Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by woodrow hog call on 26 Mar 2018
  • Very sad story about the family from Iowa that died in Mexico. We have rented houses for a week at a time in various places, not really thinking about toxic gas or things like this, might be a good idea pack a CO2  detector on your next trip. Has anybody ever thought about this happening?

CO2Meter AZ-0004 Indoor Air Quality CO2 Meter, Temperature and Relative Humidity, White
    4.3 out of 5 stars    123 customer reviews  | 42 answered questions
    Price:   $109.00 Free Shipping for Prime Members

"Autopsies had indicated the family died from inhaling toxic gas in the resort of Tulum, but the source hadn't been determined.

Jana Weland, Amy Sharp's cousin, told the Des Moines Register Monday that they were informed of the suspected source of the leak by the U.S. Consulate in Mexico. The family is working on getting the bodies back to U.S. soil for a funeral.

Photos released by Pech's office over the weekend showed investigators in anti-contamination suits and firefighters with air tanks examining gas connections to a stove in the condo in Tulum. The office said investigators "carried out a physical investigation of the gas connections in the room," and the civil defense office of Tulum would issue a technical report on the findings."
  • #2 by Boarcephus on 26 Mar 2018
  • I've been following this.  This just confirms why I will never return to Mexico.  There is not one thing about that place that is safe.  Back in the 70's, one two separate occasions we hitched bass boats up to our cars and drove a couple hundred miles south of the border to bass fish one of the lakes.  Camped out in tents, paid the locals $10 to watch our stuff and never worried that much about it but never again.   
  • #3 by majestic on 26 Mar 2018
  • I've been following this.  This just confirms why I will never return to Mexico.  There is not one thing about that place that is safe.  Back in the 70's, one two separate occasions we hitched bass boats up to our cars and drove a couple hundred miles south of the border to bass fish one of the lakes.  Camped out in tents, paid the locals $10 to watch our stuff and never worried that much about it but never again.   
    Tragic, for sure. I don't think I'd blame the entire country for it, though.
  • #4 by Boarcephus on 27 Mar 2018
  • Tragic, for sure. I don't think I'd blame the entire country for it, though.

Not because of this one episode but Mexico is not safe for anybody. Had a couple family members just get back from an all inclusive deal and was told not to leave the resort. 

If you enjoy Mexico and feel safe while down there, by all means keep going but we won't be going back.
  • #5 by DeltaBoy on 05 Apr 2018
  • I been told by several feds I know not to go at all. 
  • #6 by Boarcephus on 15 Apr 2018

Did you catch the recent news?  On April 4, 9 people were executed in Cancun and 14 during a 36 hour period. 
  • #7 by majestic on 15 Apr 2018
  • Did you catch the recent news?  On April 4, 9 people were executed in Cancun and 14 during a 36 hour period. 
    I did, but didn't catch the details. Were these tourists or drug gang members? Mexico seriously needs to get the cartels under control. The government only seems to get serious when it starts to impact tourism. A few years back, a group of wanna-be cartel members kidnapped a group of tourists on a jungle tour in PV. The local military executed those guys 36 hours later. It still disrupted the cruise lines from coming to port for a couple of years.

No tourists have been bothered since. Doesn't mean it will never happen again, but messing with a town's overwhelming source of income tends to result in pretty severe consequences.
  • #8 by Boarcephus on 15 Apr 2018
  • I did, but didn't catch the details. Were these tourists or drug gang members? Mexico seriously needs to get the cartels under control. The government only seems to get serious when it starts to impact tourism. A few years back, a group of wanna-be cartel members kidnapped a group of tourists on a jungle tour in PV. The local military executed those guys 36 hours later. It still disrupted the cruise lines from coming to port for a couple of years.

No tourists have been bothered since. Doesn't mean it will never happen again, but messing with a town's overwhelming source of income tends to result in pretty severe consequences.

From what I read it was drug gang/relatives who were executed. 

I'm not sure the Mexican Gov't is capable of getting the cartels under control.  I'm sure the Mexican gov't treats Cancun like the NO Police treat Bourbon Street but sometimes people wind up in the wrong place at the wrong time. 
  • #9 by majestic on 15 Apr 2018
  • I'm not sure the Mexican Gov't is capable of getting the cartels under control. 

Capable? Yes. Willing? No. The cartels basically fund the candidates there. Until the cartels screw up too much.
  • #10 by Jackrabbit Hog on 24 Apr 2018

Pages:
Actions