Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by mgolf on 19 Mar 2018
  • Stopped in at Harp's on 265 and found a whole pallet of Ozark Oak lump charcoal. 20 pound bag was $12. Can't wait to use it and see if anything has changed.
  • #2 by PharmacistHog on 19 Mar 2018
  • I had heard they were just getting rid of some leftover stock.
  • #3 by Boarcephus on 20 Mar 2018
  • I think I'll swing by this am and check it out.  I don't suppose charcoal would deteriorate as long as it were kept dry, would it??
  • #4 by DeltaBoy on 20 Mar 2018
  • I miss Ozark Oak but Royal Oak working so far.
  • #5 by Hog_Swanson on 20 Mar 2018
  • I miss Ozark Oak but Royal Oak working so far.
    If I'm not mistaking, it's the same company.
  • #6 by Boarcephus on 20 Mar 2018
  • If I'm not mistaking, it's the same company.

That's what I thought.  Same stuff just in the Royal Oak bag.
  • #7 by Hog_Swanson on 20 Mar 2018
  • That's what I thought.  Same stuff just in the Royal Oak bag.
    I'm pretty sure they make that stuff out in Madison County.
  • #8 by twistitup on 20 Mar 2018
  • Bought some

Yellville back again
  • #9 by Boarcephus on 20 Mar 2018
  • Just got back from Harps and bought 4 bags.  I talked to the grocery manager and he said they got a note about a month ago saying they were going to start carrying it again so I'm guessing this stuff is new.  I had a lady check the price and evidently the $11.98 a bag is the sale price and may go up a buck when the sale is off.   

As a comparison, found some BGE the other day in 20 pound bags and the price was almost $30! 
  • #10 by DeltaBoy on 20 Mar 2018
  • BGE is over priced !
  • #11 by PharmacistHog on 20 Mar 2018
  • Ive been buying parker’s. They carry it at congo stove in benton. $20/20lb bag and comparable to ozark oak or rockwood.
  • #12 by twistitup on 20 Mar 2018
  • Just got back from Harps and bought 4 bags.  I talked to the grocery manager and he said they got a note about a month ago saying they were going to start carrying it again so I'm guessing this stuff is new.  I had a lady check the price and evidently the $11.98 a bag is the sale price and may go up a buck when the sale is off.   

As a comparison, found some BGE the other day in 20 pound bags and the price was almost $30! 

They tried bagging for a private label...then found out it wasn't as lucrative as selling direct or the brand they were bagging for tried to lower the price (if Wal Mart was involved this is what happened) and said F it - we will just go back to selling Oz Oak.
  • #13 by Boarcephus on 20 Mar 2018
  • They tried bagging for a private label...then found out it wasn't as lucrative as selling direct or the brand they were bagging for tried to lower the price (if Wal Mart was involved this is what happened) and said F it - we will just go back to selling Oz Oak.

That may very well be what happened.  A 15 1/2 bag of Royal Oak goes for about $10 at Walmart.

Just makes me wonder, if Ozark Oak is not making charcoal for Royal Oak, wonder what RO is putting in their bags these days?  The only reason I switched to RO was because Ozark Oak was putting their product in the RO bags. 
  • #14 by twistitup on 20 Mar 2018
  • That may very well be what happened.  A 15 1/2 bag of Royal Oak goes for about $10 at Walmart.

Just makes me wonder, if Ozark Oak is not making charcoal for Royal Oak, wonder what RO is putting in their bags these days?  The only reason I switched to RO was because Ozark Oak was putting their product in the RO bags. 

Royal Oak is the company they were bagging for....and in true WM fashion they tried to low ball the manufacturer - they have put a many of company out of business doing this. Ozark Oak already had a following - they will be fine. 
  • #15 by Boarcephus on 20 Mar 2018
  • Royal Oak is the company they were bagging for....and in true WM fashion they tried to low ball the manufacturer - they have put a many of company out of business doing this. Ozark Oak already had a following - they will be fine. 

Sounds good.  Always have liked doing business with local people when I can.  I ordered a CC holster last week from a one man operation up around Conway who came with rave reviews.  Can't wait to get that mother in.
  • #16 by DeltaBoy on 23 Mar 2018
  • I got a nice 2 pack of Royal Oak and one I get over my own spring sickness I going to get the Weber smoking.
  • #17 by ozarkshogfan on 01 Apr 2018
  • Royal Oak is the company they were bagging for....and in true WM fashion they tried to low ball the manufacturer - they have put a many of company out of business doing this. Ozark Oak already had a following - they will be fine. 
    I live a couple miles from the Ozark Oak kilns and know the guys that started it They started bagging for RO but ended up selling out to them.  RO got the warehouse full of OO and really just started selling it again
  • #18 by twistitup on 01 Apr 2018
  • I live a couple miles from the Ozark Oak kilns and know the guys that started it They started bagging for RO but ended up selling out to them.  RO got the warehouse full of OO and really just started selling it again

It's great that OO is back selling!

• #19 by ozarkshogfan on 01 Apr 2018
  • That's what I thought.  Same stuff just in the Royal Oak bag.
    It's the same stuff.  Slabs come from same sawmills, made in the same kilns but RO owns it...
  • #20 by ozarkshogfan on 01 Apr 2018
  • I don't think RO is gonna bag any more in OO bags, just moving what's been sitting around since they bought the place
  • #21 by DeltaBoy on 03 Apr 2018
  • It all good.
  • #22 by ozarkshogfan on 12 Apr 2018
  • According to the former owner of Ozark Oak, when he sold to Royal Oak he left around a 100,000 empty Ozark Oak bags there. RO didn't bag any charcoal in them bags. Duraflame just bought Royal Oak a couple months ago and are bagging in the OO bags for now but own the name and logo...
  • #23 by DeltaBoy on 13 Apr 2018
  • Thanks
  • #24 by bigstyx on 17 Apr 2018
  • Bought 2 bags yesterday, still $11.98. Haven't opened or used them yet. Optimistic that it will be the same Ozark Oak quality we had been used to.
  • #25 by twistitup on 17 Apr 2018
  • Bought 2 bags yesterday, still $11.98. Haven't opened or used them yet. Optimistic that it will be the same Ozark Oak quality we had been used to.

It's the good stuff, I've been buying and using it.
  • #26 by hogbud on 17 Apr 2018
  • Bought a couple bags - hope it stays on market. Have had decent luck with Cowboy brand at Atwood’s prior.
  • #27 by ozarkshogfan on 19 Apr 2018
  • The last couple 20 pound bags I got worked great but lots of it was pretty big pieces, but not a problem.  The reason ya didn't see 20 pound bags before is because that's what Ozark Oak guys sold to BBQ joints.....
  • #28 by DeltaBoy on 21 Sep 2018
  • Stocked up on Royal Oak!
Pages:
Actions