• 10,016,818 Posts
• 401,496 Topics
• 22,979 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Todd Graham Explaining Chad Morris' Offense  (Read 5514 times)

Re: Coaching lesson
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2018, 08:19:00 pm »

BigoBoys

Re: Todd Graham Explaining Chad Morris' Offense
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2018, 08:29:26 pm »

It's all about the QB.  Frank Broyles said that. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

31to6

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2018, 11:26:44 pm »

Baloney. This can be learned. It just requires players to be engaged. And yes, more than one player has to be able to look at the defensive alignment and read their likely intentions. BUT, everyone has to be on the same page and in terms of any passing offense, you have to have a QB who can make the throws (either leading the receiver or back shoulder) when presented with the opportunity. An above average QB can excel in this offense if he has the ability to read the defense. 
What was not mentioned in this short video but which has been in some of the longer ones is that the thinking and reading in this offense happens all across the offense. Depending on the defensive alignment and pre- and post-snap reactions many different players have to react properly. Its not just the QB who has to be smart and read the defense. The Center has to adjust protections. The RB has to know whether he is blocking or running the ball. The WRs have to recognize a blitz so they can cut off their route and comeback in a curl or crossing route to give the QB a hot read. And so on.

This offense has multiple layers that all build on the basics. We aren't doing the basics so we haven't been able to even see what happens when the more subtle and sophisticated elements of the offense come into play. Right now it is just too easy for opposing DCs to scheme for the limited offense we are running. To compound the issue, often the players are not always executing the basic plays properly on a consistent basis.

And, of course, it is all happening way too slow--which negates the whole advantage of reducing the defenses ability to adjust personnel and alignment.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2018, 11:29:31 pm »

What was not mentioned in this short video but which has been in some of the longer ones is that the thinking and reading in this offense happens all across the offense. Depending on the defensive alignment and pre- and post-snap reactions many different players have to react properly. Its not just the QB who has to be smart and read the defense. The Center has to adjust protections. The RB has to know whether he is blocking or running the ball. The WRs have to recognize a blitz so they can cut off their route and comeback in a curl or crossing route to give the QB a hot read. And so on.

This offense has multiple layers that all build on the basics. We aren't doing the basics so we haven't been able to even see what happens when the more subtle and sophisticated elements of the offense come into play. Right now it is just too easy for opposing DCs to scheme for the limited offense we are running. To compound the issue, often the players are not always executing the basic plays properly on a consistent basis.

And, of course, it is all happening way too slow--which negates the whole advantage of reducing the defenses ability to adjust personnel and alignment.

Nailed it...thank you.

woodrow hog call

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2018, 11:58:05 pm »

This is one reason I havenít gven up on Ty Storey yet. People knock him for not going through his reads quick enough without know what exactly his reads are, and if his supporting cast is doing anything close to what they are supposed to be doing.
Not saying he will be first team all SEC but he could make huge strides himself and he could get a lot more help from those around him.

Just like you mention they all have to see the same thing and adjust accordingly. Think about how many times we saw Ty cock his arm then not throw, or start his motion then stop and tuck it. If he is getting ready to throw  an X but his receiver runs a Y, itís going to put a kink in things.

Not putting it all on the receivers but outside of the coaching staff who really knows how many breakdowns we had and where they were.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Fresno St. 11-2 MWC Champions!!
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2018, 12:23:42 am »

The word that stood out to me was him saying ďdisciplineĒ. The read and play run requires dicipline. I believe that, lack of speed and lack of OL were the main issues this season. It might only come with attrition and recruiting. That being said some guys appear to be showing leadership that was lacking due to some others not buying in.
the gist I was getting was, CCM doesn't have the personnel he needs to run this system, and TG said so.

MissippHog

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2018, 01:35:37 am »

I wasn't talking about that. It was just an interesting dichotomy. I like CCM. Why do you read nefarious motives into what I said?
Only thing is, there is no "interesting dichotomy."  In your initial post, you most certainly insinuated that Bobby was detail oriented and Chad is not.  From everything I've seen and read, that's simply not true. 

I imagine it was very difficult for many of the players to buy in.  They spend 3-4 years speaking "Hoganese" and then this new guy comes in and he's speaking a completely different language.  And it's exactly why you have to give a coach 3 years to know if he's going to work out or not.  He needs his type of players all speaking his language. 

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2018, 03:53:25 am »

I love watching film breakdown too. Did you see the matchquarters at #28? Good stuff.

Yep

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2018, 05:17:28 am »

Part of their recognition of defensive alignments and intentions (according to the video) references reading the posture of Safeties and CB's. Here is an example of that from the Oklahoma-Texas Big 12 CCG last weekend. The CB blitz resulting in a Sack and Safety. Check out the posture of the CB pre-snap.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25425526

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2018, 05:21:13 am »

Part of their recognition of defensive alignments and intentions (according to the video) references reading the posture of Safeties and CB's. Here is an example of that from the Oklahoma-Texas Big 12 CCG last weekend. The CB blitz resulting in a Sack and Safety. Check out the posture of the CB pre-snap.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25425526
do you have a comparison video of what he would look like if he followed the receiver instead?  hard to tell whats "normal" looking and what would give it away that a blitz is coming.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2018, 05:26:40 am »

do you have a comparison video of what he would look like if he followed the receiver instead?  hard to tell whats "normal" looking and what would give it away that a blitz is coming.

I'm sure one can be found but this was an exceptionally unusual execution of near perfect technique by that CB. Notice that he stays squared up on his receiver. He didn't cheat down the line or aim his stance into the backfield. He "sold" his intent to cover, not allowing a read and adjustment in the backfield. Most CB's might not have aligned themselves and executed that call as well as this kid did, but that video is a great teaching point for any defensive player who is aligned to cover, with an actual intent to blitz.

MissippHog

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2018, 05:39:06 am »

I'm sure one can be found but this was an exceptionally unusual execution of near perfect technique by that CB. Notice that he stays squared up on his receiver. He didn't cheat down the line or aim his stance into the backfield. He "sold" his intent to cover, not allowing a read and adjustment in the backfield. Most CB's might not have aligned themselves and executed that call as well as this kid did, but that video is a great teaching point for any defensive player who is aligned to cover, with an actual intent to blitz.
What I would give to see one of our CB's move like that.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2018, 06:09:32 am »

is this only doable on the short side of the field, as in, does it matter which hash marks the ball is placed on?

Soooie21

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2018, 06:14:29 am »

I would bet that the Hogs didn't run 10 percent of it this past season..

Nashville Fan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Welcome to next year!
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2018, 07:03:41 am »

Baloney. This can be learned. It just requires players to be engaged. And yes, more than one player has to be able to look at the defensive alignment and read their likely intentions. BUT, everyone has to be on the same page and in terms of any passing offense, you have to have a QB who can make the throws (either leading the receiver or back shoulder) when presented with the opportunity. An above average QB can excel in this offense if he has the ability to read the defense. 
Above average QB on the same page with the WRs. It would be easy for a WR to screw up read #3 or #1 and make the QB throw an interception. You are correct engagement is the key. Character was also mentioned and not finishing games that a team leads for the last three years...

Hogmatic

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2018, 08:19:44 am »

Impressive analysis.  This explanation can help others see how the Bomb Squad hurt us when they wouldn't run the crossing patterns and slants for hot reads.

runninrazorback

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Did I see this here?
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2018, 08:47:40 am »

I had it up and just finished watching it.  But don't see the post,

https://matchquarters.com/2018/12/01/the-morris-clemson-offensive-system/

Shows ton of different plays, very few of which I saw this year, but granted I quit watching the last few weeks. 

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
Re: Did I see this here?
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2018, 12:54:19 pm »

Thanks.  A very good read.  Some doubters need to read this

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2018, 01:11:45 pm »

Clemson's classes before their natty......11,9,15 and 16......just sayin.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2018, 01:15:28 pm »

Clemson's classes before their natty......11,9,15 and 16......just sayin.

And it seems like we will have a class near those numbers this year....just sayin.

mellohog69

• Band Nerd
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2018, 01:15:59 pm »

Shows ton of different plays, very few of which I saw this year, but granted I quit watching the last few weeks.

I posted it, but a mod consolidated it into another post for some reason. A great read.

FourthandShort

• Band Nerd
  • This ain't my first rodeo
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2018, 01:32:47 pm »

This is one reason I havenít gven up on Ty Storey yet. People knock him for not going through his reads quick enough without know what exactly his reads are, and if his supporting cast is doing anything close to what they are supposed to be doing.
Not saying he will be first team all SEC but he could make huge strides himself and he could get a lot more help from those around him.

Just like you mention they all have to see the same thing and adjust accordingly. Think about how many times we saw Ty cock his arm then not throw, or start his motion then stop and tuck it. If he is getting ready to throw  an X but his receiver runs a Y, itís going to put a kink in things.

Not putting it all on the receivers but outside of the coaching staff who really knows how many breakdowns we had and where they were.

Let me save you some trouble.

Give up on Storey. 

While Storey definitely did not get a lot of help from the rest of the team, progressing through reads and reading the defense wasn't Ty's main problem. Ty's main problem is accuracy and ball velocity.  Ty can't throw the ball deep and he struggles with accuracy on his intermediate throws. 

He is making the right reads and still missing his targets.  More practice in reading the defense and getting help with defensive reads isn't going to improve his accuracy or arm strength. 

woodrow hog call

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2018, 01:53:31 pm »

Let me save you some trouble.

Give up on Storey. 

While Storey definitely did not get a lot of help from the rest of the team, progressing through reads and reading the defense wasn't Ty's main problem. Ty's main problem is accuracy and ball velocity.  Ty can't throw the ball deep and he struggles with accuracy on his intermediate throws. 

He is making the right reads and still missing his targets.  More practice in reading the defense and getting help with defensive reads isn't going to improve his accuracy or arm strength. 

He has enough arm strength when he can set his feet and throw, his accuracy can certainly be improved on, but at times he has shown a great touch and he can be very accurate on the move at times.

I have seen enough to know he has potential to be much better than he was this year, so no Iím not giving up him, let the best man win the job the way it should be.

Josh Goforth

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2018, 01:54:26 pm »

Good grief.  There's no way the current personnel can run that.  I don't know how you modify that to let players not made for that system excel. They're a fish out of water having to process and there's been no discipline in the game plan for years.

My concern is you have to have an exceptional QB to make that happen the right way.

They did run this like TG said on first and second downs at times this season. Problem is teams game plan to take away 1 or sometimes 2 of the options. Thats why at times Boyd had plenty of space on the dart/split zone/ power, teams were using numbers to negate the take and forcing the QB to give. Then on third down and long all this goes away and you have to find a play to move the chains.

MissippHog

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2018, 07:01:18 pm »

Wow, so much information in there.  I have read about half of it so far and honestly, most of that is above my pay grade. What it does tell me are two things though.  1) We saw very little of any of that this year, and B) the reason we didn't see it is we don't have the players that can mentally grasp it or physically execute it.  I suspect a little of both. 

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2018, 08:04:05 pm »

Above average QB on the same page with the WRs. It would be easy for a WR to screw up read #3 or #1 and make the QB throw an interception. You are correct engagement is the key. Character was also mentioned and not finishing games that a team leads for the last three years...

And that was my exact point...everyone being on the same page...QB, same reads as the WR's, TE's and RB's, O-Line blocking called in such a way that it meshes with what the QB is calling for...everyone on the same page.

That's just the thing about offense, so much of it depends upon perfected timing while everyone is on the same page at the same time. You can't have the O-Line blocking one way when everyone else is going a different way.

You can't have WR's going in a different direction than what the QB is reading, same with TE's, same with RB's. Everyone has to be on the same page for a play to work.

Everyone has to have confidence that they know what any other given player is supposed to be doing (and actually executing) on any given play or the result is a breakdown that results in a lack of execution, frustration and ultimately, a lack of confidence in the successful execution of any given play. Does that paint a picture that seems to be familiar?

UnknownNobody

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2018, 08:19:23 pm »

And that was my exact point...everyone being on the same page...QB, same reads as the WR's, TE's and RB's, O-Line blocking called in such a way that it meshes with what the QB is calling for...everyone on the same page.

That's just the thing about offense, so much of it depends upon perfected timing while everyone is on the same page at the same time. You can't have the O-Line blocking one way when everyone else is going a different way.

You can't have WR's going in a different direction than what the QB is reading, same with TE's, same with RB's. Everyone has to be on the same page for a play to work.

Everyone has to have confidence that they know what any other given player is supposed to be doing (and actually executing) on any given play or the result is a breakdown that results in a lack of execution, frustration and ultimately, a lack of confidence in the successful execution of any given play. Does that paint a picture that seems to be familiar?

This is why Kelley would yell and point to the sideline after a badly missed throw. He read the defense one way and the WR saw it differently. Kelley was throwing where the WR was supposed to be based on his read and the WR went another direction.

Bigmac2

• Varsity
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2018, 08:53:37 pm »

Hope to see it someday. It would probably be exciting.

Edit: after putting up my smarta$$ comment I decided to read through the thread. Kudos to those that explained further about the discipline and reads that it takes along with pointing out examples of missed reads. Hogville and itís posters impress me at times.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2018, 05:21:10 am »

the gist I was getting was, CCM doesn't have the personnel he needs to run this system, and TG said so.

Agree. But even if he did have the proper personnel athletic wise then it would still require that dicipline.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:03:52 am by Inhogswetrust »

ballz2thewall

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2018, 08:44:07 am »

He has enough arm strength when he can set his feet and throw, his accuracy can certainly be improved on, but at times he has shown a great touch and he can be very accurate on the move at times.

I have seen enough to know he has potential to be much better than he was this year, so no Iím not giving up him, let the best man win the job the way it should be.

bernie kosar could function with that hitch in his throw.

ty can't. his ball is effectively knuckled when it leaves his hand. rotations are off. at best it's an "every now and then" result.

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2018, 08:50:02 am »

Good grief.  There's no way the current personnel can run that.  I don't know how you modify that to let players not made for that system excel. They're a fish out of water having to process and there's been no discipline in the game plan for years.

My concern is you have to have an exceptional QB to make that happen the right way.

Yeah, and quarterback isn't the only thing. I didn't remember seeing our 2018 tackles making that pulling block on the opposite side. I also thought: no way our Bielemesque tackles COULD do that, is there? I went back and watched some running plays and we had the guard making that block. There's one of your modifications. And it sort of worked, but obviously it's not supposed to be optimal -- for example, the defense opposite the pulling guard is closer to the action so he can penetrate and disrupt the backfield more easily and quicker.

Our wide receivers could not block for that "Take" very often, either.

Hogmatic

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2018, 09:29:16 am »

Minus a Grad Transfer QB.  If Ben Hicks can run part of the offense at SMU then it bodes well for Storey and Noland developing a transition period.  KJ needs time to study the offense so hopefully a RS is possible.    I think Noland is the guy for next year.

CogitatinHawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2018, 09:32:26 pm »

Read this thread earlier and saw others noted the O-line issue, pocket protection, everyone keeping their assignments, etc., so that's been covered. 

In my OCD digestion of CFB this year, I heard a lot of mid-season comments and game film showing fair to (eventually) good QBs that were "finally learning to wait for their reads" and some just finally learning to "read," period - will mention no names, many were first-year QBs or sophomores.  The ones that developed had more consistency around them on the field, which seems essential.

So yes, I agree that it takes some skill and also some time to develop on the field.  You might memorize the playbook, but seeing and feeling it in 3-D while a D-line looks to pancake you is a whole 'nother kind of muscle memory.  Like was said before, QB is counting on everyone fulfilling their roles and being where they're supposed to be, and how many times did we see that this season? 

If you learn something incorrectly the first time, it's much harder to "un-learn" it to do it the right way.  Years ago it took me a solid year to fix my relatively infantile golf swing, which sounded ludicrous when my golf pro said it, especially given that I practiced 3-4 times a week (practiced it wrong 3-4 times a week, too), but he was right. 

I have to wonder if that's part of us seeing a more optimistic start to the season, and then seeing the really ugly part of re-learning everything?  That process definitely takes buy-in -- nothing pretty happening once you raze your existing skills down to the basics, and those without buy-in or fortitude just will not push through that re-learning process. 

For everyone - if you enjoy the Xs and Os and breaking down plays, there's a show on ESPN called Detail with Peyton Manning 'splaining it all that's a fun watch.  SEC Film Room is also fun, but I swear they only show the play before the play that I'd really like to see.  I do like that SEC FR talks defense, too. 

PLAYBOOKS:
Also, if you want to appreciate everything QBs have to learn (and defenses and more), there's a website called something like "Football Xs and Os" that has a bunch of old playbooks that you can download in PDF form.  I downloaded some more recent ones that were massive, assumed the 1970s ones would be a little leaner, but nope.  Assumed Knute Rockne's 1921 book would be even leaner, and yeah, it kind of is, but that's because it's hand-drawn and has three plays per page. 

Anyway, among those, you can see two of Holtz's 1970s RB playbooks, as well as Gus' 2010 Auburn spread (if that doesn't upset you - I had to have a tranquilizer on general principle).   You can also see where Saban took his player policy page from the 2001 LSU defensive playbook, used some white-out on team names, and put it to good use in the 2008 Saban/Smart Bama version.  To be fair, I think his policy page was typewriter typed and not a computer document, but I found it amusing, considering his attention to detail.   :o

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2018, 12:03:44 am »

Anyone ever think that the offensive is too complex or too complex for itís own good. Read a story about the offensive guys still on staff at Clemson when Chad left were freaking out trying to get QB ready. The ended up simplifying the offense.  Can still have same principals and concepts without being complex. Thereís a reason that KISS is a cliche

hog of steele

• Hogvillian
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2018, 07:51:50 am »

Anyone ever think that the offensive is too complex or too complex for itís own good. Read a story about the offensive guys still on staff at Clemson when Chad left were freaking out trying to get QB ready. The ended up simplifying the offense.  Can still have same principals and concepts without being complex. Thereís a reason that KISS is a cliche

I don't think this is an issue. I don't imagine anybody ever gets the entire playbook. I bet that it is designed to be paired down to the needs a year has.

The problem this year is that we just didn't have the time in the system/pieces in place to run it.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2018, 05:26:10 pm »

When he was at Clemson, Morris had a tendency to abandon the run in big games.  When Morris was there they were able to win some, not all, of those big games by basically just passing the ball.

Now, Clemson seems to be really focused on running the ball.  It is one of the aspects that makes this season's Clemson's offense undefensable by an opposing defense.   

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2018, 11:05:28 am »

He had high school players runnng it in the past as well as players at other places. Are you saying those players were smarter.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2018, 11:49:42 am »

I remember the last 2 years of Bert's time here we heard several times about having to "simplify the offense". If these players had a hard time with Bert's boring offense imagine trying to grasp this new one. It would be like taking your average grade school kid and putting him or her in a advanced college class. No wonder they looked lost and couldn't run basic plays without colliding with each other.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2018, 12:25:20 pm »

When he was at Clemson, Morris had a tendency to abandon the run in big games.  When Morris was there they were able to win some, not all, of those big games by basically just passing the ball.

Now, Clemson seems to be really focused on running the ball.  It is one of the aspects that makes this season's Clemson's offense undefensable by an opposing defense.

I guess that must be why Morris had 1000yrd rushers in 3 of his 4 years at Clemson and and Gallman had nearly 800yrds the 4th year.

GTOWNHOG

« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2018, 12:26:28 pm »

I'm sure this has probably been posted before, but I didn't see it anywhere.

Todd Graham doing a (very) quick job of explaining the concepts behind CM's offense.

That was very interesting and certainly explains why Arkansas looked so bad on offense this year.  Discipline and the right QUARTERBACK are the keys.  I am sure that Coach Morris will get us there in a couple of seasons.

Would watch in full screen mode to see what he is drawing better.

This was very interesting.  The two key factors seem to be  FOOTBALL DISCIPLINE and having the right QUARTERBACK.  I am sure that Coach Morris will get us there in a couple of seasons.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2018, 08:38:19 pm »

I guess that must be why Morris had 1000yrd rushers in 3 of his 4 years at Clemson and and Gallman had nearly 800yrds the 4th year.

Wow. Actual facts on Hogville. We donít see that very often. Well done.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2018, 01:01:19 pm »

This is why Kelley would yell and point to the sideline after a badly missed throw. He read the defense one way and the WR saw it differently. Kelley was throwing where the WR was supposed to be based on his read and the WR went another direction.

Yes!

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2018, 01:05:29 pm »

I remember the last 2 years of Bert's time here we heard several times about having to "simplify the offense". If these players had a hard time with Bert's boring offense imagine trying to grasp this new one. It would be like taking your average grade school kid and putting him or her in a advanced college class. No wonder they looked lost and couldn't run basic plays without colliding with each other.

That offense had plenty of reads as well. But, they were different reads. Morris not only had to teach his system he had to un-teach the old one. That is part of the skillset that isn't a requirement for any new coach - winning with other coach's recruits.

Morris' system is more QB dependent than what Enos was running. It is why getting the QB situation right for 2019 is so critical. We  can't waste spring practice and summer drills and fall camp plus 3 games trying to determine a starting QB. That has to happen more quickly. It should, with KJ not around this will go down to Connor vs Ty.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas