• 395,370 Topics
• 22,296 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coaching staff at football camp  (Read 1108 times)

HogFan219

Coaching staff at football camp
« on: June 10, 2018, 06:46:18 pm »

My son attended one of the football camps last week. I hung around most of the day watching the campers, UA players and the coaching staff. I was very impressed with the level of interaction that the coaches and players had with the kids. They appeared to be a very cohesive staff, and the players showed a healthy level of respect for the coaches. I can’t really describe it better than it seemed like the relationship between a father and son - caring, but you know who daddy is. Not Petrino, and not Bielema. Somewhere in between the two.

Here are a few mental notes I made as well:

1. The UA players that I saw have lost a LOT of weight. I stood 2 feet from Whaley at the end of the camp. If he would’ve told me that he has lost 20 lbs, I wouldn’t doubt it. Johnny Gibson looks completely different. Agim looks leaner, too. There were others, but these guys really stood out to me.

2.  The Chief is intense! A group of middle school guys (7/8 graders?) weren’t moving like he wanted and he lit a fire under their rear ends! There were some big eyes and a lot of quick “yes sir” being thrown out. He was also just as quick to praise one young guy a minute later who made a great looking form tackle on a dummy. He might not be a spring chicken anymore, but the fire is there.

3.  The coaches were sincerely involved with the kids. They got into the 7 on 7 games, really coached up the kids who just haven’t seen their talent develop much yet and I saw them talk to a couple of kids and their parents to compliment them on a great camp at the end. The UA players were also very involved. I watched a couple of players “air bump” a few kids who just don’t have much talent yet but made some good and improbable plays in 7 on 7 games, high 5s, etc. The kids ate it up. Players and coaches got after each other a little bit if a questionable call got made or overturned. They were having fun!

4. I really appreciated CCM’s comments to the campers and parents in wrapping it up that they have to make their grades or they really have no chance to play after HS at a D1 level. Choose friends wisely. Be very careful on social media because it’s standard practice for coaches and recruiting staff to monitor the guys. Lastly, be respectful to those who are paying for your life and be grateful and humble.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
Re: Coaching staff at football camp
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 08:17:00 pm »

Thanks for sharing. Posts like these are why people come here. We never hear from them. They are smart enough to read the good stuff and ignore the silliness.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

JIHawg

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:34:27 pm »

Great post!

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 08:41:59 pm »

My son attended one of the football camps last week. I hung around most of the day watching the campers, UA players and the coaching staff. I was very impressed with the level of interaction that the coaches and players had with the kids. They appeared to be a very cohesive staff, and the players showed a healthy level of respect for the coaches. I can’t really describe it better than it seemed like the relationship between a father and son - caring, but you know who daddy is. Not Petrino, and not Bielema. Somewhere in between the two.

1. The UA players that I saw have lost a LOT of weight. I stood 2 feet from Whaley at the end of the camp. If he would’ve told me that he has lost 20 lbs, I wouldn’t doubt it. Johnny Gibson looks completely different. Agim looks leaner, too. There were others, but these guys really stood out to me.

2.  The Chief is intense! A group of middle school guys (7/8 graders?) weren’t moving like he wanted and he lit a fire under their rear ends! There were some big eyes and a lot of quick “yes sir” being thrown out. He was also just as quick to praise one young guy a minute later who made a great looking form tackle on a dummy. He might not be a spring chicken anymore, but the fire is there.

3.  The coaches were sincerely involved with the kids. They got into the 7 on 7 games, really coached up the kids who just haven’t seen their talent develop much yet and I saw them talk to a couple of kids and their parents to compliment them on a great camp at the end. The UA players were also very involved. I watched a couple of players “air bump” a few kids who just don’t have much talent yet but made some good and improbable plays in 7 on 7 games, high 5s, etc. The kids ate it up. Players and coaches got after each other a little bit if a questionable call got made or overturned. They were having fun!

4. I really appreciated CCM’s comments to the campers and parents in wrapping it up that they have to make their grades or they really have no chance to play after HS at a D1 level. Choose friends wisely. Be very careful on social media because it’s standard practice for coaches and recruiting staff to monitor the guys. Lastly, be respectful to those who are paying for your life and be grateful and humble.

Good read HogFan, very well done!

VirginiaHog

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 10:46:27 pm »

I too was at one (Saturday evening) with my son. Staff was awesome. Met Cheif for the first time while son was getting measurements. Great down to earth guy.
C Morris was making his way around to all the parents thanking them for being there. Got a chance to speek with him.
Coach Scott was awesome. Great teacher and passionate. Caldwell and Fry were more observing. But both were funny. Fry seems like a great guy.
As to the players, Sosa looked rock solid. Armon was slim and trim. Mike woods is legit tall, built. Gonna do great things. Whaley did look lighter. K Rich gave a good message about never giving up on dreams. Morris warned about social media and not being a "problem" or you won't be recruited.
Overall very impressed.
Oh and on a side note, the TE from McKinney who got the offer is a big strong young man. And Trace  Ford who was in my son's group is a great athlete. Very fast and seemed to like being coached. Seemed very thin for a DE though.
Great Camp

sowmonella

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Who threw a pizza on my roof?
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 08:02:18 am »

Nice post 219. Keep em coming.

nchogg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 08:08:33 am »

Thanks HOGFAN I enjoyed reading your post.

LRhawg926

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 08:31:06 am »

Took my son to the camp this past weekend. The staff was incredible. I loved the tour of the football center! Awesome facilities, Awesome staff! They do a great job interacting with the kids.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas