• 10,015,822 Posts
• 401,468 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 9 new faces for 2018.  (Read 12968 times)

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: 9 new faces for 2018.
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2018, 01:11:07 pm »

Only people that bring up racial comments on this board are people that have their own agendas.

Read his response,  his statement was about race.. so what do you think his agenda was?  and, you were the first to jump in..tad edgy?

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2018, 02:20:13 pm »

That's about the same as Trump saying there are good people on both sides.. got it.. and that's also what I was afraid you meant... for obvious reasons..

My point is, Mike Anderson should be judged on his Merits and his Accomplishments, not on the color of his skin.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2018, 02:24:50 pm »

My point is that there is racial bias on both sides of the fence. There are those who support Mike only because he is African American and there are those who oppose Mike for the same reason. I don't agree with either one.

Wow.  That is awful.  Even for you.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2018, 02:33:44 pm »

My point is, Mike Anderson should be judged on his Merits and his Accomplishments, not on the color of his skin.

I agree.. but saying he won't be held to the same standards as a previous coach, for obvious reasons, is not a very clear way to say it....

Tejano Jawg

• Show me.
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2018, 03:31:27 pm »

9 huh?Öit will be interesting to see people's guess at the depth chart once basketball gets back up and running. You know, our bench wasn't really that great this year, so depending on who steps up and becomes a big contributor (hopefully big) may be a surprise to many.

Right now, I could only name one sure starter. Thanks Daniel.

Otis

• Varsity
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2018, 05:06:39 pm »

You would be surprised.  Sometimes records get sealed.

Porkatarian out...

Are you insinuating, that Hall and Jones, committed some heinous acts, were arrested, and convicted, only to have the record sealed because they were juveniles? All without the public even knowing they were arrested? But weíre allowed to play all year also?

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2018, 05:34:39 pm »

Wow.  That is awful.  Even for you.
im as redneck and white as it gets and support CMA

rtr

« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2018, 06:33:12 pm »

It would not surprise me if we are better next year.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2018, 11:39:10 pm »

If Garland is cleared, I am inclined to agree.  If he is not, I still expect us to be comparable to this year.

Pork Twain

« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2018, 01:12:32 am »

There is only one new face that would really help this program and he is never leaving.  :(

nwahogfan1

« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2018, 06:56:53 am »

We might be better but to do that we must find team leaders, play great team defense, force turnovers, rebound better and find some scorers.  Lol. But the talent, length and athleticism is there.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2018, 09:06:27 am »

I agree.. but saying he won't be held to the same standards as a previous coach, for obvious reasons, is not a very clear way to say it....

He won't be held to the same standard by some here on Hogville and that's really sad..

Dominicanhog

« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2018, 02:53:20 pm »

He won't be held to the same standard by some here on Hogville and that's really sad..

that's a true statement.. all you have to do is look at any thread and you'll see he's not held to the same standards as a coach with his record.. and yes it is a shame.. but some people see color not record..

k.c.hawg

« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2018, 03:16:08 pm »

that's a true statement.. all you have to do is look at any thread and you'll see he's not held to the same standards as a coach with his record.. and yes it is a shame.. but some people see color not record..

And what coach would that comparison be with?

hogcam

• Senior
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2018, 03:20:23 pm »

Are you insinuating, that Hall and Jones, committed some heinous acts, were arrested, and convicted, only to have the record sealed because they were juveniles? All without the public even knowing they were arrested? But weíre allowed to play all year also?
I do know one was accused of breaking into cars before he went to the UofA. Don't know what ever came of it or how true it is.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2018, 03:23:07 pm »

And what coach would that comparison be with?

Start with active winning percentage, years without a losing record.. conference records, .. he ranks higher than most .. that put's him in pretty good coaching company, yet to hear many on HV, he can't do anything right...

k.c.hawg

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2018, 03:26:10 pm »

Start with active winning percentage, years without a losing record.. conference records, .. he ranks higher than most .. that put's him in pretty good coaching company, yet to hear many on HV, he can't do anything right...

Right. I thought you were coming from the other direction. He cannot be compared to Nolan or Eddie. And Pelphrey or Heath cannot go on the same page with him. It's laughable when people try to put him in a comparison with Heath or Pel. 

Pork Twain

« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2018, 10:07:18 pm »

Sorry to burst your bubble but Nolan and Sutton have shown us all that we can actually have a coach that does more than just win more than he loses.  Only caring that he is slightly better than Heath and Pel just does not do it for me.  I will give you that he is better than Pel and Heath, but is that what we have really come to expect from our basketball coach?  You cannot hold up SEC glory , NCAA glory or even NIT glory, but he has won more than he has lost.  Woopie!!!  That is a pretty pathetic standard. 

razorback1829

« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2018, 11:01:41 pm »

Sorry to burst your bubble but Nolan and Sutton have shown us all that we can actually have a coach that does more than just win more than he loses.  Only caring that he is slightly better than Heath and Pel just does not do it for me.  I will give you that he is better than Pel and Heath, but is that what we have really come to expect from our basketball coach?  You cannot hold up SEC glory , NCAA glory or even NIT glory, but he has won more than he has lost.  Woopie!!!  That is a pretty pathetic standard.

And Pel and Heath showed you how bad it can really get. Still havenít recovered fully.

cram224

« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2018, 07:21:12 am »

Just wait until you see the OOC schedule next year and I bet you will see why he has a winning record.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2018, 07:21:35 am »

And Pel and Heath showed you how bad it can really get. Still haven’t recovered fully.

This will be Mike's 8th season at Arkansas so the "haven't fully recovered" mantra won't fly any more.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2018, 07:25:31 am »

And to some, he can't do anything wrong. Say what you want but there are those on this board who wouldn't cut Heath or Pelphrey any slack at all but they bend over backwards to cut Mike a MASSIVE amount of slack and have done so since the day he was hired as HC.

HoopS

« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2018, 09:49:03 am »

You know why Mike has some supporters who didnít support those two as much? Look at their win percentages and his and stop there. Itís no comparison.

I also agree that itís beyond time to quit bringing up their tenure as why we havenít done X, Y, or Z. This is fully Mikeís program now.

We will be breaking in a lot of players. But Iíll hold off on ďcutting much slackĒ due to it. If this season turns into an atrocity, itíll be time to move on.

Obviously, a good season is expected.

Somewhere between a good season and atrocity is a subjective range but I hope he stays out of that. Should we manage to fall back to that, which yes 23 wins is good not great, Iím not sure we should keep him. A lot will be in the details. It wonít be a simple decision if that happens.

But the roster is his roster. Management of it and having to break in so many is his baby. I wonít let that be an excuse to support a bad product.

hawg66

« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2018, 10:29:43 am »

And to some, he can't do anything wrong. Say what you want but there are those on this board who wouldn't cut Heath or Pelphrey any slack at all but they bend over backwards to cut Mike a MASSIVE amount of slack and have done so since the day he was hired as HC.
you were the one saying he doesnít get treated the same as comparable coaches did. So you think Heath and Pelís records were comparable?  Sheesh.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2018, 11:18:22 am »

Hogs hosting top JUCO player this weekend!! His finalists are us and Cincy! This is big time!!

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2018, 11:42:36 am »

you were the one saying he doesn’t get treated the same as comparable coaches did. So you think Heath and Pel’s records were comparable?  Sheesh.

Records have nothing to do with my post. What I stated is true.

hawg66

« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2018, 12:22:42 pm »

The last time Arkansas had 9 new faces on the men's basketball team, the team totally tanked that season and certain members of this board raked that coach over the coals unmercifully for it the next 2 years until he was finally run off. I wonder if they'll give Mike the same treatment if this year's team tanks? I doubt it for obvious reasons.
If Andersonís team tanks next season and he follows it with two more years like Pel had after that Anderson will be gone and very  few will be defending him. Youíre still defending Pel eight years later. Am I to assume the reason is obvious?

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2018, 06:11:42 pm »

If Anderson’s team tanks next season and he follows it with two more years like Pel had after that Anderson will be gone and very  few will be defending him. You’re still defending Pel eight years later. Am I to assume the reason is obvious?

Pelphrey's last Hog team earned an NIT bid but Long turned it down after firing Pelphrey. I don't know how Pelphrey would have done those next 2 years but with what he had returning and the Freshmen class he had coming in, he deserved at least another year. He got a dirty deal.

hawg66

« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2018, 06:56:25 pm »

Pelphrey's last Hog team earned an NIT bid but Long turned it down after firing Pelphrey. I don't know how Pelphrey would have done those next 2 years but with what he had returning and the Freshmen class he had coming in, he deserved at least another year. He got a dirty deal.
Obviously...

You donít even realize what youíre doing do you?

HogBreath

« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2018, 08:44:19 pm »

And Pel and Heath showed you how bad it can really get. Still havenít recovered fully.
Mike hitting the snooze button on recruiting for 5-6 years didn't help any.

Randohoggie

• Varsity
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2018, 09:03:11 pm »

This is 100% myth.

HoopS

« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2018, 10:12:28 pm »

Mike hitting the snooze button on recruiting for 5-6 years didn't help any.
3 ncaat during that time. And he didnít even try to recruit. Itís insane how well he coached up all the scrubs to 27, 26 and 23 wins. Imagine if he had of even tried to recruit.

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2018, 10:32:36 pm »

3 2 ncaat during that time. And he didnít even try to recruit. Itís insane how well he coached up all the scrubs to 27, 26 and 23 wins. Imagine if he had of even tried to recruit.
At least be accurate, took 7 years to get to that 3rd one.

Pork Twain

« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2018, 10:37:27 pm »

And Pel and Heath showed you how bad it can really get. Still haven’t recovered fully.
No, we have not recovered from making three poor hires in a row.  It is LONG past time to stop blaming those two for the current state of apathy.

Pork Twain

« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2018, 10:38:07 pm »

HawgHeadCheese

• Senior
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2018, 11:28:29 pm »

Can't even enjoy a good thread anymore lol

MakingPlays

« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2018, 11:49:32 pm »

So, let me see if I got this straight...  You think Pelphrey deserved another year and got a dirty deal when in his 4 years he missed the NCAA tournament 3 times, only had 1 winning season in conference, had 39% wins in conference, not to mention APR problems and huge roster turnover.

But, you think CMA is doing a bad job when he's been to the tournament 3 of his last 4 years, has a 57 win percentage in conference, and has only had 1 losing season in conference in 7 years.  Not too mention season ticket sales being up as well as selling games out, and graduating his players and keeping APR up.

Do you see how one might have a dilemma taking you seriously, when you say stuff like that?

razorback1829

« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2018, 01:25:36 am »

So, let me see if I got this straight...  You think Pelphrey deserved another year and got a dirty deal when in his 4 years he missed the NCAA tournament 3 times, only had 1 winning season in conference, had 39% wins in conference, not to mention APR problems and huge roster turnover.

But, you think CMA is doing a bad job when he's been to the tournament 3 of his last 4 years, has a 57 win percentage in conference, and has only had 1 losing season in conference in 7 years.  Not too mention season ticket sales being up as well as selling games out, and graduating his players and keeping APR up.

Do you see how one might have a dilemma taking you seriously, when you say stuff like that?

Finally something that makes sense. People can be rather idiotic trying to run their agenda though.

Pork Twain

« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2018, 04:21:47 am »

Can't even enjoy a good thread anymore lol
Tell me about it, it is hard to enjoy anything basketball related when we have dropped so low, that just winning more than we lose is the main reason we should keep a coach.

HogBreath

« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2018, 05:55:07 am »

3 ncaat during that time. And he didnít even try to recruit. Itís insane how well he coached up all the scrubs to 27, 26 and 23 wins. Imagine if he had of even tried to recruit.
7 years, 3 ncaa tourneys, 2-3 record in the dance.  Do we have a great coach or what?  Too bad we can't play SWAC teams all the time to pad that win total.

But heck yeah, yuck it up...hope you enjoy your precious fast forty system.

HoopS

« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2018, 06:10:34 am »

7 years, 3 ncaa tourneys, 2-3 record in the dance.  Do we have a great coach or what?  Too bad we can't play SWAC teams all the time to pad that win total.

But heck yeah, yuck it up...hope you enjoy your precious fast forty system.
I donít give rats ass about his system. I could move on to the next coach with no problems.

Iím not yucking it up. Just posting a bad response to an equally bad post by you. Seemed appropriate.

HoopS

« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2018, 06:11:54 am »

At least be accurate, took 7 years to get to that 3rd one.
you read that post I quoted and then took mine literal?

HawgHeadCheese

• Senior
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2018, 06:49:08 am »

Tell me about it, it is hard to enjoy anything basketball related when we have dropped so low, that just winning more than we lose is the main reason we should keep a coach.
I don't think we dropped low and I'm actually ok with the current state of basketball. As long as we continue to get to the tournament. I'm speaking on every thread getting off topic and turning into a argument. I might have to stay in MMQB it's a little more optimistic there.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2018, 06:55:28 am »

Pelphrey didn't cause the roster turnover and APR problems, Stan Heath did that. By the time Pelphrey was terminated he had repaired the APR problems to the point where Anderson only lost one scholarship rather than Multiple scholarships. His last team received an NIT bid (which Long turned down) and he had a top 10 freshman class coming in the next year. People blaming Pelphrey for the APR and roster turnover problems are DEAD WRONG.

Mike Anderson has indeed done well making the NCAA Tournament 3 of the last 4 years but this will be his 8th season at Arkansas so it's time to start getting past the second round. As far as roster turnover issues go, Mike has the same problem next year that Pel had in his second year so why are you giving Mike a pass while criticizing Pel for it? Arkansas had just come off of 3 straight trips to the NCAA Tournament when it happened to Pelphrey, thanks to Stan Heath's unbalanced recruiting practices.

Captain Morgan

« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2018, 09:07:36 am »

Ill keep it simple and politically correct here. Without saying names Pelphrey's great class in 2011 was mostly busts. It was ranked 8th nationally and 2nd in the SEC. Yet only one of the 5 recruits panned out to the hype and that guy left to play in Europe after this sophomore year. So recruiting is not an exact science.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2018, 09:17:20 am »

Ill keep it simple and politically correct here. Without saying names Pelphrey's great class in 2011 was mostly busts. It was ranked 8th nationally and 2nd in the SEC. Yet only one of the 5 recruits panned out to the hype and that guy left to play in Europe after this sophomore year. So recruiting is not an exact science.

That's because they were not recruited to play Mike Anderson's style of basketball. The fact that only one player panned out at Arkansas had far more to do with playing a style of basketball that they weren't recruited to play rather than lack of talent. Neither you nor I have any idea whatsoever how those recruits would have performed in Pelphrey's system.

cram224

« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2018, 09:27:11 am »

I think we all can agree the last three coaching hires suck. We need to move on.

hawg66

« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2018, 09:31:35 am »

I think we all can agree the last three coaching hires suck. We need to move on.
We all agree?  How long have you been on Hogville?

MakingPlays

« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2018, 10:02:47 am »

Pelphrey didn't cause the roster turnover and APR problems, Stan Heath did that. By the time Pelphrey was terminated he had repaired the APR problems to the point where Anderson only lost one scholarship rather than Multiple scholarships. His last team received an NIT bid (which Long turned down) and he had a top 10 freshman class coming in the next year. People blaming Pelphrey for the APR and roster turnover problems are DEAD WRONG.

Mike Anderson has indeed done well making the NCAA Tournament 3 of the last 4 years but this will be his 8th season at Arkansas so it's time to start getting past the second round. As far as roster turnover issues go, Mike has the same problem next year that Pel had in his second year so why are you giving Mike a pass while criticizing Pel for it? Arkansas had just come off of 3 straight trips to the NCAA Tournament when it happened to Pelphrey, thanks to Stan Heath's unbalanced recruiting practices.

You have to be the biggest hypocrite of all time.  You've made a living of coming on here and trashing everything CMA has accomplished, but have the audacity to come on here and try to paint a picture like Pelphrey got a bad deal and act like he was a good coach.  He had 1 NCAA appearance in 4 years (with another coaches players) and 1 winning season in conference, including the embarrassing back to back 14 win seasons. This is the same guy that said after a loss sometimes you just need to have a good bleed.  He was a laughing stock.  That's why he's sitting on the bench as an assistant now and nobody else ever gave him another head coaching job.  Even Heath was able to get another HC job because he at least showed he had somewhat of an idea of how to be a head coach.  John Pelphrey was out of his depth and we went ahead and let him have that good bleed he was looking for. 

If CMA winning percentage was even remotely close to Pelphrey's you'd be on here starting a petition to have the fans remove him from the program.  So, stop acting like this is strictly about wins and losses with you, I don't think you've fooled a single person with that narrative.  Anyone can read your post and know you just don't like CMA.  Just say so, at least then some people might actually respect you for being honest, instead of embarrassing yourself in every thread with these hypocritical posts.

MakingPlays

« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2018, 10:41:55 am »

That's because they were not recruited to play Mike Anderson's style of basketball. The fact that only one player panned out at Arkansas had far more to do with playing a style of basketball that they weren't recruited to play rather than lack of talent. Neither you nor I have any idea whatsoever how those recruits would have performed in Pelphrey's system.

So let me get this scenario you have here straight...

Hunter Michelson couldn't play well for Mike Anderson or see the court for Bill Self, but would have been a stud under Pelphrey?

Aaron Ross, would have magically qualified if Pelphrey remained the coach?

Devonta Abron, only had a career average of 5.3 PPG at TCU and never was a consistent starter on a team with less talent than Arkansas, but at Arkansas under Pelphrey he would have thrived?

BJ Young would have actually played defense and not been so focused on the NBA, had the great motivator John Pelphrey been coach?

And Ky Madden would have been a stud his freshman and sophomore years and stayed out of trouble had Pelphrey been here to coach him, because Pelphrey is known worldwide for his great player development and tough disciplinarian style.

That class had arguably 2 players that ended up being decent players for the Hogs.  Ky Madden had his off the court issues almost every year, but he did end up being a solid 4 year player.  Nothing special though.  BJ Young was a great offensive player, but it was clear no matter who the coach was he was only here for 1 or 2 years.  For you to try to paint another picture that if Pelphrey was here, this class would have somehow ended up being more than it was is laughable. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:18:55 am by MakingPlays »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas