Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Cinco de Hogo on 10 Jun 2018
  • Anyone keeping up?  What’s happening?
    • Cinco de Hogo
  • #2 by oldhawg on 10 Jun 2018
  • #3 by Cinco de Hogo on 10 Jun 2018
  • Eleventh & Twelth

https://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/track-field/results/d1/outdoor18/Finals/scores.htm

Thanks!

So, sixth in SEC in women’s and seventh in men’s by my count.  Hope it’s just a one year thing.
    • Cinco de Hogo
  • #4 by ICEman on 10 Jun 2018
  • Thanks!

So, sixth in SEC in women’s and seventh in men’s by my count.  Hope it’s just a one year thing.
    For the women yes, for the men the cupboard is and will be a bit bare. I don’t think Bucknam can recruit enough talent out of Iowa to restock his squad.
  • #5 by hoglady on 10 Jun 2018
  • The next news out of track and field should be that Bucknam has been told to find another job and we find a coach worthy of this program.
  • #6 by razorback44 on 10 Jun 2018
  • The next news out of track and field should be that Bucknam has been told to find another job and we find a coach worthy of this program.

One can only hope. He’s absolutely destroyed the program, at this position.
  • #7 by Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on 10 Jun 2018
  • One can only hope. He’s absolutely destroyed the program, at this position.

Who hired him?
    The same guy who didn't want anyone with Arkansas connections?
  • #8 by Iwastherein1969 on 11 Jun 2018
  • we have lost the intimidation factor we once had...it's gone
  • #9 by ICEman on 11 Jun 2018
    Coach Flo coaxed Sydney McLaughlin out of New Jersey to come run in the SEC at least for one year. Coach Floréal has a nose for talent and was part of several Razorback National Championship teams.
  • #10 by Peter Porker on 11 Jun 2018
  • I have been saying this for a while about the men's team. The coaches simply can't recruit. There are some other issues as well. Find out where former Razorback and current professional hurdler, Omar McLeod, is training. It ain't Fayetteville like it was at first. Try freakin Lexington.
  • #11 by peakhog on 11 Jun 2018
  • Flo knows Track! Bring him home!
  • #12 by hoglady on 11 Jun 2018
  • I've never emailed the AD at Arkansas before - but I think I'm going to send Yuracheck an email.

Won't mean squat I'm sure - but I will feel better.
  • #13 by Cinco de Hogo on 11 Jun 2018
  • Maybe we need another Irishman, you know tradition is important.

Traditions,
    Alabama-winning football games
    Kentucky-winning basketball games
    Arkansas-winning track and field events!!!
    • Cinco de Hogo
  • #14 by ICEman on 11 Jun 2018
  • Maybe we need another Irishman, you know tradition is important.

Traditions,
    Alabama-winning football games
    Kentucky-winning basketball games
    Arkansas-winning track and field events!!!
    I would make a big splash hire and go get that British Coach that trains Kenyan David Rudisha et. Al.
  • #15 by hoglady on 11 Jun 2018
  • Do any of you think Bucknam is on thin ice or will he be allowed to stay long enough to totally destroy it all.
  • #16 by Cinco de Hogo on 11 Jun 2018
  • Do any of you think Bucknam is on thin ice or will he be allowed to stay long enough to totally destroy it all.

With track I don’t think the natives have to get restless, there is too much history to ride with a coach that isn’t keeping us at the top.  However with Jeff Long gone I would expect a lot more research and knowledge going into a search.  No one in the Track and Field world should outbid Arkansas for a coach...no one!  You can’t wait until you lose all semblance of a top program before you make a change, as we have learned in other sports it’s very hard to get it back and it’s very hard to get it right.  Knowledge and research, then pay the money!

• Cinco de Hogo
  • #17 by tbhogfan on 12 Jun 2018
  • Who hired him?
    The same guy who didn't want anyone with Arkansas connections?
    Correctamundo.  Jeff "The Momentum Killer" Long. 

I think it is time to evaluate the program from top to bottom and determine the barriers keeping us from returning to national prominence.  I can tell you that there is still deep resentment from many alumni of the program (including myself) over the way Dick Booth was allowed to be treated.  I can tell you that there are some great former athletes (and exceedingly marginal ones like me) who feel that their contributions to the program have been marginalized.

Lastly, John turns 80 in a couple of weeks.   I personally feel that there is no greater tribute to the greatest coach the sport has ever known than to make a concerted effort to return the program to its full glory, and to return his athletes into the fold. 

• #18 by MP24 on 12 Jun 2018
  • #19 by ICEman on 12 Jun 2018
  • Program of the Year

Men-2nd
    Women-4th

http://www.ustfccca.org/2018/06/featured/alabama-stanford-named-ustfccca-ncaa-di-programs-of-the-year

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/razorbacks-finish-runner-up-in-ustfccca-program-of-the-year/

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/razorbacks-elite-team-for-sixth-consecutive-year/
    When you concentrate on all three facets of the sport the way we do it is ‘relatively’ easy to merit these kinds of awards. Teams like Florida, aTm et. Al. do not lean that heavy on their XCountry program so, they do not figure that highly in the final standings. I don’t think these paper averages are going to carry much weight with the folks who cherish this once storied and proud program.
  • #20 by Cinco de Hogo on 12 Jun 2018
  • It’s been a long time since someone has won a triple crown and I don’t know if such a thing is possible anymore but winning one or two out of three should be the expectation.

Looks like we HAVE been better across the board for the last four years but with little to no event championships.

Is that good enough?

Or should we still be expecting event championships?
    • Cinco de Hogo
  • #21 by ICEman on 13 Jun 2018
  • It’s been a long time since someone has won a triple crown and I don’t know if such a thing is possible anymore but winning one or two out of three should be the expectation.

Looks like we HAVE been better across the board for the last four years but with little to no event championships.

Is that good enough?

Or should we still be expecting event championships?
    Oregon has the best chance at the elusive Triple Crown especially after Phil Knight’s recent $500,000,000 donation to their athletic program. The Duck’s new state of the art outdoor track will seat 30,000 people for peak events and act like a magnet for recruiting. As for the Razorback Thinclads, I think coach McDonnell got it right with his focus on recruiting the best cross-country athletes first and then positioning those athletes in multiple flat/banked track events.
  • #22 by Hoggy Bear on 13 Jun 2018
  • Coach Floreal took the Texas job today. So much for bringing him home
  • #23 by ICEman on 13 Jun 2018
  • Coach Floreal took the Texas job today. So much for bringing him home
    😖...A big part of Bucknam’s problem is that he does not have a steady pipeline to any reliable and fruitful recruiting bed. Coach McDonnell of course had Ireland in which he supplemented with the occasional Brit.  The Woodlands in Texas was always a good feeder school to our program over the years. Suburban KC was also a reliable locale for a few good distance runners as well. I don’t think Bucknam’s pipeline to Iowa will ever prove to be reliable as some of Coach McDonnell’s favorite recruiting haunts. The kids that Oregon is snatching up like Edward Cheserek of recent would have had trouble telling Coach McDonnell no.
  • #24 by Ray Piggers on 14 Jun 2018
  • Why not hire away Stanley Redwine from Kansas?

Dude was a Hog under McDonnell and has been fairly successful, especially more recently.
  • #25 by ICEman on 14 Jun 2018
  • Why not hire away Stanley Redwine from Kansas?

Dude was a Hog under McDonnell and has been fairly successful, especially more recently.
    I think you have to start with a coach from a strong Cross-Country program. Michael Smith out at Northern Arizona just might be our ticket back to the top.
    https://goo.gl/v8rkYA
  • #26 by peakhog on 14 Jun 2018
  • And now Geopfert has taken the Associate HC job at Tennessee!
    I can see the bottom but we’re not there yet!
  • #27 by ICEman on 14 Jun 2018
  • Geopfert’s field crew scored 0 points at the recent NCAA Outdoor Nationals.
  • #28 by HognitiveDissonance on 15 Jun 2018
  • I think the truth is in the middle.
    Post McDonnell, a dropoff was inevitable. Repeat. INEVITABLE.
    I expected that and am fairly pleased with the job Bucknam has done. He's got one national title and a slew of SEC titles.
    I really can't say if we can do better or not. Maybe.

I was definitely a little depressed two years ago when we finished 2nd in the premier track event...NCAA Outdoors...while having one guy (Jarrion Lawson) score 31 points by himself. The thought was that if we can't win that year...are we ever going to win it again?
  • #29 by Cinco de Hogo on 15 Jun 2018
    I expected that and am fairly pleased with the job Bucknam has done. He's got one national title and a slew of SEC titles.

I was definitely a little depressed two years ago when we finished 2nd in the premier track event...NCAA Outdoors...while having one guy (Jarrion Lawson) score 31 points by himself. The thought was that if we can't win that year...are we ever going to win it again?

I understand what your saying but you can’t give an inch in your belief and determination to remain elite.  Arkansas is a school that can easliy side into oblivion in any sport as we have found out.  Many schools have went through a slump after replacing a legend and there is no bigger legend in any sport than JM.  I think the usual senario s that after a few mediocre years an elite school changes coaches again.  It’s a difficult situation and in Arkansas case the national pundits will automatically be ask “who does lil Ole Arkansas think they are”.  Well we have been, along with Oregon the premier of the elite track and field schools in the country. 

That can all be lost with bad decisions at the administration level. 
    • Cinco de Hogo
  • #30 by ICEman on 15 Jun 2018
  • Maybe ‘getting rid of’ Geopfert will open the door for more consistency in the Field and Multi-Event positions. With a bit of balance in both venues, I think we can get back on the national podium again.  As for winning consistently at the conference level, a 25’ long jumper can score decent points at a conference meet but not at a national meet. A 7’ high jumper can score points at a conference meet but not at nationals. Geopfert and Bucknam by extension have over-recruited to win conference meets but not national meets. Twenty-one (21) total points at the most recent national championships should be our total after the first day’s 10,000 m alone.
  • #31 by HognitiveDissonance on 15 Jun 2018
  • Let me ask this. Tenn women's basketball.
    Should they have expected to keep rolling along, or accepted a dropoff after Pat Summit left?

I lean towards the latter.
    Pat Summit was a once in a lifetime coach. Her replacement will not be as good. They should find a new level in hoops and accept it.
    Same thing here with John McDonnell.
    It's just reality. Otherwise, you're expecting another McDonnell-like coach to come along, and I don't think that's realistic.

The real question is of course Bucknam won't be as good as McDonnell, but is he doing well considering that fact? I don't know the answer.
  • #32 by Cinco de Hogo on 15 Jun 2018
  • Let me ask this. Tenn women's basketball.
    Should they have expected to keep rolling along, or accepted a dropoff after Pat Summit left?

I lean towards the latter.
    Pat Summit was a once in a lifetime coach. Her replacement will not be as good. They should find a new level in hoops and accept it.
    Same thing here with John McDonnell.
    It's just reality. Otherwise, you're expecting another McDonnell-like coach to come along, and I don't think that's realistic.

The real question is of course Bucknam won't be as good as McDonnell, but is he doing well considering that fact? I don't know the answer.

There is always drop-off at that level.  Speaking of Tenner, if her replacement doesn’t win an NC in say five years what would you give as her chances of being retained.  Thing is, Arkansas is every bit at that level in Track.
    • Cinco de Hogo
  • #33 by hoglady on 15 Jun 2018

Why has Bucknam not embraced the Arkansas track athletes who came before?
    It seems he's been intent on alienating them.
    Many Arkansas track athletes used to come back to the University to train - it seems not many do that anymore.

Seems to me he could have used that to his advantage.
  • #34 by TebowHater on 15 Jun 2018
  • Believe what you want, but the absolute fact of the matter is that McDonnell wanted Bucknam, which is why we have him.

Hopefully he wants someone new for his 80th birthday.
  • #35 by Rudy Baylor on 15 Jun 2018

;D

spot on Hoglady

spot....

....on...

The OP needs to change the title to "Fire Bucknam"

• #36 by Rudy Baylor on 15 Jun 2018
  • #37 by Cinco de Hogo on 15 Jun 2018
  • Believe what you want, but the absolute fact of the matter is that McDonnell wanted Bucknam, which is why we have him.

Hopefully he wants someone new for his 80th birthday.

I thought he wanted Booth.
    • Cinco de Hogo
  • #38 by oldhawg on 15 Jun 2018
  • I thought he wanted Booth.

Agreed. I don't recall McDonnell ever saying that he wanted Bucknam as his replacement.  Coach McDonnell may have had positive things to say about the hire after the fact, but you would expect nothing less from him.
  • #39 by HognitiveDissonance on 15 Jun 2018
  • There is always drop-off at that level.  Speaking of Tenner, if her replacement doesn’t win an NC in say five years what would you give as her chances of being retained.  Thing is, Arkansas is every bit at that level in Track.
    -> There is always drop-off at that level. -<

Then we agree. A dropoff was inevitable.
    It happened with Tenn women. It happened with Ark track.
  • #40 by limitless on 15 Jun 2018
  • This topic seems to be important to a lot of Hogville posters - that's great.  John was a one in a million coach.  We (and no other school) cannot replicate it.  That being said, we are slipping.  Georgia, aTm, Florida and even Bama are ahead of us. 

I want to be good at all 3 - XC, indoor and outdoor.  It's tough and Bucknam has done an admirable job but again is slipping.  Go to John's simple formula.  One athlete competing in multiple events for points rather than say the decathalon where one athlete competes in 10 events to score once.

recruit great milers with range 800 meters to 10k.  Horizontal Jumpers who can sprint. Its really math, and John figured that out early.

• #41 by Rocket23 on 15 Jun 2018
  • I was visiting with John at our reunion and he said in his opinion no one would ever be able to replicate his sustained period of success in this day and time.  And he added that he didn’t think he could do what he did back in the day now.  He said schools had wised up and more and more teams were putting more emphasis than before on distance
  • #42 by Salted Pork on 15 Jun 2018
  • Why has Bucknam not embraced the Arkansas track athletes who came before?
    It seems he's been intent on alienating them.
    Many Arkansas track athletes used to come back to the University to train - it seems not many do that anymore.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Or are you just making things up?

Omar McLeod and Wallace Spearmon are regulars at our track facilities. Jarrion Lawson bought a home nearby Fayetteville.
  • #43 by hoglady on 16 Jun 2018
  • Do you even know what you're talking about? Or are you just making things up?

Omar McLeod and Wallace Spearmon are regulars at our track facilities. Jarrion Lawson bought a home nearby Fayetteville.

No - I didn't just make that up.
    There used to be a poster on here that was a track and field athlete and that was one of his main complaints with Bucknam when he came here.

It was posted in another thread that McLeod is training at Kentucky now.

• #44 by Rocket23 on 16 Jun 2018
  • Omar is currently training at Kentucky and being trained by Edrick Floreal.  I assume now he will move to Austin.
  • #45 by ICEman on 16 Jun 2018
  • Omar is currently training at Kentucky and being trained by Edrick Floreal.  I assume now he will move to Austin.
    I imagine that Super Sydney ends up at Austin as well with her new found professional career.
  • #46 by navyhog24 on 16 Jun 2018
  • Bucknam is like the Les Miles of Arkansas T&F. He won with McDonnell’s guys, but once that talent ran out he just got worse as time went on. Now he is just mediocre like his former boss.
  • #47 by ICEman on 16 Jun 2018
  • Bucknam is like the Les Miles of Arkansas T&F. He won with McDonnell’s guys, but once that talent ran out he just got worse as time went on. Now he is just mediocre like his former boss.
    🧐I know years have a way of fusing together as we age but, I would have you inspect the McDonnell to Bucknam timeline a bit closer.
  • #48 by Peter Porker on 19 Jun 2018
  • Maybe ‘getting rid of’ Geopfert will open the door for more consistency in the Field and Multi-Event positions. With a bit of balance in both venues, I think we can get back on the national podium again.  As for winning consistently at the conference level, a 25’ long jumper can score decent points at a conference meet but not at a national meet. A 7’ high jumper can score points at a conference meet but not at nationals. Geopfert and Bucknam by extension have over-recruited to win conference meets but not national meets. Twenty-one (21) total points at the most recent national championships should be our total after the first day’s 10,000 m alone.

He wasn't the problem. Look at Case.
  • #49 by ICEman on 19 Jun 2018
  • He wasn't the problem. Look at Case.
    Why stop this ‘looking process’ at Case?
  • #50 by Cinco de Hogo on 19 Jun 2018
  • So we have a Case?
    • Cinco de Hogo
Pages:
Actions