• 10,015,821 Posts
• 401,468 Topics
• 22,976 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alotian Golf Club  (Read 34887 times)

Hawg414

Re: Alotian Golf Club
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2018, 02:07:02 pm »

I am told that the name Alotian came from the first letters of the names of some friends of Warren. 

seems i remember either seeing a quote or reading a quote from Warren where he said the name came from an annual golf trip he and his other gazillionairre friends would take... and they called it "A-merica's L-ights O-ut T-our."  and they referred to themselves as the Alotians.  which all sounds pretty gay to me... but i suppose if you have a billionmillion dollars, and you build yourself a kickass course, you can call it any damn thing ya want.

and regardless of where "Alotian" came from, i do kinda like the name.  it just sounds like a golf course.. and has a classy ring to it.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2018, 02:20:26 pm »

and regardless of where "Alotian" came from, i do kinda like the name.  it just sounds like a golf course.. and has a classy ring to it.

sounds Polynesian to me. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

GolfNut57

« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2018, 03:22:17 pm »

seems i remember either seeing a quote or reading a quote from Warren where he said the name came from an annual golf trip he and his other gazillionairre friends would take... and they called it "A-merica's L-ights O-ut T-our."  and they referred to themselves as the Alotians.  which all sounds pretty gay to me... but i suppose if you have a billionmillion dollars, and you build yourself a kickass course, you can call it any damn thing ya want.

Aside from being pronounced similar to the Aleutian Islands near Alaska, to me the name Alotian sounds like a race of people that Capt Kirk might run across in Star Trek.

In fact.....hmmm......Capt. Kirk did in fact appear in a show about the "Lotians" in an episode called "A piece of the pie" concerning Italian style gangsters/mob.

Martygit

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Off to the woods
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2018, 04:12:48 pm »

Sounds as good as anything I heard - and, I like the name too

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2018, 08:54:41 pm »

It putts Alotian on the skin.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2018, 10:58:15 am »

Nothing is as bad as Memphis. But I live in LR now. Memphis permanently in my rear view mirror. Thanks be to God.
I made the same move in 94. Haven't missed Memphis a bit.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2018, 08:50:21 am »

I made the same move in 94. Haven't missed Memphis a bit.

Iím guessing youíve never been to Detroit or Chicago. Memphis has bad areas and issues, but so do all big cities. Heck thereís parts of Little Rock I stay out of.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2018, 11:07:46 pm »

Iím guessing youíve never been to Detroit or Chicago. Memphis has bad areas and issues, but so do all big cities. Heck thereís parts of Little Rock I stay out of.

Actually I've spent a lot of time in both. Had National accounts in Detroit and had an office on W. 80th in Chicago. I lived in Memphis from 1960 until 1994. Grew up in Whitehaven, Fairley High and U of Memphis grad. From the early 80's I lived in GTown and then Cordova. The problem is the bad parts of Memphis gradually all merged together.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2018, 11:31:39 pm »

Actually I've spent a lot of time in both. Had National accounts in Detroit and had an office on W. 80th in Chicago. I lived in Memphis from 1960 until 1994. Grew up in Whitehaven, Fairley High and U of Memphis grad. From the early 80's I lived in GTown and then Cordova. The problem is the bad parts of Memphis gradually all merged together.
Yep. You describe Memphis perfectly. I lived there from '84 to '15. YOu cannot get from one part of town to another without going through sketchy areas if not downright ghettos. Not to mention the train track that catches you multiple times per day along Poplar. Very stressful living there. Fairley High...bad area now. So is Cordova.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2018, 10:03:51 am »

Back to the primary topic. Was at Alotian a few weeks ago. Man, she is a beautiful course. Can I call a golf course a "she"? Not to mention the service..."what brand of balls do you prefer to practice with on the range?"

GolfNut57

« Reply #160 on: June 27, 2018, 12:06:39 pm »

Back to the primary topic. Was at Alotian a few weeks ago. Man, she is a beautiful course. Can I call a golf course a "she"? Not to mention the service..."what brand of balls do you prefer to practice with on the range?"

So how did you like being a busboy at their restaurant for the snobs?  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas