Pages:
Actions
  • #18501 by Boog41 on 03 Mar 2016
  • Burger Chef - there were places in several states.    Kind of like Burger King.

When I was young, that was my mom & dad's fast food burger of choice when we'd go to Ft. Smith.
  • #18502 by Großer Kriegschwein on 03 Mar 2016
  • Is that the place on the NE side of town headed towards the hotels? I've been going to Batesville for about 3 years and always wondered what that place was.

It was.

They closed, as my grandfather says, from the landlord not wanting to make upgrades to the facilities. The landlord is a government agency that runs a rehabilitation center in an old motel next door. So the owner just closed up shop instead.

There were Kelly's in Wynne, Batesville, Bald Knob, and one other place that escapes me. The guy that founded them is gone now, and he built one for each of his children.

They were an Arkansas-built, small business. They leased the one in Bald Knob to that Chinese guy from the commercials. Hilarious. He said he was a good-ol boy, with good down home cooking.

I lol'd

• #18503 by PonderinHog on 03 Mar 2016
  • It was.

They closed, as my grandfather says, from the landlord not wanting to make upgrades to the facilities. The landlord is a government agency that runs a rehabilitation center in an old motel next door. So the owner just closed up shop instead.

There were Kelly's in Wynne, Batesville, Bald Knob, and one other place that escapes me. The guy that founded them is gone now, and he built one for each of his children.

They were an Arkansas-built, small business. They leased the one in Bald Knob to that Chinese guy from the commercials. Hilarious. He said he was a good-ol boy, with good down home cooking.

I lol'd
    And Trumann.
  • #18504 by Wayne Watson on 03 Mar 2016
  • Not sure if it's still open but Minute Man in El Dorado had a great burger.  It was the only one still left in 2013.
  • #18505 by Boardon Hamsay on 03 Mar 2016
  • Not sure if it's still open but Minute Man in El Dorado had a great burger.  It was the only one still left in 2013.

Still there and last Minute Man standing. Same nostalgic, "Minute Man, hold" initial response when you call them, lol. I stop by there and the Spudnut Shop every time I'm down that way, which is usually once a year around the holidays.
  • #18506 by ricepig on 03 Mar 2016
  • And Trumann.

Truman??, I know of Newport, I don't remember Trumann.
  • #18507 by PonderinHog on 03 Mar 2016
  • Truman??, I know of Newport, I don't remember Trumann.
    Jerry's?  That was a long time ago, man.
  • #18508 by ricepig on 03 Mar 2016
  • Jerry's?  That was a long time ago, man.

Yeah, Jerry's and it's still open I believe. They had the best rib eye steak for about $8.99, but if you wanted sour cream on your baked potato, you had to bring your own, haha.
  • #18509 by PonderinHog on 03 Mar 2016
  • Yeah, Jerry's and it's still open I believe. They had the best rib eye steak for about $8.99, but if you wanted sour cream on your baked potato, you had to bring your own, haha.
    I haven't driven through Trumann since they finished the bypass.
  • #18510 by Tejano Jawg on 03 Mar 2016
  • ROTC is actually still around, but not on Dickson St. any more. Remember The Hush Puppy on highway 112, north of the agri campus? That is where ROTC moved to. I believe they had a fire not too long ago, but they are still open.

So, the quaint little Restaurant On The Corner is no longer "on the corner"? But on Hwy 112? Just not the same.
  • #18511 by Torqued pork on 04 Mar 2016
  • I feel like a little part of me dies every time McDonald's takes the McRib off the menu.
  • #18512 by ricepig on 04 Mar 2016
  • I haven't driven through Trumann since they finished the bypass.

Well, if my kids hadn't have played some youth baseball tournaments there, I wouldn't have in the last 20 years.
  • #18513 by outlawhogeywells on 04 Mar 2016
  • So, the quaint little Restaurant On The Corner is no longer "on the corner"? But on Hwy 112? Just not the same.
    Food is just as good, Menu looks almost the same.  Building needs some work, but the food is always good
  • #18514 by outlawhogeywells on 04 Mar 2016
  • Burger Chef - there were places in several states.    Kind of like Burger King.
    Didn't they have the saying like they are incredaburgable
  • #18515 by The_Iceman on 04 Mar 2016
  • Phils in Westville was my favorite

Wow. Went there a few times with my parents as a teenager. I remember it being excellent.
  • #18516 by The_Iceman on 04 Mar 2016
  • I feel like a little part of me dies every time McDonald's takes the McRib off the menu.

And a part of everyone who buys one dies when it comes back on the menu.
  • #18517 by Torqued pork on 04 Mar 2016
  • And a part of everyone who buys one dies when it comes back on the menu.
    Nonsense. It doesn't get healthier than processed pork.
  • #18518 by DeltaBoy on 04 Mar 2016

I remember eating at the one in West Helena as a kid and the one down town in LR when I was in College at UALR.
  • #18519 by DLUXHOG on 04 Mar 2016
  • The "Rink" wasn't an eating establishment, but was a very popular drinking/event/concert place in the 70's and early 80's......   The stories that place could tell if it was still around......
  • #18520 by MJ2 on 04 Mar 2016
  • The "Rink" wasn't an eating establishment, but was a very popular drinking/event/concert place in the 70's and early 80's......   The stories that place could tell if it was still around......

The Cate Brothers
    Huey Lewis
    Played there
  • #18521 by majestic on 04 Mar 2016
    Yes, I knew the Strattons well.
  • #18522 by DLUXHOG on 04 Mar 2016
  • The Cate Brothers
    Huey Lewis
    Played there
    add... River City Street Band (one of Fayetteville's finest)...
  • #18523 by ricepig on 04 Mar 2016
  • add... River City Street Band (one of Fayetteville's finest)...

Don't forget Archie Bell and the Drells!
  • #18524 by Boardon Hamsay on 04 Mar 2016
  • Nonsense. It doesn't get healthier than processed pork.

There's nothing quite like a congealed patty of pork and pork like products slathered in sauce to give your digestive and immune systems something to practice on.
  • #18525 by PorkSoda on 04 Mar 2016
    boneless ribs?  something about that just aint right

There's nothing quite like a congealed patty of pork and pork like products slathered in sauce to give your digestive and immune systems something to practice on.
    you would like hawaii.  SPAM is a staple of most people's diets out here. 

• #18526 by yraciv on 04 Mar 2016
  • Where is the best veggie burger guys?
  • #18527 by Boardon Hamsay on 04 Mar 2016
  • boneless ribs?  something about that just aint right
    you would like hawaii.  SPAM is a staple of most people's diets out here. 

Yep, out on the islands, you can get a spam mcmuffin for breakfast, a McRib for lunch, and searing abdominal cramping for dinner. ;D
  • #18528 by husker71 on 04 Mar 2016
  • Archie Bell and the Drells     MY gosh I could listen to Tighten Up all night   in fact I am going to go to youtube and listen to it now   Rickys brother right??
  • #18529 by Oklahawg on 04 Mar 2016
  • The Cate Brothers
    Huey Lewis
    Played there

Saw Jason and the Scorchers play there on a wickedly cold night instead of watching an OT NCAA Final Four Championship game (Glen Rice led Michigan over Seton Hall). They kept blowing a breaker. Talked to Jason quite a bit waiting for it to be fixed. Turns out he likes Bob Wills almost as much as I do. Who knew?
  • #18530 by Ray Piggers on 04 Mar 2016
  • Park Place Pizza in Prairie Grove :(
  • #18531 by The Boar War on 04 Mar 2016
  • It was.

I lol'd

FWIW it reopened in the old Duck Blind in the Ramada. 
  • #18532 by ricepig on 05 Mar 2016
  • Saw Jason and the Scorchers play there on a wickedly cold night instead of watching an OT NCAA Final Four Championship game (Glen Rice led Michigan over Seton Hall). They kept blowing a breaker. Talked to Jason quite a bit waiting for it to be fixed. Turns out he likes Bob Wills almost as much as I do. Who knew?

What makes Bob holler?
  • #18533 by bolo on 05 Mar 2016
  • What makes Bob holler?
    thats what i like about the south
    doo wa diddy
  • #18534 by razorshark on 05 Mar 2016
  • Saw Jason and the Scorchers play there on a wickedly cold night instead of watching an OT NCAA Final Four Championship game (Glen Rice led Michigan over Seton Hall). They kept blowing a breaker. Talked to Jason quite a bit waiting for it to be fixed. Turns out he likes Bob Wills almost as much as I do. Who knew?
    The Cate Brothers
    Huey Lewis
    Played there
    saw
    They got something against I-30?
    george thorogood was great at the rink

• #18535 by Oklahawg on 05 Mar 2016
  • What makes Bob holler?

http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.18639

His birthday bash is today. Cain's - "the house that Bob built."
  • #18536 by rcopela on 07 Mar 2016
  • Phils in Westville was my favorite
    Miss this place, was the real deal..
  • #18537 by Polecat on 07 Mar 2016
  • Is Betty's Old Fashioned still open in El Dorado? That was a great, cheap place to get a meal 15 years ago
  • #18538 by Polecat on 07 Mar 2016
  • It begins and ends with this.

Couldn't agree more
  • #18539 by Boog41 on 07 Mar 2016
  • Back in the day, the Lighthouse in Ft. Smith was good. I know it closed several years ago, but seems like I heard it was going to open back up. Anyone know if it did?
  • #18540 by Hawgndaaz on 07 Mar 2016
  • Mr Burger is reopening under new ownership at some point soon.
  • #18541 by Inhogswetrust on 07 Mar 2016

Dang that's a really old burger…………………….
  • #18542 by Inhogswetrust on 07 Mar 2016
  • I haven't driven through Trumann since they finished the bypass.

If you stop and eat there you'll need another bypass……………………..
  • #18543 by Inhogswetrust on 07 Mar 2016

Especially in the parking lot………………….
  • #18544 by Inhogswetrust on 07 Mar 2016
  • The Cate Brothers
    Huey Lewis
    Played there

The  Cate Brothers and Jed Clampett have played every venue within a 100 mile radius I bet!
  • #18545 by Inhogswetrust on 07 Mar 2016
  • Where is the best veggie burger guys?

Castro District, San Francisco, California. So I've heard……………………..
  • #18546 by Inhogswetrust on 07 Mar 2016
  • FWIW it reopened in the old Duck Blind in the Ramada. 

Reminds me of the old Duck Inn in Camden………….It was the best place to go in Camden when I was a kid growing up!
  • #18547 by Inhogswetrust on 07 Mar 2016
  • What makes Bob holler?

His wife……………………...
  • #18548 by Dark Helmet Hog on 08 Mar 2016
  • Tale of the Trout
  • #18549 by hogbud on 09 Mar 2016
  • Wish place in Y City was still open - now just an EZ Mart
  • #18550 by Boog41 on 09 Mar 2016
  • Wish place in Y City was still open - now just an EZ Mart

Several people, from my hometown, were driving to our high school football game in Mena and stopped at that place to eat. Unfortunately, they got food poisoning. That was many years ago though.
Pages:
Actions