not a big time coach. Gruden has not coached ANYWHERE in 8 years and has not held a college job in over 20. Patterson is not leaving FW, and BP, yep tearing it up in the ACC, lol.  From the report you quoted, TN is not even looking at the best college coach in the state of TN.
  • #43799 by Inhogswetrust on 30 Oct 2017

Recruit would line up for him. The watch him on Monday night football and his QB draft show.

Itís a similar affect to a TV helping make someone President

The last TV guy we hired as a head coach didn't quite work out so well.
  • #43800 by NaturalStateReb on 30 Oct 2017
  • It's hard to imagine Gruden taking any coaching job when he can make millions for basically just sitting on a stool in front of a camera.
Pages:
Actions