• 396,109 Topics
• 22,372 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am proud to say we are a baseball school  (Read 1993 times)

FaulknerHogfan

I am proud to say we are a baseball school
« on: April 11, 2018, 08:09:00 pm »

Who is with me? We havenít performed at the elite level in FB or BB in years...  support out baseball hogs...

247Hog

• Senior
  • Regular Sized Rudy Calling the Hogs
Re: I am proud to say we are a baseball school
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 08:19:31 pm »

I'm glad we're doing well in baseball but ill NEVER be proud to only be a baseball school and suck in football and basketball.

Question...were you proud to be a track and field school?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

woo.pig

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 08:52:36 pm »

Baseball has my loyalty financially. switched support from football years ago with no regrets

BroyledNutts

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 08:53:21 pm »

Baseball has my loyalty financially. switched support from football years ago with no regrets

Same here ...

WBOBO

• Hogvillian
  • Lefty- RIP #1 Hog Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 09:53:51 pm »

I guess I'm just proud to say I'm a Razorback born and bred.  Hell yeah
I'm proud of our track titles.  I'm proud of all Razorback titles from conference
titles to national championship titles to seeing Stacy Lewis making her entire winnings she received from a golf tournament go to a charity of her choice.  It's
a reflection of the program.

sir-pigs-a-lot

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 10:13:01 pm »

Same. Baseball has my loyalty.

We are a baseball school in terms of being elite but Arkansas will always be a football school in terms of fan support.

FaulknerHogfan

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 10:13:05 pm »

I love the Razorbacks from track and field to football... but our identity is now baseball! It does not mitigate my pride for other sports

theFlyingHog

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 07:00:21 am »

Same. Baseball has my loyalty.

We are a baseball school in terms of being elite but Arkansas will always be a football school in terms of fan support.
It would be sweet to regularly have 70,000 at a baseball game

swineology

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 07:01:36 am »

Me as well, never have looked back after year 2 of Bert.
Quit Basketball as well, after the Stan Heath era

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 07:17:56 am »

Who is with me? We havenít performed at the elite level in FB or BB in years...  support out baseball hogs...

Without football none of the other sports would exist at least at the level we want to play in.

sir-pigs-a-lot

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 07:38:36 am »

Without football none of the other sports would exist at least at the level we want to play in.

I disagree. Baseball does not rely on any other sports for finances. It's one of a handful of schools in the nation to claim such. Our baseball program is profitable as a stand alone entity

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 07:58:41 am »

my dad & I are passionate razorback baseball fans.   he gave up his football tickets 5 years ago.

ricepig

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 07:59:35 am »

I disagree. Baseball does not rely on any other sports for finances. It's one of a handful of schools in the nation to claim such. Our baseball program is profitable as a stand alone entity

And without football and being in the SEC, do you think baseball alone would garner the support it does? Just remember, I went to school when they played in the gravel parking lot between Stadium and Razorback Rd. Our baseball team is successful, but it wouldn't stand alone if it was the only sport.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 08:28:42 am »

And without football and being in the SEC, do you think baseball alone would garner the support it does? Just remember, I went to school when they played in the gravel parking lot between Stadium and Razorback Rd. Our baseball team is successful, but it wouldn't stand alone if it was the only sport.

Man you think we have errors now, think of the crazy hops back then when the infield was gravel. 

oldhawg

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 08:34:09 am »

Good question with a couple of implications.  Without football, perhaps baseball would not have become as successful a program at the U of A that it is today (start-up money, facilities, coaching, tradition, etc.).  But on the other hand, if football was discontinued today at Arkansas, baseball might become even more popular.  Might even have to enlarge the stadium again.

hogman64

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • GO HOGS
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 09:05:51 am »

comparing baseball , football and basketball.

our most successful coach is the baseball coach.

our highest recruiting rankings are in baseball

if a fan likes winning and post season success there is no question, baseball
gives you the most enjoyment.

on a national level as  well as a conference level  our baseball program  has more respect by far than our football  program
and basketball  program.

hopes for success in football and basketball are kept alive by the sugar coating media and  die hard fans who remember the past, baseball
success happens in the now.

bosshog84

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 09:39:00 am »

I support every Razorback sport, but baseball has my heart. It's what I have always been the most passionate about. Van Horn has to be my all time favorite Razorback coach. Such a classy guy!

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 10:00:15 am »

Iím a Razorback fan period but iím not into baseball per se.   However on the question, would baseball be what it is without football and basketball, there are many many very good to great teams from smaller schools.  How many of those are ranked as regular as Arkansas I donít know but you can be nationally relevant in the lower sports without the benifit of a 100+ mil sports juggernaut.

ricepig

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 10:26:34 am »

Good question with a couple of implications.  Without football, perhaps baseball would not have become as successful a program at the U of A that it is today (start-up money, facilities, coaching, tradition, etc.).  But on the other hand, if football was discontinued today at Arkansas, baseball might become even more popular.  Might even have to enlarge the stadium again.

Well, we would become an independent, more than likely, or drop to a much smaller conference. Missouri St would probably be a good example, although they have a FCS football team. I support all of our teams, so I'm just a Razorback fan, regardless of the sport.

TuCanSam

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 10:39:34 am »

I'm a Razorback through and through and have been since i was a kid. (both parents graduated from there) For some reason just last year is when i really started watching and keeping up  with them. I think the lack of success in bball and football is what got me here. The more i watch, the more i like. I have not gotten to really know the players and who is key role much yet.

popcornhog

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 10:52:11 am »

We are a track school.

Basketball and football have both won a single NC, so Iíd say that puts them ahead of baseball.

That said, the past decade plus has certainly seen far more baseball success than football and basketball, that is very true. There is no doubt that we are currently an elite baseball school.

popcornhog

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 10:55:54 am »

If I lived in NWA, Iíd definitely allocate donation money to baseball and buy baseball tickets.

But I havenít lived in NWA since I was a student at the UA. Having lived in Nashville, Kansas City, and Little Rock since then ó baseball is a very hard sport to have season tickets for, given the number of games and number of weekday games. It just isnít feasible, whereas football is.

TNhawgfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 11:01:14 am »

My first love was hog basketball, and they say the first cut is the deepest, so that is still the one that pains me the most when we aren't good. I would put baseball in the same category as football though - love them and root for them passionately, just not as much as basketball

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 11:33:36 am »

But that hasnít always been the case and thus it might not be where it is without it. Especially from where itís grown from. I love Hog baseball as well. Heck my cousin is married to a Baum family member. Without Charlieís support and Norms and Daveís coaching we have been fortunate to have it been built to what it is today.

The same can be said of basketball to some degree with some specific donors and coaches.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:45:10 pm by Inhogswetrust »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 11:41:29 am »

We are a track school.

Basketball and football have both won a single NC, so Iíd say that puts them ahead of baseball.

That said, the past decade plus has certainly seen far more baseball success than football and basketball, that is very true. There is no doubt that we are currently an elite baseball school.

Track doesnít pay the bills. I love we are good at it and are fortunate to be so.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 11:47:16 am »

comparing baseball , football and basketball.

our most successful coach is the baseball coach.

our highest recruiting rankings are in baseball

if a fan likes winning and post season success there is no question, baseball
gives you the most enjoyment.

on a national level as  well as a conference level  our baseball program  has more respect by far than our football  program
and basketball  program.

hopes for success in football and basketball are kept alive by the sugar coating media and  die hard fans who remember the past, baseball
success happens in the now.

Without football we are not in a P5 conference and thus the overall athletic budget is minuscule as well as fan support probably. Some f the known baseball schools from lesser conferences donít have near the support you might think they do. They also have student athletic fees that we donít have. Itís also not nearly as costly for those places to finance a baseball team as mich as a top football team.
They can have good baseball teams at those places and kind of fly under the radar so to speak. Thatís impossible to do with football.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:01:28 pm by Inhogswetrust »

BroyledNutts

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 02:33:18 pm »

We may be a football first school, and that's ok with me - let them be as great or marginal as they want to on the field as long as they get that SEC revenue money to build facilities ... then take a year's worth of that $ and build a baseball stadium that will rival any in the known world ... With the enhanced exposure to the game on a national level, the quality of players that are coming to college, and the growing media hype about the hidden gem that is college baseball, I see absolutely nothing wrong with Arkansas becoming a baseball school ... if that's our path to prominence, take it.

Carpe Diem like a boss ...

It would be sweet to regularly have 70,000 at a baseball game

I'd love to see half that amount and a stadium big enough to hold them ...

WBOBO

• Hogvillian
  • Lefty- RIP #1 Hog Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 10:55:53 pm »

I will say this.  The last 10 or so years the expectation was to get to the CWS in baseball.  It used to be a given in basketball you make the Sweet 16 in the 80's and 90's.  It  can't be said for football or basketball any longer. 

AugustaHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 09:52:03 pm »

I wish there was even a legit argument as to which program was the most successful of the big 3, but weíve been pretty poor on average the last 20 years or so in the other two.  I love all Hog sports and am thankful that we have an elite baseball program to root on.

WBOBO

• Hogvillian
  • Lefty- RIP #1 Hog Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 10:40:49 pm »

I wish there was even a legit argument as to which program was the most successful of the big 3, but we’ve been pretty poor on average the last 20 years or so in the other two.  I love all Hog sports and am thankful that we have an elite baseball program to root on.
I wish there was even a legit argument as to which program was the most successful of the big 3, but we’ve been pretty poor on average the last 20 years or so in the other two.  I love all Hog sports and am thankful that we have an elite baseball program to root on.
Augusta you are so correct  and please don't take my post as throwing stones at the football and basketball programs because I do love all 3.  But when get up on that mountain top, well....you know.

hogwild04

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 11:19:09 pm »

I love all the sports, but college baseball is huge compared to what it was 15 years ago.   When national seeds are named and regionals start , that is all that is on TV,   Every Hotel within 1 hour of CWS is already sold out. The only thing I wish is the athletes were awarded more scholarship money,  a shame  Baseball only gets 11.7 scholarships for 30 plus players to divide up.  Wish NCAA would come off that and at least get 15-20.  It really is a injustice to the coach and players,  some work their whole childhood to get here, parents spend 1000s, on travel, then they get a 25-35 percent scholarship.   Parents should take all that money and invest it and I bet they would have enough to pay 100 percent of school, though not always about money vs dreams.  That is why I respect the college baseball player, most are giving their all in classroom and hours in practice and on the field representing their school and with hardly any scholarship vs football or basketball where all are on full rides.  JMO

theFlyingHog

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 12:40:11 pm »

I love all the sports, but college baseball is huge compared to what it was 15 years ago.   When national seeds are named and regionals start , that is all that is on TV,   Every Hotel within 1 hour of CWS is already sold out. The only thing I wish is the athletes were awarded more scholarship money,  a shame  Baseball only gets 11.7 scholarships for 30 plus players to divide up.  Wish NCAA would come off that and at least get 15-20.  It really is a injustice to the coach and players,  some work their whole childhood to get here, parents spend 1000s, on travel, then they get a 25-35 percent scholarship.   Parents should take all that money and invest it and I bet they would have enough to pay 100 percent of school, though not always about money vs dreams.  That is why I respect the college baseball player, most are giving their all in classroom and hours in practice and on the field representing their school and with hardly any scholarship vs football or basketball where all are on full rides.  JMO
Please post more. +1

SouthTulsaHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 01:31:28 pm »

Does the lack of scholarships for baseball have anything to do with Title IX?

BroyledNutts

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 01:56:27 pm »

Probably the largest reason I shifted my financial support to 100% baseball. It's ridiculous that these kids can't have a decent scholarship.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2018, 01:59:22 pm »

Does the lack of scholarships for baseball have anything to do with Title IX?

Yes and no.  Title IX did have the affect of reducing scholarships, but the scholarships were underwhelming before Title IX as well.  If you ever wondered why we have 11.7 scholarships to divide up, this is because Title IX reduced scholarships by 10%.  It dropped a paltry 13 scholarships down to 11.7.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2018, 03:13:40 pm »

Yes and no.  Title IX did have the affect of reducing scholarships, but the scholarships were underwhelming before Title IX as well.  If you ever wondered why we have 11.7 scholarships to divide up, this is because Title IX reduced scholarships by 10%.  It dropped a paltry 13 scholarships down to 11.7.

Why was it only 13 before?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas